Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEEE-Fense... AND a running game!

2 posters

Go down

DEEE-Fense... AND a running game! Empty DEEE-Fense... AND a running game!

Post by duck Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am

I hardly recognized this team. Well, I recognized the dropped passes and the unreliable nature of our manchild TE... but defense and a running game??

Wow, this is the best defensive performance I have seen from a Packer team in ages! These guys were playing full throttle, ball hawking, and even tackling. What a change from four days ago. The best part was that the improvement in overall team speed from last year was very evident. Matthews was simply unreal but the other guys provided some pressure too. Tramon Williams, this year vs. last year: night and day. Even Hawk looked pretty good. If this defense continues to jell, when our offense wakes up, we are going to have a good product.

Cedric Benson looked good too. A couple of times he made solid gains out of nothing. I can't remember the last time a Packer running back did that. Using Cobb as a change of pace was a nice touch too. That's going to give opposing DCs something to think about in the future.

It's almost as though McCarthy had been reading our board... he got away from the cerebral stuff and started playing smashmouth football.

I don't want to get too excited about this performance any more than I got depressed about the Niner loss... but I sure liked what I saw last night, in these two phases of the game, anyway.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

DEEE-Fense... AND a running game! Empty Re: DEEE-Fense... AND a running game!

Post by milani Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Obviously, we played better than in week 1 but the Bears are not the 9ers. They played right into our hands. They have good athletes but really don't play the physical style that they did once upon a time. The 9ers do and that is why they decked us.

Once Forte went out I knew Cutler was not going to throw to one of his backs. Instead of trying to run more quick slants and screens he wanted to drop back, wait and wait. Alex Smith and Eli Manning attacked us much differently and it worked. I'd rather face a Cutler who can slice you with his arm but also hand you an Xmas present the same day. Lovie's cover 2 may keep you from getting the home run ball but it won't stop the run and the nickel and dime passes.

The old man driver was short lived but when he was called on stage he was " dancing with the end zone."
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down