Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Chad Pennington

2 posters

Go down

More Chad Pennington Empty More Chad Pennington

Post by RickC Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am

Again, Chad is just really great guy -

Jets' Mark Sanchez learns new system with Chad Pennington in South Florida

Mark Sanchez traveled to South Florida in recent weeks to work with former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington. While with the Miami Dolphins, Pennington ran the offense of coach Tony Sparano, now the Jets’ new offensive coordinator.

Chad Pennington isn’t positive how Mark Sanchez got his number.

But one day in the weeks following the Jets’ tumultuous 8-8 season, he got a phone call. The current Jets quarterback asked the former Jets quarterback if he could help him, specifically with picking up new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system.

“He is extremely motivated and very hungry,” Pennington said by phone Friday. “He has a desire to right the ship and take advantage of what’s in front of him.”

Pennington agreed to meet, but not simply because of their Jets connection. He said it was “an honor” to share the experiences of his 11-year pro career with a young quarterback.

That young quarterback got a vote of confidence from the Jets organization Friday evening, in the form of a three-year contract extension worth $40.5 million, giving Sanchez a total of $58.25 million over the next five years, per a person with knowledge of the terms of the deal.

That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced the terms of the deal.

But during the weeks of negotiations, and the speculation about the Jets’ interest in former Indianapolis Colts MVP Peyton Manning, Sanchez’s sole focus was becoming a better quarterback in 2012. He cleared his head. He emptied his brain and his heart on a yellow pad of paper. And he called Pennington, to whom Sanchez says he owes “a lot of gratitude.”

The rules of the collective bargaining agreement do not permit players to discuss football with coaches until the start of the offseason program in April. So Sanchez sought out Pennington, who uniquely played for Sparano in Miami and former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and could be a translator of sorts.

Sanchez flew to Ft. Lauderdale twice in February for a series of four or five classroom sessions with Pennington. They met in a hotel conference room for a few hours at a time, discussing Sparano’s philosophy and terminology, and “how Tony thinks.”

Sparano was the head coach during Pennington’s three seasons in Miami, one as the Comeback Player of the Year and two cut short by injury. Pennington brought his old notes and left them with Sanchez between sessions, finding the next day that Sanchez had spent hours studying them.

“Sparano is a perfect fit, not only for Mark but for the Jets,” said Pennington, who has worked with combine-bound quarterbacks at the South Florida facility of New Jersey-based TEST Football Academy the past two springs. “Tony will understand how to complement Rex’s defense and how to teach Mark the difference between losing games and winning games.”

Pennington identified Sparano’s emphasis on the run game and not turning the ball over, scoring when the offense has the chance to score and not paying too much attention to offensive statistics as good fits for Ryan’s attacking-style defense. He and Sanchez covered topics like how Sparano likes to protect the quarterback, how plays might be called and how the coach would approach situations such as the two-minute drill.

The two quarterbacks found they had a lot more to talk about than simply X’s and O’s — “everything included” with being a quarterback in the NFL, and the New York market.

“I don’t know if there’s anybody (better),” Sanchez said of Pennington. “He knew everything, and understood when we talked about the difficulties of the season and really underachieving last year. He knew every situation I was in, and more. It was great perspective to hear.”

Playing quarterback in New York, which Pennington did for eight seasons, is a unique occupation. He shared with Sanchez a method that helped him keep his bearings: He made a list of what defined him as a quarterback, and the characteristics he wanted to add. When Pennington faced criticism, he consulted the list. If the criticism did not relate to an area he wanted to improve, he paid it no mind.

“It became a useful tool, because in New York you can get out of whack as far as the criticism you are facing,” Pennington said. “You can easily forget about positives and focus only on the negatives. We talked about understanding that some criticisms you pay attention to, and some you don’t.”

It was a useful lesson for Sanchez, who helped the team to two AFC title games in his first two years but was inconsistent in his third pro season, low-lighted by a career-high 26 turnovers. He is now locked in as the Jets’ starter essentially through 2013 because of $20.5 million in guaranteed money in his extension — but questions about his future hung as recently as Thursday, when the Jets did their due diligence with Manning.

But Sanchez’s focus was never there. He mentioned Manning just once in his meetings with Pennington, whose Jets tenure ended with the Brett Favre trade in 2008. In late February, during one surge of media reports about Manning and the Colts’ impending split, Sanchez made a passing reference to the frenzy around the story line. And then they got right back to work.

“He is excited about working with his teammates, and having the locker room they know they need to have to be successful,” Pennington said. “He is excited about working with Tony. I think he sees they have a great opportunity to be successful, and he doesn’t want the opportunity to slip by.”

Jenny Vrentas: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]; twitter.com/JennyVrentas
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

More Chad Pennington Empty Re: More Chad Pennington

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:14 am

I think this is so funny. It's like crap teaching poop to stink. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Dmounts = Douchebag

First entry on the foes list
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Rick, the guy is a Browns fan. It's a diversion for him, called the off season.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Let me ask you this if San Chez was all that why does he need to worry about his job, why does he need a moderate QB teach him to be Moderate, why does he have to worry that the Jets are looking around to see if they can sign a better QB, and why has his numbers gone steadly down? As far as Pennington goes shake up my doucebag a little what did he do while in the NFL?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Dmounts wrote:Let me ask you this if San Chez was all that why does he need to worry about his job, why does he need a moderate QB teach him to be Moderate, why does he have to worry that the Jets are looking around to see if they can sign a better QB, and why has his numbers gone steadly down? As far as Pennington goes shake up my doucebag a little what did he do while in the NFL?

Someone doesn't know his football...

All you have to do is go to a football site and check Sanchez' stats. They have gotten better each season. His completion %, Yards passing, QB Rate, TD's, have increased in each of his 3 years in the league.

As for why he went to Pennington, this has already been explained. Chad was in that system, so the kid is going out of his way to learn the verbiage, and the playbook from someone who has experience with it. He could just wait till the team camps begin, but he is taking initiative. It's a positive thing. Now knocking Pennington is a joke.

Sure the guy had shoulder injuries which took his career and shredded it, and he didn't have the best arm in the world to begin with, but he was one of the most consistent QB's in history. He is 12th all time in QB Rating, and he is FIRST in completion percentage at 66%, he was also a 2x comeback player of the year. The guy was just saddled with a bad shoulder, but he was a damn good QB.

Sanchez biggest problems are his consistency, and sometimes his technique. Who better to coach him up than the all time leader in completion percentage, and one of the most fundamentally sound QB's to play the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Nice post Green Gang. You made your point didn't answer with a childish name calling jest. You answered with a fact. That my friend his how a true team fan makes someone stirring the pot sit on his fingers. It still makes you wonder why they would talk with Manning and wait until they did talk to him before giving San Chez his extention?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 am

Dmounts wrote:Nice post Green Gang. You made your point didn't answer with a childish name calling jest. You answered with a fact. That my friend his how a true team fan makes someone stirring the pot sit on his fingers. It still makes you wonder why they would talk with Manning and wait until they did talk to him before giving San Chez his extention?

I kind of understand it, there were something like 15 teams reportedly interested in Peyton, in other words just about every team that didn't have Brady, Rogers, Rivers, Breese, Eli M, Vick, etc. Any team that didn't have a QB in the top half of the league was thinking about Peyton.

I didn't like that they had that as an option even though I have the utmost respect for Peyton Manning as an NFL QB, after all we are talking about one of the absolute best of all time. However, he is 36, has had 4 surgeries on his neck in the last year, isn't a cold weather QB, etc. Just too risky, but I understand that they had to at least test the water.

Whether or not they actually spoke to him IDK. Of course media outlets reported that "since" the Jets gave Sanchez the extension, that "must" mean that Peyton turned them down, but nobody really knows if that happened, or if the Jets just moved on besides the Jets and Peyton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:26 pm

GangGreen wrote:
Dmounts wrote:Nice post Green Gang. You made your point didn't answer with a childish name calling jest. You answered with a fact. That my friend his how a true team fan makes someone stirring the pot sit on his fingers. It still makes you wonder why they would talk with Manning and wait until they did talk to him before giving San Chez his extention?

I kind of understand it, there were something like 15 teams reportedly interested in Peyton, in other words just about every team that didn't have Brady, Rogers, Rivers, Breese, Eli M, Vick, etc. Any team that didn't have a QB in the top half of the league was thinking about Peyton.

I didn't like that they had that as an option even though I have the utmost respect for Peyton Manning as an NFL QB, after all we are talking about one of the absolute best of all time. However, he is 36, has had 4 surgeries on his neck in the last year, isn't a cold weather QB, etc. Just too risky, but I understand that they had to at least test the water.

Whether or not they actually spoke to him IDK. Of course media outlets reported that "since" the Jets gave Sanchez the extension, that "must" mean that Peyton turned them down, but nobody really knows if that happened, or if the Jets just moved on besides the Jets and Peyton.

I think the mediot's take is that P6 let some teams know that he wasn't interested and the Jets were one of them. The same was said about the Skins.

Somebody here (Rocky?) mentioned the Cards as the perfect place for him, and so far that looks like a very real possibility, although Denver would be a very interesting choice also. I still can't buy that he's either healthy or coming to the AFCE.

Btw, I wouldn't put Vick in that list of QBs. If P6 were healthy just about any team would be foolish not to make a bid for him. If the Texans and Schaub or the Cowboys and Romo can be talked about, then why not Philly and Vick?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:47 pm

PatsRBest wrote:
GangGreen wrote:

I think the mediot's take is that P6 let some teams know that he wasn't interested and the Jets were one of them. The same was said about the Skins.

Somebody here (Rocky?) mentioned the Cards as the perfect place for him, and so far that looks like a very real possibility, although Denver would be a very interesting choice also. I still can't buy that he's either healthy or coming to the AFCE.

Btw, I wouldn't put Vick in that list of QBs. If P6 were healthy just about any team would be foolish not to make a bid for him. If the Texans and Schaub or the Cowboys and Romo can be talked about, then why not Philly and Vick?

I pretty much threw Vick in there because he just inked a 6 year deal, last year. So they are committed, there. Plus, when he is healthy, he is a dynamic player, you cant begrudge him that.

But like you said Peyton Manning, healthy could supplant just about any QB, I think only the upper echelon QB's would be safe, like Brees, Brady and the Discount Double Check. lol

I know what the news outlets are saying, but I think we both agree it's pretty much just speculation, unless we can attach Manning, the teams involved or Peyton's agent to some quote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 am

I pretty much threw Vick in there because he just inked a 6 year deal, last year. So they are committed, there. Plus, when he is healthy, he is a dynamic player, you cant begrudge him that.

But like you said Peyton Manning, healthy could supplant just about any QB, I think only the upper echelon QB's would be safe, like Brees, Brady and the Discount Double Check. lol

I know what the news outlets are saying, but I think we both agree it's pretty much just speculation, unless we can attach Manning, the teams involved or Peyton's agent to some quote.
[/quote]

The media is very easy to manipulate. The only thing that I've heard so far was that P6's wife liked Miami.

I didn't know that Philly signed Vick to a six year deal last year. If I were a Philly fan I'd be ticked off about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 am

I didn't know that Philly signed Vick to a six year deal last year. If I were a Philly fan I'd be ticked off about that

Ticked off doesn't BEGIN to cover it!!
Bad Newz Vick is a lousy human being, and not much of a QB, either.Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 pm

PatsRBest wrote:I pretty much threw Vick in there because he just inked a 6 year deal, last year. So they are committed, there. Plus, when he is healthy, he is a dynamic player, you cant begrudge him that.

The media is very easy to manipulate. The only thing that I've heard so far was that P6's wife liked Miami.

I didn't know that Philly signed Vick to a six year deal last year. If I were a Philly fan I'd be ticked off about that.
[/quote]

Yessir... 6 years / 100 million / 40 million guaranteed

He is slated to make 17 million next season, although after paying his debtors, ex wife, etc. I think they say he walks with 1.8 to 2 million and he can only touch 300 to 500 thousand of that, because "as per the courts ruling" 1.5mil goes directly into an escrow account that he cant touch for several years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Kaweb57 wrote:I didn't know that Philly signed Vick to a six year deal last year. If I were a Philly fan I'd be ticked off about that

Wow! I feel your pain. I didn't like the guy much before he was exposed as a dog killer.

Now I'm wondering why Philly is hitching it's wagon to the guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 pm

PatsRBest wrote:
Kaweb57 wrote:I didn't know that Philly signed Vick to a six year deal last year. If I were a Philly fan I'd be ticked off about that

Wow! I feel your pain. I didn't like the guy much before he was exposed as a dog killer.

Desperation.

That, or Andy Reid's overblown ego has infected the owner..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:52 am

Kaweb57 wrote:
PatsRBest wrote:

Desperation.

That, or Andy Reid's overblown ego has infected the owner..

I don't think Reid has as much say in player moves as we might think. We also have to consider the rumors that were out that the league intervened to get Vick in Philly in the first place

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down