Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting read.

2 posters

Go down

Interesting read. Empty Interesting read.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Talking to myself and trying to figure out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Question: You wanted Brandon Weeden to start. So what do you think of him now?

Answer: He started 15 games, was 5-10 and his season is probably over with shoulder injury.

Q: That's no answer, try again.

A: That's my problem. I don't know what to say about Weeden. I don't think he's terrible.

Q: That's the best you can do?

A: I hate rookie quarterbacks because they are rookies.

Q: What does that mean?

A: I'm not going to drag out all the stats on even great quarterbacks such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Troy Aikman and others. OK, Terry Bradshaw had six touchdown passes and 24 interceptions as a rookie. In 10 games, John Elway had seven touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Bernie Kosar completed 50 percent of his passes, with eight touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 69.3 rating as a rookie.

Q: Are you actually comparing Weeden to those guys?

A: Of course not. I'm pointing out the problem with evaluating him on one year with a bad team that has been an awful franchise since it returned in 1999. Weeden was the 10th different opening day starter since 1999.

Q: Have any quarterbacks left here and gone on to be viable NFL starters?

A: The last was Vinnie Testaverde, and that was the old Browns.

Q: So what does that tell you?

A: Either the Browns always draft the wrong quarterback, or the quarterback in the orange helmet gets his career killed here. The only recent exception is Jeff Garcia. He was effective before the Browns, awful here in 2004, and then went on to have a couple of decent years later.

Q: Does Weeden have the worst quarterback rating among the five rookie starters?

A: Yes, he's at 72.6, which is No. 32 overall. But [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 29. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 28.

Q: Tannehill is rated higher than Luck?

A: That's my problem with quarterback ratings. I don't fully understand them. I question what they reveal. Luck is penalized for his 18 interceptions and his 54.3 percent completions. But he's thrown 21 touchdown passes, and his team is a surprising 10-5. Tannehill has 12 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions. His completion rate is 58.4 for a 7-8 team. Not a single NFL coach or executive would take Tannehill over Luck, yet he's rated higher.

Q: What does that have to do with Weeden?

A: If you dig through the rookie quarterbacks, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]has stunning stats: 20 touchdowns, five interceptions, 66.4 completions and a 104.1 rating. But get this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (13 touchdowns, five interceptions) has the same 104.1 rating. Smith has lost his starting quarterback job to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Q: Why aren't you talking about Weeden?

A: Maybe the rookie quarterback having the best season is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. His Seattle team is 10-5. He has 25 touchdowns compared to 10 interceptions. His rating is 98.0. Tell me how he isn't rated higher than Alex Smith? Anyway, Wilson wasn't even supposed to start. Seattle signed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but Wilson won the job, and he wins games.

Q: Do you ever plan to talk about Weeden?

A: OK, I still like his arm. He doesn't throw down field as much as he should. I'm still not sure how much of that is part of the West Coast Offense which accents short-to-medium, quick-release passes. Or some of it may be Weeden trying to avoid sacks and interceptions by settling for the short pass. But the fact is every defensive coordinator knows he can throw long.

Q: Does he really shy away from long throws?

A: That question made me do some research. Weeden is 11-of-51 on passes of at least 21 yards. I randomly picked some others and checked: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (19-of-48), [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (11-of-44), Griffin (12-of-31), Tannehill (14-of-42), Wilson (18-of-53), Peyton Manning (23-of-58) and Luck (26-of-83). So Weeden is throwing deep more than most quarterbacks.

Q: When are you going to give an opinion?

A: You can say Weeden is 29 and should be more advanced than most rookies. But the NFL is a different game, and most rookies have rough years. One stat that bothers me is this: The Browns were 4-4 at home, but Weeden had five touchdown passes compared to 12 interceptions (58.5 rating) on the shores of Lake Erie. He has nine touchdowns, five interceptions and an 87.0 rating on the road. Of course, the Browns are 1-6 on the road. But you'd want Weeden to play better at home.

Q: Is there a bottom line?

A: If Weeden were simply terrible, it would be easy to say, "Next"; when it comes to quarterbacks. Despite his low rating (only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]is worse among starters), I don't see Weeden as a hopeless case. I still prefer him to Colt McCoy, who is a solid backup. It's possible Weeden would be more productive is a system where most of his passing comes from the shotgun. But I doubt that instantly makes him an impact player.

Q: So what should the Browns do?

A: The problem is this -- if not Weeden, then who in 2013? Alex Smith will probably be available as a free agent. In the draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and No. 24, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at No. 25. Todd McShay's top two quarterbacks are Smith (No. 23) and Barkley (No. 30). This is nothing like the Luck/Griffin quarterback draft of 2012.

Q: Does it seem like they probably should stick with Weeden?

A: There may not be any other real alternatives. He will probably have a new coaching staff, a new system. But at least he won't be a rookie. When it comes to Weeden, I'm lukewarm mostly because I don't have a better idea at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Interesting read. Empty Re: Interesting read.

Post by Admin Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 am

Dmounts wrote:Talking to myself and trying to figure out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Answer: He started 15 games, was 5-10 and his season is probably over with shoulder injury.

A: That's my problem. I don't know what to say about Weeden. I don't think he's terrible.

A: I'm not going to drag out all the stats on even great quarterbacks such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Troy Aikman and others. OK, Terry Bradshaw had six touchdown passes and 24 interceptions as a rookie. In 10 games, John Elway had seven touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Bernie Kosar completed 50 percent of his passes, with eight touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 69.3 rating as a rookie.

A: Of course not. I'm pointing out the problem with evaluating him on one year with a bad team that has been an awful franchise since it returned in 1999. Weeden was the 10th different opening day starter since 1999.

A: Either the Browns always draft the wrong quarterback, or the quarterback in the orange helmet gets his career killed here. The only recent exception is Jeff Garcia. He was effective before the Browns, awful here in 2004, and then went on to have a couple of decent years later.

Q: Does Weeden have the worst quarterback rating among the five rookie starters?

A: Yes, he's at 72.6, which is No. 32 overall. But [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 29. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 28.

A: That's my problem with quarterback ratings. I don't fully understand them. I question what they reveal. Luck is penalized for his 18 interceptions and his 54.3 percent completions. But he's thrown 21 touchdown passes, and his team is a surprising 10-5. Tannehill has 12 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions. His completion rate is 58.4 for a 7-8 team. Not a single NFL coach or executive would take Tannehill over Luck, yet he's rated higher.

A: If you dig through the rookie quarterbacks, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]has stunning stats: 20 touchdowns, five interceptions, 66.4 completions and a 104.1 rating. But get this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (13 touchdowns, five interceptions) has the same 104.1 rating. Smith has lost his starting quarterback job to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A: Maybe the rookie quarterback having the best season is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. His Seattle team is 10-5. He has 25 touchdowns compared to 10 interceptions. His rating is 98.0. Tell me how he isn't rated higher than Alex Smith? Anyway, Wilson wasn't even supposed to start. Seattle signed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but Wilson won the job, and he wins games.

A: OK, I still like his arm. He doesn't throw down field as much as he should. I'm still not sure how much of that is part of the West Coast Offense which accents short-to-medium, quick-release passes. Or some of it may be Weeden trying to avoid sacks and interceptions by settling for the short pass. But the fact is every defensive coordinator knows he can throw long.

A: That question made me do some research. Weeden is 11-of-51 on passes of at least 21 yards. I randomly picked some others and checked: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (19-of-48), [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (11-of-44), Griffin (12-of-31), Tannehill (14-of-42), Wilson (18-of-53), Peyton Manning (23-of-58) and Luck (26-of-83). So Weeden is throwing deep more than most quarterbacks.

A: You can say Weeden is 29 and should be more advanced than most rookies. But the NFL is a different game, and most rookies have rough years. One stat that bothers me is this: The Browns were 4-4 at home, but Weeden had five touchdown passes compared to 12 interceptions (58.5 rating) on the shores of Lake Erie. He has nine touchdowns, five interceptions and an 87.0 rating on the road. Of course, the Browns are 1-6 on the road. But you'd want Weeden to play better at home.

A: If Weeden were simply terrible, it would be easy to say, "Next"; when it comes to quarterbacks. Despite his low rating (only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]is worse among starters), I don't see Weeden as a hopeless case. I still prefer him to Colt McCoy, who is a solid backup. It's possible Weeden would be more productive is a system where most of his passing comes from the shotgun. But I doubt that instantly makes him an impact player.

A: The problem is this -- if not Weeden, then who in 2013? Alex Smith will probably be available as a free agent. In the draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and No. 24, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at No. 25. Todd McShay's top two quarterbacks are Smith (No. 23) and Barkley (No. 30). This is nothing like the Luck/Griffin quarterback draft of 2012.

A: There may not be any other real alternatives. He will probably have a new coaching staff, a new system. But at least he won't be a rookie. When it comes to Weeden, I'm lukewarm mostly because I don't have a better idea at the moment.
I have watched a lot of Browns games over the past 2 years. My opinion is this: It ain't the QB. You have poor play from your WRs, poor offensive schemes by HC & OC. This creates bad situations- where you ask an inexperienced QB to bail you out with mediocre talent at the receiver position. This in turn puts a decent defense in a hole too much. thus.... you end up with a record like you all have. The Browns HAVE talent... it's being misused in my opinion.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wyckedheart8 Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Dmounts wrote:Talking to myself and trying to figure out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

lol!
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down