Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LeShoure Suspension

2 posters

Go down

LeShoure Suspension Empty LeShoure Suspension

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 am

Awhile back I posted that I thought Fairley would get a 2 game suspension, I still think that, and am more convinced than before since Leshoure just received his notice of suspension for 2 games plus an additional 4 games lost salary. I gues you'd call that the old 2x4, Laughing. Now, LeShoure can appeal that and maybe get one game paycheck back, I doubt he'll get the =2 games reduced. Of course he pleaded extenuating circumstances "A dope doin' dope" Rolling Eyes I would expect Fairley to get a similar slap on the pocketbook. I hope they can both stay clean for the couple weeks. If they can they'll have a chance to redeem themselves

Back to top Go down

LeShoure Suspension Empty Wondering how this might effect the Lions

Post by meiden Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am

I'm not sure the Leshoure suspension should hurt the Lions too much. They darn well better be able to beat the Rams at home with Smith and Best at RB. If they can't win that game even w/o Leshoure and even Fairley then Mayhew and Schwartz are even worse off than I give them credit.

Nor do I think the loss of Leshoure should significantly impact the SF game. The Niners interior run defense is extremely stout to begin with so taking away a weapon that probably wouldn't do too much shouldn't be a significant impact. To beat the Niners the Lions need to utilize their backs out wide either through runs outside the tackles or short passes to the RBs. While Leshoure may prove to be good in these situations, Best and Smith are best in these situations. I'm not saying the Lions will win nor am I saying that Leshoure wouldn't help. I'm just saying that given the matchup, I'm not sure his absence hurts the Lions all that much. Let Stafford and hopefully the defense, win this game.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

LeShoure Suspension Empty Re: LeShoure Suspension

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Both of the first two games can be won by Detroit if the DL can control the line of scrimmage containing the run. Both StL and SF have excellent running backs, and the Lions need to stop them. I'd bet there will be considerably more game planning for the SF game than for StL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Both of the first two games can be won by Detroit if the DL can control the line of scrimmage containing the run. Both StL and SF have excellent running backs, and the Lions need to stop them. I'd bet there will be considerably more game planning for the SF game than for StL.

I agree McB and that's why I hope Fairley fights his cases and gets the suspension delayed
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:04 am

Dawildboar wrote:Both of the first two games can be won by Detroit if the DL can control the line of scrimmage containing the run. Both StL and SF have excellent running backs, and the Lions need to stop them. I'd bet there will be considerably more game planning for the SF game than for StL.

I agree McB and that's why I hope Fairley fights his cases and gets the suspension delayed

I just read somewhere that the appeal for a drug suspension is handled prior to the "sentancing". Not sure if that is true but if it is, whatever Fairley gets for suspension may be final. Count on him being out for the SF game and hoping that Hill steps up and Suh decides he is going to be a major run stopping force this year.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:06 am

they should club the rams and they have a great chance to beat the 49 ers based on their defensive play. they had the lead near the end of the game and the secondary gave up the TD with time running out.

san fran is a great early test for the leos.

revenge of the schwartz!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 am

RLMcB wrote: Awhile back I posted that I thought Fairley would get a 2 game suspension, I still think that, and am more convinced than before since Leshoure just received his notice of suspension for 2 games plus an additional 4 games lost salary. I gues you'd call that the old 2x4, Laughing. Now, LeShoure can appeal that and maybe get one game paycheck back, I doubt he'll get the =2 games reduced. Of course he pleaded extenuating circumstances "A dope doin' dope" Rolling Eyes I would expect Fairley to get a similar slap on the pocketbook. I hope they can both stay clean for the couple weeks. If they can they'll have a chance to redeem themselves

What I want to know, is what is the Lion's organization going to do with these guys, to show that there is a price to pay for chronic stupididty. Thus far the message being sent is "It's really ok with us boys. We will say we care but we really don't. The the league is going to take action" not us. Like I said, this Lion's organization will do nothing to these guys and in the long run it's going to hurt the team. It already has in terms of negative press, suspension time and will continue all the way through the legal battles. All I can do is chuckle at these bone heads and the Lion's organization. The bar just keeps going lower and lower, kinda like "BJ's in the oral office". What's next, "medicinal pot" before games supplied by the team doctor ? A more mellow Schwartz....... lol......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am

snook, i think that the lions are really somewhat limited in what they can now. they seemed to have learned their lesson and drafted better character players this time around.

the most effective treatment is for the veteran players to step up and lay down the rules. i also would not tolerate a low round draft pick hanging around such as culbreath. that guy the lions can simply cut, which they should do. you do not want to risk another pot head hanging out when he is such a marginal player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm

bongoman wrote:snook, i think that the lions are really somewhat limited in what they can now. they seemed to have learned their lesson and drafted better character players this time around.

the most effective treatment is for the veteran players to step up and lay down the rules. i also would not tolerate a low round draft pick hanging around such as culbreath. that guy the lions can simply cut, which they should do. you do not want to risk another pot head hanging out when he is such a marginal player.

So draft status dictates the message that is sent or not sent. If the player has a high enough draft status the rules bend. Ok........... got it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm

by george . . . . yes, i do believe you've got it. players are on different levels naturally. if the bad apple is a turd of a player, pitch him. it is not worth the risk of keeping that player around.

if he's a high pick (multiple meanings apply) then yes give him a chance and hope to turn him around. short leash naturally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 pm

I just read somewhere that the appeal for a drug suspension is handled prior to the "sentancing". Not sure if that is true but if it is, whatever Fairley gets for suspension may be final. Count on him being out for the SF game and hoping that Hill steps up and Suh decides he is going to be a major run stopping force this year.

Mi, the penalty can be handed down after the player is found guilty of an offense. It can happen before the sentencing for the crime but not until they are found guilty.
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Fairley could delay any suspension as I stated in a previous post by delaying any legal court action similar to what the Williams boys did in Minn, he might even be able to get one charge dismissed, however it would certainlt cost him tons of scratch. BTW, Snooker and anyone else, including me that thought the Lions ought to hammer these calcitrant POS, the Lions can do nothing, being restricted by the NLPA. It is entirely up to the NFL, Teams can't even cut a player for that reason. maybe they could use some excuse to cut a Culbreath, but it wouldn't wash with the players union to cut a 1sr round pick his second year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 am

RLMcB wrote:Fairley could delay any suspension as I stated in a previous post by delaying any legal court action similar to what the Williams boys did in Minn, he might even be able to get one charge dismissed, however it would certainlt cost him tons of scratch. BTW, Snooker and anyone else, including me that thought the Lions ought to hammer these calcitrant POS, the Lions can do nothing, being restricted by the NLPA. It is entirely up to the NFL, Teams can't even cut a player for that reason. maybe they could use some excuse to cut a Culbreath, but it wouldn't wash with the players union to cut a 1sr round pick his second year.

McB......... I see nothing in the NFL 2011-20 Collective Bargaining Agreement that says a team cannot cut or trade a player for any reason it sees fit. If you can find it I would like to see it. Cutting or trading a player may cost the team some money, but that would be the team's decision not the league or the players union. The player's Union may have some input and negotiate on a players behalf concerning compensation but that's it. In regard to the NLPA, exactly what restrictions are you refering to?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I suppose they can trade him, but, according to the CBA they cannot use that as a criteria to cut them. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] See the specific section and paragraphs, ARTICLE 42 CLUB DISCIPLINE Section 6.NFL Drug and Steroid Policies: No Club may impose any discipline against a player, including but not limited to terminating the player’s Player Contract, as a result of that Player’s violation of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Sub-stances or the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, or for failing any drug test, provided, however, that the fact that a player has violated the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, or has failed a drug test will not preclude the termination of his Player Contract if such termination is otherwise expressly permissible under this Agreement or the player’s Player Contract.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Snooker, I hope you're happy, I shot my whole damn morning reading the NFLPA CBA contract just to prove to you I was right. Why didn't you research it and post the specific Article, Section and Paragraph that allowed the Teams to do what I said they couldn't? The ball is in your court, go ahead and prove the Lions can cut Fairley or LeShoure for violating the drug policy. BTW, Trades are not an option, because their bonuses would accelerate and put the Lions well over the cap, necessitating their cutting some other players

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am

RLMcB wrote: I suppose they can trade him, but, according to the CBA they cannot use that as a criteria to cut them. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] See the specific section and paragraphs, ARTICLE 42 CLUB DISCIPLINE Section 6.NFL Drug and Steroid Policies: No Club may impose any discipline against a player, including but not limited to terminating the player’s Player Contract, as a result of that Player’s violation of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Sub-stances or the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, or for failing any drug test, provided, however, that the fact that a player has violated the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, or has failed a drug test will not preclude the termination of his Player Contract if such termination is otherwise expressly permissible under this Agreement or the player’s Player Contract.

McB.. I'm no lawyer but there seems to be a big "If" in that last sentence and I'm not sure how Fairley's and Leshoure's player contracts are written. Also, Trading them is positively an option. You may not like it but it is an option. I said in an earlier post that the Lions would take a hit money wise. Another thing, Article 42 does not address arrest's and convictions. It seems to be addressing NFL random drug testing. Any lawyers out there? We need Empirius back in the fold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:18 am

Snooker, I hope you're happy, I shot my whole damn morning reading the NFLPA CBA contract just to prove to you I was right.

well..... at least you tried !

Why didn't you research it and post the specific Article, Section and Paragraph that allowed the Teams to do what I said they couldn't?

That would be like me having to find a law that says it's ok for me to drive a VW down the street. We all know it is ok unless it's expressly written that it's not. In other words, unless there is a rule against it, it's assumed to be not breaking any rule. By the way you are the one who said they could not be cut. The burden is on you not me.

The ball is in your court, go ahead and prove the Lions can cut Fairley or LeShoure for violating the drug policy.

Unless it's written that they can't be cut, they can. See above post on article 42

BTW, Trades are not an option, because their bonuses would accelerate and put the Lions well over the cap, necessitating their cutting some other players

It is an option, and I said that in a previous post. You may not like it but it is. By the way I did spend a couple hours looking over the players agreement, so don't feel too abused...... LOL

In a June 1st article written at M-Live [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
the following was said, "One NFL executive has an idea how the Lions can help stem any future problems: Cut someone. "You start making exceptions, and it's the old Ron Wolf theory, all of the sudden, you've got a team full of exceptions," an AFC personnel executive told NFL.com's Albert Breer. [[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]"
This statement also leads me to believe that they can be cut.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:45 am

See above on article 42. " No Club may impose any
discipline against a player, including but not limited to terminating
the player’s Player Contract, as a result of that Player’s violation of
the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Sub-stances or the NFL
Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse,'
Snooker, read that paragraph again, it clearly states the club cannot discipline or even cut a player for violating the league drug policy. Part and parcel of that policy is to be convicted of substance use/abuse. That include alcohol. BTW, they can't even willy nilly cut a player, there are certain restrictions about that in section 5. Here. If they were to cut Fairley, he no doubt would file a grievance and it would come before an arbitrator or special Master. the club's opinion, it seems would have to be on pretty solid ground to cut a first round pick that is touted as high as Fairley or LeShoure
Section

. (d) In addition to any rights a Club may presently have under the NFL
Player Contract, any Player Contract may be terminated if, in the
Club’s opinion, the player being terminated is anticipated to make less
of a contribution to the Club’s ability to compete on the playing field
than another player or players whom the Club intends to sign or attempt
to sign, or another player or players who is or are already on the
roster of such Club, and for whom the Club needs Room. This Subsection
shall not affect any Club or Club Affiliate’s obligation to pay a player
any guaranteed consideration

Section

(e) Drug or Steroid Policy Violations. Player Contracts may not contain
individually negotiated provisions for forfeiture relating to
violations of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or
the NFL Policy and Program on Sub-stances of Abuse, or for failing any
drug test. A player suspended by the League pursuant to either of those
policies for a period encompassing regular season or postseason games
shall be required to forfeit any Forfeitable Salary Allocations on a
proportionate weekly basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:35 pm

If they were to cut Fairley, he no doubt would file a grievance and it would come before an arbitrator or special Master. the club's opinion, it seems would have to be on pretty solid ground to cut a first round pick that is touted as high as Fairley or LeShoure

Really? Neither of them have contributed an ounce to this team. That alone is enough to terminate them according to section 5. (d) Any good attourney could make that case. Drugs and DUI wouldn't even have to enter into the equation.

Fear not my friend, The Lions will not cut either one of them, not because they can't, but because they won't. I said this about 7 posts ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Beings how you know that. How about letting us in on the final 53 on the roster, and what's the next Maga millions #? The Lions will not cut either one of them, not because they can't, but because they won't. I said this about 7 posts ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:50 am

Fear not my friend, The Lions will not cut either one of them, not because they can't, but because they won't. I said this about 7 posts ago.

Snooker

Let's not forget "and they shouldn't"
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 pm

bongoman wrote:snook, i think that the lions are really somewhat limited in what they can now. they seemed to have learned their lesson and drafted better character players this time around.

I don't agree with the Culbreath quote. We don't know how good Leshoure will be at all so how do we know if one is a marginal player and the other not? Regardless, I don't think talent should dictate policy. I believe that the NFL has a policy and program and that the players are entered into the program. All three have cost their teammates and team with their actions. For that matter Culbreath cost the team MUCH less than Fairley or Leshoure since he wasn't in line to start but again...that is another argument.

All three had their screwup moment. Should it happen again, I join Snooker and call for their release. Until then, I say they go through the program, take their punishment like men (Fairley needs to be suspended for at least 2 games and lose 4 paychecks) and then keep their noses clean. So far it looks like all three are on best behavior but often when things start going well, complacency sets in and old habits show themselves. The leash should be shortened...just not tightened to the point of being a tourniquet.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 pm

RLMcB wrote:Beings how you know that. How about letting us in on the final 53 on the roster, and what's the next Maga millions #? The Lions will not cut either one of them, not because they can't, but because they won't. I said this about 7 posts ago.

Hard to predict the final 53 before the Lions have been able to play the waiver game.Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:32 pm

All three had their screwup moment. Should it happen again, I join Snooker and call for their release. Until then, I say they go through the program, take their punishment like men (Fairley needs to be suspended for at least 2 games and lose 4 paychecks) and then keep their noses clean.

Mi........ my biggest concern is when they go home for two weeks or more during their suspension, and start hanging with the gangsters again. Anyone who would eat pot in front of an arresting cop is capable of anything! These guys are just plain stupid!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am

the NFLPA proves cover to both the player and the organization. as for the coming season and in particular the san fran game. the lions need to to do a better job of moving suh around. other teams double and triple team him and run plays right at him.

they need jim layland, the master tinkerer. he would have suh catching one day, playing 1st the next, and have in CF the following day. not good for baseball but very good for football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down