Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers

5 posters

Go down

Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers Empty Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers

Post by ffaralli Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Real good interview.

On the D, Butler says that TT has been drafting D guys out of position. Perry, Neal, D. Jones, Raji.

Says its not fair to blame Capers since these guys are playing out of position each week.

They are thinking and not reacting.....its not second nature to them.

Capers scheme is good, but team does not have the right players for it. Points to fact MM/DC tried to make Aaron Kampman a LB. Mentions all the college DEs TT drafts and expects to make them all linebackers. Doesn't work.

Players are not always interchangeable. 

Team has to get better safeties...forget about 4-3, team is ill-suited for that.

Jolly and Lacy made the team more physical this year.

He says the O-line is in good shape. That if MM continues to use Lacy like he did this year, he has a 5 year career.

Says MM doesn't know how to use Lacy.....he needs to keep him fresh to run out the clock in the 4th Qtr. 

See link below.

FF

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers Empty Re: Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers

Post by milani Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Brilliant, Leroy. Maybe you should be our next coach. He's right about wrong players in wrong position. When he says O-line is in good shape he must be referring to Bulaga being there and Sherrod becoming an NFL instead of a VA resident.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers Empty Re: Leroy Butler interview on 2013 Packers

Post by duck Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 pm

ffaralli wrote:Real good interview.

On the D, Butler says that TT has been drafting D guys out of position. Perry, Neal, D. Jones, Raji.

Says its not fair to blame Capers since these guys are playing out of position each week.

They are thinking and not reacting.....its not second nature to them.

Capers scheme is good, but team does not have the right players for it. Points to fact MM/DC tried to make Aaron Kampman a LB. Mentions all the college DEs TT drafts and expects to make them all linebackers. Doesn't work.

Players are not always interchangeable. 

Team has to get better safeties...forget about 4-3, team is ill-suited for that.

Jolly and Lacy made the team more physical this year.

He says the O-line is in good shape. That if MM continues to use Lacy like he did this year, he has a 5 year career.

Says MM doesn't know how to use Lacy.....he needs to keep him fresh to run out the clock in the 4th Qtr. 

See link below.

FF

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks Faralli... that was an excellent interview and your summary was spot on. I've always found Butler to be refreshing.

Really good point so many defensive players not playing their normal positions. I hope, like he said, that things might click for them eventually. Still, I wonder why the Packers do that so often. Sounds like TT may just be too clever for his own good.

Obviously Butler sees that safety is the biggest concern for the Packer defense.

Since the end of the season Butler joins the ranks of some other experts who feel that Capers is doing the best he can. It's hard for me to ignore repetitive failure but maybe the old toupee deserves another shot in 2014. It will be interesting to see what the Packers do. As Greene's stepping down suggests, something might be in the works now.

I also noted that Butler is optimistic about the Packers chances next year. It must be difficult for the guys at the bar to hear a straight shooter like Butler say that.  Very Happy 
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 pm

milani wrote:Brilliant, Leroy. Maybe you should be our next coach. He's right about wrong players in wrong position. When he says O-line is in good shape he must be referring to Bulaga being there and Sherrod becoming an NFL instead of a VA resident.

Well Milani, let's just say I don't think Butler shares your opinion that our offensive line is "bottom five" or "dogshit" as your buddy HD claims.

Last edited by duck on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:Brilliant, Leroy. Maybe you should be our next coach. He's right about wrong players in wrong position. When he says O-line is in good shape he must be referring to Bulaga being there and Sherrod becoming an NFL instead of a VA resident.

Well Milani, let's just say I don't think Butler shares your opinion that our offensive line is "bottom five" or "dogshit as your buddy HD claims.

Maybe if he was playing against them he'd change his mind.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:

Well Milani, let's just say I don't think Butler shares your opinion that our offensive line is "bottom five" or "dogshit as your buddy HD claims.

Maybe if he was playing against them he'd change his mind.

All he has to do is come to this bar, er, board and he can learn all sorts of amazing things!
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 am

Butler was including Bulaga and Sherrod in his assessment of the O-line....he says with them coming back, we'll have a lot of good players available.

Maybe we can create another Jumbo package and use Bahktiari as the Jumbo he felt.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:12 am

I love Leroy Butler. One of my all-time favorite Packers. Played the game right, and he seems like a swell guy too.

Sadly, he also is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Take his analysis with a grain of salt.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 am

Sadly, he also is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Take his analysis with a grain of salt.

Compared to what JNC, those two assholes we have back there now?

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am

ffaralli wrote:Sadly, he also is not the sharpest tool in the shed. Take his analysis with a grain of salt.

Compared to what JNC, those two assholes we have back there now?

I assume you are referring to our starting Safeties? If so, those two guys weren't offering up detailed analysis of what needs to be done to "fix" the team like LeRoy. Soooo, not really getting what you're trying to say... scratch
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 am

I would like to discuss the whole offensive line (including tight end). Overall you have to say the Packers running game was "good enough" with both Starks and Lacy running the ball exceptionally well in 2013. So you have to give the line at least an overall B+ grade for their work running the ball. In fact overall the Packers were ranked 7th in the league averaging 133 yards/game. Definitely "good enough". By the way, San Fran and Seattle were ranked #3 and #4. So yes there must be a relationship between rushing yardage and winning. But we all know there are other factors including defense, turnovers/turnover ratio, and special teams. The other factor is simply the quality of the offensive and defensive play calling. Putting a wide receiver in the backfield on the 9 yard line is just one example (so much for the RBs who averaged 133 yard/game being able to excel while standing on the sidelines keeping warm next to the heaters).

Now as I am sure those who are reading this........are possibly cringing (and Duck may be either drooling or doing backflips). I am more interested in QB hurries and QB sacks. This is what I found on the internet........ The Packers ranked #6 in passing yardage !!! Sixth !!! Wow.........6th in passing and 7th in rushing......not too shabby. OK so what do the other stats say?

The Packers were sacked 45 times (not quite as bad as the 51 sack the previous year.......but sheeeeeeesh man sheeeeeeeeesh). Denver's QB was sacked only 20 times. Detroit only 23. The worst was Jacksonville at 50. Packers QB's threw only 16 INTs......but Seattle only threw 9 and San Fran only threw 8 (I think the INT stat has some "QB Hurries" embedded in their somewhere). 

OK........heck YES we need one or more new offensive linemen. Would also help to get a better TE. Losing Finley was bigger than we though, particularly in light of losing Cobb. At least we got to see Boykin mature. 

McCarthy says stats are for losers......... 

GO PACK GO........THE PACK SHALL BE BACK !!    CATSY SHALL BE BACK TOO !! (where is that chick anyway?).
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:02 am

Butler isn't bright enough to understand what should and should not be said in various situations to serve his own best interests...and the best interests of his constituencies.  He has wanted a coaching job with the Pack--BAD--for years...and there's a reason he doesn't get one.  His filter is a fish net.

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:I would like to discuss the whole offensive line (including tight end). Overall you have to say the Packers running game was "good enough" with both Starks and Lacy running the ball exceptionally well in 2013. So you have to give the line at least an overall B+ grade for their work running the ball. In fact overall the Packers were ranked 7th in the league averaging 133 yards/game. Definitely "good enough". By the way, San Fran and Seattle were ranked #3 and #4. So yes there must be a relationship between rushing yardage and winning. But we all know there are other factors including defense, turnovers/turnover ratio, and special teams. The other factor is simply the quality of the offensive and defensive play calling. Putting a wide receiver in the backfield on the 9 yard line is just one example (so much for the RBs who averaged 133 yard/game being able to excel while standing on the sidelines keeping warm next to the heaters).

Now as I am sure those who are reading this........are possibly cringing (and Duck may be either drooling or doing backflips). I am more interested in QB hurries and QB sacks. This is what I found on the internet........ The Packers ranked #6 in passing yardage !!! Sixth !!! Wow.........6th in passing and 7th in rushing......not too shabby. OK so what do the other stats say?

The Packers were sacked 45 times (not quite as bad as the 51 sack the previous year.......but sheeeeeeesh man sheeeeeeeeesh). Denver's QB was sacked only 20 times. Detroit only 23. The worst was Jacksonville at 50. Packers QB's threw only 16 INTs......but Seattle only threw 9 and San Fran only threw 8 (I think the INT stat has some "QB Hurries" embedded in their somewhere). 

OK........heck YES we need one or more new offensive linemen. Would also help to get a better TE. Losing Finley was bigger than we though, particularly in light of losing Cobb. At least we got to see Boykin mature. 

McCarthy says stats are for losers......... 

GO PACK GO........THE PACK SHALL BE BACK !!    CATSY SHALL BE BACK TOO !! (where is that chick anyway?).

Leroy was right in that if we keep pounding Lacy into 8 man boxes with a lock of front blocking his career will be toast in 5 seasons. Walter Payton was fortunate in that the Bears did have a line for most of his tenure. Blocking is not just the front 5. It is everyone on the offensive side of the ball.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 am

_HD_ wrote:Butler isn't bright enough to understand what should and should not be said in various situations to serve his own best interests...and the best interests of his constituencies.  He has wanted a coaching job with the Pack--BAD--for years...and there's a reason he doesn't get one.  His filter is a fish net.

THIS
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:21 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote:Butler isn't bright enough to understand what should and should not be said in various situations to serve his own best interests...and the best interests of his constituencies.  He has wanted a coaching job with the Pack--BAD--for years...and there's a reason he doesn't get one.  His filter is a fish net.

THIS

Seconded. Exactamundo.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down