Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat

4 posters

Go down

Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat Empty Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat

Post by duck Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am

HD, you'll enjoy this piece I just read in my morning paper.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat Empty Re: Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:06 pm

[quote="duck"]HD, you'll enjoy this piece I just read in my morning paper.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Yup... Basically what Fisher was saying was that the Jimbo--through his idiocy--just pretty much handed them the fucking game... He had to get cute and starting making game-management decisions with risk profiles WAY fucking skewed out of his favor... Same thing he did with the Kaepernick decision...

Now, there are things I do like about Harbaugh... I do like the fact that he is willing to make a bold decision. I do like his *I don't give a shit* disposition. I do like his forays into unconventional wisdom. I do like that he strives to be his own man. None of these things however are the problem--so here's the fucking rub--HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE HORSEPOWER UPSTAIRS to pull off the game he tries to play. Very few do...and that's been, and will continue to be, his undoing...

You see, Duck--if you're going to take a bold stand in the application of unconventional wisdom--then you need to fucking know WHEN the circumstance is right to pull that arrow from your quiver. You need to have the wisdom and experience to see an aberration developing in front of you that compels the foray into the risk with the aberrant likelihood of a better than even reward. Unconventional wisdom says--*OK, fuck--you're going to choose go long with short odds--you better be God damn sure you're right on this--or I will punish you dearly* Conventional wisdom becomes conventional through millions of years of evolution. Not just any slapdick jock who stumbles in from a career as a grade C NFL QB is going to consistently see when the card count is decidedly in your favor and you should double-down... You see? The Jimbo often thinks he has the favorable card count--and makes decisions based on that--when he's just plain not astute enough to properly assess where the count lies...

No, Duck... Beyond that, the jimbo is the type who, in the course of stupid decision-making in his life was periodically rewarded for it by just plain luck... From there his ego took over and the die was cast... Look at Jim!... Wow! What a bold decision to stick his arm wrapped in fucking bacon right into the mouth of that hungry crocodile... How did he know it wasn't going the snap it right off! What a fucking genius! It's just classical conditioning Duck... He needs to do it to continue to be who he perceives himself to be... The many failures are rationalized away until the next success can come along to make people like the Jimbo restore his faith in his own greatness--and thus fuel further poorly considered (yet bold) decisions along future's path...

That's at least the third game now as SF head coach where, through his own complete fucking (yet bold) idiocy, he snared defeat from the jaws of victory...

In summation-- He tries... Yes, he does... However, the final analysis exposes him as a pretender--faking a critical element necessary to carry his game that he simply doesn't have the genetics to make... Father Time exposes pretenders... You'll see, my friend... Cool

Back to top Go down

Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat Empty Re: Many gloat when Harbaugh's the goat

Post by duck Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 pm

[quote="_HD_"]
duck wrote:HD, you'll enjoy this piece I just read in my morning paper.

Yup... Basically what Fisher was saying was that the Jimbo--through his idiocy--just pretty much handed them the fucking game... He had to get cute and starting making game-management decisions with risk profiles WAY fucking skewed out of his favor... Same thing he did with the Kaepernick decision...

Now, there are things I do like about Harbaugh... I do like the fact that he is willing to make a bold decision. I do like his *I don't give a shit* disposition. I do like his forays into unconventional wisdom. I do like that he strives to be his own man. None of these things however are the problem--so here's the fucking rub--HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE HORSEPOWER UPSTAIRS to pull off the game he tries to play. Very few do...and that's been, and will continue to be, his undoing...

You see, Duck--if you're going to take a bold stand in the application of unconventional wisdom--then you need to fucking know WHEN the circumstance is right to pull that arrow from your quiver. You need to have the wisdom and experience to see an aberration developing in front of you that compels the foray into the risk with the aberrant likelihood of a better than even reward. Unconventional wisdom says--*OK, fuck--you're going to choose go long with short odds--you better be God damn sure you're right on this--or I will punish you dearly* Conventional wisdom becomes conventional through millions of years of evolution. Not just any slapdick jock who stumbles in from a career as a grade C NFL QB is going to consistently see when the card count is decidedly in your favor and you should double-down... You see? The Jimbo often thinks he has the favorable card count--and makes decisions based on that--when he's just plain not astute enough to properly assess where the count lies...

No, Duck... Beyond that, the jimbo is the type who, in the course of stupid decision-making in his life was periodically rewarded for it by just plain luck... From there his ego took over and the die was cast... Look at Jim!... Wow! What a bold decision to stick his arm wrapped in fucking bacon right into the mouth of that hungry crocodile... How did he know it wasn't going the snap it right off! What a fucking genius! It's just classical conditioning Duck... He needs to do it to continue to be who he perceives himself to be... The many failures are rationalized away until the next success can come along to make people like the Jimbo restore his faith in his own greatness--and thus fuel further poorly considered (yet bold) decisions along future's path...

That's at least the third game now as SF head coach where, through his own complete fucking (yet bold) idiocy, he snared defeat from the jaws of victory...

In summation-- He tries... Yes, he does... However, the final analysis exposes him as a pretender--faking a critical element necessary to carry his game that he simply doesn't have the genetics to make... Father Time exposes pretenders... You'll see, my friend... Cool

Well HD, just as you're willing to throw Jimbo some bones, I'm willing to acknowledge his failings. I've already knocked him for his handling of the QB situation and was happy to post this piece about Fisher out-coaching him. Clearly, as a young coach he has much to learn.

Harbaugh isn't -- nor does he have to be -- a genius. Intellectual horsepower is an unnecessary, almost wasted, attribute in the NFL coaching world. As you've correctly pointed out, McCarthy is often unbearably slow in picking up on certain trends, but as a man who relies heavily on systems and self-evaluations, he eventually gets things right.

Harbaugh is going to learn from his mistakes. He's going to learn not to call certain plays in certain situations and how to game plan better, especially against the masters. He will have to learn how to better manage his players and submerge his hubris as well. There is much work to be done by Jimbo.

However, as you acknowledge, he possesses great energy and boldness, and I would argue, charisma.

Harbaugh's not going anywhere. He'll be coaching in this league for a long long time. He's pretty darn good already but he's only going to get better. In fact I would call him a diamond in the rough.

To throw it back at you: we'll see.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 pm

[quote="duck"]
_HD_ wrote:

Well HD, just as you're willing to throw Jimbo some bones, I'm willing to acknowledge his failings. I've already knocked him for his handling of the QB situation and was happy to post this piece about Fisher out-coaching him. Clearly, as a young coach he has much to learn.

Harbaugh isn't -- nor does he have to be -- a genius. Intellectual horsepower is an unnecessary, almost wasted, attribute in the NFL coaching world. As you've correctly pointed out, McCarthy is often unbearably slow in picking up on certain trends, but as a man who relies heavily on systems and self-evaluations, he eventually gets things right.

Harbaugh is going to learn from his mistakes. He's going to learn not to call certain plays in certain situations and how to game plan better, especially against the masters. He will have to learn how to better manage his players and submerge his hubris as well. There is much work to be done by Jimbo.

However, as you acknowledge, he possesses great energy and boldness, and I would argue, charisma.

Harbaugh's not going anywhere. He'll be coaching in this league for a long long time. He's pretty darn good already but he's only going to get better. In fact I would call him a diamond in the rough.

Wow! Intellectual horsepower is an unnecessary, almost wasted, attribute in the NFL coaching world. Really? That's got to be the most idiotic thing you've ever offered on these boards, Duck... I don't know anything in life--other than trying your best to be a champion dumbass--where it's better to be stupid than smart... Very Happy

Beyond that, Duck...your belief that the Jimbo's admitted failings result primarily from inexperience is completely off the mark, in my view... At some point within the intermediate term, his results will peak--and begin backsliding from there as his credibility among the troops wanes... He doesn't appear to understand that true leadership is so much more than what you say--it's what you do--and consistently... Those who don't have the rah/rah substance to back up the rah/rah speak--find their shelf-life short... Just ask Steve Mariucci, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 pm

[quote="_HD_"]
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Wow! Intellectual horsepower is an unnecessary, almost wasted, attribute in the NFL coaching world. Really? That's got to be the most idiotic thing you've ever offered on these boards, Duck... I don't know anything in life--other than trying your best to be a champion dumbass--where it's better to be stupid than smart... Very Happy

Beyond that, Duck...your belief that the Jimbo's admitted failings result primarily from inexperience is completely off the mark, in my view... At some point within the intermediate term, his results will peak--and begin backsliding from there as his credibility among the troops wanes... He doesn't appear to understand that true leadership is so much more than what you say--it's what you do--and consistently... Those who don't have the rah/rah substance to back up the rah/rah speak--find their shelf-life short... Just ask Steve Mariucci, eh?

Oh come on, HD, you know exactly what I'm saying with my comment about intellectual horsepower being unnecessary in the NFL. You yourself often lament the overall lack of brain cells among coaches.

The truth is you don't have to be a genius to be a good coach. You have to be competent for sure -- and I never suggested stupidity was favorable -- but mostly you have to understand the game and know how to motivate your players.

There are/were some good cerebral coaches. Bill Walsh jumps to mind. However many more led with their heart and emotions. Vince Lombardi, anyone?
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

[quote="duck"]
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Oh come on, HD, you know exactly what I'm saying with my comment about intellectual horsepower being unnecessary in the NFL. You yourself often lament the overall lack of brain cells among coaches.

The truth is you don't have to be a genius to be a good coach. You have to be competent for sure -- and I never suggested stupidity was favorable -- but mostly you have to understand the game and know how to motivate your players.

There are/were some good cerebral coaches. Bill Walsh jumps to mind. However many more led with their heart and emotions. Vince Lombardi, anyone?

...very good, Duck... So now we close the loop with--what do you absolutely need to effectively lead with heart/emotions? That's right my friend...credibility... To believe you need trust...and trust quickly packs its bags and heads south if you establish that your heart/emotions can't be trusted and relied upon. So long, credibility... You can't love Alex...then love Colin...then love Alex again--just because, moment by moment, you think that might be in your selfish best interests--because you see--that's not love... That's instead an intellectual process--which is fine...but then don't profess to have a connection to me with your heart. That's the credibility void that the Jimbo can't span...as many, like Alex, who make the leap will soon learn as they pick themselves up off the bottom of the canyon floor with no Jimbo is sight--and profess to tune out his bullshit forevermore as a result... Cool

Finally, thank you. Vince Lombardi is a perfect example of what I've been saying... Many of his players hated his guts--but to a MAN, they respected him. Why? Credibility. He did what he said and he said what he did. There were no exceptions...and he didn't play favorites--that's why you hear all of the old timers talking about how there wasn't a man on that team who wouldn't step out in front of a bus for Vince--and that's ultimately why Vince took a disparate group of largely drunks, hacks and the marginally-talented...and consistently produced a team that just, quite frankly, refused to let each other down in accepting defeat... ...and you think the Jimbo will prove capable of carrying that torch? Fuck--as I've been saying, he's tries--but doesn't prove to possess the substance to make it real... Not by a wide margin.

Last edited by _HD_ on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 6 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Say what you will about Harbaugh but most coaches in the league would love to have his roster.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:29 pm

milani wrote:Say what you will about Harbaugh but most coaches in the league would love to have his roster.

Yup--just like most coaches in the league would have given their left nut for the roster that Mike Sherman was handed to work with... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm

--just like most coaches in the league would have given their left nut for the roster that Mike Sherman was handed to work with... Wink

Only #4, Bubba, Henderson, Donald, Vonnie, and the offensive line. Throw in an aging LeRoy Butler and that was about all that he had when he took the team.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 pm

milani wrote:--just like most coaches in the league would have given their left nut for the roster that Mike Sherman was handed to work with... Wink

Only #4, Bubba, Henderson, Donald, Vonnie, and the offensive line. Throw in an aging LeRoy Butler and that was about all that he had when he took the team.

Really? Well then, I guess you didn't think much of Dorsey Levens or a scrub named Ahman Green or Santana Dotson or Nate Wayne or Gilbert Brown or Kabeer Gbaja-Biamilla or Billy Schroeder or Antonio Freeman or Darren Sharper or Ryan Longwell, among others...eh?

Along with that O-line Wolf built and the others you mentioned--they were stocked, Milani... Keep up the good work... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 pm

HD: Vince took a disparate group of largely drunks, hacks and the marginally-talented...

Throw in violent and ill-tempered and you've pretty much defined the character of the entire NFL. Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 pm

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:--just like most coaches in the league would have given their left nut for the roster that Mike Sherman was handed to work with... Wink

Really? Well then, I guess you didn't think much of Dorsey Levens or a scrub named Ahman Green or Santana Dotson or Nate Wayne or Gilbert Brown or Kabeer Gbaja-Biamilla or Billy Schroeder or Antonio Freeman or Darren Sharper or Ryan Longwell, among others...eh?

Along with that O-line Wolf built and the others you mentioned--they were stocked, Milani... Keep up the good work... Laughing

Hmmm. I detect a slight rift in the HD-Milani axis. Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Hmmm. I detect a slight rift in the HD-Milani axis. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Just a slight tremor on the Richter scale. Nothing too serious.

STOCKED??
Dorsey, Freeman, Santana, and Gilbert were pretty much done for when Professor Sherman got there.
Sharper was never as good as Eugene or Chuck Cecil. Even Nick Collins was better. Sharper is the one responsible for letting Owens make the " caught it " play that beat us in 1998. He's a better analyst than he was a safety.
Nate Wayne and Schroeder? You got to be kidding me.
I will admit Green was a godsend but he only got to play because Dorsey got hurt in 2000. Coach Sherman was wise enough to give him the job permanently and let Dorsey go to Philly and acquire Najeh and Tony Fisher.

Longwell.. You got me there. He was brilliant until we no longer had a decent holder in 2005. Could not kickoff worth didley but he makes Crosby look like a Pop Warner kicker.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Bill Schroeder was barely a fifth string NFL receiver, but playing as a starter nonetheless.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Bill Schroeder was barely a fifth string NFL receiver, but playing as a starter nonetheless.

LOL! Perennial 1000 yard receiver--but the paint-thinner crowd typically can never let go of whatever some dumb-ass sportswriter with a chip on his shoulder wants them to believe... Amusing--but only to the slightly twisted--like me... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm

_HD_ wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:Bill Schroeder was barely a fifth string NFL receiver, but playing as a starter nonetheless.

LOL! Perennial 1000 yard receiver--but the paint-thinner crowd typically can never let go of whatever some dumb-ass sportswriter with a chip on his shoulder wants them to believe... Amusing--but only to the slightly twisted--like me... Laughing

Well, he wasn't exactly a perennial 1000 yard receiver... he hit that level once but came damn close two other years. However, I agree with you, HD. He was a serious talent and deserved to be on your list of the good players Sherman inherited.

Schroeder was unpopular, and never a particular favorite of mine because he seemed to have a knack for the untimely mistake, but you can't deny his athleticism. He had good size and, I believe, was the fastest Packer while he was on the team. Very similar to Jordy Nelson in fact.

However, getting back to the central point of this discussion, I don't think there is any doubt Sherman inherited a solid nucleus of players from the Holmgren (and briefly Rhodes) teams. The fact that he denies it is one of the reasons Milani makes all of us scratch our heads from time to time.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Well, he wasn't exactly a perennial 1000 yard receiver... he hit that level once but came damn close two other years. However, I agree with you, HD. He was a serious talent and deserved to be on your list of the good players Sherman inherited.

LOL! Duck, please... You're seriously going to nitpick my characterization of Schroeder as a *perennial 1000 yard receiver because he missed three digits by a lousy 82 yards in only 14 games one year while leading the entire fucking NFL in YPC that year--and by a single fucking yard in another? Look at this three year average for God's sake... Shocked Thor? Duck could use your bone-gobbling skills... His socks are getting a bit too tight, I fear... Very Happy

2001[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1414 5391817.367T9
2000[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1616 6599915.455T4
1999[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1616 741,05114.2515

Schroeder was unpopular, and never a particular favorite of mine because he seemed to have a knack for the untimely mistake, but you can't deny his athleticism. He had good size and, I believe, was the fastest Packer while he was on the team. Very similar to Jordy Nelson in fact.

The primary reason Billy wasn't liked was that he was aloof to the hick-a-lick WI sports journalists... Much like Randy Moss--they then, therefore, made sure with their pens that he paid a price for his unwillingness to play their game. Before you knew it--Billy was saddled with an unflattering image--and he didn't really give a shit enough to go out of his way to dispel it... Of course--from there, the GB paint-thinner brigade--believing whatever they read with next to zero capacity for critical thought--could never bring themselves to acknowledge that Billy was even a starting caliber WR--let alone a damn good one for a few years there... Yeah--he was a bit of a punk with a chip on his shoulder--but that has no bearing whatsoever on how his accomplishments on the field should be perceived...

However, getting back to the central point of this discussion, I don't think there is any doubt Sherman inherited a solid nucleus of players from the Holmgren (and briefly Rhodes) teams. The fact that he denies it is one of the reasons Milani makes all of us scratch our heads from time to time.

From time to time? Jeezus, Duck... Have you made the trip north already to suck a little legal smoke? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 am

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

LOL! Duck, please... You're seriously going to nitpick my characterization of Schroeder as a *perennial 1000 yard receiver because he missed three digits by a lousy 82 yards in only 14 games one year while leading the entire fucking NFL in YPC that year--and by a single fucking yard in another? Look at this three year average for God's sake... Shocked Thor? Duck could use your bone-gobbling skills... His socks are getting a bit too tight, I fear... Very Happy

2001[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1414 5391817.367T9
2000[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1616 6599915.455T4
1999[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 1616 741,05114.2515

The primary reason Billy wasn't liked was that he was aloof to the hick-a-lick WI sports journalists... Much like Randy Moss--they then, therefore, made sure with their pens that he paid a price for his unwillingness to play their game. Before you knew it--Billy was saddled with an unflattering image--and he didn't really give a shit enough to go out of his way to dispel it... Of course--from there, the GB paint-thinner brigade--believing whatever they read with next to zero capacity for critical thought--could never bring themselves to acknowledge that Billy was even a starting caliber WR--let alone a damn good one for a few years there... Yeah--he was a bit of a punk with a chip on his shoulder--but that has no bearing whatsoever on how his accomplishments on the field should be perceived...

From time to time? Jeezus, Duck... Have you made the trip north already to suck a little legal smoke? Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jeez, HD, save it for when I really disagree with you. I take your side in this minor rift in the HD-Milani axis. Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:32 am

duck wrote:However, getting back to the central point of this discussion, I don't think there is any doubt Sherman inherited a solid nucleus of players from the Holmgren (and briefly Rhodes) teams. The fact that he denies it is one of the reasons Milani makes all of us scratch our heads from time to time.

He either really doesn't understand anything about the team or sport he allegedly follows, and he's too stupid to know what he doesn't know, or he's a flat-out Vikings fan troll. When you read 100 of someone's posts, and 99 of them have you struggling to fight the urge to inject Clorox into your veins... well, that's just terrible.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 am

Bill Schroeder?? Nice kid. But when Coach HOLMGREN has to grab you by the throat on the sideline you know you probably don't belong in the NFL.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 am

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:However, getting back to the central point of this discussion, I don't think there is any doubt Sherman inherited a solid nucleus of players from the Holmgren (and briefly Rhodes) teams. The fact that he denies it is one of the reasons Milani makes all of us scratch our heads from time to time.

He either really doesn't understand anything about the team or sport he allegedly follows, and he's too stupid to know what he doesn't know, or he's a flat-out Vikings fan troll. When you read 100 of someone's posts, and 99 of them have you struggling to fight the urge to inject Clorox into your veins... well, that's just terrible.

Inject Clorox? That has a very harsh sound to it. Let's just call it getting a Milani Buzz.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:34 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:

Inject Clorox? That has a very harsh sound to it. Let's just call it getting a Milani Buzz.

LOL! Neither of you fine chaps have ever been to Iowa, I see...Laughing

It's bad enough to have to drive through or fly over--but I've been pheasant hunting down there before--you know, where you actually have to rub shoulders with some of the locals... Whoa--it's a trip to another dimension. Milani is probably the President of the fucking Chamber of Commerce AND the Welcome Wagon lady (yeah--they probably still have those) there... In fact--when the little zit-faced punk taking my order at the Wendy's or whatever engaged me in conversation out of the fucking blue apparently about his misgivings related to a corporate takeover at the time of Marvel Group (comic book empire)--if not for the good graces of Johnny Jolly sending the Jimmy John's dude up with a couple of Dixie cups full of Sizzurp--I'm not sure I would have made it out without something cooking up in the back half of my brain... LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Johnny Jolly!!! Thank You. Now we need to petition Goodell to let him come back. He could start tomorrow. Any amount of weight to plug up decimated line.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum