Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOUNTIES IN FOOTBALL

3 posters

Go down

BOUNTIES IN FOOTBALL Empty BOUNTIES IN FOOTBALL

Post by LRJets Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 am

Another black eye for the NFL.
The NFL is so competitive and not only between teams, but within positions (as any sport) of each team, and coaches, and assistants, etc.
With players being stronger and faster, bounties are only the microcosm of society's mores today.
The quest for superiority, survival, and the buck once again turned and bit the league in the ass.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

BOUNTIES IN FOOTBALL Empty Re: BOUNTIES IN FOOTBALL

Post by RickC Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am

LRJets wrote:Another black eye for the NFL.
The NFL is so competitive and not only between teams, but within positions (as any sport) of each team, and coaches, and assistants, etc.
With players being stronger and faster, bounties are only the microcosm of society's mores today.
The quest for superiority, survival, and the buck once again turned and bit the league in the ass.

Greg Williams should be suspended for the entire league year. His assistants should get the same. Sean Payton, who was aware and took no action should get the same. Mickey Loomis too.

The Saints should lose the 2nd pick this year and the 1st pick next year.
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 am

Goodell has no choice but to come down heavy on the Saints. Like most infractions, each day will bring out more guilty parties from other teams. It already has begun.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 am

Bounties have been around since the beginning of the NFL it doesn't make it right but up until now the Football world has buried their heads in the sand. Ask yourself this what are the stickers on the side of college football players helmets?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm

LRJets wrote:Goodell has no choice but to come down heavy on the Saints. Like most infractions, each day will bring out more guilty parties from other teams. It already has begun.

That's worse than Spygate. IDK what these players are thinking. Not only could they end another players career they can damage that player for life. I guess they never heard of Darryl Stingley.

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:09 pm

.Bounties have been around since the beginning of the NFL it doesn't make it right but up until now the Football world has buried their heads in the sand. Ask yourself this what are the stickers on the side of college football players helmets?

Self, what are the stickers on the side of college football helmets?
Not for knocking players out of games. Your Ohio State has been adorning those stars for years.
Andrew Luck, a QB has more stars on his helmet than any college player I have ever seen.
Additionally, Goodell is under pressure to keep the NFL image as trying to play a safer game Re: concussion awareness. Don't think bounties would help image.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 pm

So your saying that the defensive players on thee Ohio State Buckeyes football team won't get a sticker for a good clean hard hit if it carts the other teams player off the field? Do you not think that if a QB throws a pick and the defensive player is running the ball back and the QB goes low on him stops the guy takes him out of the game and stops the TD he won't get a sticker?

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:04 am

Dmounts wrote:So your saying that the defensive players on thee Ohio State Buckeyes football team won't get a sticker for a good clean hard hit if it carts the other teams player off the field? Do you not think that if a QB throws a pick and the defensive player is running the ball back and the QB goes low on him stops the guy takes him out of the game and stops the TD he won't get a sticker?

A good clean hit does get a sticker - cart off or not. The issue with the Saints (I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen elsewhere but they got caught) was that it is reported that there were specific payouts for cart off hits and KO via injury. That's a huge difference.

The NFL has made huge strides to change the culture of the game, things like rewards for causing injuries and cart offs has no place in the game.

The Saints story would be bad enough if it was just the players but the coaching staff has admitted active involvement. Williams went as far as saying that he knew it was wrong while he was doing it but did it anyway. He should be suspended for at least a season, or even a lifetime ban. Mickey Loomis & Sean Payton should have to sit out a year too as it's been reported that they knew about it but did nothing.

There's no place for this in the game at all. Goodell should come down very hard on all involved.

Last edited by RickC on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:13 am

All week-end they were showing how Favre was getting hit and almost broken into two pieces against the Saints.
Of course clean hits are one thing, but when bounties were revealed and the Saints happen to be the known guilty party at this point, Goodell should put an end to it.
As I said earlier, other teams will be referenced as this grows its own legs. (Redskins next up with Buffalo).
The "every team does it" excuse is no excuse.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm

RickC wrote:
Dmounts wrote:So your saying that the defensive players on thee Ohio State Buckeyes football team won't get a sticker for a good clean hard hit if it carts the other teams player off the field? Do you not think that if a QB throws a pick and the defensive player is running the ball back and the QB goes low on him stops the guy takes him out of the game and stops the TD he won't get a sticker?

A good clean hit does get a sticker - cart off or not. The issue with the Saints (I'm not naive enough to think this doesn't happen elsewhere but they got caught) was that it is reported that there were specific payouts for cart off hits and KO via injury. That's a huge difference.

The NFL has made huge strides to change the culture of the game, things like rewards for causing injuries and cart offs has no place in the game.

The Saints story would be bad enough if it was just the players but the coaching staff has admitted active involvement. Williams went as far as saying that he knew it was wrong while he was doing it but did it anyway. He should be suspended for at least a season, or even a lifetime ban. Mickey Loomis & Sean Payton should have to sit out a year too as it's been reported that they knew about it but did nothing.

There's no place for this in the game at all. Goodell should come down very hard on all involved.

I think the reason that it's being made such a huge story is for damage control by the NFL to protect their own asses and to keep the cash flowing. I watch a lot of NFL games and I see players attempting (successfully at times) to knock out other players all the time. We all have those type of players and coaches on our teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 pm

PatsRBest wrote:
RickC wrote:

I think the reason that it's being made such a huge story is for damage control by the NFL to protect their own asses and to keep the cash flowing. I watch a lot of NFL games and I see players attempting (successfully at times) to knock out other players all the time. We all have those type of players and coaches on our teams.

You bet. I did say that the Saints are probablay not alone here but they did get caught. There will be blood.
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:11 am

I think the reason that it's being made such a huge story is for damage control by the NFL to protect their own asses and to keep the cash flowing. I watch a lot of NFL games and I see players attempting (successfully at times) to knock out other players all the time. We all have those type of players and coaches on our teams.[/quote]

You bet. I did say that the Saints are probably not alone here but they did get caught. There will be blood.[/quote]

It would be nice to see all of the cheap injury shots policed out, but I don't see how it can be done. I see many similar plays that don't even draw a penalty. Good thing that Goodell didn't end up taking no compensation this year because he's going to earn his salary with this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodevos1 Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Ya know I had the idea that if somebody took out the best player on one team by injury, then the other team should get a choice to take out one from the other - by virtue of award not physically breaking the guy apart. lol That would make it fair, to a point, but, then again if the Referee's turn their heads to some obvious infractions like what they did in that Viking Saint game it wont make a bit of difference.
Goodell has his hands full right now. And I don't know if anybody remembers when a few years ago where the Packers openly said they put a bounty on Adrian Peterson with Al Harris winning the pot with a hit directly to the knee and nothing was done about that, it sort of worried me back then thinking "god damn" is that crap even legal? I mean damn, that was right on national television too.
rodevos1
rodevos1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down