Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired. He's not alone.

2 posters

Go down

Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired.  He's not alone. Empty Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired. He's not alone.

Post by guppy Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:21 pm

With every day that goes by, the NFL looks worse and worse. 

What a mess Goodell created.  All in an effort to save face for himself for royally screwing up other cases. 

Goodell has managed to achieve the impossible.  The Patriots and Tom Brady are not only world champions; they are now victims too.

Mind boggling.  Absolutely mind boggling. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While we're at it,
Another opinion:
Andy Benoit, Sports Illustrated writer for MMQB:

"I think the more I read about Deflategate, the less faith I have in the NFL. I’m not saying Tom Brady and the Patriots are totally innocent, but no sensible person would describe the league’s proof as being anything close to “beyond a reasonable doubt.” And just because the CBA doesn’t say it has to be doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be. I’m not big on calling for someone’s firing, but Roger Goodell went after the sport’s grandest star (maybe ever) and this decade’s most accomplished franchise. In doing so, he created a gargantuan distraction for both during Super Bowl week. Then he allowed the misinformation from that distraction to percolate for many months, damaging the brand of all parties involved (including, indirectly, the league’s). This is the antithesis of “protecting The Shield.” Barring a turn of events in this Deflategate saga—and with the way things have gone, there very well could be another turn of events—Goodell should lose his job."
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired.  He's not alone. Empty Re: Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired. He's not alone.

Post by George1963 Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:44 pm

"I think the more I read about Deflategate, the less faith I have in the NFL. I’m not saying Tom Brady and the Patriots are totally innocent, but no sensible person would describe the league’s proof as being anything close to “beyond a reasonable doubt.”

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE.
Jesus!

And just because the CBA doesn’t say it has to be doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be.

Oh good God. Well newly strong union man Tom Brady might take that up in the next CBA. Or he could have taken it up in the last one if he gave a fuck. But he didn't. So here we are.

I’m not big on calling for someone’s firing, but Roger Goodell went after the sport’s grandest star (maybe ever) and this decade’s most accomplished franchise. In doing so, he created a gargantuan distraction for both during Super Bowl week.

The distraction wasn't created by the league looking into the Patriots cheating. It was created by the Patriots cheating.
Jesus!

” Barring a turn of events in this Deflategate saga—and with the way things have gone, there very well could be another turn of events—Goodell should lose his job."

Yea. The most powerful owner in the league has publicly backed him so good luck with that.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired.  He's not alone. Empty Re: Tiki Barber says Goodell should be fired. He's not alone.

Post by guppy Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:10 am

George1963 wrote:
The distraction wasn't created by the league looking into the Patriots cheating. It was created by the Patriots cheating.

Except for the mildly important fact that they didn't. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:11 am

Tiki Barber, who was as outspoken as he was effective during his 10-year NFL career with the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], continues to speak his mind as a radio host. And Friday, during his CBS Sports Radio show, he didn't mince words about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his handling of the Deflategate silliness.
"Forget what he's been punishing," [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. "This has nothing to do with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It does, but it doesn't. I want to put that aside for a second because whether you think he's guilty [or not], it almost doesn't matter. What happened in this case was Roger Goodell hired Ted Wells to do a report. Now we subsequently found out that NFL lawyers were working with Ted Wells to compile this report, even though it was supposed to be independent. ...
"When Ray Rice had this altercation with his girlfriend in the elevator, the story then was that Roger Goodell was saying 'I didn't ever see the video. I had no idea that this actually happened.' Now, because of what just came out with this Tom Brady thing and Deflategate, it now [makes me] question whether Roger Goodell was lying to save his ass then, too."
So yeah. Barber, who said he once supported Goodell, leaves little room for interpretation.
"And so, for a long time, I wanted to be behind Roger Goodell," Barber continued. "I wanted to say, 'I understand this is a no-win situation and you're not used to handling these things.' But I feel like he's lying and compromising himself. And I wonder if this is worth his job. He has probably compromised his job. You can't go lie and undermine a player and an owner and then think the other owners won't say 'Hey dude, we can't trust you anymore. You got to be gone.'"
Barber went on to make the argument most critics of Goodell's punishment policy point to: It's seemingly arbitrary, which makes it all the more undecipherable.
"There is a rule of law," Barber explained. "That's why we live here. The rule of law matters. Process matters -- and you can't just change the process and think nobody's going to find out. It's almost like he's got a dictatorship going on. What I say is rule, and I'm going to make it up as I go along and you cannot protest -- and if you do protest, it's going to be harder on you. That's what this feels like and it's not OK with me. I know some people will sit back and say, 'Yeah, but it's a private enterprise, they make billions of dollars, they can do whatever they want.' Tom Brady has rights. The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] have rights. And you can't just stomp on them because you have an agenda you may not be telling anybody about."
Barber's comments come a day after noted Brady adversary Antonio Cromartie [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], going so far as to say that Goodell is "going to make his own rules as he goes."
Of course, the players aren't without blame; before the 2011 season, they agreed to the CBA that allowed Goodell to continue to wield this power.
Ultimately, Barber thinks Goodell should be fired.
"All this stuff is coming out now -- it looks ugly for Roger Goodell. I don't trust him as the commissioner of the National Football League anymore. So to answer your question, yeah, I'd fire him."
But here's the thing: Goodell doesn't work for the players, he works for the owners, and he has helped make them a lot of money. And unless that changes, it's reasonable to think that he'll remain right where he is.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:17 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

Except for the mildly important fact that they didn't. 

Why'd they shitcan Frick and Frack?

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down