Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't flip out too much over injuries

+6
IRA1955
JnC4GB
CatalinaMinx
JhnK307
MB20
duck
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty Don't flip out too much over injuries

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 am

Look, I hate the Packer injuries as much as anyone.  I'd love to see our starting units go 16 games without anyone getting hurt.  However, that's simply not the nature of the game.  We're going to lose more players, as will other teams.

Injuries to marquee players such as Rodgers and Matthews are particularly costly, not because of the financial investment involved, but because the differential between their capabilities and those who might replace them are significant.

However, injuries to players much lower on the pecking order are really not that big of a deal at all.  If you were to assign a numeric value to each player you'd see that the drop off between Rodgers and Seneca is quite dramatic.  However, the drop off between quality receivers like Jones and Cobb and guys like Boykin and the new guys coming in... is not nearly as great!  At an even lower end, if we lose a back up and bring up a guy from the practice squad, the curve flattens out.  Not much difference between, let's say, a hypothetical 5.3 and 5.1.

In fact the differential in talent between the low guys on the roster and the guys on the practice squad... and the available unsigned talent just waiting for phone calls... is almost indistinguishable. Project a bell shape curve on to the overall pool of talent and you see that as you approach the middle of the talent curve, the abundancy of good players increases.

My point?  It's not like we drop off from our #3 and #4 players to total scrubs.  The lower tier could be just as good and maybe even hungrier than them.  There's a huge reservoir of talent out there... and injuries to most players will not significantly affect a stable team with a good system.

The injury bug is not just about us.  ALL teams are getting hammered with injuries.  I just think we'll deal with it better than most.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty Re: Don't flip out too much over injuries

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 am

I hear ya, Duckles! As a fellow Packer Backer, I hate seeing any of our players hurt! Of course who cares if other teams lose their players! Who cares if our players deliberately injure other players, am I right!? It's all about the Pack!  

Back to top Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty Re: Don't flip out too much over injuries

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:36 am

#1PackerBacker wrote:I hear ya, Duckles! As a fellow Packer Backer, I hate seeing any of our players hurt! Of course who cares if other teams lose their players! Who cares if our players deliberately injure other players, am I right!? It's all about the Pack!  
To cut to the chase, get over it.  

Matthews is not in any way a dirty player.

A message has been sent all over the league that if QBs start running the way Kaepernick did last year with the ambiguity of the read offense, there will be consequences.  If Matthews didn't hammer him, someone else would have.

The NFL has rendered its verdict on the issue.  Kaepernick doesn't run so much anymore.  If he does, he's going to get killed.  He mostly stays in the pocket as he should and now he's just slightly better than mediocre.

Tough break, Niner fans.  Sad
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:46 am

duck wrote:
#1PackerBacker wrote:I hear ya, Duckles! As a fellow Packer Backer, I hate seeing any of our players hurt! Of course who cares if other teams lose their players! Who cares if our players deliberately injure other players, am I right!? It's all about the Pack!  
To cut to the chase, get over it.  

Matthews is not in any way a dirty player.

A message has been sent all over the league that if QBs start running the way Kaepernick did last year with the ambiguity of the read offense, there will be consequences.  If Matthews didn't hammer him, someone else would have.

The NFL has rendered its verdict on the issue.  Kaepernick doesn't run so much anymore.  If he does, he's going to get killed.  He mostly stays in the pocket as he should and now he's just slightly better than mediocre.

Tough break, Niner fans.  Sad
This is the problem with Packer fans far too fixated on other teams. The tough break is on the rest of us Packer fans. The Packers are the team losing players left and right. I have people like you to thank for it. People who wish players from opposing teams are hurt, and deliberately if possible by Packer players. Thanks, Duckles.

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

duck wrote:Look, I hate the Packer injuries as much as anyone.  I'd love to see our starting units go 16 games without anyone getting hurt.  However, that's simply not the nature of the game.  We're going to lose more players, as will other teams.

Injuries to marquee players such as Rodgers and Matthews are particularly costly, not because of the financial investment involved, but because the differential between their capabilities and those who might replace them are significant.

However, injuries to players much lower on the pecking order are really not that big of a deal at all.  If you were to assign a numeric value to each player you'd see that the drop off between Rodgers and Seneca is quite dramatic.  However, the drop off between quality receivers like Jones and Cobb and guys like Boykin and the new guys coming in... is not nearly as great!  At an even lower end, if we lose a back up and bring up a guy from the practice squad, the curve flattens out.  Not much difference between, let's say, a hypothetical 5.3 and 5.1.

In fact the differential in talent between the low guys on the roster and the guys on the practice squad... and the available unsigned talent just waiting for phone calls... is almost indistinguishable. Project a bell shape curve on to the overall pool of talent and you see that as you approach the middle of the talent curve, the abundancy of good players increases.

My point?  It's not like we drop off from our #3 and #4 players to total scrubs.  The lower tier could be just as good and maybe even hungrier than them.  There's a huge reservoir of talent out there... and injuries to most players will not significantly affect a stable team with a good system.

The injury bug is not just about us.  ALL teams are getting hammered with injuries.  I just think we'll deal with it better than most.
It shouldn't be the end of the world, no. Even without Cobb, the offense can hurt you with Nelson, Jones, Lacy, and even Finley. That's two more weapons than a lot of other teams have. It's plenty with which to win games.

The defense is like a whole other unit with Jolly worked into the mix and Hawk finally able to run like a real NFL linebacker. The injuries to the OLBs are what worries me. Perry breaking his foot was one rotten fucking break. I don't like seeing one position get so worn thin like this.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty Ruptured Duck

Post by JhnK307 Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JhnK307
JhnK307
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by JhnK307 Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 am

JhnK307
JhnK307
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 am

Funny stuff, Jhn.  What is your thing with ducks anyway?  Please tell me your zipper stays shut.  Smile
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 am

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:Look, I hate the Packer injuries as much as anyone.  I'd love to see our starting units go 16 games without anyone getting hurt.  However, that's simply not the nature of the game.  We're going to lose more players, as will other teams.

It shouldn't be the end of the world, no. Even without Cobb, the offense can hurt you with Nelson, Jones, Lacy, and even Finley. That's two more weapons than a lot of other teams have. It's plenty with which to win games.

The defense is like a whole other unit with Jolly worked into the mix and Hawk finally able to run like a real NFL linebacker. The injuries to the OLBs are what worries me. Perry breaking his foot was one rotten fucking break. I don't like seeing one position get so worn thin like this.
I agree, MB.  A run at one position is the worst thing that can happen.

Still, the Baltimore game was an eye-opener.  I had no idea our defense would function so well without Matthews and Jones.  It was actually better.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 am

Maybe Burnett means more to our defense than we realized.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am

duck wrote:Funny stuff, Jhn.  What is your thing with ducks anyway?  Please tell me your zipper stays shut.  Smile
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty I'm a "Duckaholic" !

Post by JhnK307 Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 pm

JhnK307
JhnK307
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:05 pm

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:17 pm

JnC4GB wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You and Jhn are bastards.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Don't flip out too much over injuries Empty Bastards ?? That's not nice !!

Post by IRA1955 Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 pm

IRA1955
IRA1955

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 am

JnC4GB wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 am

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 am

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:07 pm

:: deep voice::  Why is everybody always pickin' on me?

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by AJBest Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 pm

duck wrote::: deep voice::  Why is everybody always pickin' on me?

We have to have someone take Thor's place !!
AJBest
AJBest

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm

CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm

duck wrote::: deep voice::  Why is everybody always pickin' on me?

Great all time band!   " Poison Ivy."
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:27 pm

What the duck has gotten in to you?   We barely beat a .500 Ravens team with no offensive line and very mediocre defense last Sunday, with a QB that would not take off with 25 yards of green in front of him on a key play.   Here is the store to get your t-shirt..........http://www.iloveduluthstore.com/adult-humor/shut-the-duck-up-t-shirt for about $15.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 pm

CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:

What the duck has gotten in to you?   We barely beat a .500 Ravens team with no offensive line and very mediocre defense last Sunday, with a QB that would not take off with 25 yards of green in front of him on a key play.   Here is the store to get your t-shirt..........http://www.iloveduluthstore.com/adult-humor/shut-the-duck-up-t-shirt for about $15.
Yeah, as it turns out, we barely beat the Ravens.  However, our defense was dominating the game and if it wasn't for that 4th-and-21 conversion, it would have been a much more comfortable win.

I'm just not that worried about the recent spate of injuries.  As I tried to outline above, there might be a huge drop off between Matthews and the next man up, but the difference between the # 3, 4, 5 and 6 guys isn't much at all.  It will give our young guys some experience and give us better depth for the playoffs.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next