Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy

+2
Admin
leejr
6 posters

Go down

The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy Empty The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy

Post by leejr Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

STEELERS: The Steelers raised some eyebrows with their choice of running back in the second round, taking Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell over Alabama's Eddie Lacy, who was considered the top back in the draft. A team source told [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that the Steelers weren't going to draft Lacy because his big toe had been fused, which has never been reported. There had been reports that teams were concerned about Lacy's hamstring and turf toe. The Steelers weren't the only team to pass on Lacy. He lasted until the bottom of the second round, when the Green Bay Packers made him the fourth running back drafted
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy Empty Re: The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy

Post by Admin Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

leejr wrote:STEELERS: The Steelers raised some eyebrows with their choice of running back in the second round, taking Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell over Alabama's Eddie Lacy, who was considered the top back in the draft. A team source told [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that the Steelers weren't going to draft Lacy because his big toe had been fused, which has never been reported. There had been reports that teams were concerned about Lacy's hamstring and turf toe. The Steelers weren't the only team to pass on Lacy. He lasted until the bottom of the second round, when the Green Bay Packers made him the fourth running back drafted
People don't realize how serious an injury that toe can be... ask Jack Lambert... it caused him to retire earlier than anyone anticipated. Turf toe can be extremely serious. I'm pleased that the Steelers passed on Lacy. we have enough "fragile" atheletes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy Empty Re: The reason why Pitt didn't pick Lacy

Post by Toddseahawks Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Admin wrote:
leejr wrote:STEELERS: The Steelers raised some eyebrows with their choice of running back in the second round, taking Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell over Alabama's Eddie Lacy, who was considered the top back in the draft. A team source told [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that the Steelers weren't going to draft Lacy because his big toe had been fused, which has never been reported. There had been reports that teams were concerned about Lacy's hamstring and turf toe. The Steelers weren't the only team to pass on Lacy. He lasted until the bottom of the second round, when the Green Bay Packers made him the fourth running back drafted
People don't realize how serious an injury that toe can be... ask Jack Lambert... it caused him to retire earlier than anyone anticipated. Turf toe can be extremely serious. I'm pleased that the Steelers passed on Lacy. we have enough "fragile" atheletes.

It cost Curt Warner a carreer and a HOF. Turf tow....is .....lights out!!!
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

I think they chose Bell over Lacey because of this and the fact that Bell excelled behind a much less talented offensive line. He created extra yards on his own, which, unfortunately, is something he'll need to do if he wants to sniff a 4 yard per carry average behind this line, which has no clear left tackle and a low average left guard, not to mention shallow depth and the potential that one injury could again derail any continuity they establish.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Admin wrote:
Lambert actually had problems with his toe 5 years before it was announced, he played 10 1/2 seasons in the NFL and back then ( even today) LB's take a beating especially when you compare the rules of the 70's to todays game. it may have shortened his career by a year, maybe two but the writing was already on the way and he had alreadty lost a step, I think Green Bay stole Lacy and RB is the biggest reason GB hasnt won more championships, their running game has sucked and they are more of a threat now then they have been the last 3 years.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Harrison has played 10 years and has lost a step maybe even two as well, sure many LB's have played longer but those are the exceptions, as for the turf toe medical treatment has excelled 100 fold since the 70's and I dont think its going to be a problem for lacy at all, but I am glad to took the RB from Mich St, he fits right in with the others.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:10 am

Bell is the better RB regardless of the turf toe that Lacey had ... Bell carried the entire Mich St offense on his back , and did it in spite of the opponents all knowing that he was their only real threat ... teams lined up to stop the running of Bell, and he ran all over most of those teams anyway ... he will be the real deal and excel if our coaching staff puts together smart gameplans  with unpredictable methods of madness ... every running play doesn't have to be straight up the middle or only on obvious running downs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:26 am

TASKFORCE wrote:Bell is the better RB regardless of the turf toe that Lacey had ... Bell carried the entire Mich St offense on his back , and did it in spite of the opponents all knowing that he was their only real threat ... teams lined up to stop the running of Bell, and he ran all over most of those teams anyway ... he will be the real deal and excel if our coaching staff puts together smart gameplans  with unpredictable methods of madness ... every running play doesn't have to be straight up the middle or only on obvious running downs.

I dunno know if I'd use better as the adjective... I know they are different style running backs. Bell is more the style Pittsburgh needs. Lacy just doesn't exude that black & gold smash mouth... but neither have played a down in the NFL yet... so we'll have to see how this turns out. I'm excited about Bell... Think he could be something special.... Let's hope he meets the expectations.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 am

Admin wrote:
TASKFORCE wrote:Bell is the better RB regardless of the turf toe that Lacey had ... Bell carried the entire Mich St offense on his back , and did it in spite of the opponents all knowing that he was their only real threat ... teams lined up to stop the running of Bell, and he ran all over most of those teams anyway ... he will be the real deal and excel if our coaching staff puts together smart gameplans  with unpredictable methods of madness ... every running play doesn't have to be straight up the middle or only on obvious running downs.

I dunno know if I'd use better as the adjective... I know they are different style running backs. Bell is more the style Pittsburgh needs. Lacy just doesn't exude that black & gold smash mouth... but neither have played a down in the NFL yet... so we'll have to see how this turns out. I'm excited about Bell... Think he could be something special.... Let's hope he meets the expectations.

Agree, Lacey is an outstanding RB who will most likely wreak havoc against Green Bay's opponents who are stuck trying to defend the Packers WR's ... I like the fact that Bell is a bigger back and he's coming from a school which struggled in the passing game .. he's used to having to fight for his yards and should find them more easily with Big Ben's passing game keeping the defenders on their heels.

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Toddseahawks wrote:
Admin wrote:

I remember when Jack Lambert retired with turf toe and I thought to myself, what a big sissy.  LOL!  That's before I knew all about "turf toe" and how tuff Jack Lambert was as a football player.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Toddseahawks wrote:
Admin wrote:

I remember when Jack Lambert retired with turf toe and I thought to myself, what a big sissy.  LOL!  That's before I knew all about "turf toe" and how tough Jack Lambert was as a football player.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down