Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the land of nutless sacks...

3 posters

Go down

Welcome to the land of nutless sacks... Empty Welcome to the land of nutless sacks...

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Donald Driver mystified at getting just three snaps

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 12, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] knew he was getting close to the end.

He just thought he’d be closer to the field on the way.

The Packers’ veteran wide receiver played just three snaps in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers, and said that was difficult to accept, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

“Played in this league a long time and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],” Driver said. “No one expects it to happen, but if it happens you deal with it. I’m dealing with it in a good way.”

With [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] emerging as more and more of a factor, and several other younger options in front of him, such days are something Driver might have to get used to.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]’ injury status could open the door for him this week, but the reality is he’s down the line of options.

“This is a team that has a lot of guys that can make plays,” quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] said. “It’s a long season, as we saw with last season, maybe Game 1, some people didn’t get as many balls as they wanted to. But you realize by the end of the season those guys are all going to be called on at different times to make plays.”

Driver’s handling the news professionally, and he’s likely to get more opportunities as the season grinds on.

“I’m going to continue to do what I do,” he said. “Practice well, hoping you get your opportunity to have snaps and play the game and be ready. And I’ll be ready when they call.”

But hearing him say it is just a little nudge, and certainly will be better received than other old guys texting coaches to tell them he’s open.

This whole Driver thing pisses me off to the next level... Should they continue to award him no snaps--they reflect that Driver was retained purely for PR reasons...and at the expense of a big, young and fast target like Gurley and the foresaken additional $1.75M Driver makes over him... It's a weak, gutless decision to keep the guy and just let him die on the vine...undoubtedly with the objective of forcing his retirement after the season--so any collateral PR fallout from having to release him just goes away... Poor decision by the B player all the way around... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the land of nutless sacks... Empty Re: Welcome to the land of nutless sacks...

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Try not to overreact. Driver will get his. Remember the stink in the press after Game 1 last season about AJ Hawk barely getting on the field? Turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Besides, should Jennings, Nelson, Jones or Cobb go down I'd rather see Driver step in this season than an upside project like Gurley.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the land of nutless sacks... Empty Re: Welcome to the land of nutless sacks...

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Try not to overreact. Driver will get his. Remember the stink in the press after Game 1 last season about AJ Hawk barely getting on the field? Turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Besides, should Jennings, Nelson, Jones or Cobb go down I'd rather see Driver step in this season than an upside project like Gurley.

Typically shortsighted, JnC... *Upside project* means nothing more than a highly potentialed prospect only needing opportunity to demonstrate the capability... Gurley could have had that opportunity this season--so next season he could be an established player building to his upside... Same progression as past versions of Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb...

As I've said before--neither Gurley nor Driver (in that depth position at WR) will/would have caught more than 25 balls this season anyway. Mindless to keep the big $$ guy in a bit role who offers no future -vs- the little $$ guy who offers nothing but future upside...and is on the way to realizing that upside with every additional snap he gets...

Finally--the fact that Driver wasn't even penciled in to the opening game playbook--and only entered the game on the last three snaps because of injury--reflects what value they predetermined Driver's contribution to be this season...

Regardless of whether you can see it or not--it's high cost opportunity lost, my friend... The very type of misguided systemic stupidity in foresaken opportunity that can eat you alive with regret... Gurley has all the measurables to create mismatches ala Calvin Johnson...and they just fucked him off to the Minnesota Vikings for somebody they were hoping wouldn't even need to make the field. Watch/weep when you witness who makes more impact for their respective teams in the future games with the queens, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Driver will get his pops. When the rest of the team is in a funk this guy comes to the forefront.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

milani wrote: Driver will get his pops. When the rest of the team is in a funk this guy comes to the forefront.

...if so--then if the rest of the team is in a funk, he won't matter then, either...

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm

HD you sure like to talk out of your ass. Exclamation

Gurley has all the measurables to be the next Calvin Johnson?! I'd think you were funny if I didn't know you actually believe this shit. Gurley was an undrafted project that the staff coached all season and all through camp.
And they cut him.

You need to back away from the Minneapolis sportswriters and radio guys who obviously have been pushing the idea that the Queens "got over" by landing the next Megatron. Fuck me, dude. This is getting SAD.

Now after the Favre debacle, it'd be foolish to think that Thompson didn't give some thought to how and when to deal with Driver, and those concerns may have some effect on how things stand today. But at the end of the day, this isn't that big a deal. Relax man.

LOL, Gurley... Sleep
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 pm

JnC4GB wrote:HD you sure like to talk out of your ass. Exclamation

Gurley has all the measurables to be the next Calvin Johnson?! I'd think you were funny if I didn't know you actually believe this shit. Gurley was an undrafted project that the staff coached all season and all through camp.
And they cut him.

You need to back away from the Minneapolis sportswriters and radio guys who obviously have been pushing the idea that the Queens "got over" by landing the next Megatron. Fuck me, dude. This is getting SAD.

Now after the Favre debacle, it'd be foolish to think that Thompson didn't give some thought to how and when to deal with Driver, and those concerns may have some effect on how things stand today. But at the end of the day, this isn't that big a deal. Relax man.

LOL, Gurley... Sleep

Very Happy Aren't you just precious--the way you so devoutedly bury your head in the sand as you so assbackwardly start at your desired conclusion and retreat for cover into the peace and tranquility of your familiar cavern shrouded in the darkness of your own personal idiocy... From politics...to the Packers defense last season on through to the very underpinnings of logic herself--you can be impassionately counted on to fight the good fight of your misguided beliefs until the last mighty door to Castle Enlightenment's keep is breached from the ramming of your steadfast ignorance... Knighted in beknightedness...enraptured in impertinence--no matter...your mighty sword is proudly drawn until the last doubt of your pronounced knucklefuckery draws its last breath... You are no less than...a legend to behold, my friend... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:08 am

Guys, guys. This is getting a bit ridiculous... like many of the debates you guys indulge in. Each one of you tends to interpret the other's remarks in a way as to magnify the differences and minimize the similarities, presumably so you can have fun slinging mud at each other.

Regarding Driver, I think a sensible take is somewhere between you two blockheads.

First of all, I agree with HD that the decision to keep Driver was misguided... and now, it seems, may very well be partly (or primarily) for PR purposes. Dumb.

However, JnC is right to point out that any sort of comparisons between Gurley and Megatron are a bit farfetched. Yes he possesses great "measurables" but so did Robert Ferguson and that was one of the reasons we mocked Sherman.

So, while I'm not sure Gurley is the answer, I really wish we hadn't signed Driver. The probable departure of Jennings factors into the equation too. If he goes, I'd much rather have a young guy who has been groomed with one year under his belt than an old guy like Driver who will surely be gone with Jennings in 2013.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 am

duck wrote:Guys, guys. This is getting a bit ridiculous... like many of the debates you guys indulge in. Each one of you tends to interpret the other's remarks in a way as to magnify the differences and minimize the similarities, presumably so you can have fun slinging mud at each other.

Regarding Driver, I think a sensible take is somewhere between you two blockheads.

First of all, I agree with HD that the decision to keep Driver was misguided... and now, it seems, may very well be partly (or primarily) for PR purposes. Dumb.

However, JnC is right to point out that any sort of comparisons between Gurley and Megatron are a bit farfetched. Yes he possesses great "measurables" but so did Robert Ferguson and that was one of the reasons we mocked Sherman.

Very Happy Hardly... If you'd care to re-read my comments, my comparison was limited to the mismatch opportunity related to the measurables shared by both Calvin Johnson and Gurley. Tell me--How are the similiarity of objective measures like height and weight, etc. farfetched comparisons, Duck?

So, while I'm not sure Gurley is the answer, I really wish we hadn't signed Driver. The probable departure of Jennings factors into the equation too. If he goes, I'd much rather have a young guy who has been groomed with one year under his belt than an old guy like Driver who will surely be gone with Jennings in 2013.

Of course. Anyone other than a bullethead can plainly see that, eh--but I'm on a masochistic mission to save JnC from himself... LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am

HD: Hardly... If you'd care to re-read my comments, my comparison was limited to the mismatch opportunity related to the measurables shared by both Calvin Johnson and Gurley. Tell me--How are the similiarity of objective measures like height and weight, etc. farfetched comparisons, Duck?

Oh, come on, HD. I know you couched your initial comparison with an escape clause suggesting that these measurables would merely create "match up" problems for other teams, but you know perfectly well the result of such a comparison is that the reader will think you believe Gurley has significantly more potential than a guy who was on the practice squad two years and just got cut.

There are lots of big stiffs around the league and you wouldn't say that about them.

Plus, you didn't acknowledge that you spent many posts making fun of Sherman for falling in love with Ferguson's "measurables."

But, let's not make a big deal about all this. The bottom line is that I ultimately agree with you about Driver. We shouldn't have resigned him... and if we did so for PR purposes, it makes it even worse.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:43 am

duck wrote: HD: Hardly... If you'd care to re-read my comments, my comparison was limited to the mismatch opportunity related to the measurables shared by both Calvin Johnson and Gurley. Tell me--How are the similiarity of objective measures like height and weight, etc. farfetched comparisons, Duck?

Oh, come on, HD. I know you couched your initial comparison with an escape clause suggesting that these measurables would merely create "match up" problems for other teams, but you know perfectly well the result of such a comparison is that the reader will think you believe Gurley has significantly more potential than a guy who was on the practice squad two years and just got cut.

What I stated is right there in blue/white, Duck... The comparison is completely valid and I stand by it. I have no control over what the reader *will think* beyond that, do I? Now--if you're asking me to go on the record with an assessment of Gurley's potential--I'd certainly be happy to. He has a significant amount of potential...there's really very little not to like there. He became injured early in camp and thus was hampered mostly throughout it which almost certainly contributed to his release...but had a fine performance in the last game--catching, I think, a 56 yd TD...among other balls... You, like JnC, draw the fact that he was released to suggest he's a *stiff* Wrong...and that's the whole point... He would have made that incredibly deep WR roster had it not been for the retention of Donald Driver... You're using what's called convoluted logic to support the decision to release him... Very Happy

There are lots of big stiffs around the league and you wouldn't say that about them.

Certainly not... So--what could be the possible reason I'd say that about Gurley, then? Remember, I like DD... How could you not? Wink

Plus, you didn't acknowledge that you spent many posts making fun of Sherman for falling in love with Ferguson's "measurables."

Not even close to the same scenario. To begin with, Fergusen was a bust from practically day one. I think I started to declare him a pretender from about the end of his rookie season... His words gave him away...and his performance followed as he was given greater opportunity to expose what a scrub he was. Beyond that, while yes--Fergusen looked good in the weight room, he wasn't even close to the height/weight comparison I was making with Gurley/Johnson. Fergusen created no size mismatch advantage whatsoever in fact. Sorry Duck--not a valid comparison to what I was saying at all, little buckaroo... Wink

But, let's not make a big deal about all this. The bottom line is that I ultimately agree with you about Driver. We shouldn't have resigned him... and if we did so for PR purposes, it makes it even worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 am

HD: What I stated is right there in blue/white, Duck... The comparison is completely valid and I stand by it. I have no control over what the reader *will think* beyond that, do I? Now--if you're asking me to go on the record with an assessment of Gurley's potential--I'd certainly be happy to. He has a significant amount of potential...there's really very little not to like there. He became injured early in camp and thus was hampered mostly throughout it which almost certainly contributed to his release...but had a fine performance in the last game--catching, I think, a 56 yd TD...among other balls... You, like JnC, draw the fact that he was released to suggest he's a *stiff* Wrong...and that's the whole point... He would have made that incredibly deep WR roster had it not been for the retention of Donald Driver... You're using what's called convoluted logic to support the decision to release him...

Well, let's just track Gurley's progress with the Vikings and that should answer all of our questions about him, won't it? I never suggested he was a stiff and, if you remember, I've always been a supporter of keeping him and/or the other young receivers over old man Donald. I'm not sure why he was released but I've got to think that the Packer coaches, who watch these guys in practice every day, must have some reason for unloading him.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

duck wrote:HD: What I stated is right there in blue/white, Duck... The comparison is completely valid and I stand by it. I have no control over what the reader *will think* beyond that, do I? Now--if you're asking me to go on the record with an assessment of Gurley's potential--I'd certainly be happy to. He has a significant amount of potential...there's really very little not to like there. He became injured early in camp and thus was hampered mostly throughout it which almost certainly contributed to his release...but had a fine performance in the last game--catching, I think, a 56 yd TD...among other balls... You, like JnC, draw the fact that he was released to suggest he's a *stiff* Wrong...and that's the whole point... He would have made that incredibly deep WR roster had it not been for the retention of Donald Driver... You're using what's called convoluted logic to support the decision to release him...

Well, let's just track Gurley's progress with the Vikings and that should answer all of our questions about him, won't it? I never suggested he was a stiff and, if you remember, I've always been a supporter of keeping him and/or the other young receivers over old man Donald. I'm not sure why he was released but I've got to think that the Packer coaches, who watch these guys in practice every day, must have some reason for unloading him.

Yes, they did... Their names are Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin and Driver. When the cupboards are full, oh dear--Granny has no more room for another can of coconut cream, does she Duck? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Greg Jennings is unlikely to play in tonight's already surprisingly critical game.

We run 4 & 5 reciever sets, what, 65 percent of the time? Can either of you with a straight face say you'd rather see practice-squad bust Gurley out there in a nationally television BEARS GAME tonight instead of Donald Driver?

Bottom line: THIS type of circumstance is ultimately why Driver was kept -not because he won Dancing with the fucking Stars.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:13 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Greg Jennings is unlikely to play in tonight's already surprisingly critical game.

We run 4 & 5 reciever sets, what, 65 percent of the time? Can either of you with a straight face say you'd rather see practice-squad bust Gurley out there in a nationally television BEARS GAME tonight instead of Donald Driver?

Bottom line: THIS type of circumstance is ultimately why Driver was kept -not because he won Dancing with the fucking Stars.

I keep trying to refocus you... You're trying yet again to pull into a vacuum a decision that has MUCH broader, big-picture implications...

Strictly to humor you--Isolated purely tonight--I'd call it a push as to whether I'd have a 6-4" 232 lb target like Gurley out there--or a much smaller, slower--yet more experienced and sure-handed target like Driver in the possession receiver role... They both bring their apparent advantages over the other...and neither can presently be considered to be anything approaching elite--so they'll each have their share of plays where it just won't make a difference which one of them is in there...

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:53 pm

decision to keep Driver was misguided.

Sherman would have kept him, too.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:05 pm

10:00pm CST

And. That's. Your. DAGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitches tongue
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down