Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games...

2 posters

Go down

Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games... Empty Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games...

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 pm

NEW YORK— New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, the NFL said Friday. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

The NFL said Friday the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.

Williams apologized for his role: "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it," he said.

No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines and loss of draft picks. The NFL said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources, during an investigation by the league's security department.

Players contributed cash to the pool, at times large amounts, and in some cases the money pledged was directed against a specific person, the NFL said.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

Payoffs included $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off," with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs. All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL also warns teams against such practices before each season.

"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said. "We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

Asked about potential criminal charges, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said:

"We believe that any violation of league rules should and will be handled by the Commissioner."

More Sporting News

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games... Empty Re: Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games...

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Buddy Ryan all over again! only on a grander scale! That said I dont think thi is just a Saints "thing"

Back to top Go down

Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games... Empty Re: Saint's coach paying players bounty money to knock players out of games...

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm

I hope there's some suspensions for the coaches. I agree with Captn that it's probably not just a "Saints thing," but they need to make it clear this shouldn't be done and the Saints will be the example.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 pm

cafealamo wrote:I hope there's some suspensions for the coaches. I agree with Captn that it's probably not just a "Saints thing," but they need to make it clear this shouldn't be done and the Saints will be the example.

How much you wanna bet that they're going to lose some draft picks and get some big fines?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:22 am

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:
cafealamo wrote:I hope there's some suspensions for the coaches. I agree with Captn that it's probably not just a "Saints thing," but they need to make it clear this shouldn't be done and the Saints will be the example.

How much you wanna bet that they're going to lose some draft picks and get some big fines?

Everyone does it right? I've heard that before.

The highest amounts were paid out during their SB winning season. When will the asterisk talk begin?

Back to top Go down

Post by Randell60 Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:21 am

Since it seems they wanted rewarded for injuring or ending a player's season/career, How about a choice....10 game suspension, fine and no pay or donate $250,000 or more each to a brain/spinal injury center or/MS/MD/ALS...etc and then have to speak at several High School and Colleges on sportsmanship and against what they did for personal gains...... They would not want me as the Commish!!
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by foghorn Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:26 am

Randell60 wrote:
Since it seems they wanted rewarded for injuring or ending a player's season/career, How about a choice....10 game suspension, fine and no pay or donate $250,000 or more each to a brain/spinal injury center or/MS/MD/ALS...etc and then have to speak at several High School and Colleges on sportsmanship and against what they did for personal gains...... They would not want me as the Commish!!
I got one to ad to your list.... they have to find a high school player who has spinal injury and pay his college expenses, mentor him till he can sustain himself.
foghorn
foghorn
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Randell60 Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 am

foghorn wrote:
Randell60 wrote:
I got one to ad to your list.... they have to find a high school player who has spinal injury and pay his college expenses, mentor him till he can sustain himself.
I like it!!! They have to get these guy's attention!!
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down