Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is why...

+4
KBen
JnC4GB
milani
duck
8 posters

Go down

This is why... Empty This is why...

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 am

...young hotties should never waste their time on cockney douchebags (or any other type)...  Cool 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

This is why... Empty Re: This is why...

Post by duck Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

_HD_ wrote:...young hotties should never waste their time on cockney douchebags (or any other type)...  Cool 

Don't get me going on this subject.  I cringe at the level of distracted driving in our gadget-infatuated culture.  It used to be if you noticed someone weaving or reacting slowly, you'd assume he was drunk; now you figure he's on his phone.  At the risk of over-generalizing here, women are worse than men... and teenage girls are the absolute worst.

I've already been rear-ended by a driver who was texting.  True story.  I was stopped at a stop light two blocks from my house when all of a sudden... BOOM!  The asshole just plowed into me at 25-30 mph without stopping.  He popped out of his car, phone in hand, and said something to the effect of "my bad... are you alright?"  Oh, no problem, what's a little whiplash and a totaled car?  At least the guy had insurance.

When I ride my bike and come up to stop signs and stop lights, etc., because I'm up higher I get to look down into into cars.  I would estimate that 15-20% of all drivers are fiddling with their phone.  It's an addiction, I tell you.  People just can't put their little toys down.  Like that text is really, really important... or that sports score can't wait.

IMHO, cell phones are arguably the worst thing that's happened to humanity since the atomic bomb.  They're addictive, they create a culture of dependency that is obsessed with the immediacy of information, they are completely destroying many important social fabrics... and they are literally killing people on the roads.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:...young hotties should never waste their time on cockney douchebags (or any other type)...  Cool 

Don't get me going on this subject.  I cringe at the level of distracted driving in our gadget-infatuated culture.  It used to be if you noticed someone weaving or reacting slowly, you'd assume he was drunk; now you figure he's on his phone.  At the risk of over-generalizing here, women are worse than men... and teenage girls are the absolute worst.

I've already been rear-ended by a driver who was texting.  True story.  I was stopped at a stop light two blocks from my house when all of a sudden... BOOM!  The asshole just plowed into me at 25-30 mph without stopping.  He popped out of his car, phone in hand, and said something to the effect of "my bad... are you alright?"  Oh, no problem, what's a little whiplash and a totaled car?  At least the guy had insurance.

When I ride my bike and come up to stop signs and stop lights, etc., because I'm up higher I get to look down into into cars.  I would estimate that 15-20% of all drivers are fiddling with their phone.  It's an addiction, I tell you.  People just can't put their little toys down.  Like that text is really, really important... or that sports score can't wait.

IMHO, cell phones are arguably the worst thing that's happened to humanity since the atomic bomb.  They're addictive, they create a culture of dependency that is obsessed with the immediacy of information, they are completely destroying many important social fabrics... and they are literally killing people on the roads.
Right on, Duck. How I miss phone booths.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:43 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:

Secret agent Milani hard at work.  Very Happy    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm

SOOOOOOO annoying.

Neither of my kids (20 &17) have watched a television show without fucking around with their phone in YEARS. The only thing they watch with 100% attention is movies shown at a theater as they're not into the whole public shaming thing.

Speaking of which, I just read that Maddona was at some NY film festival the other day to see "12 Years a Slave" and was texting the entire time. Finally some usher asked her to put it away and she turned and loudly hissed at him, "It's businezzzzzz, you slave oppressor!"

I kid you not. This really happened.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:29 pm

JnC4GB wrote:SOOOOOOO annoying.

Neither of my kids (20 &17) have watched a television show without fucking around with their phone in YEARS. The only thing they watch with 100% attention is movies shown at a theater as they're not into the whole public shaming thing.

Speaking of which, I just read that Maddona was at some NY film festival the other day to see "12 Years a Slave" and was texting the entire time. Finally some usher asked her to put it away and she turned and loudly hissed at him, "It's businezzzzzz, you slave oppressor!"

LOL!  She was just trying to prove in her own way that she was paying attention and held empathy for the slaves.  It takes a special man to handle a bitch like that...but their shit can be tamed...  Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm tellin' ya straight up--I'd have to write a rather large check to get out of jail on bond if someone did that to me...  There are some days I'm 3 degrees off road rage merely because I have to share the road with fucking PT Cruiser drivers...  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm

There's definitely a generational difference in the way people relate to their phones.  The young ones revere them slavishly.

Oh, and fuck Madonna.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:52 pm

_HD_ wrote:I've already been rear-ended by a driver who was texting.  True story.  I was stopped at a stop light two blocks from my house when all of a sudden... BOOM!  The asshole just plowed into me at 25-30 mph without stopping.  He popped out of his car, phone in hand, and said something to the effect of "my bad... are you alright?"  Oh, no problem, what's a little whiplash and a totaled car?  At least the guy had insurance.

I'm tellin' ya straight up--I'd have to write a rather large check to get out of jail on bond if someone did that to me...  There are some days I'm 3 degrees off road rage merely because I have to share the road with fucking PT Cruiser drivers...  Laughing 
I hear ya, HD.  I considered decking this guy.  However, at that point I was in shock... and worried that there might be some damage to my neck.  (Luckily, it turned out, there wasn't.)
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Duck: 
 I was in shock... and worried that there might be some damage to my neck.  (Luckily, it turned out, there wasn't.)

The brain, however... Rolling Eyes
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:28 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Duck: 
 I was in shock... and worried that there might be some damage to my neck.  (Luckily, it turned out, there wasn't.)

The brain, however... Rolling Eyes

After what I subjected it to in the 70's, my brain is battle-tested.  Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

duck wrote:

There's definitely a generational difference in the way people relate to their phones.  The young ones revere them slavishly.

Oh, and fuck Madonna.
That's the spirit...and this here should hit the spot right nicely for ya  Wink

KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm

KBen wrote:
duck wrote:

Oh, and fuck Madonna.

LOL! 
I was all 'Wow, that chick does an AWESOME Madonna. She just fucking NAILS it"

Then I find out it WAS Madonna. Interesting thing about that broad, just when I think I'm in complete. 100% contempt of her she goes and does something kinda fucking awesome. Been that way from the start with her...scratch
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:

Yep, the phone booth and the dime it used to take!
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:22 pm

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

Secret agent Milani hard at work.  Very Happy    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LOL!  I so wasn't expecting that! 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Phone etiquette by many is long gone, unfortunately. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:I've already been rear-ended by a driver who was texting.  True story.  I was stopped at a stop light two blocks from my house when all of a sudden... BOOM!  The asshole just plowed into me at 25-30 mph without stopping.  He popped out of his car, phone in hand, and said something to the effect of "my bad... are you alright?"  Oh, no problem, what's a little whiplash and a totaled car?  At least the guy had insurance.

I hear ya, HD.  I considered decking this guy.  However, at that point I was in shock... and worried that there might be some damage to my neck.  (Luckily, it turned out, there wasn't.)
Glad you are okay.
My brother was rear ended at a red light by a girl who was texting.  His Vette was totaled and he ended up with a neck injury, had surgery and is still in pain. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm

KBen wrote:
duck wrote:

Oh, and fuck Madonna.

Haha...this was great!
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:58 pm

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

I asked you not to tell me that, 99!
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

This is why... Empty Cell Phone addiction

Post by ffaralli Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm

I teach a class as an adjunct faculty member at a local community college.

You should see these kids with their cell phones. They are supposed to have them off in the classrooms, but they don't always.

Another instructor has a sign up in the front of my classroom that says 

"If I see you in your seat looking down and smiling, I know you are texting, because no one looks down at their crotch and smiles."

Another big issue with these millennials is the fact that they cannot concentrate for more that 10-15 minutes at a time. I believe all these electronic gizmos with their sounds and movements and colors have so captivated them that they have problems concentrating long term on most other things, like sitting and reading a book for several hours that we all had to do while in college.  Paying attention for most of a 3 hour lecture. Again, not all of them, but the clear majority of them. And there's more.

Jean Twenge, the author of the 2006 book Generation Me, considers Millennials along with younger Gen Xers to be part of what she calls "Generation Me".  Twenge attributes confidence and tolerance to the Millennials but also a sense  of entitlement and narcissism based on personality surveys that showed increasing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] among Millennials compared to preceding generations when they were teens and in their twenties. She questions the predictions by authors Strauss and Howe that this generation will come out civic-minded. 

William A. Draves and Julie Coates, authors of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], write that Millennials have distinctly different behaviors, values and attitudes from previous generations as a response to the technological and economic implications of the Internet.

In 2008, author Ron Alsop called Millennials "Trophy Kids," a term that reflects the trend in competitive sports, as well as many other aspects of life, where mere participation is frequently enough for a reward. It has been reported that this is an issue in corporate environments. Some employers are concerned that Millennials have too great expectations from the workplace. Studies predict that Generation Y will switch jobs frequently, holding many more jobs than [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] due to their great expectations.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm

ffaralli wrote:I teach a class as an adjunct faculty member at a local community college.

You should see these kids with their cell phones. They are supposed to have them off in the classrooms, but they don't always.

Another instructor has a sign up in the front of my classroom that says 

"If I see you in your seat looking down and smiling, I know you are texting, because no one looks down at their crotch and smiles."

Another big issue with these millennials is the fact that they cannot concentrate for more that 10-15 minutes at a time. I believe all these electronic gizmos with their sounds and movements and colors have so captivated them that they have problems concentrating long term on most other things, like sitting and reading a book for several hours that we all had to do while in college.  Paying attention for most of a 3 hour lecture. Again, not all of them, but the clear majority of them. And there's more.

Jean Twenge, the author of the 2006 book Generation Me, considers Millennials along with younger Gen Xers to be part of what she calls "Generation Me".  Twenge attributes confidence and tolerance to the Millennials but also a sense  of entitlement and narcissism based on personality surveys that showed increasing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] among Millennials compared to preceding generations when they were teens and in their twenties. She questions the predictions by authors Strauss and Howe that this generation will come out civic-minded. 

William A. Draves and Julie Coates, authors of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], write that Millennials have distinctly different behaviors, values and attitudes from previous generations as a response to the technological and economic implications of the Internet.

In 2008, author Ron Alsop called Millennials "Trophy Kids," a term that reflects the trend in competitive sports, as well as many other aspects of life, where mere participation is frequently enough for a reward. It has been reported that this is an issue in corporate environments. Some employers are concerned that Millennials have too great expectations from the workplace. Studies predict that Generation Y will switch jobs frequently, holding many more jobs than [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] due to their great expectations.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FF

We touched on this in a different way a couple of weeks ago.   Millennials..........GenXers..........whatever.   The work ethic is not like it used to be.    Sorry to say that and see that ...... but that is indeed the case.   Work late?   Work the weekend?   Are you kidding me?
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I couldn't agree more. They're nice to have in case of emergency but in all honestly I wish they didn't exist. We did find a way to live our lives before cell phones. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say..."My life is on my phone." Sad. 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
duck wrote:

Glad you are okay.
My brother was rear ended at a red light by a girl who was texting.  His Vette was totaled and he ended up with a neck injury, had surgery and is still in pain. 
Sorry to hear that, Sheila.  Hope your brother gets better.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:16 pm

CatalinaMinx wrote:IMHO, cell phones are arguably the worst thing that's happened to humanity since the atomic bomb.  They're addictive, they create a culture of dependency that is obsessed with the immediacy of information, they are completely destroying many important social fabrics... and they are literally killing people on the roads.

I couldn't agree more. They're nice to have in case of emergency but in all honestly I wish they didn't exist. We did find a way to live our lives before cell phones. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say..."My life is on my phone." Sad. 

Yup.  It makes me sick to see so many people fiddling with their phones.  I often want to go up to strangers, rip their phones from their hands and just smash them into little bits.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 pm

duck wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
duck wrote:

Glad you are okay.
Sorry to hear that, Sheila.  Hope your brother gets better.
Thank you and me too! 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum