Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthews thumb...

3 posters

Go down

Matthews thumb... Empty Matthews thumb...

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:48 pm

A source confirmed a report from Matthews' occasional workout partner, Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, that the linebacker had suffered a Bennett's fracture. Surgery was performed Monday night at an undisclosed location and Matthews will miss around three to four weeks, according to coach Mike McCarthy.
A Bennett's fracture, named after Irish surgeon Edward Hallaran Bennett, who first described it in 1882, is an injury that occurs at the base of the thumb where the first metacarpal bone attaches to the hand. The bone breaks away from the joint, leaving behind a fragment that remains attached to one of the ligaments forming the thumb joint.
Outside of sports, the injury is often found among people who have hit someone or something with their fist, creating tremendous force down the shaft of the thumb and into the joint. In Matthews' case, the injury occurred during a sack of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, either as he swatted his right hand on the takedown or at the end of the play when he landed on the ground.
"It's a very painful injury," Callahan said. "It's not really that you couldn't play with it, but it's one of the things where you aren't going to play very well. You're not going to want to shove your hand in there. You're not going to be aggressive with it."
According to Richard A. Berger, a professor of hand surgery and chair of the division of hand surgery at the Mayo Clinic, the most critical part of the repair is making sure a smooth surface exists when the first metacarpal is reattached to the remaining fragment.
If the two pieces aren't perfectly aligned, the prospects for arthritis occurring in the joint are great.
"We want that (fracture) to be anatomically reduced as much as possible with the hope that will allow it to heal," Berger said. "If these are too far apart from one another, the bone surfaces won't be in contact with each other properly and it may not heal. We call that a non-union.
"And the other thing, we want it to heal so that the bone is positioned correctly and not rotated in a funny direction, but also to preserve the joint surface that it doesn't get worn away because there's a big step off in there."
The surgery generally consists of a plate, screws or pins drilled into the first metacarpal and the fragment to form the union of the two pieces. Glazer reported that pins were used in the surgery Matthews had.
These pins, also known as "K-wire", are drilled through the skin and into the two pieces of bone so they are held together in proper union. Typically, the wires stick out of the skin until the bone is healed and then they are removed.

Now that I read more about what exactly the extent of Matthews injury was--their claim of his being out *3-4 weeks* is good laughs...  Not a chance...

When I was 10 years old--I slammed the hood of a Pontiac Bonneville on my thumb and had *K-wire* pins sticking through the bone and out the skin and I'm here to tell you--that boy won't be throwing on the cleats any time soon...  You even touch those pins--and your world is rocked in pain...  I won't even get into the strength you lose in that arm through not using it for anything in a month...

Back to top Go down

Matthews thumb... Empty Re: Matthews thumb...

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 pm

_HD_ wrote:A source confirmed a report from Matthews' occasional workout partner, Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, that the linebacker had suffered a Bennett's fracture. Surgery was performed Monday night at an undisclosed location and Matthews will miss around three to four weeks, according to coach Mike McCarthy.
A Bennett's fracture, named after Irish surgeon Edward Hallaran Bennett, who first described it in 1882, is an injury that occurs at the base of the thumb where the first metacarpal bone attaches to the hand. The bone breaks away from the joint, leaving behind a fragment that remains attached to one of the ligaments forming the thumb joint.
Outside of sports, the injury is often found among people who have hit someone or something with their fist, creating tremendous force down the shaft of the thumb and into the joint. In Matthews' case, the injury occurred during a sack of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, either as he swatted his right hand on the takedown or at the end of the play when he landed on the ground.
"It's a very painful injury," Callahan said. "It's not really that you couldn't play with it, but it's one of the things where you aren't going to play very well. You're not going to want to shove your hand in there. You're not going to be aggressive with it."
According to Richard A. Berger, a professor of hand surgery and chair of the division of hand surgery at the Mayo Clinic, the most critical part of the repair is making sure a smooth surface exists when the first metacarpal is reattached to the remaining fragment.
If the two pieces aren't perfectly aligned, the prospects for arthritis occurring in the joint are great.
"We want that (fracture) to be anatomically reduced as much as possible with the hope that will allow it to heal," Berger said. "If these are too far apart from one another, the bone surfaces won't be in contact with each other properly and it may not heal. We call that a non-union.
"And the other thing, we want it to heal so that the bone is positioned correctly and not rotated in a funny direction, but also to preserve the joint surface that it doesn't get worn away because there's a big step off in there."
The surgery generally consists of a plate, screws or pins drilled into the first metacarpal and the fragment to form the union of the two pieces. Glazer reported that pins were used in the surgery Matthews had.
These pins, also known as "K-wire", are drilled through the skin and into the two pieces of bone so they are held together in proper union. Typically, the wires stick out of the skin until the bone is healed and then they are removed.

Now that I read more about what exactly the extent of Matthews injury was--their claim of his being out *3-4 weeks* is good laughs...  Not a chance...

When I was 10 years old--I slammed the hood of a Pontiac Bonneville on my thumb and had *K-wire* pins sticking through the bone and out the skin and I'm here to tell you--that boy won't be throwing on the cleats any time soon...  You even touch those pins--and your world is rocked in pain...  I won't even get into the strength you lose in that arm through not using it for anything in a month...
Yo buddy, i'm sure you were a serious badass at 10 years old, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Mathews has a little more pain tolerance and "want to" than you did back then. Pretty sure you didn't have the Dr Feelgood that Clay has either.

Not that your mom's kisses to your boo-boo's weren't awesome. I sure they were. In fact, Ringo says they're still pretty good. Cool
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:53 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote:A source confirmed a report from Matthews' occasional workout partner, Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, that the linebacker had suffered a Bennett's fracture. Surgery was performed Monday night at an undisclosed location and Matthews will miss around three to four weeks, according to coach Mike McCarthy.

Yo buddy, i'm sure you were a serious badass at 10 years old, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Mathews has a little more pain tolerance and "want to" than you did back then. Pretty sure you didn't have the Dr Feelgood that Clay has either.

Not that your mom's kisses to your boo-boo's weren't awesome. I sure they were. In fact, Ringo says they're still pretty good. Cool

Exactamundo, Jnc.  Matthews will be back soon.  I guarantee it.  

The NFL has some wonderful painkillers.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:41 pm

funny thing is I didn't even think of clay today until I came home from bar and read this post.I did see perry strip the ball from flacco,it seems whenever clay comes back perry stays on the right side which is the left tackle spot,same as he played in colledge.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:00 pm

duck wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

Exactamundo, Jnc.  Matthews will be back soon.  I guarantee it.  

The NFL has some wonderful painkillers.
Alright!  Some sack up from you two girlies...  Nice to see.  How much shall we wager?

The claim was out 3-4 weeks.  I say bullshit.  We're one week out right now.  I'll wager that Matthews doesn't start again until Nov 10 against the Eagles or later... 

Last edited by _HD_ on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Not that your mom's kisses to your boo-boo's weren't awesome. I sure they were. In fact, Ringo says they're still pretty good.  Cool   

I'll sell you a ticket to watch if you'd like...  I'll even upgrade it--just for you Clifford... VIP run-of-the-house with full pit pass privs...  Don't forget your Jergens, now!  Laughing 

Last edited by _HD_ on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

he will be back in December,only if we are still in contention for a playoff spot,if no playoff in sight no clay.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:25 pm

_HD_ wrote: I'll wager that Matthews doesn't start again until Nov 10 against the Eagles or later... 
LOL! You talkin' about showing sack and then trying to bet it'll be 5 instead or 4?

LOL...slow down big man, you're scaring me! Cool 

They'll hope and work for the Bears game; otherwise it'll be the Eagles game.
Movin' on...
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote: I'll wager that Matthews doesn't start again until Nov 10 against the Eagles or later... 
LOL! You talkin' about showing sack and then trying to bet it'll be 5 instead or 4?

LOL...slow down big man, you're scaring me! Cool 

They'll hope and work for the Bears game; otherwise it'll be the Eagles game.
Movin' on...
Cool   Well, duh?   What kind of ass hat proposes a wager with any more margin than necessary to sucker in the flock?  Laughing 

I'm very doubtful he'll be back even for the Eagles game...and if he is--I'm guessing the fucker'll be a ghost on the stat sheet.  I bet they cast his wrist up through his thumb for every game through the rest of the season...  Breaking the base of your thumb isn't like breaking a finger...  Move your thumb around and look at all the shit it does...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down