Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defense Defense !!

+2
ffaralli
RingoCStarrQB
6 posters

Go down

Defense Defense !! Empty Defense Defense !!

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 am

From Packersnews.com:

Like everyone else, Joe Whitt noticed something different about Tramon Williams following the Green Bay Packers’ 27-13 loss to the New York Giants on Nov. 17.  The Packers had fallen, but Williams had eight tackles, blanketed Hakeem Nicks and grabbed his first interception in 23 games.

Two weeks later against Detroit, Williams stole another. Two weeks after that, he sealed a 37-36 win over Dallas with a game-ending pick. In Sunday’s 33-28 win over Chicago, he forced a fumble of Alshon Jeffery.

Whitt, the fifth year cornerbacks coach, has been pelted with inquiries in recent years about whether or not Williams could revert back to his 2010 Pro Bowl form. For the coach’s money, that’s the level Williams has been playing to for the past month.

“Everybody asks me about the 2010 Tramon – that’s what you’re seeing,” Whitt said. “He played no better in 2010 than he’s played since the New York game. That’s what he is right now. That’s what everybody has been waiting for.”

Since Week 11, Williams is fifth in the NFL with interceptions (three) while contributing 11 pass deflections, 2½ sacks and two forced fumbles this season.

Questions about lingering nerve damage from the 2011 season have been silenced behind his career-high 83 tackles. He’s not a Pro Bowler – Williams and Sam Shields are both alternates – but he’s helped stabilize the Packers’ secondary over the past month.

For all the issues the Packers have had on run defense and in pressuring the quarterback, defensive coordinator Dom Capers feels having Williams on the perimeter has been the Packers’ best chance, particularly in a six-defensive back dime package that’s operating at maximum efficiency.

It’s one reason why the Packers feel they’re better prepared for the 49ers than they were in Week 1 when Colin Kaepernick threw for 412 yards and three touchdowns, and receiver Anquan Boldin finished with 13 catches for 208 yards.

“We’ve had a little more of a group working together there now, which has been a little bit of an issue there for us now in terms of we’ve had a lot of moving parts, but our dime has been pretty consistent,” Capers said. “I think we’ve kind of gotten a unit that’s working together. The number of repetitions they’ve gotten has paid dividends. Our third-down defense has been one of the better things, which is extremely important and will be very important on Sunday.”It will be on Williams and Shields to stop Anquan Boldin from having another huge day, but rookie Micah Hyde and Jarrett Bush will be looked to contain tight end Vernon Davis, who had 98 yards and two scores in the opener and is considered the ignition to the 49ers’ offense..

Kaepernick didn’t come close to matching that production the rest of the season and there’s a chance the 49ers could revert to the heavy run-option looks they threw at the Packers in last year’s NFC divisional playoffs.

Still, the Packers’ secondary believes it’s ready for whatever is thrown at them. From Whitt’s perspective, he just hopes Williams or someone will be near to pick it off.

The defense finished with only 11 interceptions this year, but seven of those came in the last five weeks of the season.

“We need them,” said Whitt of turnovers. “I want to say Sam leads the postseason franchise in takeaways. He’s tied with it, I believe. If he gets one more he’ll lead it. Tramon has had success. Jarrett has had success in the postseason before. We need it. It’s that simple. We need them and we’re going to get them.”
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Defense Defense !! Empty Re: Defense Defense !!

Post by ffaralli Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 am

I've thought Williams has played well the last half of the season.

In general, so has Shields, even though he still gets burned occasionally. But who knows it may be the safety screwing up.

The big play issue really falls on the safeties for the most part....ok our line has been a sieve since November, but our safeties suck.  I'm not sold on Burnett at all.

MD Jennings should have been cut with McMillian.

You mean we could not pick up a veteran off the waiver wire to play better than MD?

Jury is still out on Richardson, kids tough and sticks his head in there on tackles.....he's seems pretty good around the line of scrimmage.

Not sure on his pass defense yet.

I expect the 49ers to attack us through the air in the mid-deep middle of the field.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 am

I am expecting the worst,maybe over by middle of 3rd quarter and fans will be heading to their cars to crank up the heat
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 am

ffaralli wrote:I've thought Williams has played well the last half of the season.

In general, so has Shields, even though he still gets burned occasionally. But who knows it may be the safety screwing up.

The big play issue really falls on the safeties for the most part....ok our line has been a sieve since November, but our safeties suck.  I'm not sold on Burnett at all.

You mean we could not pick up a veteran off the waiver wire to play better than MD?

Jury is still out on Richardson, kids tough and sticks his head in there on tackles.....he's seems pretty good around the line of scrimmage.

I expect the 49ers to attack us through the air in the mid-deep middle of the field.

FF

I know Kerry Rhodes is being unofficially blackballed for his alleged sexual orientation, but fuck... that guy could have been a huge improvement back there. I also don't understand why TT didn't make a strong effort to pry Byrd away from Buffalo- he's likely out of Buffalo at the end of the year and despite being hurt early in the season, he was a second-team All-Pro.

Bottom line is that this defense is horrible up the middle from front to back, and no defense can survive that deficiency.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:39 am

MB20 wrote:
ffaralli wrote:I've thought Williams has played well the last half of the season.

FF

I know Kerry Rhodes is being unofficially blackballed for his alleged sexual orientation, but fuck... that guy could have been a huge improvement back there. I also don't understand why TT didn't make a strong effort to pry Byrd away from Buffalo- he's likely out of Buffalo at the end of the year and despite being hurt early in the season, he was a second-team All-Pro.

Bottom line is that this defense is horrible up the middle from front to back, and no defense can survive that deficiency.

It's a matter of whether this defense is worse than our 2011 team or our 2004 team. Both were pretty bad front to back but had a few play makers. I am so impressed watching these bowl games and seeing safeties and corners who hit RBs and receivers so hard and get right back up to do it again. You think we could find players like that who come to play a physical brand of football and can take it.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:13 pm

FF

It seems to me the mid-deep middle of the field is where most teams successfully attack us.  I'm not exactly sure why but I have two theories.  1) It's that sweet spot where the cornerbacks turn over responsibility for their guy to the safeties... and as we all know our safeties suck.  2) Other coaches anticipate Capers' vaunted blitz packages and since the blitzes don't often enough get home, the middle of the field is open because we've vacated a pass defender to go after the QB.

In any case, I think we all agree that our defense is our achilles heel.  There's no way we will advance very far, if at all, in the playoffs with this group.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 pm

duck wrote:

FF

It seems to me the mid-deep middle of the field is where most teams successfully attack us.  I'm not exactly sure why but I have two theories.  1) It's that sweet spot where the cornerbacks turn over responsibility for their guy to the safeties... and as we all know our safeties suck.  2) Other coaches anticipate Capers' vaunted blitz packages and since the blitzes don't often enough get home, the middle of the field is open because we've vacated a pass defender to go after the QB.

In any case, I think we all agree that our defense is our achilles heel.  There's no way we will advance very far, if at all, in the playoffs with this group.
Just have to go back to the defensive drawing board after this season like we have the last two.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down