Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions Defensive Line: Much Ado about not much?

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Lions Defensive Line: Much Ado about not much? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Lions Defensive Line: Much Ado about not much?

Post by meiden Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:01 am

RLMcB wrote:I just
don't see how taking a receiving threat off the field doesn't take away
from the passing game. What would be a positive that doesn't take have
to take away a negative is if the 5 OL could run block like many groups
in the league. Execution is absolutely the key to success in the
NFL...when a team can execute a run blocking scheme the team needs to
put in a gimmick like a sixth OL.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Undrafted
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mike, there is something to be said for being able to line up and say, "We're going to run the ball, either through you or over you whether you like it or not." I don't really care if it takes 9 blockers to impose a running game when it is the most important, late in a game when they are leading. Would I like it to happen with five O linemen? Absolutely, however, not often with our five, unfortunately. There is hope they will add to Reif and Sims again next year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We've finally made clear my point RL. I started this whole thing with my thinking that I'm glad that the Lion running game is doing well. What I wasn't clear about is that I hope they continue this scheme through the rest of this year. What you've made clear in your last couple of phrases is the main point of my comment. I hope Mayhew and Schwartz see that the main 5 we have are not good enough and that we need an upgrade...not a permanent change of scheme. Get replacements for Raiola and Peterman and let Reiff replace Cherilus or Backus and get back to a 5 OL group that can actually run block.

Until then...go with this scheme to keep the chains moving. But for goodness sakes...please no more WRs!!!!

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

The Lions Defensive Line: Much Ado about not much? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Lions Defensive Line: Much Ado about not much?

Post by meiden Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 am

RLMcB wrote:
CorvetteDan wrote:I like this., I like creativity. I like thinking outside the box. Now this might not work at all. Then again, it might become the next trend. I guess one question would "Does he have any hands?". They might put in a running play just for him. Or a 190 safety 'I have to tackle him?". Or a LB wanting to blitz and thinking better of it. A DL seeing him out there without a RB. Now they are thinking. Make them have to think more. And if he has hands, it isn't losing a passing threat. But now you have to plan against him 3 different ways.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Exactly Dan, get in the oppositions head, All they need to see is one ball thrown to him, whether he catches it or not, then he becomes a threat to them forever after. Just like he is used now, when he is in they must bring another defensive player up to the line to make sure the Lions don't have too big of an advantage to run the ball, because now the Lions have proven they can and will run the ball. Linehan can easily turn that into a passing threat also with a little out of the box thinking.

But are they in the oppositions head? If I'm an opposing DC I'm not worrying a second about Reiff catching a ball. That's like being a basketball coach and doubling a Center at the three point line. If the Lions want to beat me by throwing to Reiff then let them try. I'm going with 7 in the box to rush and defend the RB when they line up like that, doubling CJ and I still have two defenders to cover the remaining two WRs.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am

After he caught one you would. Sometimes it just takes one good play at the wrong time to ruin your day.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:After he caught one you would. Sometimes it just takes one good play at the wrong time to ruin your day.

Dan...as a DC, if Reiff caught one I wouldn't change a thing. Who would you rather have catching the ball...Reiff or CJ? If a Center hits a three pointer and spots up for another...go at it big man!!!!

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

As a DC, if you shut CJ down completely and Reif is marching the ball down the field, you have a problem. Just supposing. As a DC, you need to cover all scenarios possible. If they have 15 options and you cover 14, but not the right 14 well..what just happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2