Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why not cut Mendy?

Go down

Why not cut Mendy? Empty Why not cut Mendy?

Post by RLON39 Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 am

I have wondered this, myself, but I just thought of the reason...duh. If Mendy comes back and gives them a half a season, say as a third down/change of pace guy going into the playoffs, the represents some value. More importantly, Mendenhall is slated to be a RFA in 2013. Since he is a former first rounder, the Steelers could easily retain him with the lowest tender, just over a million, requiring that they be compensated with the original round in which he was drafted (1st rounder). No one will give up a first, so they will never lose him. The FO must be looking to this value in 2013, when they should have a healthy Mendenhall back for one year, at a great price. Locking up talent on the cheap is appealing because it allows them to fill other holes before 2014. I don't think he, or many other running backs given their career span, is the long term plan. I see the Steelers drafting RB, CB, and even possibly receiver, as a priority in 2013. That means they must address the trenches on both sides, and up the middle on defense, now.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down