Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

See ya, Sammy

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

See ya, Sammy Empty See ya, Sammy

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Sam Shields will test the market
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
[size=15.199999809265137][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/size]
[size=8.800000190734863]Getty Images[/size]

[size=15.199999809265137]The Packers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with cornerback[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Shields is now ready to negotiate with other teams.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Per a league source, Shields won’t sign with the Packers before March 8, the day on which other teams may contact the agents for players due to become free agents on March 11.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The four-year veteran will test the market before making a decision on his next NFL contract.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The news comes at a time when some think that Shields is close to signing with the Packers.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Undrafted in 2010, Shields has spent four seasons in Green Bay.  He started 14 games in 2013 playing under a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that paid $2.023 million.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The Packers could still use the franchise tag on Shields.  But it would cost them $11.834 million in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on a one-year deal.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Good ol' Drew Rosenhaus.  He shoots himself (and his client) in the foot more often than not with his adversarial approach to negotiation.  This is a gambit that draws a line in the sand saying--we have no give and take.  Either pay us our number are we bring our dog/pony to the next carnival.  It's an approach that should be selectively reserved for those rare situations where you have something the other party doesn't want but needs....desperately...with no other options.  In another words--you have them by the nuts over a barrel.  Hardly the case here.  Greg Jennings thought he had that...and learned the hard way what the reality was.  Now Shields will get his turn.  He just isn't that good.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The Pack should be expected to now pull their best existing contract offer in response--as they obviously don't want to be setting the opening market for Shields in free agency--and replace it with an offer at about exactly half of their former number.  With Jennings--the Pack's final best offer was reportedly $13m/year.  When Jennings (wanting $15m) declined and indicated he'd be bringing it to free agency--the Pack's offer of $13M was appropriately withdrawn and replaced with $8m/yr and he ended up in purple for $9.5...[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Bottom line:   Shields is almost certainly gone.  No matter what happens in free agency, Shields is very unlikely to see the same numbers again from the Pack and, like Jennings, it completes the loop of a complete fail if he were to come back to the Pack for less as a result of electing to go to free agency in an effort to get more.  It's hard to walk with your head high with holes blown in the tops of your feet.  This type of thing is usually the product of a punk-ass negotiator too green or myopic to see the big picture...and they almost always overestimate the bat they bring to the ballgame.   Wink [/size]

Last edited by _HD_ on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

See ya, Sammy Empty Re: See ya, Sammy

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

The numbers are officially in and the Green Bay Packers will have a ton of money to spend this offseason if they so choose.
The NFL Players Association confirmed the salary cap for the 2014 season will be set at $133 million, which puts the Packers roughly $35 million under the cap when the new league year begins on March 11 and free agency starts.

Not too shabby when you consider the organization just unloaded record deals to quarterback Aaron Rodgers and outside linebacker Clay Matthews, who will count about $28 million against the cap next year.

According to Spotrac, which tracks NFL team’s salaries, the Packers are just under $108 million for next season, including the $2.67 million they carry in dead money towards next year’s cap (B.J. Raji’s voided contract based on playing time, Desmond Bishop, Jerron McMillian, Alex Green, D.J. Williams, Terrell Manning and others).

When you subtract the $9.81 the organization carried over from unused cap space in 2013, it gives the organization about $35 million to work with this upcoming season. That’s the sixth-most space in the NFL, according to ESPN.com’s Kevin Seifert.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the Packers are going to go all-in in free agency, though. As the NFLPA outlines:

“Under the current CBA, clubs have minimum cash spending requirements. For the years 2013-2016, Clubs are required to spend an average of 89 percent of the salary cap over the four-year period. League-wide, clubs must spend an average of 95 percent of the salary cap over the four-year period.”

The average carryover in the league was $6.1 million, according to the NFLPA. The Packers spent a little more than 92 percent of their cap last year, so they're in the clear thus far.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:25 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:The numbers are officially in and the Green Bay Packers will have a ton of money to spend this offseason if they so choose.
The NFL Players Association confirmed the salary cap for the 2014 season will be set at $133 million, which puts the Packers roughly $35 million under the cap when the new league year begins on March 11 and free agency starts.

Not too shabby when you consider the organization just unloaded record deals to quarterback Aaron Rodgers and outside linebacker Clay Matthews, who will count about $28 million against the cap next year.

According to Spotrac, which tracks NFL team’s salaries, the Packers are just under $108 million for next season, including the $2.67 million they carry in dead money towards next year’s cap (B.J. Raji’s voided contract based on playing time, Desmond Bishop, Jerron McMillian, Alex Green, D.J. Williams, Terrell Manning and others).

When you subtract the $9.81 the organization carried over from unused cap space in 2013, it gives the organization about $35 million to work with this upcoming season. That’s the sixth-most space in the NFL, according to ESPN.com’s Kevin Seifert.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the Packers are going to go all-in in free agency, though. As the NFLPA outlines:

“Under the current CBA, clubs have minimum cash spending requirements. For the years 2013-2016, Clubs are required to spend an average of 89 percent of the salary cap over the four-year period. League-wide, clubs must spend an average of 95 percent of the salary cap over the four-year period.”

The average carryover in the league was $6.1 million, according to the NFLPA. The Packers spent a little more than 92 percent of their cap last year, so they're in the clear thus far.

Remember when Red McCombs owned the Vikings. He was always at the minimum for using cap space. He was even cheap with his head coach. In 2004 he applied all of Antoine Winfield's signing bonus in one year just to hit the league minimum. That is why they did not have a Jerrod Allen back then. Let's hope Sam does not drift to one of the other teams in the NFC North. If he goes I'd like to see him get to Oakland where he may get to be with Woodson for his last hurrah. Look for TT to draft a top DB or safety in either the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe from Alabama.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:51 pm

milani wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:The numbers are officially in and the Green Bay Packers will have a ton of money to spend this offseason if they so choose.

Remember when Red McCombs owned the Vikings. He was always at the minimum for using cap space. He was even cheap with his head coach. In 2004 he applied all of Antoine Winfield's signing bonus in one year just to hit the league minimum. That is why they did not have a Jerrod Allen back then. Let's hope Sam does not drift to one of the other teams in the NFC North. If he goes I'd like to see him get to Oakland where he may get to be with Woodson for his last hurrah. Look for TT to draft a top DB or safety in either the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe from Alabama.

I liked Rummage Sale Red.  I remember him once saying in his Texas drawl with a wink...  The own-leh thing I own that isn't fer sale is Char-lene.  At least that's what she thinks...    Wink 

I admire a man like Red for two reasons:  One--he's maintained his sense of humor into old age.  Two--he still holds his wife's hand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Yeah, I like Shields, but at our price. He's not elite talent, but if someone else is going to pay him as if he is, then happy trails...

One thing I found interesting is that TT has never let a guy go who has gone on to make the Pro Bowl-not that in itself is a measure of anything significant, but I think that speaks to the fact that one of his strengths as a GM is knowing which guys to let go.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 pm

MB20 wrote:Yeah, I like Shields, but at our price. He's not elite talent, but if someone else is going to pay him as if he is, then happy trails...

One thing I found interesting is that TT has never let a guy go who has gone on to make the Pro Bowl-not that in itself is a measure of anything significant, but I think that speaks to the fact that one of his strengths as a GM is knowing which guys to let go.

I'm not so sure it's a strength, MB.  More like a push, I'd say.  Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones have proven to be nothing but very costly whiffs at this point and Giacomini, Jon Ryan and Jeremy Ross are players who immediately come to mind who are winning games for other teams because of poor judgment as to their viability.  There are others.  In addition, if Greg Jennings hadn't saved his ass by being a moron we'd have a nice big close to $20M/year prorated additional hole blown in our cap the next three years.

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 pm

_HD_ wrote:
MB20 wrote:Yeah, I like Shields, but at our price. He's not elite talent, but if someone else is going to pay him as if he is, then happy trails...

I'm not so sure it's a strength, MB.  More like a push, I'd say.  Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones have proven to be nothing but very costly whiffs at this point and Giacomini, Jon Ryan and Jeremy Ross are players who immediately come to mind who are winning games for other teams because of poor judgment as to their viability.  There are others.  In addition, if Greg Jennings hadn't saved his ass by being a moron we'd have a nice big close to $20M/year prorated additional hole blown in our cap the next three years.
Fucking server ate my reply

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Well Well Well.................TT broke the EFFEN EFFEN EFFEN bank !!    $12M signing bonus.........where's the party?!?!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] have re-signed cornerback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to a four-year, $39 million deal that includes a signing bonus of $12.5 million, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
A source told Schefter that Shields will earn $30 million over the first three seasons -- $15 million in the first year, $6 million in the second year, and $9 million in the third year.
Shields' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, announced the deal on Twitter:

Congrats to RSR client Sam Shields & the Green Bay Packers on the new contract!
- Drew Rosenhaus (@RosenhausSports) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Last season, Shields emerged as the Packers' top cover cornerback while playing for the restricted free-agent tender of $2.023 million.
The former undrafted free agent, who was a receiver for most of his college career at Miami, tied his career high with four interceptions in 14 games, including a game-changing pick in the Week 15 win over the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Once viewed as just as speed corner, he has turned into a well-rounded player who often was given the assignment of covering the opponent's best receiver.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 pm

In real dollars, it is reported that Shields will count as just 5.6 mill against the cap this season.

Personally, I'm glad we locked him into a 4-year deal. He's only 26 and was far and away the best player in the GB defensive backfield last year.

The young man earned his payday.

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Unfuckingbelievable...  A front-loaded $40 over 4 years for Sam fucking Shields?!  

I really started to wonder if TT was in decline and time to retire when he offered Greg Jennings $13M/year...but this is just flat out beyond the confines of reason to pony up this type of scratch for a merely good but never great player who relies primarily on a generally short-lived quality (speed) to even be that...

Too bad Murphy didn't pull a Favre on TT and move him out when the better, younger GM (Schneider) was ready...   This dude is just plain over-the-hill.

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Week 15, 4th quarter, Cowboy game.

'nuff said.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 pm

JnC4GB wrote:In real dollars, it is reported that Shields will count as just 5.6 mill against the cap this season.

Personally, I'm glad we locked him into a 4-year deal. He's only 26 and was far and away the best player in the GB defensive backfield last year.

The young man earned his payday.

This young man earned his payday?  LOL!  Weren't you the one just very recently maligning him for pulling a Gabe Wilkins and abandoning his team in deference to his own selfish payday motives?  And now--that it has apparently succeeded--you APPLAUD it?   Laughing 

You've become unsharper in the off-season, Darren...   Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 pm

If this contract had gone to BJ Raji I'd be right there with you, HD.

More than it should be? Probably. but he would've gotten something along the same lines somewhere else. Plays well. Got better each season. Only 26. Gaping hole if he left.

Thompson did what he had to do, AND stuck with his credo of paying HIS guys. I can see disagreeing...but this ain't a pull your hair out moment.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:29 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Week 15, 4th quarter, Cowboy game.

'nuff said.

No more than one little smile from across the room and ten later you're reaching back with both hands to pull 'em wide, eh?  Why you little whore...   Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:30 pm

_HD_ wrote:Unfuckingbelievable...  A front-loaded $40 over 4 years for Sam fucking Shields?!  

I really started to wonder if TT was in decline and time to retire when he offered Greg Jennings $13M/year...but this is just flat out beyond the confines of reason to pony up this type of scratch for a merely good but never great player who relies primarily on a generally short-lived quality (speed) to even be that...

Too bad Murphy didn't pull a Favre on TT and move him out when the better, younger GM (Schneider) was ready...   This dude is just plain over-the-hill.
This was the thought I had when I heard TT offered Raji $8MM, but I think this is a very solid signing. His stats against #1 receivers in 2013 were pretty insane; against guys like Josh Gordon, AJ Green, Megatron, Crabtree, and a couple of others that I'm not thinking of right now, he allowed something like 8 receptions for 130 yards and 1 TD. He's young, he's fast, he's still learning, and he's learning how to hit, too. I think between all that and the fact that the cap is expected to substantially increase before the end of this contract, this deal will prove to be worth it.

And we'll see exactly how great Schneider is when it's his guys' turn to be paid.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Fair point. I didn't like that at all...if that is what he did.

But I sure understand it. 
If 40 million dollars hung in the balance, when push came to shove I might've chosen discretion over valor as well.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:50 pm

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:Unfuckingbelievable...  A front-loaded $40 over 4 years for Sam fucking Shields?!  

This was the thought I had when I heard TT offered Raji $8MM, but I think this is a very solid signing. His stats against #1 receivers in 2013 were pretty insane; against guys like Josh Gordon, AJ Green, Megatron, Crabtree, and a couple of others that I'm not thinking of right now, he allowed something like 8 receptions for 130 yards and 1 TD. He's young, he's fast, he's still learning, and he's learning how to hit, too. I think between all that and the fact that the cap is expected to substantially increase before the end of this contract, this deal will prove to be worth it.

And we'll see exactly how great Schneider is when it's his guys' turn to be paid.

Purely from a negotiating standpoint--Rosenhaus raped TT on this one...  He smelled the desperation in the air and played the alfredo tool like a bleached rabbitt.  4 years--not 5 with $30 in the first 3--this is ALL set up for Drew baby to come back in and leverage the fact that poor Sam is only making a $5M salary looking forward at the end of season 2 of the contract and it's time to pull a Revis...  Wait/see...   Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:59 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Fair point. I didn't like that at all...if that is what he did.

But I sure understand it. 
If 40 million dollars hung in the balance, when push came to shove I might've chosen discretion over valor as well.

Very well.  The honesty is appreciated....

Ray Nitschke would like his avatar back...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 pm

MB20 wrote:

It COULD turn out to be a good value--sure...but this deal absolutely REAKS of desperation on the part of TT and was wholly imprudent in the sense that the asset has NEVER produced the output to cost justify it's acquisition at anything close to these numbers.  It all banks on a big long stroke of maybe...  As such the risk/reward is WAY skewed away from this deal ever turning out to be a good value--thus a wise move...  I still fucking can't believe it.  The SECOND HIGHEST PAID corner in the entire fucking league--Sam Shields?!   Let me know when the albino ass-munch retires.  He's gonna be a bag-holder on this one--unless Shields does something that is just unforeseeable for him to do...and that's just plain stupid...

However, some may question whether this deal was fair and that general manager Ted Thompson may have overpaid for Shields, considering the other needs this team needs to address in the offseason.

The Packers certainly did give Shields a generous contract. With that contract, he will be the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in the league, according to Demovsky, with only Darrelle Revis making more money. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Sam Shields will test the market
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
[size=15.199999809265137][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/size]
[size=8.800000190734863]Getty Images[/size]

[size=15.199999809265137]The Packers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with cornerback[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  Shields is now ready to negotiate with other teams.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Per a league source, Shields won’t sign with the Packers before March 8, the day on which other teams may contact the agents for players due to become free agents on March 11.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The four-year veteran will test the market before making a decision on his next NFL contract.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The news comes at a time when some think that Shields is close to signing with the Packers.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Undrafted in 2010, Shields has spent four seasons in Green Bay.  He started 14 games in 2013 playing under a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that paid $2.023 million.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The Packers could still use the franchise tag on Shields.  But it would cost them $11.834 million in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on a one-year deal.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Good ol' Drew Rosenhaus.  He shoots himself (and his client) in the foot more often than not with his adversarial approach to negotiation.  This is a gambit that draws a line in the sand saying--we have no give and take.  Either pay us our number are we bring our dog/pony to the next carnival.  It's an approach that should be selectively reserved for those rare situations where you have something the other party doesn't want butneeds....desperately...with no other options.  In another words--you have them by the nuts over a barrel.  Hardly the case here. [/size]
[size]

Bravo to Rosenhaus.  He played whitey like a strombone on this one and got everything he wanted...   Laughing 

[/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:07 pm

_HD_ wrote:
MB20 wrote:

Purely from a negotiating standpoint--Rosenhaus raped TT on this one...  He smelled the desperation in the air and played the alfredo tool like a bleached rabbitt.  4 years--not 5 with $30 in the first 3--this is ALL set up for Drew baby to come back in and leverage the fact that poor Sam is only making a $5M salary looking forward at the end of season 2 of the contract and it's time to pull a Revis...  Wait/see...   Cool 
Yeah, I don't disagree on that. But it had gotten to the point where if the Pack wanted to keep Shields, they were either going to have to set the market or have someone else set it for them. Rosenhaus did well, no question. But Brent Grimes, who IMO for the next 4 years has less of an upside than Shields, got 4/32. And halfway through this deal (and perhaps as soon as the end of free agency), Shields will not be the second highest-paid CB. I think Shields is overpaid, but not as overpaid as it appears at first blush.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:43 am

HD is right in that Rosenhaus overwhelmingly won the negotiating battle. It's hard to believe he got the albino to pony up that kind of money for anyone not named Clay or Aaron. It's clear that Rosie understood that TT had penciled in Shields as one of the cornerstones of the defensive rebuilding process and TT couldn't extract his nuts from his vice grip.

However, overpaid or not, let's look at what we're getting in Shields. JnC covered most of it. First and foremost, the guy has speed. God knows we need that on our D. He's shown he can cover the top receivers in the league. His tackling and technique have vastly improved over the years. He's young and on the cusp of becoming an elite corner.

Sam Shields is also a shining example of a success in the draft-and-develop system. TT picked him up for peanuts as an undrafted free agent and he has continued to develop into the blossoming star he is now. Rightly or wrongly, TT overpaid him in part to validate his system.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:07 pm

MB wroteit had gotten to the point where if the Pack wanted to keep Shields, they were either going to have to set the market or have someone else set it for them. Rosenhaus did well, no question. But Brent Grimes, who IMO for the next 4 years has less of an upside than Shields, got 4/32. And halfway through this deal (and perhaps as soon as the end of free agency), Shields will not be the second highest-paid CB. I think Shields is overpaid, but not as overpaid as it appears at first blush.

^
THIS

Had Thompson dug in his heels and let Shields walk rather than potentially overpay for him it would've been a classic case of winning a battle but losing the war.

Any real fan cares more about the product on the field than the yearly financial statement (which the Packers always do well with anyway). As long as the Packers field a competitive team I don't care if Rosenhaus rapes Thompson from now until the Vikings win a Super Bowl i.e., infinity. The "heh, heh, we really screwed over that player" POV holds no interest for me. Having Shields rather than NOT having Shields does.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Had Hayward and House been on the field and done just a few Woodson like feats last year TT would have gladly said sayonara. But when the secondary is maybe our weakest link he had little choice but to knuckle under. Just wonder how this will rub off on the rest of the Not Ready For Prime Time Packers.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 pm

JnC4GB wrote:MB wroteit had gotten to the point where if the Pack wanted to keep Shields, they were either going to have to set the market or have someone else set it for them. Rosenhaus did well, no question. But Brent Grimes, who IMO for the next 4 years has less of an upside than Shields, got 4/32. And halfway through this deal (and perhaps as soon as the end of free agency), Shields will not be the second highest-paid CB. I think Shields is overpaid, but not as overpaid as it appears at first blush.

^
THIS

Had Thompson dug in his heels and let Shields walk rather than potentially overpay for him it would've been a classic case of winning a battle but losing the war.

Any real fan cares more about the product on the field than the yearly financial statement (which the Packers always do well with anyway). As long as the Packers field a competitive team I don't care if Rosenhaus rapes Thompson from now until the Vikings win a Super Bowl i.e., infinity. The "heh, heh, we really screwed over that player" POV holds no interest for me. Having Shields rather than NOT having Shields does.

Ah, but the two are related.  You cannot field a competitive team if you consistently overpay above market value.

The good news for us is that in general the albino is very frugal and an occasional splurge won't kill us.  Going into this offseason he had a lot of cap room to work with.

Even though I wish the price had been cheaper, I'm glad he's targeted Shields as a core player.  I think that is a wise decision.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next