Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Like the GM

4 posters

Go down

Like the GM Empty Like the GM

Post by bowlerman422 Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I amk beginning to like GM Maccagnan. He has done more to help the Jets in the few weeks that he has been here than Idzik did in his two years that he was here. Idzik had 12 draft picks last year. He got one player out of it. I can't wait until April 30th. I really expect some good players this year  out of the draft.
Idzik got rid of all the CB that were any good. The new GM is meeting with as many CBB's as possible. I am looking foward to him signing some good ones this year when free agency beginsm this coming Tues.
For the first time in a long time I am proud to be a Jets fan.

Smile

bowlerman422

Back to top Go down

Like the GM Empty Re: Like the GM

Post by wassejet Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm

bowlerman422 wrote:I amk beginning to like GM Maccagnan. He has done more to help the Jets in the few weeks that he has been here than Idzik did in his two years that he was here. Idzik had 12 draft picks last year. He got one player out of it. I can't wait until April 30th. I really expect some good players this year  out of the draft.
Idzik got rid of all the CB that were any good. The new GM is meeting with as many CBB's as possible. I am looking foward to him signing some good ones this year when free agency beginsm this coming Tues.
For the first time in a long time I am proud to be a Jets fan.

Smile
It's still early. I'm not crazy about the Brandon Marshall signing. It is well known that he has some mental issues. He says that they are under control, but this is his 4th team. To me he's T.O. II. Historically, the Jets have not done well signing FA WR's with the possible exception of Eric Decker. Jets would have been better off drafting a WR where they have historically done exceptionally well. 

It was just announced that Revis is back with the Jets. This is another signing I don't agree with. Yes, he is a great player, but I feel that money would be better spent on a good pass rusher. A good PR makes all DBs a notch better. When this season is over, we'll all have fun speculating where Revis will play next season.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlerman422 Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't care. The man has upgraded the Jets big time. He upgraded the WR with the Marshall trade. Gave away nothing for him. Got two CB in free agency. He might get another in Cromartie. He upgarded the QB with the Fitzpatrick trade. Also gave away nothing. For a fifth and seventh pick he got someone to throw the ball and someone to catch it.
If Ryan would have had a GM like him. Ryan would have been in playoffs instead of having a 4 win season. Imagine what Ryan would done with only one CB. Instead of the nobodies he had.

No

bowlerman422

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:08 pm

bowlerman422 wrote:I don't care. The man has upgraded the Jets big time. He upgraded the WR with the Marshall trade. Gave away nothing for him. Got two CB in free agency. He might get another in Cromartie. He upgarded the QB with the Fitzpatrick trade. Also gave away nothing. For a fifth and seventh pick he got someone to throw the ball and someone to catch it.
If Ryan would have had a GM like him. Ryan would have been in playoffs instead of having a 4 win season. Imagine what Ryan would done with only one CB. Instead of the nobodies he had.

No
This team is not going anywhere unless there is a significant upgrade at QB. I don't see Fitzpatrick as a significant upgrade. Ryan shot himself in the foot by starting Geno instead of Vick. Had Vick been the starter, Jets may have gotten into the playoffs, certainly winning more than 4 games.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by rdariusxxxx Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:06 pm

wassejet wrote:
bowlerman422 wrote:I don't care. The man has upgraded the Jets big time. He upgraded the WR with the Marshall trade. Gave away nothing for him. Got two CB in free agency. He might get another in Cromartie. He upgarded the QB with the Fitzpatrick trade. Also gave away nothing. For a fifth and seventh pick he got someone to throw the ball and someone to catch it.

No
This team is not going anywhere unless there is a significant upgrade at QB. I don't see Fitzpatrick as a significant upgrade. Ryan shot himself in the foot by starting Geno instead of Vick. Had Vick been the starter, Jets may have gotten into the playoffs, certainly winning more than 4 games.
I disagree. Vick was not ever the answer. He was never that good of a QB, IMHO, and certainly he is less now than he was before. He didn't do particularly better than Geno, has a career 56% completion rate (it was 52.9% last year), and is well past his prime. I agree Fitzpatrick is nothing to write home about either, but he's had some good years with Gailey and really only needs to manage the game. That's not really Vick's style, so while Fitz isn't anything special, he may be a better fit. Of course, being able to manage a game doesn't mean that much in itself, if you don't have the other parts you needs to make those units special. Our CB's last year were horrible, among the worst in the league. Bowles has a similar style defense. The system requires CB's that can cover in isolation. Our CB's last year couldn't cover an 8 year old. I think getting the best CB in the game to come back is well worth the money he commands. We all know what he can do.
rdariusxxxx
rdariusxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 pm

rdariusxxxx wrote:I disagree. Vick was not ever the answer. He was never that good of a QB, IMHO, and certainly he is less now than he was before. He didn't do particularly better than Geno, has a career 56% completion rate (it was 52.9% last year), and is well past his prime. I agree Fitzpatrick is nothing to write home about either, but he's had some good years with Gailey and really only needs to manage the game. That's not really Vick's style, so while Fitz isn't anything special, he may be a better fit. Of course, being able to manage a game doesn't mean that much in itself, if you don't have the other parts you needs to make those units special. Our CB's last year were horrible, among the worst in the league. Bowles has a similar style defense. The system requires CB's that can cover in isolation. Our CB's last year couldn't cover an 8 year old. I think getting the best CB in the game to come back is well worth the money he commands. We all know what he can do.
The Jets have a top ten defense, therefore all that was required of the QB position last season was to put up some points and not constantly turn the ball over. Michael Vick was a three time pro bowler, appeared in one super bowl and had a lifetime winning record. Are you seriously saying that Smith was the better choice between the two? In the Steeler game Vick put up some quick points which caused them to have to play catchup and that allowed the Jet D to play up to their capabilities. That should have been the pattern for the entire year. Instead we got constant giveaways causing the Jets to continually have to play from behind. Being able to manage a game does mean a lot, because we've seen what happens when a game is badly managed. Jets finished the season with the 6th ranked run defense, the 14th ranked pass defense and 6th overall. When you say the CB's were the worst in the league, the stats don't back you up. I'm not saying they were were good, but they were nowhere near the worst.

When you say Bowles' defense requires CB's to cover in isolation that makes me very nervous because you can count on one hand the number of CB's in the league who can do that. Yes, Revis is one of those, no doubt. However, I'd take a 15-20 sack pass rusher in a heartbeat over Revis. A good pass rusher makes all four DB's better not just one. 

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:19 am

I don't begrudge Revis the money at all. He did what is best for him......just like NFL owners do, so good for him on that score. He now gets $1 Million per game basically. Pretty good work if you can get it. It was a pleasure to watch shut down half a field for a year. A true difference maker. The Patriots got what they wanted from him. And he got what he wanted from the Patriots. So it was a mutual win-win, and I can't be upset with either side. Of course I would have liked to see the party last longer, but c'est la vie. Good luck, except twice per year.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:55 am

guppy wrote:I don't begrudge Revis the money at all.  He did what is best for him......just like NFL owners do, so good for him on that score.  He now gets $1 Million per game basically.  Pretty good work if you can get it.  It was a pleasure to watch shut down half a field for a year.  A true difference maker.  The Patriots got what they wanted from him.  And he got what he wanted from the Patriots.  So it was a mutual win-win, and I can't be upset with either side.  Of course I would have liked to see the party last longer, but c'est la vie.   Good luck, except twice per year.    
I'm glad he's no longer with the Pats because that's bad for us. Like you, I don't begrudge him getting all he can. No question he is the among the top three CB's in the league and should be paid accordingly. Getting consistent pressure on the QB is the most effective weapon against a good passing offense. Realizing I'm probably in a tiny minority, I think the Jets weren't smart investing that much money in a cornerback no matter how good he is.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

wassejet wrote:
guppy wrote:I don't begrudge Revis the money at all.  He did what is best for him......just like NFL owners do, so good for him on that score.  He now gets $1 Million per game basically.  Pretty good work if you can get it.  It was a pleasure to watch shut down half a field for a year.  A true difference maker.  The Patriots got what they wanted from him.  And he got what he wanted from the Patriots.  So it was a mutual win-win, and I can't be upset with either side.  Of course I would have liked to see the party last longer, but c'est la vie.   Good luck, except twice per year.    
I'm glad he's no longer with the Pats because that's bad for us. Like you, I don't begrudge him getting all he can. No question he is the among the top three CB's in the league and should be paid accordingly. Getting consistent pressure on the QB is the most effective weapon against a good passing offense. Realizing I'm probably in a tiny minority, I think the Jets weren't smart investing that much money in a cornerback no matter how good he is.

Whether the investment in an elite cornerback is a smart one or not remains to be seen over the course of a whole season. But, like I said, it was an awful lot of fun watching him shut down the other teams' top receivers for one year. In that murders' row stretch in the middle of the season, the Pats beat the passing attacks of Cutler, P. Manning, Luck, Stafford, Rivers, and barely lost a close one to A. Rodgers (Jordy Nelson had a big catch for a TD on Revis in that one). Revis was a huge part of that successful stretch. Then in the playoffs, beating Flacco, Luck and Wilson, a lot of credit goes to Revis. In the superbowl, Doug Baldwin for Seattle had only one catch for three yards and a TD the entire game, and the one catch he did have was because Revis got picked off in the end zone by the ref. When Baldwin came back to the sideline, Jermaine Kerse said to him, "How'd you get so open?" Baldwin shouted back, "Because I'm a BEAST, that's why." I guess if you make one catch for 3 yards on Revis the entire game, that makes you a "beast", and entitles you to do an endzone celebration where pretend like you're taking a dump and the football comes out of your ass. NBC cut away from that very quickly and did not show it. Baldwin did get 15 yards for unsportsmanlike which was enforced on the kickoff. Just shows how much Revis frustrated him. LOL.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:17 pm

guppy wrote:
Whether the investment in an elite cornerback is a smart one or not remains to be seen over the course of a whole season.  But, like I said, it was an awful lot of fun watching him shut down the other teams' top receivers for one year.  In that murders' row stretch in the middle of the season, the Pats beat the passing attacks of Cutler, P. Manning, Luck, Stafford, Rivers, and barely lost a close one to A. Rodgers (Jordy Nelson had a big catch for a TD on Revis in that one).  Revis was a huge part of that successful stretch.  Then in the playoffs, beating Flacco, Luck and Wilson, a lot of credit goes to Revis.  In the superbowl, Doug Baldwin for Seattle had only one catch for three yards and a TD the entire game, and the one catch he did have was because Revis got picked off in the end zone by the ref.  When Baldwin came back to the sideline, Jermaine Kerse said to him, "How'd you get so open?"  Baldwin shouted back, "Because I'm a BEAST, that's why."   I guess if you make one catch for 3 yards on Revis the entire game, that makes you a "beast", and entitles you to do an endzone celebration where pretend like you're taking a dump and the football comes out of your ass.  NBC cut away from that very quickly and did not show it.  Baldwin did get 15 yards for unsportsmanlike which was enforced on the kickoff.  Just shows how much Revis frustrated him.  LOL.
Well, we had that luxury of watching him shut down other teams top receivers for a few years, but it didn't get us into the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, you can't win on defense alone. You guys have Brady, and as long as he's playing like Brady, your team will be the one to beat.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Well, we had that luxury of watching him shut down other teams top receivers for a few years, but it didn't get us into the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, you can't win on defense alone. You guys have Brady, and as long as he's playing like Brady, your team will be the one to beat.[/quote]

Good points. I'm thinking Belichick is going to change the identity of the defense for next year from one to relying on an elite secondary, to one where the emphasis is on pressuring the QB and the front seven - like Baltimore. We'll see if the chameleon of a coach can once again reinvent the defense. I'm thinking its going to be very hard to do. Just making the playoffs and then getting bounced in whatever round is not going to be acceptable to the fanbase after gutting a secondary which played a big role in going all the way. People ask, "Why not do whatever it takes keep a good thing going, especially when Brady has only a couple of years left?"

Speaking of players who it is a privilege to watch, we are very fortunate. Also, it looks like his NFL shelf life is going to be longer than most, if not all, of his peers and contemporaries. A once in a generation player. Very fortunate.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:35 pm

guppy wrote:
......I'm thinking Belichick is going to change the identity of the defense for next year from one to relying on an elite secondary, to one where the emphasis is on pressuring the QB and the front seven - like Baltimore.....  
That's the way I would build a defense if it were up to me. If you can get good pressure on the QB, it makes all your DB's a notch better. In today's NFL, it's nearly impossible to find shut down corners. WR's, QB's and offensive coordinators are just too good to rely on one guy. I don't buy the defensive philosophy that requires "press coverage." Yes, you're taking away their best receiver but you are still giving the QB time to throw to secondary receivers. Time to throw is the one luxury you can't give a good NFL QB. Pressure up front is the way to go. As the former Giants GM Ernie Acorsi once said, "you can never have enough pass rushers."

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by rdariusxxxx Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:04 am

wassejet wrote:
rdariusxxxx wrote:I disagree. Vick was not ever the answer. He was never that good of a QB, IMHO, and certainly he is less now than he was before. He didn't do particularly better than Geno, has a career 56% completion rate (it was 52.9% last year), and is well past his prime. I agree Fitzpatrick is nothing to write home about either, but he's had some good years with Gailey and really only needs to manage the game. That's not really Vick's style, so while Fitz isn't anything special, he may be a better fit. Of course, being able to manage a game doesn't mean that much in itself, if you don't have the other parts you needs to make those units special. Our CB's last year were horrible, among the worst in the league. Bowles has a similar style defense. The system requires CB's that can cover in isolation. Our CB's last year couldn't cover an 8 year old. I think getting the best CB in the game to come back is well worth the money he commands. We all know what he can do.
The Jets have a top ten defense, therefore all that was required of the QB position last season was to put up some points and not constantly turn the ball over. Michael Vick was a three time pro bowler, appeared in one super bowl and had a lifetime winning record. Are you seriously saying that Smith was the better choice between the two? In the Steeler game Vick put up some quick points which caused them to have to play catchup and that allowed the Jet D to play up to their capabilities. That should have been the pattern for the entire year. Instead we got constant giveaways causing the Jets to continually have to play from behind. Being able to manage a game does mean a lot, because we've seen what happens when a game is badly managed. Jets finished the season with the 6th ranked run defense, the 14th ranked pass defense and 6th overall. When you say the CB's were the worst in the league, the stats don't back you up. I'm not saying they were were good, but they were nowhere near the worst.

When you say Bowles' defense requires CB's to cover in isolation that makes me very nervous because you can count on one hand the number of CB's in the league who can do that. Yes, Revis is one of those, no doubt. However, I'd take a 15-20 sack pass rusher in a heartbeat over Revis. A good pass rusher makes all four DB's better not just one. 
Hmmm. Not sure where I said Smith was a better option. All I was saying was that Vick was not a good option either. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and no one would claim he's a great QB, so just going to one doesn't make one a good QB. Vick also has had fumble problems in his career (55 of them), so it's not just INT's. He has more giveaways than TD's in his career (146 to 131). And he is past his prime. We had 4th string CB's last year. We had a pretty decent pass rush last year. Could it be better? Sure, I agree. But when your CB's suck wind, they'll still get burnt, because even the best pass rush doesn't do the job every time. A top QB will still take them apart. And BTW, I didn't say they were the worst, I said they were among the worst, and those stats do back me up. We also all know those rankings can be deceptive. Remember that pass defense is not just what the CB's do, but what the safeties and LB's do. Our safeties and LB's were better than our CB's. We were 14th, and not higher, because our CB's were horrible.

Revis helps the pass rush because his guy probably isn't going to be open, allowing us to help on the other side, reducing the chances for a completion, and making the QB hold the ball too long. That help goes both ways.
rdariusxxxx
rdariusxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:14 pm

rdariusxxxx wrote:....All I was saying was that Vick was not a good option either. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and no one would claim he's a great QB, so just going to one doesn't make one a good QB. Vick also has had fumble problems in his career (55 of them), so it's not just INT's. He has more giveaways than TD's in his career (146 to 131). And he is past his prime.... 
Yes, Vick had negatives, all QB's do. However, when healthy, he was one of the most dynamic QB's in the game. He also lead a team into the Super Bowl. Finally, he was having a good season with Phila. when he got hurt, and who knew Foles would come on so strong to take Vicks job away? Yes, Vick threw interceptions and fumbled the ball, but he also made great plays. Vick still had something in the tank. My point is that you don't bring a talent like Vick in and then sit him on the bench, especially when the offense was so terrible last season. If they were determined to go with Smith, they should have brought in a guy who really was a backup by trade. It was just another typical dumb Jets management decision.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum