Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bart Excitement

3 posters

Go down

Bart Excitement Empty Bart Excitement

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 pm

On the eve of the greatest evening in the history of Lambeau Field ........... I found this photo on the internet ........... Bart getting ready to throw a block on the famous Packers Sweep.

GO PACK GO !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Bart Excitement Empty Re: Bart Excitement

Post by milani Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Ringo is in there somewhere.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NJPackfan2 Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:22 am

When was the last time this play was used ?
NJPackfan2
NJPackfan2

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:03 am

NJPackfan2 wrote:When was the last time this play was used ?

Great question!

I know it was used in 1968. Bengston left after the 1970 season. In 69 and 70 our offensive line became feeble. Devine used it in 1972 on occasion. But with Mac Lane and Brockington they were better suited to run right at defenses and they did it very well. Defenses in the league had much faster LBs and DEs which made this play become obsolete. Today teams will run a mini version of this with a pitchout and the back will turn inside if the pursuit goes outside. The offensive line does not pull as far and wide any longer. If they did even a back like Walter Payton would get demolished. The Raiders did a lot of damage with this play well into the 70s. But they had several All-Pros on their offense to make that work and with their deep threat of Cliff Branch and Biletnikoff teams could not just stuff the box.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:04 am

milani wrote:Ringo is in there somewhere.
Ringo likely in there 'cuz if you look close you will notice that the numbers on jersey's in the Starr sweep photo have that extra rectangle...........the extra rectangle was only there during the early Lombardi years when Ringo was the center.  

For example, if you look at the Ice Bowl photo ....... there is no rectangle on Kramer's jersey (the number '6').

RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 am

Here is the 1963 Packers team photo with Ringo #51.   Note all of the rectangles!  (2, 3, 6, 9).  GO PACK GO!!

Looks like Lionel Aldridge once wore #62, 'cuz the venerable Jan Barrett wore #82 that year.

RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:26 am

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
milani wrote:Ringo is in there somewhere.
Ringo likely in there 'cuz if you look close you will notice that the numbers on jersey's in the Starr sweep photo have that extra rectangle...........the extra rectangle was only there during the early Lombardi years when Ringo was the center.  

For example, if you look at the Ice Bowl photo ....... there is no rectangle on Kramer's jersey (the number '6').

Great observation! Nothing like watching the Packer offense just run the football in 1960-1963. I could watch a hundred straight handoffs and never get tired. Just like a machine.  Pound! Pound! Pound!
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Now we wonder........will Eddie spin.........will Eddie slip........will Eddie pound.........will Eddie be benched..........Eddie Eddie Eddie.   Don't get me wrong ........ I love Eddie Lacy ......... the motivated Eddie Lacy giving his all like Jimmy Taylor did.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Perhaps the ultimate Packers trivia question:   Who wore Travis Williams' #23 just before and just after Travis's tenure in Titletown?
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NJPackfan2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Jim Ringo.......Born in Orange, New Jersey.   Grew up in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
NJPackfan2
NJPackfan2

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:44 pm

NJPackfan2 wrote:Jim Ringo.......Born in Orange, New Jersey.   Grew up in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
  Jim Ringo wore #51 for the Packers .......... and yes I have his autograph.  GO PACK GO!!
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 am

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Perhaps the ultimate Packers trivia question:   Who wore Travis Williams' #23 just before and just after Travis's tenure in Titletown?

I know the late Lamar McHan wore it in 1960 and then changed it. Hapless Jerry Tagge wore it in the 70's for a while. How the bleep did we ever draft him? Not Lombardi.....Had to be Ding Dong Devine.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NJPackfan2 Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:52 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Perhaps the ultimate Packers trivia question:   Who wore Travis Williams' #23 just before and just after Travis's tenure in Titletown?

Jerry Norton......Before

Bob Hudson.......After
NJPackfan2
NJPackfan2

Back to top Go down

Post by NJPackfan2 Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Name the players who wore # 5 after Paul Hornung.
NJPackfan2
NJPackfan2

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:11 pm

NJPackfan2 wrote:Name the players who wore # 5 after Paul Hornung.

Vince Ferragamo was one.  I guess Jerry Norton is still alive. Get's together with some old timers once in a while.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NJPackfan2 Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:45 am

Vince Feragamo wore # 5 for three games in 1986.

Don Majkowski .......seven games in 1987.  Gave it up and wore #7.

Willie Gillus........one game in 1987.

Curtis Burrow.....one game in 1988.

Clearly past and present management has been reluctant to issue jersey #5.  Why not just retire it !   Honor Paul Hornung while he is still alive.

Strange that equal consideration was not given Jim Taylor who I believe was as equal and maybe a better player than Hornung.
NJPackfan2
NJPackfan2

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 pm

NJPackfan2 wrote:Vince Feragamo wore # 5 for three games in 1986.

Clearly past and present management has been reluctant to issue jersey #5.  Why not just retire it !   Honor Paul Hornung while he is still alive.

Strange that equal consideration was not given Jim Taylor who I believe was as equal and maybe a better player than Hornung.

You are right about Taylor. What he did in the 1962 championship game cannot be matched. Who could survive that punishment? Blocking and breaking tackles was what he was all about. Hornung got the glamour because of how he played inside the 10 yard line during his career. He also did a lot on special teams as well as throw the option pass. His place kicking was adequate before his 1962 injuries and eventual suspension. But in 1964 his place kicking cost the Packers at least 4 games which goes unnoticed. How do you shank two 10 yard extra points? Lombardi realized he had made a mistake by letting him kick but Jerry Kramer missed most of that season and could not kick. Other than Pete Gogolak in Buffalo there were no sure fire soccer style placekickers in pro football yet. Lombardi made sure he acquired Don Chandler the next 3 years and the results were a lot better.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Both Hornung and Taylor should have their numbers retired.   Willie Wood too !!   I am pretty sure that Willie Wood was elected to more Pro Bowls as a Packer than any other Packer ever (8 I believe).   Jim Ringo was elected to 7 Pro Bowls as a Packer.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:48 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Both Hornung and Taylor should have their numbers retired.   Willie Wood too !!   I am pretty sure that Willie Wood was elected to more Pro Bowls as a Packer than any other Packer ever (8 I believe).   Jim Ringo was elected to 7 Pro Bowls as a Packer.

Nothing like having a Pro Bowl Safety and a Pro Bowl Center. How many have we had since they departed?
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:39 am

milani wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Nothing like having a Pro Bowl Safety and a Pro Bowl Center. How many have we had since they departed?

No Pro Bowl centers that I can recall...........but then again Frank Winters made it there at least once (see photo from the great 1996 season).  Pro Bowl Safeties .............. Nick Collins and Leroy Butler.   Before Leroy Butler...........good question..............Willie Wood I guess (Chuck Cecil in 1992 with Sharpe and Favre .........Darren Sharper twice as well ............. ).   Mike Flanagan made the Pro Bowl as a center one year (2003).  Our other centers Bowman, McCarren, Cannon, Campen never made Pro Bowls........maybe Tretter or Linsley can emerge.    
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down