Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN?

2 posters

Go down

ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN? Empty ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN?

Post by wyckedheart8 Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

In our [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wednesday, we mentioned that should [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] not end up in Miami, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] would certainly be interested. This is based on the assumption that Cleveland isn't yet fully committed to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and that Flynn is considered one of the best available free-agent quarterbacks.

On Thursday, Browns general manager Tom Heckert said that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wasn't in the team's future ("probably not the direction we're gonna go") but Flynn, at least according to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]'s Steve Doerschuk, is definitely an option. Doerschuk writes that "the gates are wide open to signing Matt Flynn next week." And when Heckert was asked if Flynn would be in Ohio for a visit after free agency begins Tuesday afternoon, he offered this:

“Ummmmmmm.”

That's a lot to glean from one long syllable, but Flynn makes a ton of sense.

He's not a physical specimen, nor does he possess a particularly strong arm. But in the right system, his smarts and accuracy are assets. NFL Films' Greg Cosell, who watches more game film than anyone whose not an NFL coach, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

"His attributes, based on film breakdown of his two NFL starts, derive from his talent as a timing and rhythm passer who’s decisive with his reads and throws, and has shown good accuracy in the short to intermediate areas. …One thing I liked was his pocket movement. He showed the ability to slide and maintain his downfield focus. That’s a far more important trait than running out of the pocket."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was impressed with Flynn's Week 17 performance against the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but he's also wary of trying to draw conclusions based on two meaningful games in four NFL seasons.

"Watching this game would leave me wanting more. And that's the problem, there isn't much more. He has just one other start, in 2010 against the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He put up good numbers that day, throwing for 251 yards and three touchdowns, but as this Lions game taught us numbers can be deceiving. Signing him to a huge deal is essentially rolling the dice he can be a Super Bowl-quality starter."

Is the risk worth it? It's hard to say, but this much is certain: Flynn will be cheaper than what it will cost the Browns to trade up from No. 4 to No. 2 to take [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. When asked generally about the Browns' plans to draft a quarterback, Heckert was noncommittal:

“We might do it. We’re not saying that’s the case," he said. Heckert also admitted to talking to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who hold the second-overall selection, but wouldn't classify the discussions as "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]." He called media reports surrounding the team's draft plans "crazy" and suggested the Browns could stay put.

"We feel very comfortable staying at [No.] 4 and getting a good player there, and that could happen," he said. "And we feel comfortable in moving down and getting more picks, we really do. It's way early to start talking about this stuff."

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]'s Jeff Schudal wrote Tuesday that bidding for Flynn is expected to involve Cleveland, Miami and Seattle (though the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] could be caught up in Manning Mania in the coming days). Schudal also notes that Flynn would be cost-effective option to RG3:
<BLOCKQUOTE>"Flynn could cost $40 million or more on a multiyear contract, but the Browns would retain all their draft choices if that is what they choose. Flynn, a seventh-round draft choice from LSU in 2008, would be able to step right in and play in the Browns' West Coast offense because what the Browns run and what the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] run have roots in Green Bay from the time current Browns president Mike Holmgren was the Packers' head coach from 1992-98."</BLOCKQUOTE>But on Thursday, attending the same Heckert press conference as Doerschuk, Schudal had a completely different take on the probability Flynn ends up in Cleveland.

"[Heckert] … implied the Browns will not go after Matt Flynn when the Packers quarterback becomes a free agent Tuesday."

"We're not down on Colt McCoy," Heckert added. "I want to make that clear. We talked (in January) about the protection stuff and receivers dropping balls. All that does factor in. If we catch more balls and protect him better can Colt be a lot better? Yes. That's our goal. We still think Colt can play in this league and it's our job to help him out."

Returning to what we wrote in the AFC North free agency preview: after a promising rookie season, McCoy regressed in Year 2, but again, that wasn't entirely his fault. There were allegations that the offense was too predictable, but this is what happens when a second-year quarterback is without his Pro Bowl running back, doesn't have a go-to receiver, and the offense line struggles to keep him upright. McCoy should get an opportunity to compete for the starting job but he likely won't head into training camp with his name atop the depth chart.

Either way, we'll know more come Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN? Empty Re: ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Flynn sounds a lot like what the browns already have. I would steer clear if I was Holmgren.

Back to top Go down

ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN? Empty Re: ARE THE BROWNS INTERESTED IN MATT FLYNN?

Post by rodevos1 Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Boy I dont know about that, I seen Flynn playing in preseason and in mop up duty when the Packers were finished running up the score on some poor team, he's pretty dang good. As long as he has some protection he can find a receiver. Hes accurate I know so the quicker he gets out of the NFC North the better for us Viking, Lions and Bears fans. Just in case Rodgers gets injured, we don't want another good passer over there for awhile. If anything it would help push who ever into the starting role and make them play better on the Browns team.
If I were Holmgren, I'd try and sign him up as soon as possible.
rodevos1
rodevos1

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Only time will tell if Flynn is going to be nothing but a lifetime backup ( even if he starts) average or a playoff caliber type QB, I know one thing for sure, he is a better QB then Dolt McThud, every Browns fan that dislikes Matt Flynn and wants nothing to do with him from this and the aol board said McThud was the franchise QB the Browns has needed since coming back in 99, all because he was a 70% + QB in college, I prayed and prayed that the Browns would stay the hell away from McThud before the draft, but no, they had to screw things up and draft him and give up a pick for him.Evil or Very Mad
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Oh and BTW, I wouldnt give Flynn everything in the world and the kitchen sink to get him here but I would make it hard for Miami, Seattle and whoever else is interested in him, I dont think he is going to cost 60+ million like a couple posters say's it will.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Wasn't it you who posted it would take at least 40 million to sign him? That would mean just over 7 million a year for 5 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down