Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Switch to 4-3 could benefit Jay Ratliff

Go down

*Switch to 4-3 could benefit Jay Ratliff Empty *Switch to 4-3 could benefit Jay Ratliff

Post by KeithUCF Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

There are indications Monte Kiffin could become the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] new defensive coordinator. If Kiffin takes over the defense, it most likely will move from a 3-4 alignment to a 4-3.

Kiffin runs a version of the 4-3 called the Tampa 2. It's designed for the four pass-rushers to get pressure on the quarterback and the linebackers and defensive backs to play zone coverage and converge on the ball carrier from different areas of the field.

Dallas Cowboys Hire Monte Kiffin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Only 11 men have had the label of Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator since 1960. How many can you name?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We bring this up this morning because I thought about how it might affect nose tackle [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

If the Cowboys were staying in a 3-4 alignment, I said Ratliff's days with the Cowboys would be over. His body is wearing down from years of getting double-teamed. His production slipped the past few years and, combined with the $1 million the team saves by cutting him and his confrontation with owner/general manager Jerry Jones, it would probably be time to go.

A move to a 4-3 alignment would prevent Ratliff from getting doubled by centers and guards on a consistent basis, and he could instead pressure the quarterback between the center and guard in a four-man pass rush.

Maybe keeping Ratliff around helps the Cowboys on this front. We assume one of the defensive ends in the new 4-3 will be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The other end could be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or maybe [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if he re-signs with the Cowboys. The two inside defensive tackles have to be quick off the ball and be able to pressure the quarterback, which brings us back to Ratliff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is better suited to play end, and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are run-stoppers. Coleman is a free agent and his future with the team, like Spencer's, is uncertain.

Ratliff's status with the team -- which I thought wasn't so secure because of his health and lack of production -- now could be strengthened with a shift to the Tampa 2 defense.

I was told Ratliff is open to moving to defensive tackle, as he was a few years ago when former coach Wade Phillips tried him out at end.

That's a good attitude to have, and if the Cowboys believe in Ratliff's skill set, then keeping him is the best thing. If not, then I can truly understand why releasing him works. But if the Cowboys do, they better find a defensive tackle that can help with the pass rush.
KeithUCF
KeithUCF
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down