Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR

3 posters

Go down

Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR Empty Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR

Post by meiden Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Glad we keep trading away assets or spending money on WRs.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR Empty Re: Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 am

Now wait a monute Mike. I see a conflict here. Every April I see you complaining about how useless the Lions' 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks are, but now you refer to them as assets. At least this way we know what he is getting--good or bad.

Back to top Go down

Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR Empty Re: Millen, er, Mayhew got himself ANOTHER WR

Post by Dawildboar Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

If getting this guy is at the expense of Lohan, it's a pick well spent. My guess is Lohan has until the Lions pick up their next Safety...today or tomorrow?
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

If I'm wrong correct me, but it was Burleson a WR that we lost for the season. He needed to be replaced and the trade for Mike Thomas was done with only a 5th rounder given in return? I think that was a good deal! How many Lion 5th round draftees ever work out? Right...not that many, and we do need anouther capabel WR. Besides he can return punts as well...Who knows, Logan might be the next to be released!

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:Now wait a monute Mike. I see a conflict here. Every April I see you complaining about how useless the Lions' 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks are, but now you refer to them as assets. At least this way we know what he is getting--good or bad.

First off I don't believe I've every said any picks in a general sense are "useless". What I complain about is that on these boards and with many Lions fans, guys like Green or even Bentley will "fix" holes and I don't believe you can say any 5th, 6th or 7th round pick can fix anything until he proves otherwise. Still, I've seen a 5th used for Sims and a lower pick used for Corey Williams. Never once complained about the use of those assets. No Dan...please show me where I've said those picks aren't assets or are useless and I'll admit my error but to this point all I complain about is how Mayhew uses those picks or how fans somehow thing low round picks are solutions.

And this trade is bad. 12 catches this year so far for Thomas. We don't yet know what pick was used but I certainly hope it's a seventh rounder. Thomas hasn't been much of anything for a while now. From a return standpoint he hasn't returned kicks since 2009 and really isn't much of anything at 7 ypa.

I just find it amazing that Burleson goes down and he finds a scrub quick as a wink but can't find anyone to step in at DB that isn't named Prince Miller.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm

I think Mayhew could find plenty of DB "scrubs" if he wanted to, Mike; and, I think he has plenty of times. But he is who he is and whatever he does won't please you. Criticize and complain is what you like to do, but the truth be told, there isn't much that can be done to fix the denfensive backfield until the off-season. And we all know that it does need fixing, but not by signing anymore "scrubs!"

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Dawildboar wrote:If getting this guy is at the expense of Lohan, it's a pick well spent. My guess is Lohan has until the Lions pick up their next Safety...today or tomorrow?

Did you mean Logan, Boar?

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm

SharBar57 wrote:
Dawildboar wrote:If getting this guy is at the expense of Lohan, it's a pick well spent. My guess is Lohan has until the Lions pick up their next Safety...today or tomorrow?

Sharon

Yup, but he plays like Lindsay Lohan so....clown
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Dawildboar wrote:
SharBar57 wrote:

Sharon

Yup, but he plays like Lindsay Lohan so....clown

ROTFLMAO! Laughing

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Now Mike, you can not say that you do not complain about Mayhew's low order picks. Now I can't say much because I do not follow college football that much and player wise I do not know who's who so I rely on you guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:39 pm

While it is Mayhew's final say so, there are a whole herd of personnel that go into evaluating any player acquisition. That goes all the way back to college scouts. What were the players strengths and weaknesses, how did he do at the combine, etc. Next the pro scouts weigh in, and the position coaches, then coordinators. Mayhew is not making these decisions in a vacuum, others have a lot of input. Sure he gets a lot of credit for trades like the Roy Williams, Corey Williams, or Rob Sims, but he also takes the heat for trades like Julian Peterson, remember him? Looking at the big picture, Mayhew has made his mark by pulling the trigger on many trades like the CB Houston and TE Schefler, DE Lo Jack as well as those mentioned before that have brought very good players here. He's one of the better GMs in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 pm

I agree, RL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:04 am

RLMcB wrote:While it is Mayhew's final say so, there are a whole herd of personnel that go into evaluating any player acquisition. That goes all the way back to college scouts. What were the players strengths and weaknesses, how did he do at the combine, etc. Next the pro scouts weigh in, and the position coaches, then coordinators. Mayhew is not making these decisions in a vacuum, others have a lot of input. Sure he gets a lot of credit for trades like the Roy Williams, Corey Williams, or Rob Sims, but he also takes the heat for trades like Julian Peterson, remember him? Looking at the big picture, Mayhew has made his mark by pulling the trigger on many trades like the CB Houston and TE Schefler, DE Lo Jack as well as those mentioned before that have brought very good players here. He's one of the better GMs in my book.

Peterson...McB is digging deep there! I do remember him and I thought he was a good pick up, history showed it wasn't. Foote is a player that has played pretty good since the Lions didn't sho interest in him. Mayhew has plenty of transactions to judge on. He's like Leyland, frustrating at times but one of the best at his trade. Mayhew would have a job on his way home from being released, that hasn't been the case for a Lions GM in my life.
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:34 am

You're right. Any GM prior to Mayhew would have been given a one was ticket to China or some similar plsce.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:Now Mike, you can not say that you do not complain about Mayhew's low order picks. Now I can't say much because I do not follow college football that much and player wise I do not know who's who so I rely on you guys.

I absolutely can say that I don't complain about Mayhew's low order picks. I don't care enough about them. I complain about fans who look at those players as solutions to holes. Show me where I slammed the Jonte Green pick other than to say he wasn't a solution to our starting CB problem. He is what he is... a 7th round pick and a CB and my only problem is that Mayhew didn't use the second round pick on a CB who stood a MUCH better chance to start. I complain about Mayhew not solving the problem...not that Green was a 7th round pick.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm

RLMcB wrote:While it is Mayhew's final say so, there are a whole herd of personnel that go into evaluating any player acquisition. That goes all the way back to college scouts. What were the players strengths and weaknesses, how did he do at the combine, etc. Next the pro scouts weigh in, and the position coaches, then coordinators. Mayhew is not making these decisions in a vacuum, others have a lot of input. Sure he gets a lot of credit for trades like the Roy Williams, Corey Williams, or Rob Sims, but he also takes the heat for trades like Julian Peterson, remember him? Looking at the big picture, Mayhew has made his mark by pulling the trigger on many trades like the CB Houston and TE Schefler, DE Lo Jack as well as those mentioned before that have brought very good players here. He's one of the better GMs in my book.

Mayhew has the final word and he also sets the strategy. He is the one who has the responsibilty for picking Broyles with the second round pick and not Lavote David. I know others provide input but Mayhew makes the decisions.

I've given Mayhew a solid B up to this point. His grade has downward support given what has gone on this year but that could change. I'd agree he is an OK GM who helped bring the team back from the cellar...does he have what it takes to get them to the next level? I am not so sure.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Ok Mike, let me word it differently then. Let us say you don't seem to be impressed by many low order picks.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 am

CorvetteDan wrote:Ok Mike, let me word it differently then. Let us say you don't seem to be impressed by many low order picks.

Dan...no need to re-word anything. It is what it is...they are 5th, 6th and 7th rounders. Rarely do any teams really low picks become much more than STs players or backups. On rare occassions you see better as the Lions did with Hill and Willie Young. We just see so much talk about players like Hogue, Fox, and now Whitehead and Lewis.

Hogue is gone, Fox still can't crack the starting lineup even though he is finally healthy and even when Levy went down it wasn't Lewis or Whitehead who stepped in but Palmer. I'm not saying that Fox, Lewis or Whitehead won't become players and I challenge you to show me where I said that any of those were bad picks. All I said was that Mayhew didn't address either the DB or LB holes in the offseason in a way that would help this season or even next. Bentley (THIRD round) found his way to the field but wasn't ready as he was burned time and again. He may be OK in years to come but now is out on IR and missing most of his rookie season so he will likely still make rookie mistakes next year costing the Lions.

I've been very clear what I think of Mayhew's use of lower round picks. Meh! I don't really care unless he trades them for guys like Houston or Williams in which I've given Mayhew credit.

Again...I can't be more clear on this...going into this year I gave Mayhew a solid B. I just can't fathom, given the flawed nature of this team, how one can give him much higher of a grade unless the bar is set really low. This past offseason he again wasted resources which were balanced by a few solid moves.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 am

It's a vast improvement over Millen. At least we are not seeing a 4th rounder going out for a new waterboy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Whoa! Halt! Cease! Stop! Mike gives MM, not M Millen, a "B" grade, Dan, hesh yo mouth, man. That is a very positive grade from our fondly referred to curmudgeon. Let us cease poking him with a sharpened stick. All joking aside Mike, I wholeheartedly and thoroughly agree with that grade. It is very fair. It is a job fraught with dangers and the landscape is littered with carcasses of good men that couldn't become successful. We, as Lions fans have endured more than our fair share of them. Be very glad, as I am, we don't have a Midwest version of Jerruh Jones. Giving good grades but not being pleased with the results is OK by me. I want to be ecstatic, not merely mollified by improvement. I too yearn for that steady upward trajectory of improvement, not the fits and starts is has been so far this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Well, RL, 1st, I really disgust when it concerns you're Arkansas Rube. That man has no class whatsoever. Now I know Mike is giving the B to MM. Out of Mike that is pretty high praise. By the same token, he always sees the glass half empty. And one thing is, is that none of us knows 5% of what is going on behind the scenes. And one thing to look at is not every will work out the same way in different environments. How many times does a player go from one team to another and sucks after doing well at his old home, or all of a sudden blossoms in a new environment. GM's have to have a feel for this and it is not supposed information they readilly spread around. Often you hear "He is right for our system.".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, I find myself in a lot of agreement with both of Y'all. I love the thought of how the Arky in Dallas was just sure that Roy Williams would the answer to Megatron when he gave up a small ransom to get him. Same for when he signed Pacman.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 am

CorvetteDan wrote:Well, RL, 1st, I really disgust when it concerns you're Arkansas Rube. That man has no class whatsoever. Now I know Mike is giving the B to MM. Out of Mike that is pretty high praise. By the same token, he always sees the glass half empty. And one thing is, is that none of us knows 5% of what is going on behind the scenes. And one thing to look at is not every will work out the same way in different environments. How many times does a player go from one team to another and sucks after doing well at his old home, or all of a sudden blossoms in a new environment. GM's have to have a feel for this and it is not supposed information they readilly spread around. Often you hear "He is right for our system.".

Dan, many fans, give way too much credit to these guys in management. Yes they make a bunch of money for doing something that few of us "fans" ever get a chance to do. Much of that is because they've worked their way from lower level coaching, worked closely with people who are in position to hire them, or have played the game and shown interest in management after they quit playing. None of that means absolutely that they can do the job.

This whole system thing is true in a sense but also a way to justify bringing people in. Lacey was not right for the Colts system but fit the Lions system. That's what we heard. He has been horrible now in all systems. I don't say that it could never happen that a player who isn't very good in one system could come to the Lions system and be very good. What I'm saying and have always said is that you can't count on the Lacey, Bryant (WR), Coleman, Peterman, etc. etc. etc. types to all of the sudden be special when they come to Detroit. Nor should they say that real talents like David Harris and Posluszny can be good in most systems.

Mayhew's history has so far been quite average to below average in bringing in free agents. Part of that seems to be his strategy of looking for bargains and hoping those guys "fit" our system better than the system they came from. He is better with trades as he gets pretty good value for low picks. Drafting is a real mixed bag. He's grabbed a few nice gems from lower rounds and done a pretty good job with the high picks. His mid-round picks have left a lot to be desired.

He was stuck withi high picks under the old CBA which made things tough in cap management and he's done OK but the real work is ahead of him keeping Stafford and Suh. My guess is that Suh goes elsewhere as they can't keep all three and Mayhew shows he thinks the resources need to be spent on the offensive side of the ball.

Mayhew deserves his B grade to this point. My guess though is that the future challenges put downward pressure on his grade. That may be crumudgeon or glass half empty. It's still the way I see it and I haven't seen anyone give me good reason to believe otherwise. I just don't buy into ideas like "why be so pessimistic, Fox is ready to step in at RT, guys like Lacey, Florence, and Barnes are upgrades (notice Barnes is gone?), and Leshoure will establish the running game".

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Well, you must give something to management. They got hired and we didn't. At the same time, we don't always know the real situation. And a lot of times all he has to go on is his gut feeling. That kind of stuff happens in games constantly. Trying to guess the other sides plan. You guess right you're a hero, guess wrong you become the clown. My high school had something similar in their playoff game this weekend. He saw a trend that could possibly be expoited and he kept it under his hat until the last possession of the game. Then the QB pulled a Mathew Stafford and ran it in from four yards out for their only touchdown of the game and the win. BTW-Lake Orion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down