Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vince Lombardi

3 posters

Go down

Vince Lombardi Empty Vince Lombardi

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm

R I P Vincent Thomas Lombardi (June 11, 1913 – September 3, 1970)  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
100 years 

Thor

Back to top Go down

Vince Lombardi Empty Re: Vince Lombardi

Post by ~Sheila~ Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

He was a man of many great quotes. 

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winners never quit and quitters never win."

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 am

Very nice to see this on the Viking board.  Lombardi was a great coach, respected by just about everyone in the NFL.

I would say the same thing about Bud Grant.  Another giant.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 am

duck wrote:Very nice to see this on the Viking board.  Lombardi was a great coach, respected by just about everyone in the NFL.

Exactly Duck. Both these men rate very high in my book...in fact they're 1 & 2. Gotta give the edge to Lombardi, although I will always admire the excellence Grant brought to the Vikings organization.

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 am

Thor11 wrote:
duck wrote:Very nice to see this on the Viking board.  Lombardi was a great coach, respected by just about everyone in the NFL.

Exactly Duck. Both these men rate very high in my book...in fact they're 1 & 2. Gotta give the edge to Lombardi, although I will always admire the excellence Grant brought to the Vikings organization.

Thor

Gotta put Bill Walsh, Paul Brown, Don Shula, maybe Bill Parcells and even (ugh) Bill Belichick in that stratosphere too.

Now, even though I'll continue to razz you for the empty Vikings trophy case, I will acknowledge that sustained excellence over a long period of time, even without a Lombardi Trophy, is a huge achievement.  What Bud Grant did, keeping the Vikings at the top of the NFC for so many years is phenomenal.  Another feat, the Buffalo Bills going to FOUR FREAKING SUPER BOWLS IN A ROW, blows my mind.  Both these 0-4 Super Bowl teams, in my mind, are infinitely more impressive than the fluky one-or-two time Super Bowl champs.

Having said that, my position is probably unusual and reflective of the fact that I'm an old fart.  Most of the kiddies and casual NFL fans kiss the ass of the current champ and forget who won it, weeks and months later.  Most of them have no idea who lost the Super Bowl, or made a strong playoff run.

But that's why we have football boards...
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by j82053 Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Very nice and thought out post.

Jeff

j82053

Back to top Go down