Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems almost too numerous to mention

3 posters

Go down

Problems almost too numerous to mention Empty Problems almost too numerous to mention

Post by guppy Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Just to dispell any notion that I am one of the "defend them at all costs" yahoos, I will take a moment to list some of the problems I see with this 2013 version of the Patriots after yesterday's loss to the Bengals.  This list is by no means intended to be exhaustive or complete, but just a few observations off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more problems than those listed below:

1.   Terrible play calling.  Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called a terrible game.  First and goal on the 1, and they end up settling for a FG?  Beyond terrible.  Beyond horrible.  Makes me want to puke just thinking about how bad those three plays were before they capitulated and kicked the FG.  Awful, awful, awful.

2.    Offensive line mostly sucked all day.  No push on running plays.  Horrible protection on pass plays.  Did left tackle Nate Solder play?  He was getting abused and beaten by Cincy's D-linemen most of what I saw.   I miss Matt Light.  Several unblocked rushers to Brady on the first couple of series set a bad tone for the rest of the day.  I give the O-Line a solid "D" on the report card.

3.  Running backs did nothing.  Ridley out.  Vereen out.  That left LaGarrette Blount and Brandon Boldin.  That's just not going to scare anybody.

4.  Too many drops by the receivers.  Just a below average day for them.  But I do give credit to Cincy's D.  Their Defensive Coordinator called a hell of a game, and the players executed it.  Pats receivers for the most part could not get open, and when covered one on one, could not get separation.

5.  On the few occasions that Brady did have a guy open, he was not his usual accurate self.  He missed a few throws before the rains came down, and that's on him.  When it started pouring, that pretty much ended all chances of a comeback.

4.  No game changer type guys on this entire roster.  We need a Dez Bryant, Anquan Boldin, DeSean Jackson or Julio Jones type receiver.  We have nothing close to that.  This roster is filled with undrafted rookies who are now starters, plenty of guys on IR, and other career bench warmers.  Like I said, no back or receiver on this roster could crack the Denver roster.   

5.  Hard times are in store ahead.  I'm already prepared for much of the same as I saw yesterday.  This team is not elite.  Not today anyways.  I don't see what's going to change.  Maybe Ridley, Gronk and Vereen back at the same time will mean something.   We'll see.  And Josh McDaniels can't call that horrible of a game every week.  Can he? 

6.  I'm ready to blame the front office and ownership for the product on the field.  There never has been an explanation as to why they didnt' re-sign Welker.  Never explained.  We're just supposed to trust them on their team building philosphy.  Support for that is crumbling.  The mob is getting restless.  They've made a few good signings (Ninkovich, for example), but far too few.  Ownership needs to take accountability for not going out getting some first class talent.  I don't mind saying it.  Its ownership's fault that the offensive weapons on this roster resemble Ford Pintos rather than Chevy Corvettes.

7.  I'm not giving up all hope yet.  But we'll see what this team looks like come Thanksgiving.  But right now they are crap.  And its unacceptable.  They need to get things fixed in a hurry.

8.  I'll end this rant by getting off the negative, and at least say one thing that's positive.  

At least we're not the Giants. 

Sorry Sheila.  You know we're still buddies, right?   The Giants are known for starting slow, and then picking up steam as the season goes along.  That's their M.O.  That's what they do, right?  Hang in there. Smile 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Problems almost too numerous to mention Empty Re: Problems almost too numerous to mention

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:31 pm

guppy wrote:Just to dispell any notion that I am one of the "defend them at all costs" yahoos, I will take a moment to list some of the problems I see with this 2013 version of the Patriots after yesterday's loss to the Bengals.  This list is by no means intended to be exhaustive or complete, but just a few observations off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are many more problems than those listed below:

1.   Terrible play calling.  Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called a terrible game.  First and goal on the 1, and they end up settling for a FG?  Beyond terrible.  Beyond horrible.  Makes me want to puke just thinking about how bad those three plays were before they capitulated and kicked the FG.  Awful, awful, awful.

2.    Offensive line mostly sucked all day.  No push on running plays.  Horrible protection on pass plays.  Did left tackle Nate Solder play?  He was getting abused and beaten by Cincy's D-linemen most of what I saw.   I miss Matt Light.  Several unblocked rushers to Brady on the first couple of series set a bad tone for the rest of the day.  I give the O-Line a solid "D" on the report card.

3.  Running backs did nothing.  Ridley out.  Vereen out.  That left LaGarrette Blount and Brandon Boldin.  That's just not going to scare anybody.

4.  Too many drops by the receivers.  Just a below average day for them.  But I do give credit to Cincy's D.  Their Defensive Coordinator called a hell of a game, and the players executed it.  Pats receivers for the most part could not get open, and when covered one on one, could not get separation.

5.  On the few occasions that Brady did have a guy open, he was not his usual accurate self.  He missed a few throws before the rains came down, and that's on him.  When it started pouring, that pretty much ended all chances of a comeback.

4.  No game changer type guys on this entire roster.  We need a Dez Bryant, Anquan Boldin, DeSean Jackson or Julio Jones type receiver.  We have nothing close to that.  This roster is filled with undrafted rookies who are now starters, plenty of guys on IR, and other career bench warmers.  Like I said, no back or receiver on this roster could crack the Denver roster.   

5.  Hard times are in store ahead.  I'm already prepared for much of the same as I saw yesterday.  This team is not elite.  Not today anyways.  I don't see what's going to change.  Maybe Ridley, Gronk and Vereen back at the same time will mean something.   We'll see.  And Josh McDaniels can't call that horrible of a game every week.  Can he? 

6.  I'm ready to blame the front office and ownership for the product on the field.  There never has been an explanation as to why they didnt' re-sign Welker.  Never explained.  We're just supposed to trust them on their team building philosphy.  Support for that is crumbling.  The mob is getting restless.  They've made a few good signings (Ninkovich, for example), but far too few.  Ownership needs to take accountability for not going out getting some first class talent.  I don't mind saying it.  Its ownership's fault that the offensive weapons on this roster resemble Ford Pintos rather than Chevy Corvettes.

7.  I'm not giving up all hope yet.  But we'll see what this team looks like come Thanksgiving.  But right now they are crap.  And its unacceptable.  They need to get things fixed in a hurry.

8.  I'll end this rant by getting off the negative, and at least say one thing that's positive.  

At least we're not the Giants. 

Sorry Sheila.  You know we're still buddies, right?   The Giants are known for starting slow, and then picking up steam as the season goes along.  That's their M.O.  That's what they do, right?  Hang in there. Smile 

LOL  Of course!  I don't think any other team or fan would want to be the Giants this season. 

They are known for starting slow...but I think at 0 - 5, this is just a bit too slow!  lol
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Problems almost too numerous to mention Empty Re: Problems almost too numerous to mention

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 am

Nice rant. The only thing I'd add is to #4. You only mention offensive guys. Back in the day the Patriots defenses had guys who'd make things happen. Not catch a ball thrown to them or fall on one that somebody dropped but take it away from a receiver or cause a fumble.
You watch the Pats more than I do, when was the last time you saw a strip sack?
They'll still make the playoffs though so, you got that going for you.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

George1963 wrote:Nice rant. The only thing I'd add is to #4. You only mention offensive guys. Back in the day the Patriots defenses had guys who'd make things happen. Not catch a ball thrown to them or fall on one that somebody dropped but take it away from a receiver or cause a fumble.
You watch the Pats more than I do, when was the last time you saw a strip sack?
They'll still make the playoffs though so, you got that going for you.

Its still early in the season.  But I think what I'm seeing is clear.  I think this 2013 version of the Patriots is a case of the defense taking a step forward from 2012 (they actually are pretty good this year), but the offense taking three steps backwards. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down