Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stafford's poor passing stats?

2 posters

Go down

Stafford's poor passing stats? Empty Stafford's poor passing stats?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:51 pm

It amazes me all the chatter about Stafford and Johnson being in a slump and being such a big disappointment this season. Just think of how much better Stafford would be if he had a consistent ground game (like Eli and Jay Cutler) or if he didn't always have to play from behind because of a sorry defense. Again, he led a game winning drive today to bail the team out and Titus and Pettigrew and Backus played well. But I think we would see a much better statistical QB if there were balance on other parts of the ball. The Lions as they are currently built put too much pressure on the QB position to bail them out.

WallyRob1249

(Formerly RWalker from AOL Board)

Back to top Go down

Stafford's poor passing stats? Empty Re: Stafford's poor passing stats?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 am

Robert, both the offense and defense are rated in the top ten. The defense is tops in tackles for loss in the running game. The offense has sputtered at times and been anemic to begin some games. However, the kick-off coverage and punt coverage are directly responsible for two losses. For all the injuries on the defense, from C Will, Levy to all the DBs, they have held up pretty well. Some guy always seems to step up, like Ricardo Silva yesterday, with a fumble recovery and an INT. Even Alphonso Smith had a good game. On offense, someone stepped up like they should, but few have in the last few games. Titus Young should have dispelled any talk of why he was drafted with yesterday's performance. He and Broyles will fill Burleson's shoes nicely. Next Sunday they have a road game they should win @ Jax, which would make them 4-4 @ the half-way mark. Then the following week another back to back road game @ Minny, one they really need to win. After that, 5 of the last seven games are @ home.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 pm

RLMcB wrote:Robert, both the offense and defense are rated in the top ten. The defense is tops in tackles for loss in the running game. The offense has sputtered at times and been anemic to begin some games. However, the kick-off coverage and punt coverage are directly responsible for two losses. For all the injuries on the defense, from C Will, Levy to all the DBs, they have held up pretty well. Some guy always seems to step up, like Ricardo Silva yesterday, with a fumble recovery and an INT. Even Alphonso Smith had a good game. On offense, someone stepped up like they should, but few have in the last few games. Titus Young should have dispelled any talk of why he was drafted with yesterday's performance. He and Broyles will fill Burleson's shoes nicely. Next Sunday they have a road game they should win @ Jax, which would make them 4-4 @ the half-way mark. Then the following week another back to back road game @ Minny, one they really need to win. After that, 5 of the last seven games are @ home.

This is a repeat of last year and again I'll argue what I did after so many talked about the Lions top 10 defense in the first half last year. The offenses they have played so far are ranked as such: 28, 8, 24, 22, 14, 26, 30 in yards per game. That is an average of about 22. In points per game those teams ranked: 31, 15, 21, 16, 29, 8, 28 for an average of 21. I just don't see how this defense should be lauded on anything to this point. If they keep this up against the Packers, Houston and Atlanta I'll give them props. They didn't play very well yesterday...They gave up 369 yards to a team that averages 303 ypg. This 30th ranked offense of the Seahawks normally scores 17ppg but the Lions gave up 24.

They should beat Jax but then they should've beaten TN and then MN at home. I never had a problem with picking Young...I had a problem picking Broyles. Broyles may end up being pretty good but he was a luxury pick when it was clear yesterday that Raiola, Peterman, Cherilus and even Sims aren't much to write home about on the OL.

To me this is a 3-4 team for three reasons... 1. STs has been atrocious though improving a shade the past couple of weeks. 2. Way too many penalties. 3. A pretty pitiful give/take ratio.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Robert, both the offense and defense are rated in the top ten. The defense is tops in tackles for loss in the running game. The offense has sputtered at times and been anemic to begin some games. However, the kick-off coverage and punt coverage are directly responsible for two losses. For all the injuries on the defense, from C Will, Levy to all the DBs, they have held up pretty well. Some guy always seems to step up, like Ricardo Silva yesterday, with a fumble recovery and an INT. Even Alphonso Smith had a good game.
RLMcB - the Lions defensive rankings show just how meaningless these stats can be. While the Lions may be tops in tackles for loss in the running game, I wonder where they rank in allowing opposing teams to convert on third downs. Yesterday, I turned the station every time the Lions scored because I knew the defense would somehow give it right back. There's no way the Lions defense should have allowed a rookie QB (a 5'10 rookie to boot) stand tall in the pocket in a comfort zone and lead his team up and down the field like they let Wilson yesterday. On the Lynch TD, the guy ran through untouched. Horrible! Folks make a big ado about the number of comeback wins Stafford leads - but its only because he plays on team whose defense (and special teams I will concede) always leaves them in a position to play from behind. I think Jim Schwartz should be in trouble job wise because sloppy play and breakdowns are his team's hallmark. Gunther Cunningham at the very least needs to go after this season if not before. But already, Mayhew is one, two years behind schedule taking these actions just like he was negligent in not addressing the defensive back seven higher in the draft.

Well this may be my last post for a few days. Sandy is on the way and we are sure to lose power any hour/min. now. Check w/ you guys later...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Walker, great to have you back where you belong!

KVB said that they'd be under performing if they didn't lead the league in sacks...I agreed and still do. The money they have invested isn't worth the return. Special Teams STINK and the rest of he team is a little North of average except for Stafford who is 3rd in the league for passing yards per game. Something is wrong with C.J.

Coaching is a little South of average and that has me as concerned as anything. The Lions will need some breaks to play more than 16 meaningful games this year and guess what? They're due for some lucky breaks!

Lions must win the next two games for sure, they held Ponder to 100 yards, they can do it but first they need to take care of the Jags, no ifs ands or buts...w/o MJD it shouldn't be close. I'll be attending the Green Bay game, I will do my part for damn sure. Texans on TDay? No favor in that matchup...

It won't be easy but if the Lions are 6 & 5 after TDay...I like the odds of playing a meaninful 17th game!

Like you Walker I'm staring down Sandy, good luck to all!!!

Thank You Tigers & Go Lions!!!
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down