Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :)

2 posters

Go down

Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :) Empty Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :)

Post by meiden Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 am

I know.. a little harsh on the subject line. But as the resident critic of almost every draft pick I am the outlier on the bottom of the bell curve so everyone looks a little optimistic to me.

Anyway...for those of you who like to see the good in the picks, is there anyone or any position where you would criticize Mayhew at 23? I'm not talking about something easy like...he better not take Cousins at 23 (no offense to Cousins whom I like but not at the Lions and not at 23). I mean one of those players that should fall somewhere around that point.

I'll give you a few of mine in attempt to make myself more clear. I hope Mayhew doesn't take:

1. Jenkins in either of the first two rounds. This kid's trouble with the herb is scary and we don't need another connection on this team that has too many smokers already. His talent is good enough that if he falls to the bottom of round three than I wouldn't mind Mayhew taking the chance. Still...concerns here.

2. Don't take Hightower. As much as I'd like to upgrade the MLB, we are stuck with Tulloch and please don't try to force this kid into a position he has never excelled and call it a good value at 23. That's the kind of spin that got Millen in trouble. The kid will be a good MLB somewhere but not in Detroit given the investment made into Tulloch.

3. Don't reach for one of the DEs by taking Jones, Branch, Perry or even the combine wonder Mercilus. Any of the three might be good but unless a guy like Coples or Ingram falls, use the 23 on a position of a little more need. Avril will likely sign an extension and the Lions have at least a year to figure out what they havein Brown and/or Young while KVB is still productive.

4. And please...for goodness sakes, don't take a WR, DT or even a RB with the 23 (unless Richardson falls). Likewise...don't trade up to get any player that plays the WR, DT, TE or even RB position if it takes losing a pick higher than third round. If Mayhew has to trade a higher round pick trade for a vet who can step in immediately and upgrade at interior OL, S or CB.

Of course those of you who know me understand that I will likely complain come Thursday evening... but would you expect anything otherwise?

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :) Empty Re: Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :)

Post by Dawildboar Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I'll tell you what positions I want and what positions would piss me off:

Wants (in order):

OT

OG

C

CB

Safety

DE

LB

Piss me off (in order):

Punter

PK

QB

DT

WR

RB

This is first round only, I think they get a RB, WR and a QB in the draft or Undrafted FA. The O-Line needs to get young and have a short learning curve...Don't draft Jenkins until their turn in the 2nd round...Yes I would spend a 54th pick on him, not a 53rd.

A late second round pick needs a second contract and you don't get that by firing up a bowl.
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :) Empty Re: Draft Question for the homers...er...optimists in the crowd. :)

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 pm

I pretty much concur with both of Y'all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 am

If CB- J. Jenkins fell to us in the 2nd round, I would pounce on him McB. The Schwartz had his share of Pac-man and should be more in tune than most coaches in dealing with these types. I would also love to get Mercelius because has you say all the time McB, this is a copy cat league and the Giants won with a great Pass rush, not to mention a great O-Line. The Giants had NO Running game but their Wide receivers were good. We dont know if C. Avril will resign, KVB isnt getting any younger, and Young and LoJack are in the last years of their contracts. Take the best player available, even if it means DT (Williams is on his last year) WR ( Burleson can be upgraded here in my opinion) RB ( The kid from Boise st is a stud) A little early, but it upgrades and solidifies our RB position once and for all. No to MLB D. Hightower, but a backup could be found in the 3rd round if you ask me. DAN FROM DETROIT, GO LIONS

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

NAFSNOIL wrote:If CB- J. Jenkins fell to us in the 2nd round, I would pounce on him McB. The Schwartz had his share of Pac-man and should be more in tune than most coaches in dealing with these types. I would also love to get Mercelius because has you say all the time McB, this is a copy cat league and the Giants won with a great Pass rush, not to mention a great O-Line. The Giants had NO Running game but their Wide receivers were good. We dont know if C. Avril will resign, KVB isnt getting any younger, and Young and LoJack are in the last years of their contracts. Take the best player available, even if it means DT (Williams is on his last year) WR ( Burleson can be upgraded here in my opinion) RB ( The kid from Boise st is a stud) A little early, but it upgrades and solidifies our RB position once and for all. No to MLB D. Hightower, but a backup could be found in the 3rd round if you ask me. DAN FROM DETROIT, GO LIONS

See, at this point in the Lions growth I just don't agree with taking the best player available regardless of position. None of the players at DT, WR or RB is so good that you have to take someone at that position. It's not like these players are Suh, CJ or A. Peterson, just so good that you can't pass. The players available at those positions are good and will likely start. Heck they may even be darn good starters...but you will also find darn good starters who play OLB, OT, OG, C, S and CB at that point in the draft. Should the draft board be close...you gotta take a position of need or you have to use FA and/or trades to fill those spots and Mayhew hasn't done any of that this year.

I understand that you could argue the need at DE. Still, Mercilus scares me. His production and tape have been really only slightly above average...his combine is what everyone is glowing about. Given the lower priority of need at DE than at DB, OL or interior OL, the Lions can get a guy who has produced and has solid combine numbers and fills a need.

With this schedule the Lions cannot afford to go into camp w/o upgrading at least two places out of Spievey, Levy, CB, Peterman, Raiola or Cherilus. If those players stay the same come the start of the season it is very likely the Lions take a step back in the win column.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 pm

"With this schedule the Lions cannot afford to go into camp w/o upgrading at least two places out of Spievey, Levy, CB, Peterman, Raiola or Cherilus. If those players stay the same come the start of the season it is very likely the Lions take a step back in the win column."

other than QB/TE or special team players, go with the BAP. someone who shouldn't be there will fall to 23. do the same/same with the balance of the picks. you will fill those holes, through the draft or FA, and build the best roster possible. this team isn't so far removed from the dumps that we can pass up great football players.

the players that will be drafted, with the possible exception of a couple of players who will not fall to 23, will be used in a rotation if they play anywhere but the OL and we will be adding depth there.

stay away from the druggies though. do not risk a pick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:13 pm

A lot of good points made here fellers. Apparently it boils down to the consensus of; Don't reach for players, nor take players in the first couple rounds that are basically depth. Don't take QB, WR, TE etc in the first couple rounds even if they are the BPA. Steer clear of player with questionable character/drug issues. Stick to the successful mode of BPA for need. Needs are fairly well agreed on here, as; OL,CB, LB. BTW, I haven't begun to give up on trades, not a little bit. Mayhew will be turning over rocks and leaves looking for deals until the trade deadline.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:31 pm

good point regarding trades. mayhew has pulled some slick deals. i also wonder if he would trade a future #1 pick to enhance his 2012 1st round pick.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 am

bongoman wrote:good point regarding trades. mayhew has pulled some slick deals. i also wonder if he would trade a future #1 pick to enhance his 2012 1st round pick.

I read somewhere that while all current picks are on the table, Mayhew really doesn't trade future picks. Not sure if that is true but with the depth at CB and interior OL in this draft I hope he doesn't trade away much. I'd prefer trading down and accumulating picks.

One question...what has happened to the value of higher picks now that the rookie salary cap is in place? One theory might be that the value of a higher pick has increased because the cost of that player has decreased. Would the Lions have to trade more to move up to get a guy than they might have in the past?

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 am

bongoman wrote:good point regarding trades. mayhew has pulled some slick deals. i also wonder if he would trade a future #1 pick to enhance his 2012 1st round pick.
There is only 2 players in this draft that i would trade next years # 1 to get, and those players being RB Trent Richardson from Alabama, and CB Maurice Claibourne from LSU. Most people think that Minny will take the LT out of USC, but if the Vikings are smart being in a division with these great Quarterbacks and Receivers, they should take the CB with the # 3 pick overall. But by the Lions selecting him with this years and next years 1st round picks, its some pretty damn good value and he comes here...DAN FROM DETROIT, GO LIONS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 am

if you look at the #1s that the leos have taken over the years, i would rather get a solid player who you think can contribute for a time than a couple of longer shots. the leos should be drafting lower in the order as a result of having a better team.

if they can trade down to pluck one of those two players that you identified then yes, make the move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down