Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay?

3 posters

Go down

Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay? Empty Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay?

Post by leejr Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown: Who Should Pittsburgh Pay?

By
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.](Contributor) on April 18, 2012

84 reads

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

With Mike Wallace holding out over contract disputes, many fans don't realize that the problem Pittsburgh is facing with its star receiver is one that could manifest itself again next season.

At the end of the season, Mike Wallace will be an unrestricted free agent and have the chance to leave Pittsburgh for bigger money if the team doesn't pay him beforehand. At the same time, last season's team MVP, Antonio Brown, will become a restricted free agent and be in the same position Wallace is in now.

So that begs the question: which one do you pay?

Pittsburgh has a history of never paying its receivers big money, with the exception Hines Ward. That history works against Wallace getting a big-money deal and definitely works against the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] keeping both Wallace and Brown.

So if it came down to it, which receiver would the Steelers want more?

The average fan would say Wallace, as he is the household name at receiver for Pittsburgh, but the more in-tune fan would have to say Brown.

While Wallace is a threat to go deep every play and score, he has been billed as a one-trick pony who doesn't excel at the other facets of being a receiver.

Look at his production last season: he lit up the league through the first eight games, with 800 yards of receiving, and was on pace for having one of the best seasons at receiver in Steelers history. Then, he practically disappeared. During the second half of the season, he only produced 393 more yards and three more touchdowns.

During this time, though, Brown assimilated himself as the Steelers' go-to guy at receiver. Brown has the same kind of speed as Wallace, with Wallace himself saying in an article that Brown is faster during his cuts, but Wallace beats him in straight-away speed, but not by much.

Brown finished the season with 1,108 yards of receiving, but only two touchdowns. He came alive during Wallace's slump and used this time make his case for going to the Pro Bowl with Wallace. Brown is also viewed as the more complete receiver of the two.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Christian Petersen/Getty Images

So it comes down to who do you choose? The speedster Wallace, or the well-rounded Brown?
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay? Empty Re: Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:29 pm

It could be argued that Wallace not only stretches the field and adds a definitive long-ball threat to the offense, but in doing so he opens things up for Brown and other receivers. My feeling is that it comes down to his other qualities. Does he have the personality to be a TO or Randy Moss, i.e., great skills but with negatives to having him on the team. Just holding out for more money isn't necessarily an indication of that, so I'd ask has anyone heard anything about him in the locker room or slacking off on the field when the play doesn't go his way? I love what Wallace brings to the team, but if it came down to "you have to choose one or the other," I think I'd take Brown.

Back to top Go down

Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay? Empty Re: Brown or Wallace. Who should Pitt Pay?

Post by wyckedheart8 Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Simple, you pay the person not asking for a stupid amount of cash that his skills and mouth cant back up.
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 pm

I'd take Brown. Wallace takes too many games off.

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:35 am

The bigger the game, the more invisible is Mike Wallace...Cotchery and Brown are big moment receivers...winners. Wallace is a good deep threat, but he doesn't have that 'it' factor. What makes matters worse is the fact that Ben doesn't throw the screen or the long ball well. Ben is simply outstanding on everything in between, but Wallace clearly is not. The speed would be tough to lose, but given the style of the QB, guys like Cotchery, Brown, and Heath Miller are really the go to options, particularly in big game situations.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down