Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!!

5 posters

Go down

2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!! Empty 2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm

guess who has the easiest schedule again!!! Seems like every year they have the easiest schedule.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!! Empty Re: 2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!!

Post by LRJets Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

The Jets still play teams with an under .500 winning percentage. SOS coming out before the draft means things could change. What happens if a team drafts an immediate impact player? It could mean a win or more which is significant.

Do we know if Peyton returns as a dynamo or fizzes? Do we know if the Jets will explode with Sanchez-Tebow or play like we want them to? The Giants lost a few to free agency. Other teams like the Bears did well. It's just pre-season talk now, nothing more.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!! Empty Re: 2012 strength of schedule... guess who has the easiest schedule again!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm

saiyan316 wrote:guess who has the easiest schedule again!!! Seems like every year they have the easiest schedule.

You have to keep in mind that they play the rest of the AFC East twice, though. So when the Jets have the Pats twice on the schedule and the Pats win 13 games, compared to the Jets who won 8... That will tend to skew the #'s a bit.

Jet's play 6 games against teams with 9 wins or more, Pats play 4. Take out the head to head match-up and it's 4-4.

If you take out the H2H games, the record of the opponents is dead even I believe @ 100 wins and 124 losses.

So really, the schedules are dead even. If the Jets won 13 last season and the Pats won 8, the Jets would have the easiest schedule while the Pats would rank #20 overall.

I think the Pats should face some stiffer competition outside of the division because they were in the SB, but it is what it is. Every year you play certain divisions, that's the NFL. One year you get to play a weak division, the next you may get hammered into facing the best, like the Giants this season. Their schedule is rough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 pm

So really, the schedules are dead even. If the Jets won 13 last season and the Pats won 8, the Jets would have the easiest schedule while the Pats would rank #20 overall.

I think the Pats should face some stiffer competition outside of the division because they were in the SB, but it is what it is. Every year you play certain divisions, that's the NFL. One year you get to play a weak division, the next you may get hammered into facing the best, like the Giants this season. Their schedule is rough.

I am pretty sure the scheduling is cut and dry. The Pats, Jets, Bills and Phins play the exact same schedule. The only difference is the Pats play the 1st place place teams in the AFC and the Jets play the second place team and so on and so forth. The difference in the SOS is the Jets SOS factors in the Pats. I am not sure what you mean when you say the Pats should face tougher competition because they were in the SB. The way the scheduling is done, they already do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Dawger75 wrote:So really, the schedules are dead even. If the Jets won 13 last season and the Pats won 8, the Jets would have the easiest schedule while the Pats would rank #20 overall.

I am pretty sure the scheduling is cut and dry. The Pats, Jets, Bills and Phins play the exact same schedule. The only difference is the Pats play the 1st place place teams in the AFC and the Jets play the second place team and so on and so forth. The difference in the SOS is the Jets SOS factors in the Pats. I am not sure what you mean when you say the Pats should face tougher competition because they were in the SB. The way the scheduling is done, they already do.

I already said that the Pats SOS difference is due to them having a 5 more wins than the Jets last season. That's a 10 win difference in their SOS seeing as the Jets and Pats play each other twice.

What I meant by saying they should play tougher competition is that I think the top teams should play the top records. For instance this year play the Ravens, Steelers and Texans since they were the top 3 teams (aside from NE) in the AFC, whereas there were 3 teams in the AFC West who were 8-8. So playing the top team in that division is the same SOS wise as playing the third place team, and only 1 game different from playing the 4th place team in that division.

This season, for the AFC East, the only difference in playing the top team from each AFC division and the second place team is 1 game.

Baltimore and Pitt had the same record, Denver and San Diego had the same record, and the Texans were 10-6 Vs. the Titans who were 9-7.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 am

Consensus opinion is that the Pats do have the easiest schedule of the four division winners.

The Giants for example have their last six games against Green Bay, Washington, New Orleans, Atlanta, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. The Pats have the last three of their games at home.

By contrast, the Jets last four games have only one game at home. They open against Buffalo who in recent years start off hot. Weeks two thru five the Jets will face the number 1,6,2, and 4 best scoring defenses. This gives Sanchez the pressure of being tested early.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:09 am

In fairness, the last eight games, the Jets play only one playoff team in the Pats. Manish Mehta predicts a 9-7 season for the Jets. Damn, I'm tired of these 8-8, 9-7 seasons of mediocrity.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 pm

I wouldn't put it past the NFL to have loaded up the early season schedule with tough defense as a way to get Tebow on the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Ted. you might be on the right path. This morning Staphen A. Smith said "the fix is in" re: Tebow, he'll start after the Jets are 1-4.

Michael Irvin said Tebow will start after week 2.

Woody really took a chance, but it's his toy.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

MrBlonde49 wrote:I wouldn't put it past the NFL to have loaded up the early season schedule with tough defense as a way to get Tebow on the field.

Damn sure feels that way Blonde. As Lloyd said, it was a topic on first take and that idea came up, it's also a pretty common thought across a couple of forums I visited this morning. There is a very real possibility the Jets end up 2-3 or even 1-4 after the first 5 games, and of course that swings the door open for all the Tebow stuff.

Looking further into the schedule, boy the Jets have it so much worse. This doesn't count any H2H games at all.

In the Jets worst 4 game stretch they play teams with a combined record of 41 wins and 23 losses (.640WP), with games @Pitt, Texans and SF @ home. Then they finish with 3 of their last 4 games on the road against teams with a combined 28 wins.

In contrast, the Patriots worst 4 game stretch is against teams with a combined record of 34 wins and 30 losses (.531), with the Texans and SF @ home, and finish their season with 3 of their last 4 @ home against teams who combined for 31 wins (this includes Hou and SF).

Even with the Texans and San Fran (combined for 23 wins) their final 4 opponents (3 home games) only come out to 3 more wins than the Jets final 4 games (3 on the road).

All in all, when you add things up the schedule HEAVILY favors the Pats.

With how it starts for the Jets and that brutal 4 game stretch
How it ends with the Pats having 3 of 4 at home, while the Jets have 3 of 4 on the road.
Plus the Pats never face a stretch nearly as rough as the Jets, when they face 3 (non division) heavyweights in the span of 1 month.

So much for making things tougher on the winning teams. Again, I completely took H2H out of it and just compared the rest of the schedule.

Oh and let's not forget, who is coming to NE in those last 3 home games... All warm weather, teams who aren't used to northeast weather. Meanwhile, the Jets home games vs. Miami, SF and Houston happen in September and October when the weather is still very mild / warm in NJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Have you seen the pitts schedule??? And they rank 14????? Total load of shit. Sorry, but they go through this every year. Mummy was right...they should have won the SB 10 times by now. But Seattle....gets to play the big boys...every freaking year, and peeps say the NFC west is a scrub division...but have a rep to the SB....routinely? The nfc west is totally under rated.....JMO!
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 pm

LRJets wrote:Ted. you might be on the right path. This morning Staphen A. Smith said "the fix is in" re: Tebow, he'll start after the Jets are 1-4.

Michael Irvin said Tebow will start after week 2.

Woody really took a chance, but it's his toy.

I don't see this happening. I really believe that Sanchez will be the QB for vast majority of snaps this season come what may. Putting in Tebow, if Sanchez gets shaky, means a QB controversy of the worst kind, with a QB who really can't play QB and be taken seriously as a long term solution, in a town where the media frenzy, already Tebow poised and watching, will consume everything like a black hole. If the Jets did this, it would tell me that this management team has absolutely no clue what they're doing and are not interested building a winning team, just one that makes money. It would be a different story if the Jets were to draft a QB, say like Nick Foles (AZ), or Brock Osweiler (ASU), guys who have the tools to be decent pros, and put them in there if Sanchez falters to see if they have what it takes. But bringing in Tebow as a starter, if Sanchez gets off to a slow start, means that Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey will be the featured performance at MetLife stadium for the rest of the football season.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:01 pm

I took a glance at the Jets schedule. IMO, after their first 8 games they will be 4 - 4 and 10 or 11 wins at the end of the season.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 am

saiyan316 wrote:guess who has the easiest schedule again!!! Seems like every year they have the easiest schedule.

The Jets and Pats play almost identical schedules outside of their head-to-head matchups, and in the two games that are different, the teams play against teams with identical records. The Pats play the 8-8 Broncos at home and 12-4 Ravens on the road while the Jets play the 8-8 Chargers at home and the 12-4 Steelers on the road. Even with this jackass 4 team division setup the team's schedules are as close as they can be.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:08 am

Rags, I don't have the table in front of me showing the rank order of SOS. I do remember there are a lot of teams between the Jets at 13 or 14, and the Pats at the bottom of said table. (The higher the team's placement, the more difficult the schedule).

I know you aren't happy with the schedule makers for years, but how can the Pats (with a SB appearance), draw a sweet schedule like that? I know, six games are with their AFCE rivals.

Still.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Rags, I don't have the table in front of me showing the rank order of SOS. I do remember there are a lot of teams between the Jets at 13 or 14, and the Pats at the bottom of said table. (The higher the team's placement, the more difficult the schedule).

I know you aren't happy with the schedule makers for years, but how can the Pats (with a SB appearance), draw a sweet schedule like that? I know, six games are with their AFCE rivals.

Still.

[b] LR what is it that you and the rest of the Jets Nation wants.

Every team in the AFC plays the same schedule, EXCEPT the Pats play the best team in the division in the AFC.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:07 pm

LR what is it that you and the rest of the Jets Nation wants.

Every team in the AFC plays the same schedule, EXCEPT the Pats play the best team in the division in the AFC.

Dawg, I read on a couple of neutral sites that the Pats have the easiest schedule. These writers are not involved in any NE-NY rivalry. Why is there such a numerical discrepancy (listing of the SOS) between the Jets' rank and NE?

At the end of the day, a team has to go through some other team regardless to go for the prize.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:26 pm

LRJets wrote:Rags, I don't have the table in front of me showing the rank order of SOS. I do remember there are a lot of teams between the Jets at 13 or 14, and the Pats at the bottom of said table. (The higher the team's placement, the more difficult the schedule).

Still.

It's not so much the schedule makers, it's the four team divisions that are a joke. They're also the main reason why every team plays totally different schedules, and also why teams with worse records get to the dance while teams with better records miss out, even though they may have beaten that other team that made it.

No matter how tough or easy the schedule is though, all any team has to do to get to the playoffs is have a better record than three of the remaining thirty one teams in the NFL. I know it might make it easier for us, because the other three teams have for the most part struggled to stay with the Pats, but that doesn't make it right.

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

LRJets wrote:Rags, I don't have the table in front of me showing the rank order of SOS. I do remember there are a lot of teams between the Jets at 13 or 14, and the Pats at the bottom of said table. (The higher the team's placement, the more difficult the schedule).

Still.

Until they figure out a way for every team to finish 8-8 there'll always be differences in SOS in terms of opponent W/L %, but every time it comes up I say the same thing;
Every team in the league plays against 4 teams that finished first in their division last year, 4 against teams that finished second, 4 thirds and 4 fourths.
Sounds pretty fair to me.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down