Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's good for the goose...

3 posters

Go down

What's good for the goose... Empty What's good for the goose...

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

... is good for the gander.

I don't mind the new "no pushing" rule being enforced. 

But, enforce it evenly and consistently to both sides.

I assume you stand in agreement with me on that principle, don't you George? 

Tuesday media conference calls with Patriots coach Bill Belichick usually look ahead to the following week's opponent, but there was a minor twist today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Belichick
When Belichick was asked by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram about reports that the Jets tipped off officials about the Patriots' field goal push penalty, Belichick responded by saying: "Well, I mean, since they were using the play themselves, I don’t even know about all that. But basically we’re just moving on here." =

Belichick appeared to be referring to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]'s 44-yard field goal that tied the score 27-27 with 16 seconds remaining in regulation (the Jets won 30-27 in overtime).

On the play, Jets outside linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] lined up to the left of teammate [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], looped behind him, and then pushed him, as Coples' right arm/hand pressed against Wilkerson's back. Wilkerson then flipped over Patriots long-snapper [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and guard [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

There was no penalty called on the play.

After the game, referee Jerome Boger explained that the rule is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

When NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino addresses this new rule during his weekly segment on NFL Network, it would be interesting to see him match up the two plays to explain the difference.

Since this is a new rule, the clarification from Blandino would benefit coaches from all 32 NFL teams as well as media members who report on it.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

What's good for the goose... Empty Re: What's good for the goose...

Post by George1963 Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 am

guppy wrote:... is good for the gander.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Of course I agree the rules should be applied evenly. As I'm sure you agree that "They did it too!" from a 61 year old man who's been caught coaching an illegal play is just about as lame as it would be from a 5 year old girl caught finger painting on the wall. Maybe more so.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am

Now, now, Gup, your time stamp is after a statement by Belichick admitting he was wrong and his team  did commit a penalty.
Translation= the refs were justified in making that call.

It kinda brings me back to the Spygate days when Rags and Fern used the, "everyone does it" defense.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:23 am

I was looking in my picture file for the previous week when the Patriots also committed to that formation against New Orleans. 
BB didn't see it for the first time Sunday.  He used it already!!
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 am

LRJets wrote:I was looking in my picture file for the previous week when the Patriots also committed to that formation against New Orleans. 

And Baltimore used it against Miami and was not called when Miami missed a game winning FG I believe.  Otherwise, Miami would have gotten a second attempt.

Last edited by guppy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 am

guppy wrote:
LRJets wrote:I was looking in my picture file for the previous week when the Patriots also committed to that formation against New Orleans. 

And Baltimore used it against Miami and was not called when Miami missed a game winning FG I believe.  Otherwise, Miami would have gotten a second attempt.
And this is what Pats fans in the media do. Before the end of the week we'll have examples of every time two players bumped into each other on a fg or a try and this will be clear evidence of......absolutely nothing.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:46 am

Calls happen. Non calls happen. It's part of the game.

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:... is good for the gander.

Of course I agree the rules should be applied evenly. As I'm sure you agree that "They did it too!" from a 61 year old man who's been caught coaching an illegal play is just about as lame as it would be from a 5 year old girl caught finger painting on the wall. Maybe more so.

No George.  The point is, BB was wrong.  But so were others too.  But that doesn't fit into your "only BB, and no one else skirts the rules" agenda.  I'm not commenting on BB at all.  I thought his response was very professional by the way.  He accepted blame, and is quickly moving on.  What I'm doing here is, I'm commenting on YOU.  I hereby charge you with the crime of being inconsistent and applying a different standard to BB than you apply to anyone else -- even in the case where BB does the same thing as someone else.  There are also other names for your anti BB stance.  Bias.  Partiality.  Predisposition.  Prejudice.  They all fit.  How do you plead to the charges?  Guilty?  Not Guilty? Or, "Guilty and Damn Proud of It"?
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

George1963 wrote:Calls happen. Non calls happen. It's part of the game.

I'm not questioning that.  Nor anything on the field.  I'm questioning your objectiveness and evenhandedness (or lack thereof) about the whole thing.  See my other post.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:06 pm

George, I think you have a lot of football knowledge which, in general, I respect. 

I just want you to admit that when it comes to BB you are bias and you lose your objectivity.

At least if you admit that, there is no pretense here by anyone, and all cards are out on the table.  Just don't pretend to be objective about BB.  Acknowledge your bias.  Embrace it even.  At least then there will be honesty here.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 pm

guppy wrote:

I'm not questioning that.  Nor anything on the field.  I'm questioning your objectiveness and evenhandedness (or lack thereof) about the whole thing.  See my other post.
Whatever. You asked. You want to hear my opinion on him sending a rookie who was only doing what he was coached to do out to lie to the press?
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 pm

George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Whatever. You asked. You want to hear my opinion on him sending a rookie who was only doing what he was coached to do out to lie to the press?

Whatever.  That's all moot.  He took the blame himself is the bottom line.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Whatever.  That's all moot.  He took the blame himself is the bottom line.
He's a noble man. No doubt. People will write songs.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 pm

George1963 wrote:
He's a noble man. No doubt. People will write songs.

Now you just made me laugh out loud. 

Good stuff.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

LRJets wrote:Now, now, Gup, your time stamp is after a statement by Belichick admitting he was wrong and his team  did commit a penalty.
Translation= the refs were justified in making that call.

It kinda brings me back to the Spygate days when Rags and Fern used the, "everyone does it" defense.

Its very frustrating to me LR when you fail to distinguish between what I'm saying, and what I'm not saying.  Maybe the problem lies with me.  Maybe I don't use the proper language, or maybe I just don't make myself clear enough so that I effectively get my point across.  Too often I attempt to make a point, and your reply goes in another direction, which to me shows that you misconstrue what I was saying.

I was pretty clear (I thought) that I was not commenting on the "rightness" or the "wrongness", or the "correctness" or "incorrectness" of calling the penalty.  Clearly was not.

What I was commenting on was, "if you're going to call it on one team, call it on the other team as well."  Either call it on both; or don't call it on both.  Either way, I don't care.  But what you can't do is, call it on one, but not the other. 

That was the beginning, middle, and end of the point that I was initially trying to get across.  Just like the old saying goes, "What's sauce for the goose, is sause for the gander."

There is no fault on the Jets here.  They did everything right. 

The fault is on the refs

They applied a penalty to one, but not the other........for the same thing..........in the same game.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

If this new call was never called until Sunday, but has been "gotten away with" without being called, there has to be an understanding reached that it is a new call, and will now be called when rule is violated.  
No favoritism, nothing  conspiratorial or pre-ordained against any team (Patriots).  It just happened.

I'm ready to bet it'll be either over-called now, or there'll be more challenges.

I remember earlier in the game there was a non-call against the Jets for a Pats infraction even echoed by the announcers.

Chit happens and hopefully it evens out.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm

LRJets wrote:If this new call was never called until Sunday, but has been "gotten away with" without being called, there has to be an understanding reached that it is a new call, and will now be called when rule is violated.  
No favoritism, nothing  conspiratorial or pre-ordained against any team (Patriots).  It just happened.

I'm ready to bet it'll be either over-called now, or there'll be more challenges.

I remember earlier in the game there was a non-call against the Jets for a Pats infraction even echoed by the announcers.

Chit happens and hopefully it evens out.

Very wise remarks.

Now I am going to hopefully make some as well.

Upon reflection, I realize I have already spent far too much time and energy on this subject.  Its trivial.  It means nothing.   Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't.  Refs are human, not robots or computers.  Same goes for every team.  Sometimes they get them, sometimes they don't.   Sometimes when punting, the ball bounces a funny way and dies on the one yard line, and sometimes it bounces in the endzone.  You can't control that, and a lucky bounce one way or the other could mean the difference between winning and losing.  Its luck either way.  Chit happens is right.  

I must be f%cked up to carry on wiht this subject this much  - especially today.    Why today?  Because in about four hours the Red Sox are playing Game 1 of the World Series.  Get your head on straight Gup!  What the hell was I even thinking wasting time on some stupid new football rule?   Who cares?  That is messed up.  

Just a few months ago, the Boston Bruins made it to the final two and came very close before Chicago won the Cup.  Now, the Boston Red Sox are also one of the final two, and ready to try to complete an amazing "worst to first in one year" turnaround.   Its a great feeling and everyone is pumped up for it.  I'm very grateful and very fortunate to be in a position to have the opportunity for another championship after just having had such an opportunity a few short months ago.  Go Red Sox.

Oops, gotta go.  Just realized I'm all out of Sam Adams. 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Gup....
Part of your aggravation the last 48 hours when you think about it, you're holding down the fort yourself on this board.  No air support from any other Pats fan.  You've fended off George and myself, and should be commended.
On the other side, we presented our opinions, hopefully the facts, and no trash talk.
Kudos to me.
Kudos to George.
Mucho kudos to you!!

Good luck in the World Series.

I like the Yankees, but was never a "Yankees fan" per se.  Actually growing up in Brooklyn, I loathed them.
I was a big Mets fan until a few years ago.  I just don't care as much. But I do like the Yankees but no fanatacism towards baseball at all.
Point?  It must be nice to have one of your teams in a championship setting.

I'm a Jet!
I'm a Met!
I'm a Knick!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

LRJets wrote:
Good luck in the World Series.

Thank you much LR.  Much appreciated.

It must be nice to have one of your teams in a championship setting.

Well, I'll admit that what the Sox have done this year is one more reason that has me, as well as a lot of Bostonians, quite spoiled.  In the last 12 years beginning 2002 with the Pats first SB vs. the Rams, we have now had 12 of the major sports teams in the finals or the Superbowl.   12 Finals appearances in 12 years!!  That's pretty ridiculous.  No other city comes even close to that.  If you include semi final appearances and Conference Championship appearances in that same period, the number of our teams to make it at least to the semis is 18.  Of the 12 Finals appearances, 7 resulted in championships --- so far.  Now looking for #8 in this WS.  Let the good times roll.   

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 am

12 Finals appearances in 12 years!!  That's pretty ridiculous.  No other city comes even close to that.

Maybe currently, but not ever. Boston still has work to do to equal LA in the 80's. One more championship and one more appearance.
And an Olympics.
Good Luck.  Very Happy 
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:21 am

George1963 wrote: 12 Finals appearances in 12 years!!  That's pretty ridiculous.  No other city comes even close to that.

Maybe currently, but not ever. Boston still has work to do to equal LA in the 80's. One more championship and one more appearance.
And an Olympics.
Good Luck.  Very Happy 

Thanks George.

You're right about LA in the 80s.  But I'll say that if Boston wins this current baseball championship - that's right "if" -- then this current Boston era will tie L.A. of the 80s in championships and appearances.  BUT, we will give the EDGE to Boston because its success was more widespread, achieved across 4 sports, while LA's was achieved across only 3 (no hockey).  LOL.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down