Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike rider get boo-boo...

5 posters

Go down

Bike rider get boo-boo... Empty Bike rider get boo-boo...

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Any thoughts on what you feel is an appropriate punishment here, Duck?    Laughing 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Bike rider get boo-boo... Empty Re: Bike rider get boo-boo...

Post by duck Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:06 pm

_HD_ wrote:Any thoughts on what you feel is an appropriate punishment here, Duck?    Laughing 

I think you know what my feelings are on the subject.  Medieval torture quickly comes to mind.  What do you think would be appropriate, HD?

Seriously, I believe phone control is a much more pressing issue in this country than gun control.  Even though I live in a "high crime" city like Oakland my chances of catching a bullet are pretty damn slim.  However, getting clipped (whether on my bike or in my car) by some jackass on a phone is a very real fear.

Guns make headlines.  Our country has had several mass shooting incidents that are dramatic and captivating.  Nevertheless, day in and day out, equally graphic and horrifying carnage occurs as a result of irresponsible cell phone use.

Part of the issue is image.  Our culture vilifies (yet at the same time often glorifies) the criminal element.  We associate guns with bad guys.  It's easy to denounce punks and thugs.  On the flip side, it's hard to muster up the same kind of fear and indignation over a cute teenage girl yakking on her cell phone.  Yet each is equally deadly.

The other issue is even more insidious.  As a culture, we are addicted to electronic toys.  We love our cell phones.  Law makers are reluctant to pass stringent laws regarding cell phone use because they know that they are largely unenforceable.  Meanwhile, car manufacturers are putting more electronic entertainment devices in cars.  It's madness.

I see no end to the slaughter either until enough members of our society become outraged over irresponsible cell phone use and resort to vigilantism.  Now THAT'S a torch and pitchfork march I could really get behind.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:Any thoughts on what you feel is an appropriate punishment here, Duck?    Laughing 

I think you know what my feelings are on the subject.  Medieval torture quickly comes to mind.  What do you think would be appropriate, HD?

Seriously, I believe phone control is a much more pressing issue in this country than gun control.  Even though I live in a "high crime" city like Oakland my chances of catching a bullet are pretty damn slim.  However, getting clipped (whether on my bike or in my car) by some jackass on a phone is a very real fear.

Guns make headlines.  Our country has had several mass shooting incidents that are dramatic and captivating.  Nevertheless, day in and day out, equally graphic and horrifying carnage occurs as a result of irresponsible cell phone use.

Part of the issue is image.  Our culture vilifies (yet at the same time often glorifies) the criminal element.  We associate guns with bad guys.  It's easy to denounce punks and thugs.  On the flip side, it's hard to muster up the same kind of fear and indignation over a cute teenage girl yakking on her cell phone.  Yet each is equally deadly.

The other issue is even more insidious.  As a culture, we are addicted to electronic toys.  We love our cell phones.  Law makers are reluctant to pass stringent laws regarding cell phone use because they know that they are largely unenforceable.  Meanwhile, car manufacturers are putting more electronic entertainment devices in cars.  It's madness.

I see no end to the slaughter either until enough members of our society become outraged over irresponsible cell phone use and resort to vigilantism.  Now THAT'S a torch and pitchfork march I could really get behind.

Good points--all, Duck...  But you've really got to lighten up a bit, eh?   Here--save this for a knob-job when you come to Green Bay...   Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Good points--all, Duck...  But you've really got to lighten up a bit, eh?   Here--save this for a knob-job when you come to Green Bay...   Laughing 

OK, you fished. I bit.  Very Happy 

Just out of curiosity, what are your real thoughts on the issue? I can't imagine that as someone who rides motorcycles, and thus is as unprotected as a cyclist and even more at risk because of higher speeds, you would be cavalier about the dangers of distracted drivers.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

OK, you fished.  I bit.   Very Happy 

Just out of curiosity, what are your real thoughts on the issue?  I can't imagine that as someone who rides motorcycles, and thus is as unprotected as a cyclist and even more at risk because of higher speeds, you would be cavalier about the dangers of distracted drivers.

I've logged more miles on a motorcycle than probably 95% of the population in a car, Duck...  Not unlike you I'm sure--you keep yourself alive by being very, very aware of what's going on around you and anticipating any possible risk  Morons are everywhere--and they'll give anybody in this fucking country a driver's license.  I've saved my own life so many times merely by profiling the vehicle/driver in advance--I can't even tell you...and drivers in other countries are generally WAY superior to the US...

What I'd do?  This chick referenced in the article would go to jail for criminal negligence resulting in significant bodily injury.  I'd, no shit--put her away for 5 years just because of her attitude.  The poor bastard she hit will be eating his beef roast blended--through a fucking STRAW the rest of his life.  This little cunt needs to do some serious this sucks to make up for that debt to society and give her pause to develop the empathy/accountibility her parent's obviously completely whiffed on...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are your real thoughts on the issue?  I can't imagine that as someone who rides motorcycles, and thus is as unprotected as a cyclist and even more at risk because of higher speeds, you would be cavalier about the dangers of distracted drivers.

I've logged more miles on a motorcycle than probably 95% of the population in a car, Duck...  Not unlike you I'm sure--you keep yourself alive by being very, very aware of what's going on around you and anticipating any possible risk  Morons are everywhere--and they'll give anybody in this fucking country a driver's license.  I've saved my own life so many times merely by profiling the vehicle/driver in advance--I can't even tell you...and drivers in other countries are generally WAY superior to the US...

What I'd do?  This chick referenced in the article would go to jail for criminal negligence resulting in significant bodily injury.  I'd, no shit--put her away for 5 years just because of her attitude.  The poor bastard she hit will be eating his beef roast blended--through a fucking STRAW the rest of his life.  This little cunt needs to do some serious this sucks to make up for that debt to society and give her pause to develop the empathy/accountibility her parent's obviously completely whiffed on...

Thank you, HD. You just reaffirmed my faith in you.

You obviously speak with the voice of lots of experience on the roads. I know exactly what you mean when you say that hyper-vigilance is the key to survival. You learn to anticipate dangerous situations and problematic drivers. I can smell this shit way in advance. In fact I confess that the one time I was hit by a car, I partially blame myself because my Spidey sense was tingling and I didn't listen to it. (An old lady in a big Cadillac passed me, was driving erratically, and sure enough turned right in front of me.)

I guess in these situations I completely buy into your notion of evaluating situation by intuition and "feel." We both might be dead otherwise.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now c'mon HD,,,tell how much of your highly tuned intuition told you, "Hell yeah, she must be thinking about me!!!  Fuck yeah!"[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:20 am

Thor11 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now c'mon HD,,,tell how much of your highly tuned intuition told you, "Hell yeah, she must be thinking about me!!!  Fuck yeah!"[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thor

You should never disrespect your mother like that as she tenderly holds your father while awaiting his bail paperwork to be completed, Thor...  That's just not cool...   

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Thank you, HD.  You just reaffirmed my faith in you.

You obviously speak with the voice of lots of experience on the roads.  I know exactly what you mean when you say that hyper-vigilance is the key to survival.  You learn to anticipate dangerous situations and problematic drivers.  I can smell this shit way in advance.  In fact I confess that the one time I was hit by a car, I partially blame myself because my Spidey sense was tingling and I didn't listen to it.  (An old lady in a big Cadillac passed me, was driving erratically, and sure enough turned right in front of me.)

I guess in these situations I completely buy into your notion of evaluating situation by intuition and "feel."  We both might be dead otherwise.

If a cat has nine lives, Duck--I'm truly the biggest pussy that has ever lived, my friend...  Maybe someday I'll know why...

The last time was last Sept on I 94 not far outside of Madison WI.  Some stupid bitch in the right hand lane.  I really don't know why I was so focused and aware about her.  She wasn't driving erratically or notably at all.  Maybe because she looked like just the type of stupid bitch who might be prone to taking someone out on a motorcycle.  In any event--as I approached her in the passing lane, I remember being focused on her wheels...  Sure enough--the wheels turned and the tires began to cross the stripes as my front tire was just about even with the back end of her car....  I accelerated and abruptly swerved over onto the left shoulder while hammering the horn (it's a loud fucker)  Laughing  I saw her head fly back and the car lurched back over into her lane.  I slowed down in the left hand lane and waited for her to approach so I could see her reaction and decide what I was going to do.  She was a frazzled middle-aged woman who waved her hand and mouthed *I'm sorry* as she piloted her POS Chevy Lumina or whateverthefuck down the road--so I left her in the past.  Poor thing--she looked like she may have lost bowel containment.  It wasn't until a couple of minutes later that my brother clicked in on the intercom--*Holy shit* was all he said.

I have no idea why I picked that car out from when it was well in front of me like that--but I do know I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  So you see, Duck--every day...I'm on a free ride at the fair...   Wink 

Last edited by _HD_ on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 am

_HD_ wrote:

Thor

You should never disrespect your mother like that as she tenderly holds your father while awaiting his bail paperwork to be completed, Thor...  That's just not cool...   
No way you slither of this one HeaD case... No, not my mother, just any woman who you obviously think wants you as your 'over inflated' ego always tells you. Stop hiding behind the balloons you collect that decorate your 'hot air' mentality and be a real man for once, admitting this obvious flaw,,,sucker!

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:54 am

Thor11 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Thor

No way you slither of this one HeaD case... No, not my mother, just any woman who you obviously think wants you as your 'over inflated' ego always tells you. Stop hiding behind the balloons you collect that decorate your 'hot air' mentality and be a real man for once, admitting this obvious flaw,,,sucker!

Thor

Poor Thorelda...  She comes from another land...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by PackFanKnowItAll Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:37 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

You obviously speak with the voice of lots of experience on the roads.  I know exactly what you mean when you say that hyper-vigilance is the key to survival.  You learn to anticipate dangerous situations and problematic drivers.  I can smell this shit way in advance.  In fact I confess that the one time I was hit by a car, I partially blame myself because my Spidey sense was tingling and I didn't listen to it.  (An old lady in a big Cadillac passed me, was driving erratically, and sure enough turned right in front of me.)

I guess in these situations I completely buy into your notion of evaluating situation by intuition and "feel."  We both might be dead otherwise.

If a cat has nine lives, Duck--I'm truly the biggest pussy that has ever lived, my friend...  Maybe someday I'll know why...

The last time was last Sept on I 94 not far outside of Madison WI.  Some stupid bitch in the right hand lane.  I really don't know why I was so focused and aware about her.  She wasn't driving erratically or notably at all.  Maybe because she looked like just the type of stupid bitch who might be prone to taking someone out on a motorcycle.  In any event--as I approached her in the passing lane, I remember being focused on her wheels...  Sure enough--the wheels turned and the tires began to cross the stripes as my front tire was just about even with the back end of her car....  I accelerated and abruptly swerved over onto the left shoulder while hammering the horn (it's a loud fucker)  Laughing  I saw her head fly back and the car lurched back over into her lane.  I slowed down in the left hand lane and waited for her to approach so I could see her reaction and decide what I was going to do.  She was a frazzled middle-aged woman who waved her hand and mouthed *I'm sorry* as she piloted her POS Chevy Lumina or whateverthefuck down the road--so I left her in the past.  Poor thing--she looked like she may have lost bowel containment.  It wasn't until a couple of minutes later that my brother clicked in on the intercom--*Holy shit* was all he said.

I have no idea why I picked that car out from when it was well in front of me like that--but I do know I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  So you see, Duck--every day...I'm on a free ride at the fair...   Wink 
ERRR MERRR GERDDDDD!!  These stories of how you and duck just KNOW everything are AWESOMEAMUNDO!!!  I am on the edge of my seat when I read them, as I'm sure everyone else is!!  You have the BEST stories I've ever heard!!  And it's like a never ending supply!!!  If someone has a story, you just throw one out there that BLOWS them out of the water!!  YEAH!!!!  Guys like us, HD, we are the COOLEST!!  It's like we're the most impotent, all-knowing, COOLEST guys no matter where we are!!!  You should write a book with all of these AMAZING stories instead of wasting them on an innerweb bored like this one!!  High five, HD!! Maybe duck could write the forward to your book, since he is like the funniest guy (professional comic-level, really) and certainly the funniest and smartest guy at Graham and Whigham's sports bar near his house!!  YEAH!!!!  Tell us moar!! Moar!!  MOAR!!!!
PackFanKnowItAll
PackFanKnowItAll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

PackFanKnowItAll wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

ERRR MERRR GERDDDDD!!  These stories of how you and duck just KNOW everything are AWESOMEAMUNDO!!!  I am on the edge of my seat when I read them, as I'm sure everyone else is!!  You have the BEST stories I've ever heard!!  And it's like a never ending supply!!!  If someone has a story, you just throw one out there that BLOWS them out of the water!!  YEAH!!!!  Guys like us, HD, we are the COOLEST!!  It's like we're the most impotent, all-knowing, COOLEST guys no matter where we are!!!  You should write a book with all of these AMAZING stories instead of wasting them on an innerweb bored like this one!!  High five, HD!! Maybe duck could write the forward to your book, since he is like the funniest guy (professional comic-level, really) and certainly the funniest and smartest guy at Graham and Whigham's sports bar near his house!!  YEAH!!!!  Tell us moar!! Moar!!  MOAR!!!!

I'm so pleased, PFKIA...  By your recent silence--I was starting to think you were no longer my biggest fan...and that's just something I cannot have...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:54 pm

My daughter just got her learner's permit, and I just hate it. Mainly because I clearly, painfully see it: she doesn't have the instincts, the edge, the forward-thinking mindset skill NEEDED to get you through your life on the American highway system.

I keep trying to get her to be a pro-active driver. Not to react as things occur, but to anticipate them before they happen. To become hyper-vigilant to the massive amount of incompetent fucktards out there just waiting to take her out of the game.

But I feel it in my bones she's going to be one of those drivers playing for the other team.

Jamaican me crazy, mon...
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm

JnC4GB wrote:My daughter just got her learner's permit, and I just hate it. Mainly because I clearly, painfully see it: she doesn't have the instincts, the edge, the forward-thinking mindset skill NEEDED to get you through your life on the American highway system.

I keep trying to get her to be a pro-active driver. Not to react as things occur, but to anticipate them before they happen. To become hyper-vigilant to the massive amount of incompetent fucktards out there just waiting to take her out of the game.

But I feel it in my bones she's going to be one of those drivers playing for the other team.

Ya gotta switch it up then, man...'cuz if she doesn't pick it up from you then you're right--she won't pick it up...  Who else will have the patience and who else will she trust?

She's probably picking up your apprehension about her capabilities and driving through a fog of anxiety as a result.  Try the positive reinforcement instead...  Build her up and, when she's ready--bring her out onto the freeway and tell her what you're looking at and why every second as it happens in real time...  Point out the dipshit drifting over the center lane while texting or scratching their nuts.  Make note of the fucktard with the duct-taped muffler about ready to fall off and take out somebody's windshield who isn't paying attention driving behind them and teach her to pass drivers who look suspect and keep their fuck-ups waiting to happen comfortably behind her...  
Then--go another ten miles and ask her to point out everything she sees and what, as a driver, she should do about it.  In short--make her fear the incompetence of other's on the road, as opposed to her own, and teach her how through building her own competence--she can off-set much of that risk by just being very, very aware--dialed in like an Eagle from above on that rabbit--like it's the last rabbit on earth...   Wink 

Finally--don't give her the keys until she can take you out on the highway and through town--and consistently tell you to your satisfaction--everything happening around her/what to be wary of/what countermeasures she's taking--bam bam bam--until your gut tells you that she is now part of the team...  A month too early--can be a month too late...and that's never a risk worth taking...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 pm

JnC4GB wrote:My daughter just got her learner's permit, and I just hate it. Mainly because I clearly, painfully see it: she doesn't have the instincts, the edge, the forward-thinking mindset skill NEEDED to get you through your life on the American highway system.

I feel your pain, JnC.  More to the point, I will feel it soon.

My daughter who is 16-and-a-half has thus far shown no interest in driving... yet anyway.  She relies almost entirely on public transit and her bike.  Of course that creates a different set of anxieties because the Oakland and San Francisco buses aren't always little boats of joy.  Plus I still cringe at the thought of her biking through downtown Oakland traffic.  Her biking skills are passable but she has minimal anticipatory ability.  Then there's always the concern of a young female accidentally riding into an unsafe neighborhood.

This summer we're going to try to get her behind the wheel.  At some point she's going to have to learn how to drive and I'd like to be there for the learning process.  In a year and a half she'll be in college... yikes!!

As a parent, you can't win.  There's always something to worry about!
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 pm

duck wrote:

My daughter who is 16-and-a-half has thus far shown no interest in driving... yet anyway.  She relies almost entirely on public transit and her bike.  Of course that creates a different set of anxieties because the Oakland and San Francisco buses aren't always little boats of joy.  Plus I still cringe at the thought of her biking through downtown Oakland traffic.  Her biking skills are passable but she has minimal anticipatory ability.  Then there's always the concern of a young female accidentally riding into an unsafe neighborhood.

This summer we're going to try to get her behind the wheel.  At some point she's going to have to learn how to drive and I'd like to be there for the learning process.  In a year and a half she'll be in college... yikes!!

I got my daughter starting to get a taste of driving (on my lap) on back-country rural roads since she was probably 8-9...  She loves it.  She asks to drive all the time and is probably better that 75% of the people on the road already.  Insecurity (fear) is what causes more accidents than anything.  Competence and confidence go together hand-in-hand in life.  If one lacks--then focus an building the other...   Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 pm

_HD_ wrote:

Ya gotta switch it up then, man...'cuz if she doesn't pick it up from you then you're right--she won't pick it up...  Who else will have the patience and who else will she trust?

She's probably picking up your apprehension about her capabilities and driving through a fog of anxiety as a result.  Try the positive reinforcement instead...  Build her up and, when she's ready--bring her out onto the freeway and tell her what you're looking at and why every second as it happens in real time...  Point out the dipshit drifting over the center lane while texting or scratching their nuts.  Make note of the fucktard with the duct-taped muffler about ready to fall off and take out somebody's windshield who isn't paying attention driving behind them and teach her to pass drivers who look suspect and keep their fuck-ups waiting to happen comfortably behind her...  
Then--go another ten miles and ask her to point out everything she sees and what, as a driver, she should do about it.  In short--make her fear the incompetence of other's on the road, as opposed to her own, and teach her how through building her own competence--she can off-set much of that risk by just being very, very aware--dialed in like an Eagle from above on that rabbit--like it's the last rabbit on earth...   Wink 

Finally--don't give her the keys until she can take you out on the highway and through town--and consistently tell you to your satisfaction--everything happening around her/what to be wary of/what countermeasures she's taking--bam bam bam--until your gut tells you that she is now part of the team...  A month too early--can be a month too late...and that's never a risk worth taking...

You've basically described exactly what I have and am doing...I do like the "Ok, now you tell me what you see" technique. Will work that into the process.

She's whip smart...just, so far, hasn't shown me that she "gets it" on a fundamental, lizard-brain level.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

You've basically described exactly what I have and am doing...I do like the "Ok, now you tell me what you see" technique. Will work that into the process.

She's whip smart...just, so far, hasn't shown me that she "gets it" on a fundamental, lizard-brain level.

Good man...  As I'm also sure you're aware, a couple of well-placed, *wow--very good--that's one I didn't even see* from her Father can also go a loooong way into turning her from the QB with happy feet who gets crushed into the turf into the QB who can calmly stand in the pocket and deliver the dart to the 4th read in the back of the end zone....   Wink 

It's a hard motherfuckin' bitch for a girl to grow up in this world...  So many expectations...so much pressure to be and do everything...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

I got my daughter starting to get a taste of driving (on my lap) on back-country rural roads since she was probably 8-9...  She loves it.  She asks to drive all the time and is probably better that 75% of the people on the road already.  Insecurity (fear) is what causes more accidents than anything.  Competence and confidence go together hand-in-hand in life.  If one lacks--then focus an building the other...   Cool

Well, that and electronic toys and/or alcohol.  Very Happy 

You're fortunate you have mellow back country roads to teach your daughter on. That's not much of an option for me. Kids here in Oakland get tossed into the meat grinder: steep windy hills and heavily congested freeways.

Actually I'm very confident that my daughter will become a good driver. She's a level-headed kid with excellent reflexes and a good attention span.

What I worry about more are some of her ditzy friends or, when the time comes, boys.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:43 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Well, that and electronic toys and/or alcohol.   Very Happy 

You're fortunate you have mellow back country roads to teach your daughter on.  That's not much of an option for me.  Kids here in Oakland get tossed into the meat grinder:  steep windy hills and heavily congested freeways.

Actually I'm very confident that my daughter will become a good driver.  She's a level-headed kid with excellent reflexes and a good attention span.

What I worry about more are some of her ditzy friends or, when the time comes, boys.

Aww...such good dads you all are!  

I still remember my Dad teaching me how to drive. 
Smile
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Don't worry about daughters driving. It's the sons that cause the high insurance rates.
Just ask All State. When I was young my first 3 car accidents were from teenage boys who rammed into me in parking lots.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down