Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jets draft picks

3 posters

Go down

The Jets draft picks Empty The Jets draft picks

Post by wassejet Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Overall, I'm satisfied with the approach the Jets took to this years draft. They chose to go defense in Rd. 1 which precluded any possibility of getting one of the elite receivers. We all knew that they were leaning defense although most of us thought CB would be the way they would go. Despite all the "experts" giving grades for draft picks, this was a good way for the Jets to improve the defensive backfield. When thinking about all the great safeties that have played this game such as Bob Sanders, Troy Palomalu, Ed Reed, John Lynch, etc, these guys really anchored their respective defenses. If Pryor can approach that level of performance, it will be a good pick. The pick of Jace Amaro was  an excellent pick in round 2. I was a little disappointed the Jets didn't take a chance on Michael Sam (SEC defensive Player of the Year.) Instead they drafted two DE/LB's we never heard of, however, I think I understand the reasoning. After going through the Tim Tebow fiasco, the Jets didn't want to walk down that road again. By passing on Sam, Idzik seems to be saying "I want the NY Jets to be about football and nothing else." If that's the reason they passed on Sam, then I applaud it.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

The Jets draft picks Empty Re: The Jets draft picks

Post by LRJets Thu May 15, 2014 5:02 pm

wassejet wrote:Overall, I'm satisfied with the approach the Jets took to this years draft. They chose to go defense in Rd. 1 which precluded any possibility of getting one of the elite receivers. We all knew that they were leaning defense although most of us thought CB would be the way they would go. Despite all the "experts" giving grades for draft picks, this was a good way for the Jets to improve the defensive backfield. When thinking about all the great safeties that have played this game such as Bob Sanders, Troy Palomalu, Ed Reed, John Lynch, etc, these guys really anchored their respective defenses. If Pryor can approach that level of performance, it will be a good pick. The pick of Jace Amaro was  an excellent pick in round 2. I was a little disappointed the Jets didn't take a chance on Michael Sam (SEC defensive Player of the Year.) Instead they drafted two DE/LB's we never heard of, however, I think I understand the reasoning. After going through the Tim Tebow fiasco, the Jets didn't want to walk down that road again. By passing on Sam, Idzik seems to be saying "I want the NY Jets to be about football and nothing else." If that's the reason they passed on Sam, then I applaud it.

I agree the Jets , as far as could be told, had a good draft.  My only negative feeling as a fan, why couldn't Idzik (with 12 picks) traded up for a really true blue chipper?  The roster at the moment is over 91, we will wind up cutting players including part of these 12 picks.   I'm glad we didn't take Sam.  Wasn't Hard Knocks, Favre, Tebow, Revis et al enough?  Let the others "experiment".  Let's play some serious football!
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Jets said they tried to trade up in the second round for Marquis Lee. They said they couldn't make it happen.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

wassejet wrote:Jets said they tried to trade up in the second round for Marquis Lee. They said they couldn't make it happen.
Yes that is true.  Maybe for the best in this case?  Great 2012.  Injured in 2013.  Would have to prove to himself and team.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlerman422 Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm

The Jets tried totrade up in second round. That is true, but.Idzik is such close keeper of Johnson's m0ney and everything.
He didn't want to give equal value to the trade. So, no trade. He has to loosen up a little.

Rolling Eyes

bowlerman422

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 am

bowlerman422 wrote:The Jets tried totrade up in second round. That is true, but.Idzik is such close keeper of Johnson's m0ney and everything.
He didn't want to give equal value to the trade. So, no trade. He has to loosen up a little.

Rolling Eyes
I don't know how you know what the Jets offered for such a proposed trade. Nevertheless, assuming you do, then one would be inclined to think that if you want to trade up in the draft then you must offer some incentive to the other team to do so. Otherwise, why would they? Therefore, it would be incumbent on the Jets to offer "greater" value, not "equal" in return. If the trade did not materialize then we can only assume that the asking price was too steep for the Jets.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

The Jets draft picks Empty 3rd Rd. McDougle

Post by wassejet Sun May 18, 2014 12:14 pm

There is a good article in today's NY Times about Dexter McDougle, the Jets 3rd Rd pick. I didn't want to try to paste it here because it would probably come out a mess. Essentially describes McDougle as a super leader to the extent that he was viewed as being a coach on the field throughout his football career. Even when injured, he attended every practice, meeting and sat in the coaching booth during games. The downside to this guy is injuries. He missed one season in college and one in H.S.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun May 18, 2014 3:16 pm

wassejet wrote:There is a good article in today's NY Times about Dexter McDougle, the Jets 3rd Rd pick. I didn't want to try to paste it here because it would probably come out a mess. Essentially describes McDougle as a super leader to the extent that he was viewed as being a coach on the field throughout his football career. Even when injured, he attended every practice, meeting and sat in the coaching booth during games. The downside to this guy is injuries. He missed one season in college and one in H.S.

Here's the link to said article.  My concern is the Jets will have depth in many positions, but the level of competency and skill might just be adequate instead of a standout here and there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sun May 18, 2014 7:45 pm

LRJets wrote:

My concern is the Jets will have depth in many positions, but the level of competency and skill might just be adequate instead of a standout here and there.

I thought one had to be a subscriber to get access to NYT on-line articles, but I guess not. Thanks for posting it.

I think every NFL coach, ass't coach, GM and fan etc. shares that concern. There are no guarantees, so I think it's imperative to start with good stock. I think the Jets really did their homework in this draft, so let's hope for the best and do as we always do every year,................prepare for disaster. Also, expectations have to be real. This is not a Super Bowl team so I think a winning record and trip to the playoffs with one win is a reasonable expectation for this year. 

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

My concern is the Jets will have depth in many positions, but the level of competency and skill might just be adequate instead of a standout here and there.

I thought one had to be a subscriber to get access to NYT on-line articles, but I guess not. Thanks for posting it.

I think every NFL coach, ass't coach, GM and fan etc. shares that concern. There are no guarantees, so I think it's imperative to start with good stock. I think the Jets really did their homework in this draft, so let's hope for the best and do as we always do every year,................prepare for disaster. Also, expectations have to be real. This is not a Super Bowl team so I think a winning record and trip to the playoffs with one win is a reasonable expectation for this year. 
Since I moved to Florida, I read the Post sports every morning.  (Mehta, NYDN, and Cimini are  not the biggest Jets boosters).  I simply "googled"  NY Times Sports and found the article.   Thanks for the 411 re:the article.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 pm

The Jets seem to be doing better with the draft picks this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 am

Dmounts wrote:The Jets seem to be doing better with the draft picks this year.

Except for the first two rounds, (of which there have been  busts in all teams), it's basically a crapshoot. 
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down