Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a stat to chew on

+2
milani
duck
6 posters

Go down

Here's a stat to chew on Empty Here's a stat to chew on

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Taking Seattle out of the equation, the other five NFC playoff teams from 2012 have started out a combined 3-12.

Our schedule looks very different now too.  Games we pencilled in as tough ones, the Giants and Steelers, now look much easier.  These two perennial powerhouses have suddenly become bottom feeders.

That's the danger of looking at a schedule and going by last year's performance.  Each and every year a few teams suddenly fall from grace while others emerge from nowhere.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Here's a stat to chew on Empty Re: Here's a stat to chew on

Post by milani Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

duck wrote:Taking Seattle out of the equation, the other five NFC playoff teams from 2012 have started out a combined 3-12.

Our schedule looks very different now too.  Games we pencilled in as tough ones, the Giants and Steelers, now look much easier.  These two perennial powerhouses have suddenly become bottom feeders.

That's the danger of looking at a schedule and going by last year's performance.  Each and every year a few teams suddenly fall from grace while others emerge from nowhere.
Giants and Steelers appear to be easier to us. But then by the same token the Packers now appear much easier to the Giants and Steelers as well.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:36 pm

It's your typical ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY scenario.   Remember.......the Packers beat the Niners, Bears twice and Cowboys twice in '89.   3 point road losses to the Rams and Dolphins gave the playoff Central Division tiebreaker to the Vikings.  Exciting 10-6 year for the Packers fans in 1989 (Mandarich #1 round pick in the draft).    Let's see if the 2013 Packers can be just as exciting.   So far all I see are mistakes and miscues against so-so opponents, hamstrings and concussions......Pam Oliver running around the sidelines.......Aikman and Buck making us sick......great energy by the Packers D.  Redskins should have been blown out 52-0.  GO PACK GO!!
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:Taking Seattle out of the equation, the other five NFC playoff teams from 2012 have started out a combined 3-12.

Giants and Steelers appear to be easier to us. But then by the same token the Packers now appear much easier to the Giants and Steelers as well.
Perhaps, but I see that more as apples and oranges.  The Giants just suck, plain and simple.  The Steelers showed some signs of life last night but they're still obviously rebuilding and have no running game.

The Packers were close to beating the Niners at Candlestick, blew out Washington at home, and probably should have beaten the Bengals in Cincy in a weird game.  If A-Rod has a normal day, we probably win.  If Finley doesn't go down early, we probably win.  (Apparently he was a big part of the game plan.)  If Ross doesn't cough it up early, we probably win.  If Matthews doesn't pull a hammy, we probably win.  If MM doesn't call a dumb play on 4th-and-1, we probably win.

Don't get me wrong, I give all the credit to the Bengals for coming back and taking over in crunch time.  They deserved the win.  But a series of improbable events contributed hugely to turning a likely Packer victory into a loss.

I know you and the other Chicken Littles want to flap your wings now but I'm not terribly concerned about the Packers right now.  I still believe we have a playoff quality team.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:35 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Perhaps, but I see that more as apples and oranges.  The Giants just suck, plain and simple.  The Steelers showed some signs of life last night but they're still obviously rebuilding and have no running game.

The Packers were close to beating the Niners at Candlestick, blew out Washington at home, and probably should have beaten the Bengals in Cincy in a weird game.  If A-Rod has a normal day, we probably win.  If Finley doesn't go down early, we probably win.  (Apparently he was a big part of the game plan.)  If Ross doesn't cough it up early, we probably win.  If Matthews doesn't pull a hammy, we probably win.  If MM doesn't call a dumb play on 4th-and-1, we probably win.

Don't get me wrong, I give all the credit to the Bengals for coming back and taking over in crunch time.  They deserved the win.  But a series of improbable events contributed hugely to turning a likely Packer victory into a loss.

I know you and the other Chicken Littles want to flap your wings now but I'm not terribly concerned about the Packers right now.  I still believe we have a playoff quality team.
I don't think anyone here except Milani doesn't think this team is making the playoffs. It's their chances of actually doing anything once in them that has some of us Chicken Littles concerned. They haven't done anything yet in their two big road contests to allay any of my concerns. They've shown some good things, yes, but ultimately, they did what they had to do in order to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory both times. Yesterday, they even did so despite having a 16-point third-quarter lead, scoring 30 unanswered points, outgaining the home team by 100 yards, and having a +2 turnover margin. That kind of underachieving might be fine by you, but I'm not such a big fan of that kind of thing.

But you and the other Miss Mary Sunshines go on blowing bubbles up each other's asses while continuing to write off such established patterns as MM making stupid 4th-and-1 decisions as unfortunate happenstance.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

milani wrote:

Milani...check yourself.
The 0-3 Giants got beat 38-0 by the Panthers. We lost a game we clearly should've won.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Well I've been accused of being a little miss mary sunshine, but I also was the first to weigh in on MM's shit play call...so I dunno.

That said, the Packers clearly are good enough for the playoffs and I think they'll make it. And if our last SB run taught me anything ( and the Giant's last one too) it's that it matters what state your team is in as the playoffs start ---not how they are right now or even 4 weeks from now.

Get in. Get hot.

Y'know, like the ending of a good date Wink
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Well I've been accused of being a little miss mary sunshine, but I also was the first to weigh in on MM's shit play call...so I dunno.

That said, the Packers clearly are good enough for the playoffs and I think they'll make it. And if our last SB run taught me anything ( and the Giant's last one too) it's that it matters what state your team is in as the playoffs start ---not how they are right now or even 4 weeks from now.

Get in. Get hot.

You're not wrong.

What really has me antsy about the state of the franchise for the past 2+ seasons is that I have visions of the prime of another great QB getting pissed away by mediocre coaching and talent in key positions (in this case, offensive line). And make no mistake about it- I do think MM is nothing more than a mediocre head coach at this point in his career. IMO he's been coasting for quite some time now, and I'm not even sure he's capable of any better. I think he topped out as a coach late in 2010.

I think it would be criminal if Rodgers only wins that one ring as a Packer. If things don't change in a hurry on our sidelines, I'm afraid the chances of that is very real.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

I agree about McCarthy. dude reminds me of a big ol' plow horse with blinders on; great strength/narrow vision. After suffering through Brandon Jackson's saga the small fact that they we're able to throw Ross off the train gives me a little hope.

As for Rodgers only getting "1 ring"? Meh. I'm one of those "the journey is the reward" guys. Watching that guy run our O has been seriously fucking fun. That ring stuff is just gravy.

Think the long-suffering Dolphin fans wouldn't give their left nut to return to the glory days of ringless Dan Marino?

And who knows, the stars may yet align once again for us and we'll get another Championship under Rodgers. In the meantime let's hope for the best, but more importantly, enjoy the fucking ride and thank fucking Christ we ain't Viking fans.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I agree about McCarthy. dude reminds me of a big ol' plow horse with blinders on; great strength/narrow vision. After suffering through Brandon Jackson's saga the small fact that they we're able to throw Ross off the train gives me a little hope.

As for Rodgers only getting "1 ring"? Meh. I'm one of those "the journey is the reward" guys. Watching that guy run our O has been seriously fucking fun. That ring stuff is just gravy.

Think the long-suffering Dolphin fans wouldn't give their left nut to return to the glory days of ringless Dan Marino?

And who knows, the stars may yet align once again for us and we'll get another Championship under Rodgers. In the meantime let's hope for the best, but more importantly, enjoy the fucking ride and thank fucking Christ we ain't Viking fans.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:59 pm

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

I don't think anyone here except Milani doesn't think this team is making the playoffs. It's their chances of actually doing anything once in them that has some of us Chicken Littles concerned. They haven't done anything yet in their two big road contests to allay any of my concerns. They've shown some good things, yes, but ultimately, they did what they had to do in order to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory both times. Yesterday, they even did so despite having a 16-point third-quarter lead, scoring 30 unanswered points, outgaining the home team by 100 yards, and having a +2 turnover margin. That kind of underachieving might be fine by you, but I'm not such a big fan of that kind of thing.

But you and the other Miss Mary Sunshines go on blowing bubbles up each other's asses while continuing to write off such established patterns as MM making stupid 4th-and-1 decisions as unfortunate happenstance.
Every season there is one game that defines that team for that year. Last year it was AP running over us in Week 17. Yesterday's game pretty much defined us as a team. We play hard, we get hurt, our young guys make mistakes, our coach grasps at straws, our QB tries to carry the team. Then we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as someone just put it. This team is reminiscent of 2008 in that they will find ways to lose. But they will get better as they did in 2009 and 2010. So that means in 2015 guys like Lacy and Franklin and Hayward and Jones we'll get their ring. Whether MM will be here to hoist it remains to be seen. I hope Jolley gets that chance.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Actually, MB, we're not that far apart.  You see the Packers going 10-6, winning the NFC North and losing on Wild Card Weekend.  I see them going 11-5, winning the NFC North and splitting a pair of playoff games.  Neither of us see them as Super Bowl or even NFC champs but both of us think they're playoff worthy.

Am I a Miss Mary Sunshine?  I really don't think so.  Though perhaps not as often or as caustic as many other posters, I've weighed in with criticisms of McCarthy, Thompson... even Aaron Rodgers who, IMHO, is about as close to perfection as you can get.

I think my moderated positions just seem rosy in contrast to the big heapings of negativity that appear on this board when things aren't going well.  Plus... and this might be a difference between many others and myself... I'm still in the corner of both MM and TT.  Look, I know these guys aren't perfect but my feeling is that ON BALANCE... key concept here, on balance... they provide us with as good a shot at winning as anyone else we could get.  I know we like to bitch about MM when he makes a bad play call, but I think all in all he has kept the team focussed and competitive for several years.  I sense that his players buy into him.  Sure, if Bill Belichick was available, I'd say make the upgrade.  But he's not.

We've had a great run as Packer fans.  And I don't think the winning days are even close to being over.  All a coach and general manager can do is keep the team competitive and hope things play out well at the end of the year, like they did in 2010.  These guys have done that.  I think it's unrealistic to expect much more.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm

JnC4GB wrote:I agree about McCarthy. dude reminds me of a big ol' plow horse with blinders on; great strength/narrow vision. After suffering through Brandon Jackson's saga the small fact that they we're able to throw Ross off the train gives me a little hope.

You get it, JnC.  The journey is the reward.  And we Packer fans have been spoiled.

Look, there's nothing more that I'd like than to see Rodgers lead the Pack to a slew of Lombardi trophies.  I'm disappointed that he hasn't picked up one more already.  Maybe he will end up with just one in his career.  That would be a damn shame.  However, I just don't see any of the Rhodes-esque or Sherman-esque blundering stupidity we had in previous years.

I believe in MM and TT and honestly believe they are going to deliver the goods again.

But, if not, I'll enjoy the ride.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 pm

JnC4GB wrote:I agree about McCarthy. dude reminds me of a big ol' plow horse with blinders on; great strength/narrow vision. After suffering through Brandon Jackson's saga the small fact that they we're able to throw Ross off the train gives me a little hope.

I respectfully must disagree with that JnC...being a Viking fans means I can make good money betting against them when I know they're over valued by the uneducated betting public skewing the pt spread....in that sense easy money $$ for me .....tyvm.

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Thor11 wrote:

I respectfully must disagree with that JnC...being a Viking fans means I can make good money betting against them when I know they're over valued by the uneducated betting public skewing the pt spread....in that sense easy money $$ for me .....tyvm.

Thor

Point taken.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 pm

milani wrote:
MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Every season there is one game that defines that team for that year. Last year it was AP running over us in Week 17. Yesterday's game pretty much defined us as a team. We play hard, we get hurt, our young guys make mistakes, our coach grasps at straws, our QB tries to carry the team. Then we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as someone just put it. This team is reminiscent of 2008 in that they will find ways to lose. But they will get better as they did in 2009 and 2010. So that means in 2015 guys like Lacy and Franklin and Hayward and Jones we'll get their ring. Whether MM will be here to hoist it remains to be seen. I hope Jolley gets that chance.
Honestly, Milani, I don't see how you can consistently come up with the most negative spins on everything.  Yesterday defined the 2013 Green Bay Packers???  I think we'll eventually look back at this game as a freak game, an early season aberration in which we got a few untimely injuries and #12 had an off day.  Find ways to lose???  What do you base this on so early in the season?  And then say we'll bounce back in 2014 and 2015???  Huh???

Fess up.  They changed your meds again.  Smile
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Thor11 wrote:

Thor

You make a good point there, Thor, but what's the fun in betting against your team?  Sounds like another one of those masochistic Viking pleasures to me.  Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 am

duck wrote:
Thor11 wrote:

Thor

You make a good point there, Thor, but what's the fun in betting against your team?  Sounds like another one of those masochistic Viking pleasures to me.  Very Happy
If I'm not mistaken, you only like to gamble on highly calculated scenarios where no doubt you have a better than little edge....I've witnessed many of your offers Duck. In my case it's has nothing to do with being a fan....if you KNOW your team is in 'a bad spot' and the line is obviously off (not favoring the Vikes) then why not take the gift....something wrong with accepting gifts Duck?

Besides of all people in here you should be able too appreciate betting  "a sure thing",,ehh Duck?

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 am

Thor11 wrote:
duck wrote:
Thor11 wrote:

Thor

If I'm not mistaken, you only like to gamble on highly calculated scenarios where no doubt you have a better than little edge....I've witnessed many of your offers Duck. In my case it's has nothing to do with being a fan....if you KNOW your team is in 'a bad spot' and the line is obviously off (not favoring the Vikes) then why not take the gift....something wrong with accepting gifts Duck?

Besides of all people in here you should be able too appreciate betting  "a sure thing",,ehh Duck?

Thor

Well, I don't like to throw away money.  I don't place bets unless I feel the odds are at least even or ideally, tilted my way.  However, I bet with my heart in the sense that I don't place bets that I think are "smart" but which I really don't want to see happen.  There are some times where the Packers are favored by more points than I think they should be but I still couldn't bring myself to bet against them.  I would simply decline such a bet.

Now, if you have the objectivity and discipline to bet against your Vikings when you feel it's a wise bet, more power to you!

Poker, of course, is a different story.  I have no emotional attachment to any hand (or at least I try not to... I think we all fall in love somewhat with pocket aces for example, LOL) and I just try to make the most logical decision based on the cards shown, the betting progression, and my read on the players involved. 

Are you still playing poker, Thor?
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Well I've been accused of being a little miss mary sunshine, but I also was the first to weigh in on MM's shit play call...so I dunno.

Get in. Get hot.

I agree, they are good enough but they better get busy! 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:
MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Honestly, Milani, I don't see how you can consistently come up with the most negative spins on everything.  Yesterday defined the 2013 Green Bay Packers???  I think we'll eventually look back at this game as a freak game, an early season aberration in which we got a few untimely injuries and #12 had an off day.  Find ways to lose???  What do you base this on so early in the season?  And then say we'll bounce back in 2014 and 2015???  Huh???

It's not me that is so negative. It is you all who have asked for Capers' head and Campen's head and Slocum's head and MM's head and even TT's head.
Me?? I believe In Ted we Trust. He will lead us back to the promised land where hence we will face Philbin and Sherman at the Little Bighorn.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:
MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

It's not me that is so negative. It is you all who have asked for Capers' head and Campen's head and Slocum's head and MM's head and even TT's head.
Me?? I believe In Ted we Trust. He will lead us back to the promised land where hence we will face Philbin and Sherman at the Little Bighorn.
McCarthy has regressed into the comfort of his own mediocrity.  No longer pushing the envelope...no longer striving to establish himself, he is simply confident/comfortable in what he is...and what he is--is sorta pretty damn dumb...  That's why Rodgers can't help but contain his admonishment from time/time.  I'm sure it frustrates him to no end what he sees the fat boy calling in various situations.  It know it does me...

He just another Mike Sherman at this point--constantly outsmarting himself into rejecting common logic.  I'd slap the fat boy if I ran into him at Piggly Wiggly on his late night emergency ho/ho run...  Laughing  

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Thor11 wrote:

Thor

Is this really Thor?
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down