Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

3 posters

Go down

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots Empty Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract.

Wallace visited SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday to discuss his pending trip to restricted free agency. Specifically, he was asked if he'd be interested in playing for the 49ers or Patriots, two teams in dire need of a vertical threat like him.

"Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams," said Wallace, who averaged 18.7 yards per catch in his first three NFL seasons. "I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece ... most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams."

But, Wallace later added, "I wouldn't want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at with a great quarterback, a great organization or go somewhere where I don't feel like I could succeed."

It's important to note Wallace didn't suggest San Francisco and New England as landing spots. He was asked a question about those teams, and he answered honestly. Nevertheless, this probably will cause all sorts of consternation in the Steel City, especially since Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money," and Pittsburgh doesn't have the salary-cap room to use a $9 million franchise tag on him.

Meanwhile, the thought of Wallace effortlessly gliding under 60-yard bombs from Tom Brady just sent the majority of Jets fans into catatonic shock. Someone call Fireman Ed's emergency contact.

Back to top Go down

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots Empty Re: Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

Post by foghorn Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract.

Wallace visited SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday to discuss his pending trip to restricted free agency. Specifically, he was asked if he'd be interested in playing for the 49ers or Patriots, two teams in dire need of a vertical threat like him.

"Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams," said Wallace, who averaged 18.7 yards per catch in his first three NFL seasons. "I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece ... most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams."

But, Wallace later added, "I wouldn't want to go anywhere and leave the situation where I am at with a great quarterback, a great organization or go somewhere where I don't feel like I could succeed."

It's important to note Wallace didn't suggest San Francisco and New England as landing spots. He was asked a question about those teams, and he answered honestly. Nevertheless, this probably will cause all sorts of consternation in the Steel City, especially since Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money," and Pittsburgh doesn't have the salary-cap room to use a $9 million franchise tag on him.

Meanwhile, the thought of Wallace effortlessly gliding under 60-yard bombs from Tom Brady just sent the majority of Jets fans into catatonic shock. Someone call Fireman Ed's emergency contact.
Personally, I think the sports writers are making Wallace out to be more than he is. Sure, He has numbers. But... was almost invisible the second half of the season. I think he hasn't learned how to run routes to get open.... he has relied on speed alone. In the NFL... everyone has some speed. I don't see him as the value they are talking about. In fact... I see BOTH Brown and Sanders as better Receivers than Wallace. I think Brown is going to be very special. I also don't think the rest of the NFL coaches see Wallace as anything more than a speed guy. I like him, But just how many times can you run straight down the field before the figure you out?
foghorn
foghorn
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots Empty Re: Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 pm

foghorn wrote:
DiehardSteelersfan wrote:Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract.

Personally, I think the sports writers are making Wallace out to be more than he is. Sure, He has numbers. But... was almost invisible the second half of the season. I think he hasn't learned how to run routes to get open.... he has relied on speed alone. In the NFL... everyone has some speed. I don't see him as the value they are talking about. In fact... I see BOTH Brown and Sanders as better Receivers than Wallace. I think Brown is going to be very special. I also don't think the rest of the NFL coaches see Wallace as anything more than a speed guy. I like him, But just how many times can you run straight down the field before the figure you out?

I agree. The Steelers should put the higher tag on him and let the Patriots give us a 1st for him. We can afford to lose Wallace with our other receivers.

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 am

All the Jets would have to do with Wallace is line up Revis, one to one, all game. Wallace won't do shit. That said, if the steelers lose him, and get no more than a late first rounder, someone in the FO needs to be fired. I'd swap Wallace for OT Kalil or OG Decastro...what other rookie would be worth the swap, that's touch to predict!?!?!

Wallace for a middle to top third first rounder? That I could live with...the 31st pick? F that!

I say they cut Ward, Hampton, Kemo, Farrior, Foote, Smith, etc. now, franchise Wallace, then backload a long term contract that frees them up to focus some cheaper veterans that can provide depth at these other positions. there simply is no way to go but to cut these guys, but Ward, Hampton, and Foote could be given the option of laying for the vet minimum...if they really want to stay.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots Empty WALLACE AND HIS ROUTES

Post by wyckedheart8 Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:
foghorn wrote:

I agree. The Steelers should put the higher tag on him and let the Patriots give us a 1st for him. We can afford to lose Wallace with our other receivers.
I agree about his routes, if you all remember back at the end of the 2010 season I said if Wallace could learn how to cut off his routes he could easily become one of the biggest threats in the NFL for the next 8-10 years, IMO he made great strides and improvement in 2011 and with a little help ( Hines Ward if he stays) he could be a hell of a lot better in 2012 Wallace has the ability to take it to the house each time he touches the football
wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Steelers WR Wallace openly flirts with 49ers, Patriots Empty SORRY DIE

Post by wyckedheart8 Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:Mike Wallace arguably is the greatest deep threat in football today, so you can safely assume he'll garner serious interest on the free-agent market if the Steelers can't lock up the wide receiver to a new contract. I didnt see your post on Wallace when I put up mine.

wyckedheart8
wyckedheart8
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down