Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just another day in Titletown, USA.

+2
throttleplate
~Sheila~
6 posters

Go down

Just another day in Titletown, USA.   Empty Just another day in Titletown, USA.

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 am

Read this on another board.  Smile

There is no meddling owner. No corporate name on the stadium. No tickets left unsold on game days. And no big-city distractions.

The Green Bay Packers are what they are: the heart and soul of a city of 105,000, a statewide obsession in Wisconsin and the object of undying affection for millions of fans, untold numbers of whom will never bite into a sizzling grilled brat on a 10-degree day at Lambeau Field.

Formed in the National Football League’s primordial mist in 1919, the Packers, named for founder Curly Lambeau’s employer, the Indian Packing Company, which spotted the team $500, remains the only publicly held team in major professional sports. More than 364,000 people own at least one share of stock in Green Bay Packers Inc., a purely emotional investment that never pays dividends or appreciates in value.

Bob Harlan bought one share for $25 when he became team president in 1989. Now retired, Harlan was known for answering his own telephone. Fans would call to complain about a draft pick or the price of beer by saying, “Bob, I’m a fan and a shareholder…” He would say, “I am, too, so let’s talk.”

‘The greatest story in sports’

The fact that the Packers exist in a city that would be merely a suburb in Chicago or Dallas is a minor miracle, due in equal parts to NFL revenue sharing and incredible fan support. Los Angeles can’t support a team, but the nation’s 70th-biggest television market can? Go figure.

“I think it’s the greatest story in sports,” said Green Bay native Cliff Christl, the team historian who covered the Packers as a sportswriter for 36 years. “There’s David vs. Goliath, there’s romance. I don’t know what else could top it.”

The team continues to thrive—and win—in today’s era of free agency, corporate largess and billion-dollar TV contracts, having reclaimed some of its Coach Vince Lombardi 1960s-era dominance with nine division titles since 1995 and two Super Bowl wins following the 1996 and 2010 seasons. But what makes the Packers truly special is the bond with fans. All sports teams claim loyal fans, but there’s nothing quite like Packer Nation.

Season ticket-holders live in all 50 states as well as Canada, Japan and Australia. Season tickets are passed down in wills and fought over in divorce court, and over 100,000 names comprise the waiting list. Every Green Bay home game since 1960 has been sold out, and the town, where stadium-adjacent homes in the Ashwaubenon neighborhood have been converted into sophisticated green and gold party palaces, is all Packers, all the time.

Not to be outdone, fans throughout the cheese state are proud to display their Packer pride. In the tiny northwestern Wisconsin town of Altoona, fans brag about hometown hero Frederick “Fuzzy” Thurston, 80, Lombardi’s nimble left guard and one of the most popular players in Green Bay history, who a few years ago returned to his tiny northwestern Wisconsin hometown to serve as grand marshal of the Altoona High School Homecoming Parade. Fans in Sheboygan, home of former Packers receiver Bill Schroeder (1997-2001), cluster around Meisfeld’s Meat Market custom Packer RV for charity events. Fans in Racine, former home of mid-century star receiver Don Hutson’s car dealership, remind fellow Packer-backers that they once fielded the Racine Legion, a pro football team that played Green Bay in their inaugural season of 1919.

Statewide, the most passionate pocket of Packer fans may hail from Milwaukee, which hosted three regular season games per season until 1994. After Green Bay moved all home games to Lambeau in 1995, Milwaukee season “Gold” ticket-holders were offered the second and fifth games of the season. On the mornings of those games, Interstate 43 northbound traffic is bumper-to-bumper for 100 miles.

Tens of thousands of fans pour into Green Bay annually to tour the stadium, visit the Packers Hall of Fame, stock up on Packers Pro Shop gear and attend training camp practices. Harlan once watched a car with Texas license plates drive into Lambeau’s parking lot during the off-season. A man emerged, got on his hands and knees and kissed the asphalt.

~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Just another day in Titletown, USA.   Empty Re: Just another day in Titletown, USA.

Post by throttleplate Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 am

HELLO,HELLO,IS ANYBODY OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!,hey sheila,i am starting to think a nuclear bomb went off in the usa and it killed all the board members.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Just another day in Titletown, USA.   Empty Re: Just another day in Titletown, USA.

Post by RagnarLodbrok2 Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the post Sheila.  Most of this is common knowledge to most Packer fans.  The Packers aura hit me in the mid 60's even though I'm a life long resident in New Jersey. Go Figure it !
RagnarLodbrok2
RagnarLodbrok2
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Yep just another day in Titletown (yesterday).   Emerged from another Lambeau Field extravaganza where William Henderson and Antonio Freeman were outside the Stadium View Sunday morning signing autographs in the midst of a band on stage playing stuff like Sweet Emotion, Go Your Own Way, and Already Gone.    The beers were flowing.........one guy from North Dakota was handing out free Bud Lights.  Spotted Cow has become institutionalized in Titletown.  Met quite a few out of towners....besides the New Jersey Jets fans there were Packers fans that came from Europe, Fairbanks Alaska, and even Texas.

Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

RagnarLodbrok2 wrote:Thanks for the post Sheila.  Most of this is common knowledge to most Packer fans.  The Packers aura hit me in the mid 60's even though I'm a life long resident in New Jersey. Go Figure it !

You're welcome and you're right, most of you here probably know all this already.  I of course did not and I found it to be such a nice article, boasting of great team spirit!
My brother-in-law and my nephew are diehard Packer fans and they were both born and raised and still living on Long Island, NY.  Funny the way that works sometimes.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:39 pm

throttleplate wrote:HELLO,HELLO,IS ANYBODY OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!,hey sheila,i am starting to think a nuclear bomb went off in the usa and it killed all the board members.

LOL
I think the AOL boards did a lot of people in!  I wish more would join up here, you Packer fans need more support!  :-)~
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:42 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Yep just another day in Titletown (yesterday).   Emerged from another Lambeau Field extravaganza where William Henderson and Antonio Freeman were outside the Stadium View Sunday morning signing autographs with a band on stage playing stuff like Sweet Emotion, Go Your Own Way, and Already Gone.    The beers were flowing.........one guy from North Dakota was handing out free Bud Lights.  Spotted Cow has become institutionalized in Titletown.  Met quite a few out of towners....beside the New Jersey Jets fans there were Packers fan that came from Europe, Fairbanks Alaska, and even Texas.

That is awesome!  Packer fans seem to be a breed of their own, in a good way of course.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JhnK307 Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:28 pm

The Seattle Seahawks might [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in the NFL, but they don't have the best fans, that honor belongs to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- at least according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
The study ranked the top-10 NFL fan bases using five different criteria, including: hometown reach, television audience rank, stadium attendance, social media rank and merchandise rank.
The social media rank was partly based on the fact that Green Bay has more Twitter followers (703,000) than there are people in the actual city of Green Bay (Just over 300,000). The television ranking was based on Nielsen ratings over the past three years.
The 'hometown reach' metric is 'defined by Nielsen Scarborough as a percentage of the metropolitan area population that watched, attended, and/or listened to a game in the last year.' The Packers ranked No. 1 in that, social media and stadium attendance.
Packers fans also only like to date each other because that's the only explanation for the Packers fan dating site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in April. That did not weigh into the ranking as far as I know.
Forbes only ranked the top-10 fan bases, so there's no way to know if the Jaguars are No. 11 or 32. The AFC and NFC North cleaned up in these rankings, taking four of the 10 spots.
Top-10 NFL Fan Bases
1. Green Bay Packers
2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3. New Orleans Saints
4. New England Patriots
5. Baltimore Ravens
6. Indianapolis Colts
T-7. Dallas Cowboys
T-7. Pittsburgh Steelers
9. Seattle Seahawks
10. Chicago Bears
JhnK307
JhnK307
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by JhnK307 Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

throttleplate wrote:HELLO,HELLO,IS ANYBODY OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!,hey sheila,i am starting to think a nuclear bomb went off in the usa and it killed all the board members.

I was in my bomb shelter when the big one went off.   Maybe me and Sheila are the only survivors !
JhnK307
JhnK307
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 pm

JhnK307 wrote:

I was in my bomb shelter when the big one went off.   Maybe me and Sheila are the only survivors !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]        Where is everybody?
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 pm

milani wrote:
JhnK307 wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]        Where is everybody?

everyone whom got their feelings hurt are staying in their back yard throwing the rock to their little sisters as their mommys said to find new friends whom wont hurt your feelings.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

whose is gonna be the first of the boycotters to post on this site,Duck,HD,JNC? I know with all the views they are lurking,chomping at the bit but no one wants to be the first to break.Just got to find that weak spot on the old boys defense to get them to break.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Nothing is over until we decide it is
When the going gets tough..........the tough get going.
Where's the spirit?........where's the guts?!
Let's DO IT!!!!!!!  TOGA TOGA TOGA TOGA!!!

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RagnarLodbrok2 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

milani wrote:
JhnK307 wrote:

Milani......Did the Clintons stop in to see you ?
RagnarLodbrok2
RagnarLodbrok2
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by RagnarLodbrok2 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

RagnarLodbrok2 wrote:
milani wrote:
JhnK307 wrote:

Hillary Clinton returns to Iowa; so is this a fresh start or deja vu?
RagnarLodbrok2
RagnarLodbrok2
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 pm

RagnarLodbrok2 wrote:
milani wrote:
JhnK307 wrote:

Heck, no! They figure they have our county in the bag. The last time she came here the state had record floods. Now we'll probably go into a drought.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 pm

throttleplate wrote:whose is gonna be the first of the boycotters to post on this site,Duck,HD,JNC? I know with all the views they are lurking,chomping at the bit but no one wants to be the first to break.Just got to find that weak spot on the old boys defense to get them to break.

Any chance they got booted off the board by Admin?  It can happen. On our old board I recall a dude called Seymour who disappeared. Then there were at least 3 or 4 duckovers that I never knew who was who. At least Ringo was always Ringo.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 pm

no,i think the board guy checks on us daily and knows whats up and i still say hurt feelings and a little bit off i will show you that this board sucks without our egos on here writing our 20 paragraph synopsis of the o-line and fatty sucks and some political shit thrown in.

I have nothing personal against the dudes boycotting,i like them all.How can HD not get on here and post about adrian peterson,its right up his alley and a chance to put the dagger in the Wilfs Queens.

Heres a picture of hd,he is asking his mom if he can come in the house and use her computer but she insists he find new friends and stay outside and play with his sister.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:13 pm

LOL.   Boycotting?  Talk to the caretakers to the little bitch throne about that.  I'm simply on a long vaca to the beach...and you'll have to excuse me for the time being if I have better things to do than entertain your shriveled asses...Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 pm

_HD_ wrote:LOL.   Boycotting?  Talk to the caretakers to the little bitch throne about that.  I'm simply on a long vaca to the beach...and you'll have to excuse me for the time being if I have better things to do than entertain your shriveled asses...Cool

Hey........not mine.    Maybe Duck's all shriveled up like an EFFEN dried prune.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Good man, Ringo...   Wink

Duck's just taking a badly needed time out to consider how out of whack with reality his home ass ls had become...   

JnC, on the other hand, is busy soaking his little bitch pussy in Nutrigena effervescence pearl drops bath oil...   They always heal up after a good pounding...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 pm

_HD_ wrote:Good man, Ringo...   Wink

Duck's just taking a badly needed time out to consider how out of whack with reality his home ass ls had become...   

JnC, on the other hand, is busy soaking his little bitch pussy in Nutrigena effervescence pearl drops bath oil...   They always heal up after a good pounding...   Laughing
Still out there winning them votes, huh HD? I'll tell you what, you keep beating that drum and patting yourself on the back and you're likely not to see Duck or JnC in here anytime soon....believe me.

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:20 am

Sorry Thorbait...   I do a lot of things--but drama isn't among them.  More for you to enjoy, eh?   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down