Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troy Best Days Behind Him

5 posters

Go down

Troy Best Days Behind Him Empty Troy Best Days Behind Him

Post by leejr Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:06 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Want more real-time Pittsburgh Steelers news?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ×

Are Troy Polamalu's Best Days Behind Him?

By
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.](Contributor) on October 3, 2012

271 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Justin K. Aller/Getty Images

As a Pittsburgh native, I have been geographically endowed with two blessings: Primanti Bros. and a perennially great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] defense. Having watched some of the most celebrated defenses of the last decade, I would not hesitate to sum up that era with one word: Polamalu.

Perhaps the most instinctual player of his generation, Troy Polamalu will be remembered for his uncanny ability to find the football and make a play when it matters most; whether it be[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as soon as he snaps the ball or a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] when the game is on the line, if anyone ever fit the role as a "prime-time performer" it's Polamalu.

However, in recent years, health and durability are questions that have loomed over the five-time All-Pro and 2010 Defensive Player of the Year. His explosive play sometimes works to his detriment, as his 5'10", 207-lb frame is not always so forgiving against running backs and tight ends that outweigh him by as much as 50 pounds ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]' tight end Rob Gronkowski clocks in at 6'6", 265 lbs).

While there is no doubting his abilities on the field when he is healthy, the various ailments he has accumulated over his 10-year [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] career could limit his productivity in the future.

Already this season Polamalu has missed two games; his absence was most notably evident in the Steelers' most recent 34-31 loss to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Unable to get off the field on third downs (Oakland converted seven of 12) and allowing a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to the Raiders' [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the Steelers seriously missed Polamalu's presence.

Considering his recent past with injuries (not to mention several documented concussions) I'm only confident that he may be able to play 10-12 games a year. And yes, while there is this mentality in the NFL of "the next man up," the proof is in the pudding for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When Polamalu isn't on the field, they are a different defense.

His warrior-like style of playing defensive back is one that will surely be emulated by young safeties, but it should come with a warning that there is a limit to what your body can absorb. Polamalu's instinctual abilities will never fail him; if anything, it will be his physical ones.
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Troy Best Days Behind Him Empty Re: Troy Best Days Behind Him

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 pm

leejr wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Want more real-time Pittsburgh Steelers news?

By
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.](Contributor) on October 3, 2012

271 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As a Pittsburgh native, I have been geographically endowed with two blessings: Primanti Bros. and a perennially great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] defense. Having watched some of the most celebrated defenses of the last decade, I would not hesitate to sum up that era with one word: Polamalu.

Perhaps the most instinctual player of his generation, Troy Polamalu will be remembered for his uncanny ability to find the football and make a play when it matters most; whether it be[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as soon as he snaps the ball or a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] when the game is on the line, if anyone ever fit the role as a "prime-time performer" it's Polamalu.

However, in recent years, health and durability are questions that have loomed over the five-time All-Pro and 2010 Defensive Player of the Year. His explosive play sometimes works to his detriment, as his 5'10", 207-lb frame is not always so forgiving against running backs and tight ends that outweigh him by as much as 50 pounds ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]' tight end Rob Gronkowski clocks in at 6'6", 265 lbs).

While there is no doubting his abilities on the field when he is healthy, the various ailments he has accumulated over his 10-year [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] career could limit his productivity in the future.

Already this season Polamalu has missed two games; his absence was most notably evident in the Steelers' most recent 34-31 loss to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Unable to get off the field on third downs (Oakland converted seven of 12) and allowing a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to the Raiders' [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the Steelers seriously missed Polamalu's presence.

Considering his recent past with injuries (not to mention several documented concussions) I'm only confident that he may be able to play 10-12 games a year. And yes, while there is this mentality in the NFL of "the next man up," the proof is in the pudding for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

His warrior-like style of playing defensive back is one that will surely be emulated by young safeties, but it should come with a warning that there is a limit to what your body can absorb. Polamalu's instinctual abilities will never fail him; if anything, it will be his physical ones.

He hasn't played anywhere near the amount of time that Balitmore's Ed Reed has played although Reed plays the free safety position and Troy plays the strong safety position.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:
leejr wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

By

271 reads

He hasn't played anywhere near the amount of time that Balitmore's Ed Reed has played although Reed plays the free safety position and Troy plays the strong safety position.

Is it possible to maybe move Troy over to the free safety position and maybe we'd see more picks from Troy and preserve him for a few more years? This would be a question for one of you real strong football knowledge guys. I'm not sure that Troy would be good playing that position.

Back to top Go down

Post by leejr Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Is it possible to maybe move Troy over to the free safety position and maybe we'd see more picks from Troy and preserve him for a few more years? This would be a question for one of you real strong football knowledge guys. I'm not sure that Troy would be good playing that position.

Die,just my opinion Troy is quick, but I just don't think he's fast enough to play FS. Does this make sense?
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:10 pm

leejr wrote:Is it possible to maybe move Troy over to the free safety position and maybe we'd see more picks from Troy and preserve him for a few more years? This would be a question for one of you real strong football knowledge guys. I'm not sure that Troy would be good playing that position.

Die,just my opinion Troy is quick, but I just don't think he's fast enough to play FS. Does this make sense?

Yea, makes sense. I thought the same thing but I wasn't sure. I noticed his speed isn't all that great on chasing receivers down so maybe in the back of my mind, I already knew the answer. I just hate to see such a great talented player go downhill so fast. He has such an amazing skill-set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 pm

IF TEH OFFENSE KOULD MOVE TEH BALL..AND ALSO ESTABLISH A RUN GAME....IT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF PRESSURE OFF TEH DEFENSE...EXACTLY HOW LONG DID YOU THINK THIS DEFENSE KOULD COVER FOR TOMLIN AND TAHT GARBAGE OFFENSE?....IT WORE THEM OUT...SIMPLE AS THAT...TEHY HAVE HAD TO RELY AND COMPENSATE FOR ALL TEH OFFENSE'S PROBLEMS FOR YEARS....CANT BE DONE NO MORE....TOMLIN HAS FAILED..AN DITS OBVIOUS HE HAS NO PLAN...OR AT LEAST SOME OF TEHSE ISSUES WOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED...HE HASNT EVEN ATTEMPTED TO FIX THEM...JUST UNTIL THIS LAST YEAR HE HASNT DONE A THING WITH TAHT LINE....AND HES NEVER ATTEMPTED ONCE TO PUT A RUN GAME TOGETHER....AND HIS BAD DRAFTING IS TEH ICING ON TEH CAKE...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 pm

AND TEH PLAYCALLING AND TOMLIN'S OFFENSIVE PHILOSIPHYS ARE AS BAD OR WORSE THAN WHEN ARIANS WAS HERE....TAHT PLAYBOOK WILL NEVER GET THEM ANYWHERE...

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 am

Troy is clearly faster than Ryan Clark...he's plenty fast enough for either safety position. At FS, he';d be one of the faster guys in the league, as a matter of fact, but he just fits better at SS.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stampede Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 am

DaRKMuMMySauRuS wrote:AND TEH PLAYCALLING AND TOMLIN'S OFFENSIVE PHILOSIPHYS ARE AS BAD OR WORSE THAN WHEN ARIANS WAS HERE....TAHT PLAYBOOK WILL NEVER GET THEM ANYWHERE...

Did somebody fart?

Stampede

Back to top Go down

Post by foghorn Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 am

Stampede wrote:
DaRKMuMMySauRuS wrote:AND TEH PLAYCALLING AND TOMLIN'S OFFENSIVE PHILOSIPHYS ARE AS BAD OR WORSE THAN WHEN ARIANS WAS HERE....TAHT PLAYBOOK WILL NEVER GET THEM ANYWHERE...

Did somebody fart?
Dozens of times?
foghorn
foghorn
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Troy Best Days Behind Him Empty IS TROYS BEST DAYS BEHIND HIM.

Post by wyckedheart8 Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah, Troy's best days are behind him and players that play and hit as hard as he does usually go downhill fast once they start getting injuries in the same areas in consecutive seasons, it happened with Ronnie Lott, Kenny Easley and so fourth but the one big thing they still had going for them in those last few years was experience they could pass onto younger players and big time leadership, Troy can still play and if I were the head coach the first thing I would do would be to give him a couple days off from practice so his body has a little more time to heal between games, a guy like Troy no longer needs to put in those long hard practice days because he already know what he has to do to get it done on Sundays, his leadership and knowledge is invaluable to all those young players even those on the offense, as I said Tomlin needs to allow his body a couple extra days after the game to heal, Troy will be fine.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:47 pm

BTW, Troys next stop is Canton. AND I STILL HATE HIM Surprised
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 pm

wyckedheart8 wrote:BTW, Troys next stop is Canton. AND I STILL HATE HIM Surprised

It's always nice to see an honest opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down