Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This guy cannot stay on the field

2 posters

Go down

This guy cannot stay on the field Empty This guy cannot stay on the field

Post by meiden Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I tell you, Delmas is worthless if he can't stay on the field. Mayhew has a decision to make this offseason. If Delmas asks for too much I say let him walk. It would be nuts to pay a lot for a guy who has chronic knee issues at the age of 25.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

This guy cannot stay on the field Empty Re: This guy cannot stay on the field

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Hmm. it's hard, you know he is good and you just keep hoping. And wonder.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 am

CorvetteDan wrote:Hmm. it's hard, you know he is good and you just keep hoping. And wonder.

I'm not as high as many here on Delmas as a talent. If he were the next great safety it would be worth giving him another contract. At this point I'll be disappointed with Mayhew if he gives him anything more than something that is a better deal for the Lions than Delmas. Not claiming I know what that number is but if Delmas is paid anywhere in the top 30 of safeties, it's probably too much given he can't stay on the field.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:53 am

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I have seen, the Lions' "D" is much better when Delmas is in there. But, again, what good is that if he can't stay on the field?

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

He is the general out there. His mouth might be more valuable than his play.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:39 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:He is the general out there. His mouth might be more valuable than his play.

Give me a list of generals who have lost battles and I'd put Delmas on that list. Just because he is the general doesn't mean he is good at it. The passing defense isn't very good even when he is playing. One of my problems with Delmas IS his mouth...if he'd shut up and play he might learn faster and play better.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

You are about the only one not seeing the defense greatly improve when he is in.

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 am

CorvetteDan wrote:You are about the only one not seeing the defense greatly improve when he is in.

Couldn't agree more, Dan!

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 am

CorvetteDan wrote:You are about the only one not seeing the defense greatly improve when he is in.

Not true Dan. Maybe about the only one HERE not seeing it but not in general. I've even posted an article or two in the past that had others talking about Delmas' weaknesses.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I see a huge improvement when he is in and healthy. And if he was in 16 games a year and healthy the improvement would increase further. The problem is we do not see that very often. And that is a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:54 am

I didn't watch the game yesterday, thank heavens, but maybe Delmas would have made a bit of a difference in the outcome. I don't know, tho...from all the reports, the Lions didn't show up for the first half again and got into too deep a hole to shovel their way out of. I guess my prediction of 8-8 might still be too optimistic what with their remaining schedule.

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 am

CorvetteDan wrote:I see a huge improvement when he is in and healthy. And if he was in 16 games a year and healthy the improvement would increase further. The problem is we do not see that very often. And that is a problem.

What shows the "huge improvement" Dan. I'm seriously wondering because I'd love to have some hope. Delmas was in the game last year when the Panthers ran up 409 yards behind a rookie QB. He was there when Dallas rolled up 434 yards. And he was there when the Saints rolled up 626 yards in the playoff game.

People who apologize for this defense never seem to acknowledge that the defense has played OK against poor offenses but rarely play well against good offenses. That is the Lions defense and Delmas.

Is the Liosn defense better with Delmas? Yes...but that is like going from horrible to bad. There really isn't a huge improvement. Delmas is a solid player but far from spectacular. Healthy he would start for most, if not all teams. He certainly isn't close to being a top tier safety even when healthy. So my point remains...Mayhew shouldn't pay him even close to top tier given he isn't top tier AND he can't stay healthy.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:34 am

He wasn't healthy then either. And neither were a few others. Of course I would complain about better players either.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 am

CorvetteDan wrote:He wasn't healthy then either. And neither were a few others. Of course I would complain about better players either.

He was "healthy" during all three of those games. He had 10 tackles in the Saints game for goodness sakes. How do you do that and not be some level of healthy. Dan...these are excusess. Guys play with pain every day and are considered healthy. Do you believe that all 11 starters on the Steelers defense are perfectly healthy right now? Polomalu and Gilbert are out..not just playing hurt.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

I have played ball most my life, basketball,softball, football in the Army and rec league, baseball and hockey. I played when I was healthy. I played when I was hurt. I have played basketball wearing an Army boot just to be able to walk. Fairing healthy is not the same as feeling like a stud. If you are not completely healthy and you are good, you will beat the average player. But the Elite now has an advantage over you and...he will try to exploit it. It also helps when your teammates can help cover for you. They do not have that ability by any means. Of course a few bad players can make the whole unit look bad. BTW, there are no bad players in the NFL. These people would make us look foolish. And the difference between good and great is very small.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:I have played ball most my life, basketball,softball, football in the Army and rec league, baseball and hockey. I played when I was healthy. I played when I was hurt. I have played basketball wearing an Army boot just to be able to walk. Fairing healthy is not the same as feeling like a stud. If you are not completely healthy and you are good, you will beat the average player. But the Elite now has an advantage over you and...he will try to exploit it. It also helps when your teammates can help cover for you. They do not have that ability by any means. Of course a few bad players can make the whole unit look bad. BTW, there are no bad players in the NFL. These people would make us look foolish. And the difference between good and great is very small.

Dan, when I say "bad" or anything like that it is relative to the "good" players in the NFL...not college, high school or pop warner. The difference is small but it is very, very clear that guys like Prince Miller are not good compared to players like Tim Jennings. One is very good for an NFL player and one is not very good as an NFL player. The Lions have a lot more players closer to Prince Miller.

Also, guys like Ed Reed play hurt all the time and the elite receivers don't beat him like a drum. Ed Reed, when healthy is head and shoulders better than Delmas when healthy. Same goes when both are hurt. Hell I'll take Ed Reed playing hurt over a healthy Delmas. Delmas played in all three of those games and played pretty damn well and yet the defense stunk out loud. In the Saints game for goodness sakes he had 10 tackles and 7 solo. Best tackling game of the year for him. He's never been much at coverage...in the previous 11 HEALTHY games...that is before he was hurt...he had all of 5 PDs and ZERO ints. He is a tackler and had 10 of them against the Saints in a game that had over 600 yards offense against the Lions. Delmas isn't a difference maker...he just slightly improves the defense when he is in.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm

There is only one Ed Reed though. And he is also elite above the other 30 also. But also remember, if you are not better than they are, have you earned the right to complain?

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:36 am

CorvetteDan wrote:There is only one Ed Reed though. And he is also elite above the other 30 also. But also remember, if you are not better than they are, have you earned the right to complain?

Dan,

First off I used Ed Reed to prove the point...not as the sole example. The point is that some players are better than others...I think that is a pretty fair statement.

Also, with the money I spend on tickets, NFL gear, and Sunday Ticket I absolutely have earned any right to complain. This is an entertainment business and as such I have all the right in the world to complain. I support the team and they continue to make the same mistake over and over and as such I will complain.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:41 am

You do have the right for certain expectations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am

Mike. I guess the resl way to cay this is we don't have any shut down corners or safeties or etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down