Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new favorite Jet player

2 posters

Go down

My new favorite Jet player Empty My new favorite Jet player

Post by wassejet Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 pm

DT Damon "Snacks" Harrison #94. Just bought a personalized T-shirt with his name and number. I hope I don't jinx him!

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

My new favorite Jet player Empty Re: My new favorite Jet player

Post by LRJets Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Excellent choice!
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:32 pm

LRJets wrote:Excellent choice!
Back in the early Ryan days the Jets had Kris Jenkins at NT. They had a pretty dominating defense with him. Then he got hurt and Pouha played NT. Pouha wasn't bad, but not dominating like Jenkins. I think Harrison can be a dominating force in the middle like Jenkins was.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:Excellent choice!
Back in the early Ryan days the Jets had Kris Jenkins at NT. They had a pretty dominating defense with him. Then he got hurt and Pouha played NT. Pouha wasn't bad, but not dominating like Jenkins. I think Harrison can be a dominating force in the middle like Jenkins was.
This season promises to be an exciting one without the circus.  I wish Rex would just dial it down a bit, but that's Rex.  He has some on the team bellowing.  8-8 should really play the games first in this new season.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:30 pm

LRJets wrote:

This season promises to be an exciting one without the circus.  I wish Rex would just dial it down a bit, but that's Rex.  He has some on the team bellowing.  8-8 should really play the games first in this new season.
Thankfully, we have Johnny Manziel this year. He seems to be sucking up all the media oxygen. I tune into the NFL Network several times a day and I hardly hear anything about Jets camp. I agree with you. I think the Jets are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:19 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Thankfully, we have Johnny Manziel this year. He seems to be sucking up all the media oxygen. I tune into the NFL Network several times a day and I hardly hear anything about Jets camp. I agree with you. I think the Jets are going to surprise a lot of people this year.
Last night was the annual Green and White scrimmage.  This morning's headlines expound on the defense of said scrimmage.  I prefer a scrimmage against another team because the other way casts a light making one unit shine at the expense of the other.   Colts Thursday.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 am

LRJets wrote:

Last night was the annual Green and White scrimmage.  This morning's headlines expound on the defense of said scrimmage.  I prefer a scrimmage against another team because the other way casts a light making one unit shine at the expense of the other.   Colts Thursday.
You would expect that to happen with this offense (a work in progress) going against this defense (a very good one.) You could also look at it as a good yardstick for the offense because they went up against a defense which many consider to be one of the NFL's best. The good news was that no one got hurt. I am reading about teams losing good players already. Calvin Pryor's concussion injury is troubling. This guy made a reputation as someone who likes to hit. To have this kind of injury so early in his career doesn't bode well.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:45 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

You would expect that to happen with this offense (a work in progress) going against this defense (a very good one.) You could also look at it as a good yardstick for the offense because they went up against a defense which many consider to be one of the NFL's best. The good news was that no one got hurt. I am reading about teams losing good players already. Calvin Pryor's concussion injury is troubling. This guy made a reputation as someone who likes to hit. To have this kind of injury so early in his career doesn't bode well.

Everything being equal, after 8 or 9 days, the defense should be ahead of the offense.  On the Sports NY (SNY) Jets blog, a few of the impatient are criticizing Idzik for not bundling a couple of his 12 draft choices to get another "name" WR.  
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:39 pm

LRJets wrote:

..... the defense should be ahead of the offense.  On the Sports NY (SNY) Jets blog, a few of the impatient are criticizing Idzik for not bundling a couple of his 12 draft choices to get another "name" WR.  
Unless your QB is named Manning or Brady. I think that's a valid criticism of Idzik. Brandin Cooks was the only "name" receiver (of the big 4) the Jets could have gotten with out making a first round deal. Odell Beckham, taken by the Giants 2 picks earlier, may have been available for a "deal."  I think the other two were taken too early for the Jets to move up without it costing them a lot. As I've said, I like what the Jets did in this draft, however, if it was me drafting, I probably would have taken Cooks instead of Pryor.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:27 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

..... the defense should be ahead of the offense.  On the Sports NY (SNY) Jets blog, a few of the impatient are criticizing Idzik for not bundling a couple of his 12 draft choices to get another "name" WR.  
Unless your QB is named Manning or Brady. I think that's a valid criticism of Idzik. Brandin Cooks was the only "name" receiver (of the big 4) the Jets could have gotten with out making a first round deal. Odell Beckham, taken by the Giants 2 picks earlier, may have been available for a "deal."  I think the other two were taken too early for the Jets to move up without it costing them a lot. As I've said, I like what the Jets did in this draft, however, if it was me drafting, I probably would have taken Cooks instead of Pryor.

A lot of mocks had the jets picking Odel Beckham.  Not being familiar with him, i saw a couple of his highlights, a beast.  The Giants picked two places before us and grabbed him.  At this moment Coughlin is not very pleased.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:39 am

LRJets wrote:

A lot of mocks had the jets picking Odel Beckham.  Not being familiar with him, i saw a couple of his highlights, a beast.  The Giants picked two places before us and grabbed him.  At this moment Coughlin is not very pleased.
Yeah, Beckham was clocked around 4.3/40 which puts him in elite territory. In addition they say he was a good return man, so the Jets missed out there. I'm not sure whether the Giants and the Jets could have made a deal. I know players have moved from one team to the other via free agency, but a trade? I can't recall if there ever was one. I tuned in for a little of the Giants game but Beckham wasn't among the starters. 

As for the Jets, it seems Greg Salas is the star receiver of this training camp. That sure is going to complicate the roster.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:42 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Yeah, Beckham was clocked around 4.3/40 which puts him in elite territory. In addition they say he was a good return man, so the Jets missed out there. I'm not sure whether the Giants and the Jets could have made a deal. I know players have moved from one team to the other via free agency, but a trade? I can't recall if there ever was one. I tuned in for a little of the Giants game but Beckham wasn't among the starters. 

As for the Jets, it seems Greg Salas is the star receiver of this training camp. That sure is going to complicate the roster.
The entire receiving corps seems in disarray at this moment.  Rex has confidence in its proper development.  (Decker 4 dropped passes in practice?)
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:16 am

LRJets wrote:

The entire receiving corps seems in disarray at this moment.  Rex has confidence in its proper development.  (Decker 4 dropped passes in practice?)
At the risk of sounding pompous, I've always maintained that defense can be taught, but offense requires talent. The bloggers can write all they want about the talent on the Jets offense but in reality there are only two proven stars on offense and both of them are new, Johnson and Vick. But the real talent required to make an offense potent comes from the QB. Right now, I just don't see Smith, despite what he says, as a dynamic force in the offense. That is why I think the Jets would be foolish not to start Vick this year. It wouldn't kill Smith to spend a year on the bench (might even help.) On the other hand, Vick doesn't have that many more years left, so now's the time to milk that talent. It doesn't make sense to put a top defense on the field and a less than mediocre offense when the key to a much better one is holding the clipboard. 

To me, Decker is a good (not great) receiver who put up great numbers because of who was throwing to him.  Decker came for the money. His numbers are going to be way way down this season, but I don't blame him for going for the gold. In football, when the money shows up, you gotta take it because of the nature of the sport. I'm not worried about his drops because he has proven to be pretty sure handed even in clutch situations. I just don't think opposing defenses will worry about him too much because he's a mid-field possession receiver with little chance of going over the top of a defense. The Jets still don't have a guy who can do that. They have a few candidates, but no one who's proven they can do it.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

At the risk of sounding pompous, I've always maintained that defense can be taught, but offense requires talent. The bloggers can write all they want about the talent on the Jets offense but in reality there are only two proven stars on offense and both of them are new, Johnson and Vick. But the real talent required to make an offense potent comes from the QB. Right now, I just don't see Smith, despite what he says, as a dynamic force in the offense. That is why I think the Jets would be foolish not to start Vick this year. It wouldn't kill Smith to spend a year on the bench (might even help.) On the other hand, Vick doesn't have that many more years left, so now's the time to milk that talent. It doesn't make sense to put a top defense on the field and a less than mediocre offense when the key to a much better one is holding the clipboard. 

To me, Decker is a good (not great) receiver who put up great numbers because of who was throwing to him.  Decker came for the money. His numbers are going to be way way down this season, but I don't blame him for going for the gold. In football, when the money shows up, you gotta take it because of the nature of the sport. I'm not worried about his drops because he has proven to be pretty sure handed even in clutch situations. I just don't think opposing defenses will worry about him too much because he's a mid-field possession receiver with little chance of going over the top of a defense. The Jets still don't have a guy who can do that. They have a few candidates, but no one who's proven they can do it.
There are so many factors that go into the success of a football team.  I'm not a student of chess, but I can't see it being more complicated, if not in the execution, certainly in preparing.  I was for Geno starting since he finished his rookie year on an ascending note plus I long for continuity in that position.  After reading about Vick in camp, I would go for Vick to be a starter in his sunset years in the NFL.  Smith passed the pressure test, so if Vick goes down, Smith could step in.  
Rex is funny, I sometimes get the feeling, he'd rather stay on his word rather than make changes fitting the situation if that changes.  See the lack of use of Tebow, the steadfastness of keeping Sanchez, etc.
I think Phil Simms is one of the better minds in football analysis especially in the QB position, and he said after the draft that he feels Geno Smith is better than any QB drafted in 2014.  To me that's a ringing endorsement.  So if he is a back up to Vick, it might not be the worst thing if the "competition" is neck-and-neck.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

LRJets wrote:

There are so many factors that go into the success of a football team.  I'm not a student of chess, but I can't see it being more complicated, if not in the execution, certainly in preparing.  I was for Geno starting since he finished his rookie year on an ascending note plus I long for continuity in that position.  After reading about Vick in camp, I would go for Vick to be a starter in his sunset years in the NFL.  Smith passed the pressure test, so if Vick goes down, Smith could step in.  
Rex is funny, I sometimes get the feeling, he'd rather stay on his word rather than make changes fitting the situation if that changes.  See the lack of use of Tebow, the steadfastness of keeping Sanchez, etc.
I think Phil Simms is one of the better minds in football analysis especially in the QB position, and he said after the draft that he feels Geno Smith is better than any QB drafted in 2014.  To me that's a ringing endorsement.  So if he is a back up to Vick, it might not be the worst thing if the "competition" is neck-and-neck.

The point you make about continuity is very valid. Most Jet fans have been desperate to find that starter who can be the franchise face for a long time. The Jets haven't had one since Namath. Is Smith that guy? Could be, but don't forget the Jets drafted him in the second round and he had an up and down season in year one. However, with this defense, the team has a chance to do something special this year. All it requires is for the offense to be a little more consistent putting up points, and preventing costly turnovers. Make no mistake, Michael Vick will still be Vick. He will get sacked, fumble and intercepted from time to time, but he will also make great plays, and that should translate to more points on the board.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:17 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

The point you make about continuity is very valid. Most Jet fans have been desperate to find that starter who can be the franchise face for a long time. The Jets haven't had one since Namath. Is Smith that guy? Could be, but don't forget the Jets drafted him in the second round and he had an up and down season in year one. However, with this defense, the team has a chance to do something special this year. All it requires is for the offense to be a little more consistent putting up points, and preventing costly turnovers. Make no mistake, Michael Vick will still be Vick. He will get sacked, fumble and intercepted from time to time, but he will also make great plays, and that should translate to more points on the board.

Wass, with your respected knowledge and opinions of the Jets,I'd like you to post on the SNY Jets blog.  Your insights would be welcomed and there are no trolls from other teams just informed fans where after 40+ years as a Jet, I still learn from those not even born when the Jets won SB III.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 am

LRJets wrote:

Wass, with your respected knowledge and opinions of the Jets,I'd like you to post on the SNY Jets blog.  Your insights would be welcomed and there are no trolls from other teams just informed fans where after 40+ years as a Jet, I still learn from those not even born when the Jets won SB III.

Thanks for the compliment. I'll check out the blog.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down