Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One writer's ranking of head coaches

4 posters

Go down

One writer's ranking of head coaches Empty One writer's ranking of head coaches

Post by guppy Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin sit atop current NFL coach rankings

• [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
  • By Adam Schein
  • Columnist, NFL.com
  • Published: April 4, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.
  • Updated: April 4, 2013 at 06:08 p.m.
  • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Friend(s) EmailYour EmailSend Email

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
Bill Belichick (left) has three Super Bowl rings, but he's lost his last two games on the big stage to Tom Coughlin.
The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] made me sick. There's no place in athletics for that kind of abuse.
But I've had my fill of despicable coaching practices for this week. Let's shift focus to exemplary leaders of men, ranking the top coaches in the NFL, Schein Nine style. A nice, feel-good piece that will bring a smile to your face -- unless your coach didn't make the list or you passionately disagree with my order. I'm fascinated to get your take. Hit me on Twitter [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Vote for the greatest play in NFL history:
NFL.com has picked the 64 best plays ever, and over the next three weeks we are asking fans to cast their votes for the best. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Without further ado, my list of the nine best coaches in the NFL today:
1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sure, he made a big gaffe managing the game at the end of the first half [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. But don't get it twisted: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the single best coach in sports today. I'd stack his résumé up against anyone else in pro sports in the last 25 years -- Phil Jackson, Joe Torre, Scotty Bowman, whoever -- factoring in his brilliance in New England and how he ran the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]' defense under Bill Parcells. Belichick is 151-57 over 13 regular seasons in New England, going 17-7 in the playoffs while winning three [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]s and making five. And please, save the "What has he done since Spygate?" nonsense. Because the answer is double-digit wins every year.
2) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Like Belichick, he's a future [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]r. Coughlin has two rings and gets his [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to overachieve. He's a fantastic motivator and in-game coach.
3) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It drives me nuts when I get calls on our SiriusXM radio show or tweets from haters who complain about McCarthy's play selection and lack of a run game. Last time I checked, he has [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. And McCarthy's finger prints are all over Rodgers' development into becoming the best quarterback in the NFL -- from McCarthy's offseason quarterback school to his practices to the in-game play calling where Rodgers and McCarthy seemingly share a brain. McCarthy is a robust 74-38 as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] head coach. He's done a great job assembling strong assistants, too. The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are always under the microscope and McCarthy handles the noise (think: Brett Favre) with aplomb.
4) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I know he's only coached in the NFL for two seasons. But I also know how fantastic Harbaugh is, dating back to his days as a college head coach. In just two years on the job, Harbaugh has totally eradicated the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] stench he inherited. Before Harbaugh arrived, the Niners were fodder for late-night talk shows, thanks to Singletary's ranting and raving. With Harbaugh, they're a featured attraction on primetime NFL games. Harbaugh is 24-7-1. He was a fumble away from the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in his first year. He was yards away from winning the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in his second year. He isn't afraid to make the tough decision, like changing quarterbacks midway through a season.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]HQ video delivered by Akamai
5) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I know how this looks. Yes, John just beat Jim in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] XLVI. But Jim gets the nod with regular-season winning percentage and his immediate turnaround in San Francisco. Understand, I think John has been nothing short of brilliant steadying the ship in Baltimore -- putting his own stamp on the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] while managing Ray Lewis and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Let's not minimize that. Harbaugh is 54-26 in Baltimore. And he led the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] triumph -- keeping them focused through adversity, injury, Lewis' retirement announcement, the replacement of an offensive coordinator and other distractions -- despite the fact that at no point during the regular season did they resemble the best team in the NFL. Truly a tremendous accomplishment.
6) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tomlin gets teams to out-kick their talent. With the exception of last season, Tomlin teams are mentally tough and play their best when it matters the most. He has the ring and the winning percentage to back it up.
7) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
He's back! If you ever doubted the greatness and importance of Payton, you saw it last year when New Orleans fell apart sans his leadership. Payton is aggressive and passionate -- qualities that are apparent in the way he coaches. He calls plays with that attitude and goes for it on fourth down. He conducts practices in that style. Thus, the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] play with an edge and play for him.
Cool [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]HQ video delivered by Akamai
Even though I think he should've pulled [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at 14-0 in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to protect the franchise QB from further injury, Shanahan did a great job with Washington last year after struggling mightily in his first few seasons on the job. I still think he's an exceptional leader and I don't forget the championships he won in Denver.
9) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The last two years in Philly were an abject failure, but let's not pretend the years prior didn't exist. He won seven division titles in the NFC East. The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] were a regular participant on Championship Sunday. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] changed and rescued [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] football. The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] have an elite head coach.
Toughest omissions: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

One writer's ranking of head coaches Empty Re: One writer's ranking of head coaches

Post by LRJets Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm

For you Gup.....long time no see. Smile

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

One writer's ranking of head coaches Empty Re: One writer's ranking of head coaches

Post by guppy Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 am

LR, Here's Bill's response to you:

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am

Lists are lists. This one is as good as any other but for one thing.

"I'd stack his résumé up against anyone else in pro sports in the last 25
years -- Phil Jackson, Joe Torre, Scotty Bowman, whoever "

Stack it up all you want, Adam. You'll lose every time.
Throw Gibbs in there as well.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

guppy wrote:LR, Here's Bill's response to you:

Heh!! Funny!
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 am

True what George said, lists are lists, but I did enjoy reading this one. Smile
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]h
[quote="~Sheila~"]True what George said, lists are lists, but I did enjoy reading this one.
What BB was missing and needs to "bring it home" .

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm

[quote="LRJets"][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]h
~Sheila~ wrote:True what George said, lists are lists, but I did enjoy reading this one.
What BB was missing and needs to "bring it home" .

He can bring it home whenever he wants, just as long as he's not playing against my team! Razz
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

George1963 wrote:Lists are lists. This one is as good as any other but for one thing.

"I'd stack his résumé up against anyone else in pro sports in the last 25
years -- Phil Jackson, Joe Torre, Scotty Bowman, whoever "

Stack it up all you want, Adam. You'll lose every time.
Throw Gibbs in there as well.

George, you forgot Red Auerbach.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

I admittedly hated many years ago when there was one game on a Sunday and if it was the Knicks and Celtics, and Auerbach deliberately and slowly began lighting up his "victory" cigar. Just seeing the Boston Garden floor meant a long afternoon.
Red, originally a junior high school basketball coach in Brooklyn, shoulda stayed in Brooklyn!

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 pm

[quote="LRJets"]I admittedly hated many years ago when there was one game on a Sunday and if it was the Knicks and Celtics, and Auerbach deliberately and slowly began lighting up his "victory" cigar. Just seeing the Boston Garden floor meant a long afternoon.

Ah, the good ole days. Basketball

Were you familiar with Johnny Most, the C's radio announcer back in the day? The ULTIMATE homer announcer. The Godfather of homer announcers. When the C's played the hated Detroit Pistons, he referred to Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer as "McFilthy" and "McNasty". lol
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm

[quote="guppy"]
LRJets wrote:I admittedly hated many years ago when there was one game on a Sunday and if it was the Knicks and Celtics, and Auerbach deliberately and slowly began lighting up his "victory" cigar. Just seeing the Boston Garden floor meant a long afternoon.

Were you familiar with Johnny Most, the C's radio announcer back in the day? The ULTIMATE homer announcer. The Godfather of homer announcers. When the C's played the hated Detroit Pistons, he referred to Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer as "McFilthy" and "McNasty". lol
I remember Johnny Most and probably heard him a few times, but not enough to critique his style.
Most radio announcers back in the day were unashamedly "homers". Today, the dream of TV and going "national" hinders political incorrectness.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm

[quote="guppy"]
LRJets wrote:I admittedly hated many years ago when there was one game on a Sunday and if it was the Knicks and Celtics, and Auerbach deliberately and slowly began lighting up his "victory" cigar. Just seeing the Boston Garden floor meant a long afternoon.

Most was funny, but I remember a game in the '80s where the Celtics were up 50-25 on the Hawks after the first quarter and Tom Heinsohn was bitching, loudly, about the refs screwing the green. And this was when he was on the network, not local.
Most was amusing, from what little I heard of him, but I wondered about Heinsohns sanity sometimes.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Were you familiar with Johnny Most, the C's radio announcer back
in the day? The ULTIMATE homer announcer. The Godfather of homer
announcers. When the C's played the hated Detroit Pistons, he referred
to Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer as "McFilthy" and "McNasty". lol

Speaking of radio guys, I just recently heard that the only thing related to the Patriots that I was at all jealous about is no more. Cappaletti and Santos retired from the booth. Too bad, those guys were old-school classics.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm

George1963 wrote:Were you familiar with Johnny Most, the C's radio announcer back
in the day? The ULTIMATE homer announcer. The Godfather of homer
announcers. When the C's played the hated Detroit Pistons, he referred
to Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer as "McFilthy" and "McNasty". lol

Speaking of radio guys, I just recently heard that the only thing related to the Patriots that I was at all jealous about is no more. Cappaletti and Santos retired from the booth. Too bad, those guys were old-school classics.

Definitely. One little thing always bugged me though. Santos would say, "The Patriots won the toss and will receive. They will start from their own 20 and go from right to left across your radio dial." Right to left??? It makes absolutely no sense. Small point, I know.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Definitely. One little thing always bugged me though. Santos would say, "The Patriots won the toss and will receive. They will start from their own 20 and go from right to left across your radio dial." Right to left??? It makes absolutely no sense. Small point, I know.

I have a better one I think. In 1960 when the Jets were the NY Titans, the owner was one Harry Wismer. He was a radio announcer by profession, He did marketing,sales, just about everything.
Two things stand out.
1. One game had about 10,000 fans. Wismer said, "There are 50,000 people here today, about 40,000 are dressed as empty seats."
2. Wismer once said, "He's at the 40, the 45, the 50, the 55.."
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm

LRJets wrote:

I have a better one I think. In 1960 when the Jets were the NY Titans, the owner was one Harry Wismer. He was a radio announcer by profession, He did marketing,sales, just about everything.
Two things stand out.
1. One game had about 10,000 fans. Wismer said, "There are 50,000 people here today, about 40,000 are dressed as empty seats."

Heh...I think that's funny!
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am

~Sheila~ wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Two things stand out.

Heh...I think that's funny!

When I was a kid there was a guy who did either the Chicago or Cleveland games who used to say "He's at the 40, the 33, the 21, 16, 4, TOUCHDOWN!".
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

LRJets wrote:

Two things stand out.

lol!
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:36 am

The early days of the AFL were ultra crazy. Paydays were skipped, checks when given, often bounced. The Titans would change in their cars and enter the stadium in uniforms.
Then came the Jets!
I shoulda remained a Giants fan. Sad
Namath made millionaires, billionaires; and many players millionaires.
Quickie....It was said that HOFer Don Maynard would do anything (almost) for money. At a motel once he took on a bet that he wouldn't dive into the pool in his full cowboy attire. He agreed and was allowed to remove his boots.
He jumped in!!

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Hey Sheila. this one's for you. Very Happy

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm

guppy wrote:Hey Sheila. this one's for you. Very Happy

Nah, too metro sexual! lol

~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 pm

[quote="~Sheila~"]
guppy wrote:Hey Sheila. this one's for you. Very Happy

Nah, too metro sexual! lol

Well, he could always drop the metrosexual look in favor of the nerd look. You know, just like Lebron. lol
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down