Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny.

2 posters

Go down

Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny. Empty Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny.

Post by guppy Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Gotta give credit where credit is due. I'm a fan of humor that is imaginative and clever. This qualifies. LOL.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny. Empty Re: Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny.

Post by LRJets Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Too funny!
But every team loses 20-25% of personnel annually. Sadly, the Jets lost players because of their on/off field screw ups.
Ironically, the Packers board discussed the problem of paying the QB too much at the expense of suffering at other positions.
Well...Goodell wants parity. Minus the Jets and he got it!Smile
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny. Empty Re: Sorry Ravens, but this is pretty funny.

Post by guppy Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

LRJets wrote:Too funny!
But every team loses 20-25% of personnel annually. Sadly, the Jets lost players because of their on/off field screw ups.
Ironically, the Packers board discussed the problem of paying the QB too much at the expense of suffering at other positions.
Well...Goodell wants parity. Minus the Jets and he got it!Smile

It can't be easy shopping for the groceries and doing so on a limited budget. Scott Pioli built a solid repuation in NE as a G.M. (either deserved or undeserved), but then when he went to K.C., he was expected to work magic and transform the Chiefs, but failed miserably. Look at the three teams the Patriots beat in the Superbowls all those eons ago, Rams, Eagles, Panthers. What have they done since they made it to the Big Game? Not much. Not that the Pats have done spectacular since then, but they did make it to 2 more Superbowls, only to lose both, but I would generally consider them far more successful than the Rams, Eagles and Panthers overall. So what is the key to consistency? Lots of reasons probably. People get emotional about players, and fans think, "just pay him whatever it takes", but its a business, and, although difficult, G.M.s have to be especially careful about awarding long term contracts. Even Joe Montana and Peyton Manning did not stay with one team for their entire careers. The main reason? Money. And perceived "value" that you are getting for the money. Its a difficult balance. Was N.E. letting Welker get away being penny wise and pound foolish? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess we'll find out.

The Jets? More than anything, I think they just need a basic change in culture. A change in their fundamental identity. By that I mean I think Rex should not be so much a "player's coach" and want the players to like him. No more chest bumping when guys come off the field after a good play, as if he is like one of them. He should not project himself as "one of the guys", but rather, be their boss whom they had better do it "his way" or hit the highway. Rule with more of an iron fist so that there is a line between fear and respect, and it almost gets blurred, so that at times, the players aren't sure whether to fear the head coach or respect him, and maybe there is a little of both. He definitely needs to project more of an "I'm in charge here" persona. I don't know; maybe I'm all wrong with everything I just said. What do you think?
Now with the Ravens, Flacco is getting all this money. That has simply got to affect the team's ability to sign quality guys, especially to the bottom third of the roster and build depth. How can it not? It won't affect them paying the starters and team core, but by the time it comes to pay the bottom part of the 53 man roster, will there be enough money available? It will be especially interesting to see how the champs fare next season. What if they actually miss the playoffs? Will that affect the negotiations for Aaron Rogers' next contract? Will Green Bay say, "Aaron, you have to be reasonable, we think you are a better qb than Joe Flacco, but we don't want to happen to us what happened to Baltimore after they broke the bank for the quarterback".
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 am

I agree with your premise of some coaches getting "too close" with their players.
Pete Carroll's first trip around the NFL he was too friendly with the players, and it cost him with the Patriots and the Jets.
When he was the NE coach he played basketball with his players and developed "detrimental cameraderie".

The revenues in the NFL are so great, yet the caps upon the teams create parity. When a QB becomes "elite", the teams break the bank to give a new contract, and then it affects paying for other players.
Much better security in MLB and the NBA than the NFL.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down