Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh dear me! ;)

Go down

Oh dear me!   ;) Empty Oh dear me! ;)

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

49ers agree to terms with Randy Moss

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Getty Images
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is joining the San Francisco 49ers.

Moss, who had a workout with 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh today, has reached an agreement on a one-year deal with the team, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. No financial terms of the contract have been disclosed.

For Moss, the deal means that one of the most exciting, explosive playmakers ever to play the wide receiver position is officially back in the NFL after a year away. If Moss is anything like the great player he once was, this is a big deal for the 49ers.

So sorry, Duck... I know he has to actually catch a pass to trigger the scratch--but there's an important lesson to be learned here... Stud racehorses may not always run when you want them to run...but when they decide they want to run--it's best to just climb on their back and enjoy the ride... Wink

I said it many times, my friend... A racehorse like Randy can't just trot away from the track with the fire to run in their blood any more than an owner whose objective it is to claim the purse can just bar the door when the horse with the bloodlines insists on leaving the stable and finding it's way to the gate. In both cases--you were betting on an aberration of nature. There was never a question of whether there was a team willing to let Randy run...the only question was would Randy ever come back around and want to--and that, as I said from the start my friend, was never really a question... Cool

Back to top Go down

Oh dear me!   ;) Empty Re: Oh dear me! ;)

Post by duck Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 am

Yeah, I know you've idealized Moss into some kind of a wonderful racehorse and admittedly he possesses some of those trademark attributes. However, two of his other signature traits are unreliability and volatility -- both of which are destructive to team chemistry. His apologists argue that he has gotten a "bad rap" from the media, but it's no coincidence that he has been unceremoniously unloaded from just about every team he's played on.

More than anything else, this speaks to the hubris and bad judgment of Jim Harbaugh. Clearly, WR is a glaring hole for the Niners but signing a 35-year-old player is never the way to go. If TT and the Packers picked up a 35-year-old player for ANY position, we would all be up in arms about it! Obviously, Harbaugh feels that, whereas most traditional coaching styles have failed on Moss, his youthful and charismatic coaching style will work on him. That's pretty arrogant there, Jimbo.

Then there is the Alex Smith factor. Moss did excelled when he had a good QB throwing to him... but he was very ordinary, and began to sulk and loaf, when he had shitty QBs. I'm sorry but, despite Harbaugh's vote of confidence, Smith falls more into the latter category. He does NOT have a strong arm. I see this partnership as ticket back to the Oakland Raiders Randy Moss period.

One other thing baffles me. Why did the Niners sign him now? Why not wait until after the draft? Seems to me it makes more sense to see if they could pick up a promising young WR before going with an old retread. Harbaugh blew it big time on Moss.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah, I know you've idealized Moss into some kind of a wonderful racehorse and admittedly he possesses some of those trademark attributes. However, two of his other signature traits are unreliability and volatility -- both of which are destructive to team chemistry.

Yup--two additional trademark attributes of the champion thoroughbred... As I said--they run when they want to... Add finicky (would never eat the oats from Tinucci's) and throw in tempermental, as well--but when provided with the best and feeling their best, they reward you with their best...and uber talent on display--brought forth by the golden stroke of your own hand--is a joy to behold...

His apologists argue that he has gotten a "bad rap" from the media, but it's no coincidence that he has been unceremoniously unloaded from just about every team he's played on.

Yes again, Duck... Like you--few understand a Randy Moss... The almighty media/political machine is set up to reward those who compromise their principals... In short--those willing to be fake. Why? Because overwhelmingly generally--those operating in the media/political sphere are mediocre. Mediocre people need to compromise their principals in order to have a shot of feeling like they are running with the big dogs. Why--because none of them have anything approaching *fuck you* talent. Randy has *fuck you* talent. What that means is that, like any racehorse wearing the roses, Randy does it Randy's way... He doesn't have to stroke ESPN...or try to bring purple to Joe Buck's little helmet--let them say what they will...and, of course, what they will say is one castigation after another about Randy Moss... Why? Because Randy Moss doesn't reflect the need to play their fucking game of mediocrity--and they have spent their careers penalizing him for it... Straight cash, homie--in a world of fucks hiding behind everything on loan from somebody else, eh? Very Happy

More than anything else, this speaks to the hubris and bad judgment of Jim Harbaugh. Clearly, WR is a glaring hole for the Niners but signing a 35-year-old player is never the way to go. If TT and the Packers picked up a 35-year-old player for ANY position, we would all be up in arms about it! Obviously, Harbaugh feels that, whereas most traditional coaching styles have failed on Moss, his youthful and charismatic coaching style will work on him. That's pretty arrogant there, Jimbo.

The fastest player coming out of the combine this year ran a 4.4 40...Duck... Randy Moss reportedly just ran a 4.4 40 in his visit to the Saints... Beyond that--who gives a fuck how many years he's been alive? He's a freak. Standard measures don't apply...

Managing racehorses isn't that complicated really... What makes it hard for most people is that they overcomplicate it. Give Randy your best...and if you have a best of quality--you'll be reciprocated with his best of quality... Simple as that. Feed him Tinucci's and you go cockblock... Frank Sinatra didn't sing *New York, New York* at your local VFW after dining at Old Country Buffet, either... Wink

Harbaugh's game will work with Randy for the short term--but here's the key--as long as they are winning. Harbaugh is the type of cheap suit with the seams that unravel at the first sign stress is applied... Where do you go with rah rah--when a realist like Randy knows rah rah is just being reamed up his ass?

Then there is the Alex Smith factor. Moss did excelled when he had a good QB throwing to him... but he was very ordinary, and began to sulk and loaf, when he had shitty QBs. I'm sorry but, despite Harbaugh's vote of confidence, Smith falls more into the latter category. He does NOT have a strong arm. I see this partnership as ticket back to the Oakland Raiders Randy Moss period.

One other thing baffles me. Why did the Niners sign him now? Why not wait until after the draft? Seems to me it makes more sense to see if they could pick up a promising young WR before going with an old retread. Harbaugh blew it big time on Moss.

Randy wouldn't have still been around after the draft... You take those like Randy when you can get them--or spend the rest of your life regretting the fact that you didn't...

Watch what happens, Duck... Randy will light 'em up this season. Why? Because Randy wants to... That's all it takes for his talent level. Harbaugh's job is simple--just keep Randy wanting to, eh? Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Yeah, I know you've idealized Moss into some kind of a wonderful racehorse and admittedly he possesses some of those trademark attributes. However, two of his other signature traits are unreliability and volatility -- both of which are destructive to team chemistry.

Yup--two additional trademark attributes of the champion thoroughbred... As I said--they run when they want to... Add finicky (would never eat the oats from Tinucci's) and throw in tempermental, as well--but when provided with the best and feeling their best, they reward you with their best...and uber talent on display--brought forth by the golden stroke of your own hand--is a joy to behold...

His apologists argue that he has gotten a "bad rap" from the media, but it's no coincidence that he has been unceremoniously unloaded from just about every team he's played on.

Yes again, Duck... Like you--few understand a Randy Moss... The almighty media/political machine is set up to reward those who compromise their principals... In short--those willing to be fake. Why? Because overwhelmingly generally--those operating in the media/political sphere are mediocre. Mediocre people need to compromise their principals in order to have a shot of feeling like they are running with the big dogs. Why--because none of them have anything approaching *fuck you* talent. Randy has *fuck you* talent. What that means is that, like any racehorse wearing the roses, Randy does it Randy's way... He doesn't have to stroke ESPN...or try to bring purple to Joe Buck's little helmet--let them say what they will...and, of course, what they will say is one castigation after another about Randy Moss... Why? Because Randy Moss doesn't reflect the need to play their fucking game of mediocrity--and they have spent their careers penalizing him for it... Straight cash, homie--in a world of fucks hiding behind everything on loan from somebody else, eh? Very Happy

The fastest player coming out of the combine this year ran a 4.4 40...Duck... Randy Moss reportedly just ran a 4.4 40 in his visit to the Saints... Beyond that--who gives a fuck how many years he's been alive? He's a freak. Standard measures don't apply...

Managing racehorses isn't that complicated really... What makes it hard for most people is that they overcomplicate it. Give Randy your best...and if you have a best of quality--you'll be reciprocated with his best of quality... Simple as that. Feed him Tinucci's and you go cockblock... Frank Sinatra didn't sing *New York, New York* at your local VFW after dining at Old Country Buffet, either... Wink

Harbaugh's game will work with Randy for the short term--but here's the key--as long as they are winning. Harbaugh is the type of cheap suit with the seams that unravel at the first sign stress is applied... Where do you go with rah rah--when a realist like Randy knows rah rah is just being reamed up his ass?

Randy wouldn't have still been around after the draft... You take those like Randy when you can get them--or spend the rest of your life regretting the fact that you didn't...

Watch what happens, Duck... Randy will light 'em up this season. Why? Because Randy wants to... That's all it takes for his talent level. Harbaugh's job is simple--just keep Randy wanting to, eh? Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 am

_HD_ wrote:Randy wouldn't have still been around after the draft... You take those like Randy when you can get them--or spend the rest of your life regretting the fact that you didn't...

Randy Moss was available for over a year to any team that wanted him. My lasting memories of him are probably the same as it is for many other fans from team's he's been on. He has great talent and could make incredible highlight reel catches, but he's not worth the trouble that his aholeness creates, on and off the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 pm

[Yes again, Duck... Like you--few understand a Randy Moss... The almighty media/political machine is set up to reward those who compromise their principals... In short--those willing to be fake. etc.]: HD

Seriously, HD, you put Moss on a pedestal because he's "genuine" and "honest"? We all agree that Randy does it Randy's way but I see that as a negative, not a positive.

The man is selfish and immature. He didn't give a damn about his teammates or coaches in Oakland or in his second stint in Minnesota. Why should things be any different in San Francisco? The moment Randy finds something not to his liking, the switch could suddenly be turned off.

Yeah, Randy plays when he wants to, but he sure disappears in big games. As I've pointed out before -- and you were forced to acknowledge -- he's performed poorly in the playoffs. He did nothing in the Vikings' whitewashing by the Giants, dropped an easy would-be touchdown in their choke against Atlanta that would have made the missed FG irrelevant, and caught a grand total of something like four passes in ALL three of his Patriots playoff games.

I realize many coaches are intrigued by him because he's flashed moments of brilliance, but I also think it takes a certain amount of hubris for a coach to presume he's going to be able to manage a player who has proven to be cancerous for a large portion of his NFL career. Harbaugh is an idiot, and his subsequent handling of Alex Smith this offseason further illustrates that. I used to like him a lot and thought he was perhaps building a winner but, wow, what a couple of boneheaded offseason moves!

Moss was actually starting to grow on me in his Patriot years but his behavior with the Vikings in 2010 turned me off for good.

The guy's just a punk and I'm surprised that someone like you would hitch your wagon to him, HD.

It looks now like you'll probably get your $200 back and an extra $200 from me, but I'm still holding out hope that Moss will fuck something up before the season begins -- or that the Niners will come to their senses.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 am

duck wrote:[Yes again, Duck... Like you--few understand a Randy Moss... The almighty media/political machine is set up to reward those who compromise their principals... In short--those willing to be fake. etc.]: HD

Seriously, HD, you put Moss on a pedestal because he's "genuine" and "honest"? We all agree that Randy does it Randy's way but I see that as a negative, not a positive.

The man is selfish and immature. He didn't give a damn about his teammates or coaches in Oakland or in his second stint in Minnesota. Why should things be any different in San Francisco? The moment Randy finds something not to his liking, the switch could suddenly be turned off.

Yeah, Randy plays when he wants to, but he sure disappears in big games. As I've pointed out before -- and you were forced to acknowledge -- he's performed poorly in the playoffs. He did nothing in the Vikings' whitewashing by the Giants, dropped an easy would-be touchdown in their choke against Atlanta that would have made the missed FG irrelevant, and caught a grand total of something like four passes in ALL three of his Patriots playoff games.

I realize many coaches are intrigued by him because he's flashed moments of brilliance, but I also think it takes a certain amount of hubris for a coach to presume he's going to be able to manage a player who has proven to be cancerous for a large portion of his NFL career. Harbaugh is an idiot, and his subsequent handling of Alex Smith this offseason further illustrates that. I used to like him a lot and thought he was perhaps building a winner but, wow, what a couple of boneheaded offseason moves!

Moss was actually starting to grow on me in his Patriot years but his behavior with the Vikings in 2010 turned me off for good.

The guy's just a punk and I'm surprised that someone like you would hitch your wagon to him, HD.

It looks now like you'll probably get your $200 back and an extra $200 from me, but I'm still holding out hope that Moss will fuck something up before the season begins -- or that the Niners will come to their senses.

Yes Duck--I believe the term I originally used way back when was garden-variety punk relative to Randy Moss... On that point--there is no denial. However, that isn't what I was referencing. Look at his socio-economic background--it'd be a surprise if he wasn't, eh?

The bottom line is this, Duck: There is more than a little Randy in many others from all walks of life...including me. Yeah--he might give up a few IQ points and he might give up the refinement that comes for some through being raised in a good home and the benefit of a private liberal arts education--but you know what? I can't sit here right now today--and tell you with any assurance of truth that I could have walked into that sick hot mess of dysfunction that was the Minnesota Vikings when Randy appeared--and not had an immediate sit down with the Zygmunt and told him the same fucking thing about the Muffin Munch that Randy did. I've been there before, Duck--and that's probably why I haven't had a boss in the past 25 years. Randy looks at it this way--but doesn't really know it because it's hard-wired on an instinctual level... Kicking ass is hard work. You want me to kick ass--that's great. That's why I'm here. First order of business henceforth shall be clearing the fucking path of all these insufferable fuck twits who only serve to slow me down. LOL! Randy is only going to suffer the pain to bring you the gain if the gain is there to grab. Going through the motions is inherently false--and--for bertter or worse is not within someone like Randy's repitore. He'd rather go ghetto and break dance with a butt-plug next to a boom-box. LOL! You see Duck--Bill Belichick understood Randy--and Randy in return gave Bill his best...and what was his best? Oh, only the most prolific single season performance by a wide receiver in....forever... Not too shit-stained for a guy who some professed over and over was OVER, eh Duck? Very Happy

To this day--Randy remains beholden to Bill Belichick and references him repeatedly. Again, Belichick has as many personality disorders as Randy does--so let's not stray from the point...and that point is--Randy's a high-performance machine...and Belichick is a savvy mechanic. High-performance machines can sometime be a little finicky...sometimes need a little more maintenance and often only respond the way you want through the deft touch of the skilled hand of a precision mechanic. It can sometimes be frustrating--even to Randy, no doubt. But I'm here to tell you my friend--when you have that high-performance machine dialed in with the pedal to the metal and you're flying over the water with the wind in your hair and your balls in the back of your throat--it's all an easy choice to make... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 am

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:[Yes again, Duck... Like you--few understand a Randy Moss... The almighty media/political machine is set up to reward those who compromise their principals... In short--those willing to be fake. etc.]: HD

<G> Yes Duck--I believe the term I originally used way back when was garden-variety punk relative to Randy Moss... On that point--there is no denial. However, that isn't what I was referencing. Look at his socio-economic background--it'd be a surprise if he wasn't, eh?

The bottom line is this, Duck: There is more than a little Randy in many others from all walks of life...including me. Yeah--he might give up a few IQ points and he might give up the refinement that comes for some through being raised in a good home and the benefit of a private liberal arts education--but you know what? I can't sit here right now today--and tell you with any assurance of truth that I could have walked into that sick hot mess of dysfunction that was the Minnesota Vikings when Randy appeared--and not had an immediate sit down with the Zygmunt and told him the same fucking thing about the Muffin Munch that Randy did. I've been there before, Duck--and that's probably why I haven't had a boss in the past 25 years. Randy looks at it this way--but doesn't really know it because it's hard-wired on an instinctual level... Kicking ass is hard work. You want me to kick ass--that's great. That's why I'm here. First order of business henceforth shall be clearing the fucking path of all these insufferable fuck twits who only serve to slow me down. LOL! Randy is only going to suffer the pain to bring you the gain if the gain is there to grab. Going through the motions is inherently false--and--for bertter or worse is not within someone like Randy's repitore. He'd rather go ghetto and break dance with a butt-plug next to a boom-box. LOL! You see Duck--Bill Belichick understood Randy--and Randy in return gave Bill his best...and what was his best? Oh, only the most prolific single season performance by a wide receiver in....forever... Not too shit-stained for a guy who some professed over and over was OVER, eh Duck? Very Happy

To this day--Randy remains beholden to Bill Belichick and references him repeatedly. Again, Belichick has as many personality disorders as Randy does--so let's not stray from the point...and that point is--Randy's a high-performance machine...and Belichick is a savvy mechanic. High-performance machines can sometime be a little finicky...sometimes need a little more maintenance and often only respond the way you want through the deft touch of the skilled hand of a precision mechanic. It can sometimes be frustrating--even to Randy, no doubt. But I'm here to tell you my friend--when you have that high-performance machine dialed in with the pedal to the metal and you're flying over the water with the wind in your hair and your balls in the back of your throat--it's all an easy choice to make... Wink

Interestingly, I am also cut from the same cloth as you and Moss in the sense that I haven't had a boss for 22 years yet am hard-working and productive... and also individualistic and outspoken. I have little tolerance for bullshit. So, in that sense, I have a modicum of empathy and compassion for Moss.

However, frankly, that probably isn't my most endearing characteristic, nor my healthiest. My candor has gotten me into trouble on numerous occasions and, while I'm generally an amiable sort, when I do make enemies, they're doozies. I do believe you've witnessed that phenomenon online... LOL.

It's one thing for you and I to live our lives as individualists... but it's another for a member of a football team to do so. Like the military, football depends upon a hierarchical chain of command. A team cannot function properly if one individual player feels he is above the others and "plays only when he wants to". I find it interesting, HD, that you have often belittled organizations for their dysfunctional command structures... and then praise an egregious violator like Moss.

I find that the mouthy divas are disruptive and unhealthy to team chemistry. My God, didn't we learn something from the Favre fiasco at the end? Perhaps you can secretly admire Moss for his honestly, but you have to admit his outspoken comments do nothing but make things worse. I was no fan of Brad Childress but he had no choice but to unload Moss. The alternative was locker room anarchy.

Oh, and one final thought. in your praise for Moss in New England, you forget about a guy named Tom Brady. Brady's been putting up big numbers before and after Randy Moss. Conversely, Moss never did anything without a top tier QB. I would say Brady is far more responsible for Moss' big year than vice-versa.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Interestingly, I am also cut from the same cloth as you and Moss in the sense that I haven't had a boss for 22 years yet am hard-working and productive... and also individualistic and outspoken. I have little tolerance for bullshit. So, in that sense, I have a modicum of empathy and compassion for Moss.

However, frankly, that probably isn't my most endearing characteristic, nor my healthiest. My candor has gotten me into trouble on numerous occasions and, while I'm generally an amiable sort, when I do make enemies, they're doozies. I do believe you've witnessed that phenomenon online... LOL.

It's one thing for you and I to live our lives as individualists... but it's another for a member of a football team to do so. Like the military, football depends upon a hierarchical chain of command. A team cannot function properly if one individual player feels he is above the others and "plays only when he wants to". I find it interesting, HD, that you have often belittled organizations for their dysfunctional command structures... and then praise an egregious violator like Moss.

That's the whole point, Duck. Randy was a saint in a healthy, functional command structure in New England. Randy is the type where you need his respect--it isn't enough for him to do what you say just because you happen to be up the chain of command and you say so... Does that represent a pain in the ass that most people are either incapable or unwilling to deal with? Yes--and their sacrifice is that they'll never know what it's like to stand at the apex of the highest mountain and admire the view from the top of the world...because no matter who you are--you can never get there all by yourself... Wink

I find that the mouthy divas are disruptive and unhealthy to team chemistry. My God, didn't we learn something from the Favre fiasco at the end? Perhaps you can secretly admire Moss for his honestly, but you have to admit his outspoken comments do nothing but make things worse. I was no fan of Brad Childress but he had no choice but to unload Moss. The alternative was locker room anarchy.

There already was locker room anarchy at that point, Duck... They mostly all hated Childress and none of them respected him. He's an obtuse douchbag. Programmatic non-fit... Fuck you... LOL!

I would have unloaded Childress and Moss at the same time. There was no one there strong enough to reign Randy in with what would have happened to his head had Zygmunt canned Childress and retained Randy at that point--and Randy represents no added value whatsoever to a team so far from the prize.

Oh, and one final thought. in your praise for Moss in New England, you forget about a guy named Tom Brady. Brady's been putting up big numbers before and after Randy Moss. Conversely, Moss never did anything without a top tier QB. I would say Brady is far more responsible for Moss' big year than vice-versa.

Brady was quoted as saying that randy Moss was the most intelligent football player he's ever been around... QB/WR is about chemistry more than anything else... One can't actualize without the other. Saying one deserves credit more than the other is inherently absurd. It's like saying one person deserves more credit than the other for great sex. No. Great sex comes from great chemistry and the beauty of great chemistry is that it really can't be defined--and certainly can't be manufactured--but there's no mistaking it when it's there...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down