Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the Steelers: Dwyer makes push for starting spot

Go down

On the Steelers: Dwyer makes push for starting spot Empty On the Steelers: Dwyer makes push for starting spot

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:18 pm

On the Steelers: Dwyer makes push for starting spot

Might start opener at RB after strong preseason showing
September 1, 2012 12:47

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One of the most surprising aspects of the 2010 draft occurred when the first 187 players were chosen and Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer was not among them.

He was big, had decent speed and produced. He ran for 1,395 yards in '08, another 1,395 yards in '09, and finished his three-year career as Georgia Tech's sixth-leading rusher and averaged 6.2 yards per carry.

Finally, Dwyer's name was called at No. 188, midway into the sixth round. The Steelers could not pass him up, despite rumblings that Dwyer might not be dedicated enough and that his weight could be an issue.

Dwyer backed up the weight-issue worries by reporting to his first training camp somewhat heavy and then showing up for his second camp last year looking like a marshmallow ready to be roasted. He made the team as a rookie, but did not pull on a uniform for a game in '10 until the finale in Cleveland. He lost a lot of weight -- he had a lot to lose -- in the '11 training camp but again did not dress for the first four regular-season games.

Then came the fifth game, and Dwyer showed what he might be able to do. He ripped off a 76-yard run against Tennessee and finished with 107 yards rushing. It was his only meaningful action -- he would have just five more carries and finish the season on injured reserve because of a foot injury.

Now, as the Steelers prepare to open their 80th season in eight days, Dwyer finds himself in position to help save the running game they so desperately want to improve. He tacked on another 63 yards rushing on 13 carries in the preseason finale Thursday night, giving him the team's preseason lead with 147 yards on 28 carries and a nice 5.3-yard average.

"He toted the load tonight," coach Mike Tomlin said after the game. "He was the primary ballcarrier, and that's kind of what we wanted to see. It's really a snapshot of his growth and development throughout this training camp and preseason. First things first, he showed up in good physical condition, that's a prerequisite. He kind of took off from there ... it needs to continue. He's capable of it continuing."

Dwyer is pushing Isaac Redman to start while Rashard Mendenhall mends over the next month. Redman, bothered by hip and ankle injuries this summer, did not play Thursday and compiled 38 yards rushing on 17 carries in preseason games.

It might not matter who starts because both will get plenty of use.

"Red could have played this week, they're just resting him as much as they can," Dwyer said. "I'm just here for whatever. I'll just be prepared to play next week and do my job."

That job has included something the Steelers are fast discovering, that Dwyer also can catch the ball. He caught only 15 passes in his three seasons at Georgia Tech, and one in the regular season with the Steelers. He caught four Saturday night in Buffalo, including a 33-yarder from Ben Roethlisberger on third down at the 3 that jump-started a 98-yard touchdown drive.

"I've really worked on it," Dwyer said of his receiving. "It's something they didn't think I could do when I first came out of college, and I'm just trying to make me an all-around player."

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down