Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season

4 posters

Go down

Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season Empty Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season

Post by leejr Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 pm

If only the Steelers could shift some money from the Woodley and Timmons contracts. Roethlisberger could be extended, and the money left over could be used to help shore up weaknesses elsewhere.
Unfortunately, when you pay two merely above-average LBs as if they are Hall of Famers, and then when you miss on a few draft classes, your talent and your room to maneuver both are limited.
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season Empty Re: Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season

Post by diehardsteersfan Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

leejr wrote:If only the Steelers could shift some money from the Woodley and Timmons contracts. Roethlisberger could be extended, and the money left over could be used to help shore up weaknesses elsewhere.
Unfortunately, when you pay two merely above-average LBs as if they are Hall of Famers, and then when you miss on a few draft classes, your talent and your room to maneuver both are limited.
Ben gets the king's ransom and everyone else gets the table scraps.  It's always going to be that way...always- when it comes to franchise quarterbacks.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season Empty Re: Can The Steelers Make Room Next Season

Post by diehardsteersfan Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

diehardsteersfan wrote:
leejr wrote:If only the Steelers could shift some money from the Woodley and Timmons contracts. Roethlisberger could be extended, and the money left over could be used to help shore up weaknesses elsewhere.
Ben gets the king's ransom and everyone else gets the table scraps.  It's always going to be that way...always- when it comes to franchise quarterbacks.
I bet you're going to see some guys who are getting paid too much money be asked to take pay cuts or leave.  Besides that, it sounds like Ben is going to be more than willing to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh.  He just moved his family to Pittsburgh from Findlay a couple of years ago and I think they all love it there.  He does not want to uproot his family to another city so I'm sure he will take a home town discount.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm

The Steelers shouldn't shift any more money on Woodley. They'll need to cut him before the 2015 season. They will cut Troy, Ike and Heath. They will extend only Ben. That will create close to 30 million in space. They can resign all three cut players on the cheap, for one more year.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:21 pm

RLON39 wrote:The Steelers shouldn't shift any more money on Woodley. They'll need to cut him before the 2015 season. They will cut Troy, Ike and Heath. They will extend only Ben. That will create close to 30 million in space. They can resign all three cut players on the cheap, for one more year.
 I find it ironic that since Woodley went out with injury, the pass rush has come back. I really like Worilds on that side and Jones on the right. I think Woodley is money that can be spent elsewhere. I think they also should think very carefully about Heath.... his return has stabilized the offense. They are a much better team WITH him at TE than without. He makes a HUGE difference.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Admin wrote:
RLON39 wrote:The Steelers shouldn't shift any more money on Woodley. They'll need to cut him before the 2015 season. They will cut Troy, Ike and Heath. They will extend only Ben. That will create close to 30 million in space. They can resign all three cut players on the cheap, for one more year.
 I find it ironic that since Woodley went out with injury, the pass rush has come back. I really like Worilds on that side and Jones on the right. I think Woodley is money that can be spent elsewhere. I think they also should think very carefully about Heath.... his return has stabilized the offense. They are a much better team WITH him at TE than without. He makes a HUGE difference.
I noticed a big difference in our pass rush as soon as McLendon went down today.  For some reason it got better immediately.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 am

I see them moving Woodley to the right side, using Jones to spell both OLBs.the Woodley situation is bad. You'd lose money by cutting him this coming off season. It's really not an option, and it's tough to bench a guy costing you 13 mill or so in cap space. The two contracts that have set this team back were Willie Colon and LaMarr Woodley. Colon is unforgivable because he's nothing more than average. With 34 OLBs, you have to realize how much is a product of the system and who was playing on the opposite side. James Harrison was special, Woodley is not, so they should have realized he was not worth the contract. He gets sacks, but he's not really disruptive, and he is not even in the same league as Harrison against the run.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

RLON39 wrote:I see them moving Woodley to the right side, using Jones to spell both OLBs.the Woodley situation is bad. You'd lose money by cutting him this coming off season. It's really not an option, and it's tough to bench a guy costing you 13 mill or so in cap space. The two contracts that have set this team back were Willie Colon and LaMarr Woodley. Colon is unforgivable because he's nothing more than average. With 34 OLBs, you have to realize how much is a product of the system and who was playing on the opposite side. James Harrison was special, Woodley is not, so they should have realized he was not worth the contract. He gets sacks, but he's not really disruptive, and he is not even in the same league as Harrison against the run.

What about trading Woodley? He should have decent value at this point. Would that not relieve them of his cap hit?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by leejr Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am

What about trading Woodley? He should have decent value at this point. Would that not relieve them of his cap hit?

Woodley is a high paid player playing as an average LB.It will be just as good,or maybe better LB's coming from this upcoming draft
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 pm

leejr wrote:What about trading Woodley? He should have decent value at this point. Would that not relieve them of his cap hit?

Woodley is a high paid player playing as an average LB.It will be just as good,or maybe better LB's coming from this upcoming draft
I'm just trying to find a way they can dump his salary. He's part of the cap problem and certainly NOT worth the money spent... based off his numbers last year & this year. Not to mention the fact that he is constantly injured. High paid glass if you ask me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Trading him would not be an option, unfortunately, yet.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down