Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'...

2 posters

Go down

Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'... Empty Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:51 pm

CANTON, Ohio -- Hall of Fame running back Earl Campbell is waiting for the next dominant running back to step up, but he's not holding his breath.

"I think it's because the way the game has changed, to where all of them just look like they're average backs because they pass the ball so much," Campbell told Around the League on Friday. "I don't think there's a runner in pro football you could say was like a Jim Brown."

Campbell, who ran for 9,407 yards in eight seasons with Houston Oilers and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], pointed to a dearth of backs who can wear down the clock in the final minutes of a game. He specifically talked about teams falling victim to quarterbacks like Peyton and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] because offenses can't seal games on the ground.

"You want a running back that can take that ball and just continually -- three, two yards -- keep it away from Eli," Campbell said. "It's all a quarterback game now."

Campbell doesn't blame today's runners. It's the pass-happy systems they exist in, something he didn't confront on the same scale. Campbell acknowledged he was happy to play at a time (from 1978 to 1985) when featured backs dominated the NFL. Today's runners tread a thornier road to Canton.

Back to top Go down

Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'... Empty Re: Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'...

Post by wyckedheart8 Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Yea, the RB's, mater of fact ALL of the players of the 50,60,70 are hands down better then the players of today, even with all the advancements, speed and so fourth of todays players dont match up to those players, those guys were brutes and didnt let a hangnail stop them from playing plus most of them played both ways and didnt run out of bounds when they were about to get nailed, the WR's had to really earn a catch and the QB's didnt whine and cry over a bump, I'll leave those teams of the 60's and back go, but there is not a team today that could have handled ANY team of the 70's, just like in boxing, there is no fighter of the 80's,.90's and so fourth that would have been able to stand up to the boxers of the 70's and early 80's especially the heavy weights, the nig boys of the 70's would have killed guys like Tyson, Holmes and so fourth, they couldnt have took on Ali, Foreman, Frasier,Young,Shavers,Norton, and I wont even get into Marciano or Joe Lewis.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'... Empty Re: Earl Campbell: Today's RBs 'look like they're average'...

Post by wyckedheart8 Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

The fighters of the 80's on up wouldnt have been able to last 3 rounds with them, and I am not just talking about the heavyweights, sugar ray Robinson, Lenard, Duran, Boom,Boom Mancini, the list goes on and on.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 pm

BTW, I am not talking about MMA, and so fourth, that is a entire different art.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Today's defenses are so fast, so big, and strong those old runningbacks wouldn't have gotten out of the back field. Boxing is boxing and has steadily gone down hill for years now.

Back to top Go down

Post by foghorn Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Dmounts wrote:Today's defenses are so fast, so big, and strong those old runningbacks wouldn't have gotten out of the back field. Boxing is boxing and has steadily gone down hill for years now.
Depends... what rules you gonna use... those of the 70's or those of now? I think it is all subjective at best. Yes, today's players are bigger, stronger and faster... but I strongly feel the guys from back in the day were a whole lot tuffer. Mel Blount would be penalized out of the league in his first game in today's rules. Turkey Jones would get a lifetime suspension for sticking Bradshaw's head in the turf.... under Todays rules. I don't think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would survive a season if they played back in the day. Just sayin...
foghorn
foghorn
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Those two guys wouldn't even be able to compete, they'd be over powered by today's players. Those guys had mass body fat and not much muscle and no speed. Terry Bradshaw wouldn't make an NFL roster today.

Back to top Go down

Post by foghorn Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Dmounts wrote:Those two guys wouldn't even be able to compete, they'd be over powered by today's players. Those guys had mass body fat and not much muscle and no speed. Terry Bradshaw wouldn't make an NFL roster today.
As I said.... It's subjective. Your opinion holds no more validity than mine or anyone else's. Seeing as it is impossible to put them on the field at the same time... it is just food for fodder. Maybe you should also see that I used two examples that would be punished for playing ball under TODAY'S rules. It was not about better. I still stand behind the fact that Those guys were tuffer... period. They HAD to be. Rules for contact were FAR easier than today. However, I did say today's players are bigger, stronger and faster. Would that NOT equate to them being more productive in playing football?
foghorn
foghorn
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down