Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art Modell dies today...

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Art Modell dies today... Empty Art Modell dies today...

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:16 am

I know many of the Brown's fans hated him for what he had done but the City of Cleveland did screw him on a new stadium and he felt it was in his best interest to go to a City that would show more determination to succeed. I had a lot of respect for the guy and he built some really great teams.

Back to top Go down

Art Modell dies today... Empty Re: Art Modell dies today...

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 pm

World just got a little better today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:I know many of the Brown's fans hated him for what he had done but the City of Cleveland did screw him on a new stadium and he felt it was in his best interest to go to a City that would show more determination to succeed. I had a lot of respect for the guy and he built some really great teams.

you had two GIANT egos going against each other in Modell and then Mayor Mike White. Art called the cities bluff and the city didn't budge-at first. Modell had an opportunity to get what he wanted later on but by then his ego got in the way and he was intent on screwing the city leadership and was already working behind the scenes in Baltimore. He chose his fate.RIP Art, not much sympathy from this Browns fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

dnn3m wrote:
DiehardSteelersfan wrote:I know many of the Brown's fans hated him for what he had done but the City of Cleveland did screw him on a new stadium and he felt it was in his best interest to go to a City that would show more determination to succeed. I had a lot of respect for the guy and he built some really great teams.

you had two GIANT egos going against each other in Modell and then Mayor Mike White. Art called the cities bluff and the city didn't budge-at first. Modell had an opportunity to get what he wanted later on but by then his ego got in the way and he was intent on screwing the city leadership and was already working behind the scenes in Baltimore. He chose his fate.RIP Art, not much sympathy from this Browns fan.

I don't blame Art Modell one bit. Once 12 oclock hits, there's no going back and that my friend is what you wanted from Modell. Modell did the right thing. Unfortuately the fans had to suffer because of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Yel right:x why didn't he sell the franchise to some one who would keep it in cleveland? He didn't give a rats ass about cleveland or it's fans. He wanted a stadium that the tax payers would pay for so he could get more money for the sell. He knew he wasn't going to keep the franchise, He never had anything else on his mind but greed. You can't tell me that he moved the team got everything he wanted in baltimore then just 5 years after leaving Cleveland sells the team. The guy was a rotten business man who tryed to crook the city and the fans out of more money so that he could cover his terrible business deals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

I don't blame Art Modell one bit. Once 12 oclock hits, there's no going back and that my friend is what you wanted from Modell. Modell did the right thing. Unfortuately the fans had to suffer because of it.

and I bet you dont think Irsay did anything wrong either :: shaking head:::

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm

dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

The Colts was a completely different situation. It wasn't even close.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

Not at all. Greed and money, bottom line

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 pm

dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

I'm sure "greed" played a big role in forcing Modell to sell his shares of the Raven's. Dude, Modell was strapped for money. He was trying to make a way to have a successful franchise and in the end, he lost. Bottom line; the City of Cleveland made promises to Modell and then tried to renege on them and then after it was too late- made Modell look like the bad guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm

dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

I'm sure "greed" played a big role in forcing Modell to sell his shares of the Raven's. Dude, Modell was strapped for money. He was trying to make a way to have a successful franchise and in the end, he lost. Bottom line; the City of Cleveland made promises to Modell and then tried to renege on them and then after it was too late- made Modell look like the bad guy.

not sure why your sipping the Art kool Aid- I saw the ESPN show on the subject too (which was total Bull shit)

Modell bought the team in 1961 for $4Mil. By 1995 it was worth about 150x that and operating profitably. Business 101 Die. Surely he did not have to move the team in order to get by. Selling a 25% share should have taken care of things nicely. He also flat out lied and said he would not negotiate with other cities while in negotiations with Cleveland The other issue was that he grew tired of dealing with the powers that be in Cleveland. By moving the team he could reap financial reward and also wave his middle finger at Cleveland's corrupt political system. What he forgot about was the loyal fan base that helped build his franchise and fortune. He felt he owed us nothing. Many people were hurt financially and otherwise as a direct result of his dealings. I can understand the motivation to discuss the positive things a man has done during his life after he passes away, but part of his legacy will always be that he screwed over millions of people for his own personal gain- yep one hell of a nice guy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

not sure why your sipping the Art kool Aid- I saw the ESPN show on the subject too (which was total Bull shit)

Modell bought the team in 1961 for $4Mil. By 1995 it was worth about 150x that and operating profitably. Business 101 Die. Surely he did not have to move the team in order to get by. Selling a 25% share should have taken care of things nicely. He also flat out lied and said he would not negotiate with other cities while in negotiations with Cleveland The other issue was that he grew tired of dealing with the powers that be in Cleveland. By moving the team he could reap financial reward and also wave his middle finger at Cleveland's corrupt political system. What he forgot about was the loyal fan base that helped build his franchise and fortune. He felt he owed us nothing. Many people were hurt financially and otherwise as a direct result of his dealings. I can understand the motivation to discuss the positive things a man has done during his life after he passes away, but part of his legacy will always be that he screwed over millions of people for his own personal gain- yep one hell of a nice guy!

Obviously, you and I are not going to see eye-to-eye on this issue. It takes alot of money to run an NFL franchise and if was not making money then he was struggling. The worth of the club is besides the point. In fact, he was forced to sell of shares of the Raven's because he couldn't afford to run it all himself. In the end, he had to sell everything because he wasn't surviving. The guys legacy did not survive as it should because the very thing in which he loved, he had to give it away. Give the guy a break.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

He also fucked Paul Brown. On another note I thought die was against government in the private sector?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Dmounts wrote:He also fucked Paul Brown. On another note I thought die was against government in the private sector?

Die tends to be a walking contradiction at times. Modell was a horible business owner who needed a government bailout, didnt get one so he screws thousands of small business owners and the city of CLeveland but Obama is "scum" Hmmmm:roll:

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 pm

dnn3m wrote:

you had two GIANT egos going against each other in Modelland then Mayor Mike White. Art called the cities bluff and the city didn't budge-at first. Model had an opportunity to get what he wanted later on but by then his ego got in the way and he was intent on screwing the city leadership and was already working behind the scenes in Baltimore. He chose his fate.RIP Art, not much sympathy from this Browns fan.

I don't blame Art Modell one bit. Once 12 o'clock hits, there's no going back and that my friend is what you wanted from Modell. Modell did the right thing. Unfortunately the fans had to suffer because of it.

Bull Fing shit die. You want a new stadium?? Build it your fucking self. The city needs to worry about funding for police and fire. You make no sense in your political stance...at all. Model should have sold..cause he was too much of a cheap ass and couldn't afford to be in the game. I think the browns made out like in the lond run...
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 pm

dnn3m wrote:
Dmounts wrote:He also fucked Paul Brown. On another note I thought die was against government in the private sector?

Die tends to be a walking contradiction at times. Modell was a horible business owner who needed a government bailout, didnt get one so he screws thousands of small business owners and the city of CLeveland but Obama is "scum" Hmmmm:roll:

Totaly agreed!!!
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Toddseahawks wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

you had two GIANT egos going against each other in Modelland then Mayor Mike White. Art called the cities bluff and the city didn't budge-at first. Model had an opportunity to get what he wanted later on but by then his ego got in the way and he was intent on screwing the city leadership and was already working behind the scenes in Baltimore. He chose his fate.RIP Art, not much sympathy from this Browns fan.

I don't blame Art Modell one bit. Once 12 o'clock hits, there's no going back and that my friend is what you wanted from Modell. Modell did the right thing. Unfortunately the fans had to suffer because of it.

Bull Fing shit die. You want a new stadium?? Build it your fucking self. The city needs to worry about funding for police and fire. You make no sense in your political stance...at all. Model should have sold..cause he was too much of a cheap ass and couldn't afford to be in the game. I think the browns made out like in the lond run...

I bet you're one of those people that believe that "the rich don't pay their fair share" kindof guy. Am I right? Dude, whatever. Modell had every right to do what he did because it was his team and the City of Cleveland made promises and then did not keep them period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Dude, everything is not about politics. And I try and keep that over on the other board. You and Todd come over there if you want to discuss politics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Todd Seahawks wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

Bull Fing shit die. You want a new stadium?? Build it your fucking self. The city needs to worry about funding for police and fire. You make no sense in your political stance...at all. Model should have sold..cause he was too much of a cheap ass and couldn't afford to be in the game. I think the browns made out like in the long run...

I bet you're one of those people that believe that "the rich don't pay their fair share" kind of guy. Am I right? Dude, whatever. Modell had every right to do what he did because it was his team and the City of Cleveland made promises and then did not keep them period.

No, the rich need to buy there own toys! NFL is a toy! The should not pay for it unless the people vote on it. You preach this all the time.
You make no sense...
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Toddseahawks wrote:
Todd Seahawks wrote:
dnn3m wrote:

Bull Fing shit die. You want a new stadium?? Build it your fucking self. The city needs to worry about funding for police and fire. You make no sense in your political stance...at all. Model should have sold..cause he was too much of a cheap ass and couldn't afford to be in the game. I think the browns made out like in the long run...

I bet you're one of those people that believe that "the rich don't pay their fair share" kind of guy. Am I right? Dude, whatever. Modell had every right to do what he did because it was his team and the City of Cleveland made promises and then did not keep them period.

No, the rich need to buy there own toys! NFL is a toy! The should not pay for it unless the people vote on it. You preach this all the time.
You make no sense...

I make perfect sense too me. So shove that up your pipe and smoke it.

Modell was losing money in the 90's and he had to find away to survive. Cleveland made promises to Modell to help him keep the team in Cleveland and then reneged. Why is this so hard for you to absorb this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Your the one who said the city would not bail out Modell and by not using tax payers money to bailout Modell the Fans had to pay the price.

In other words if an american (owner) of the company doesn't get government bail outs and moves the company overseas so be it. Fuck the family's that had businesse's that depend on that company to help them thrive and god be with the families that actually worked for that company. After all they can all go on some form of government assistents.

But wait your against that too. Right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Dmounts wrote:Your the one who said the city would not bail out Modell and by not using tax payers money to bailout Modell the Fans had to pay the price.

In other words if an american (owner) of the company doesn't get government bail outs and moves the company overseas so be it. Fuck the family's that had businesse's that depend on that company to help them thrive and god be with the families that actually worked for that company. After all they can all go on some form of government assistents.

OMG! Dude, I'm telling you why Modell left Cleveland. I never spent on second researching on where the City of Cleveland was getting their money at or whether or not there was an agreement with the taxpayers for a tax hike. Secondly, there's a big damn difference between the FED Government taking tax money and the states taking it. The states have the authority to tax but the FED Government has this thing called the US Constitution that only gives them "very limited powers" to do things but alas, they do it anyhow and yet I digress.

This conversation is over about Modell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Dumonts wrote:Your the one who said the city would not bail out Modelland by not using tax payers money to bailout Model the Fans had to pay the price.

In other words if an american (owner) of the company doesn't get government bail outs and moves the company overseas so be it. Fuck the family's that had businesses that depend on that company to help them thrive and god be with the families that actually worked for that company. After all they can all go on some form of government assistance.

OMG! Dude, I'm telling you why Modell left Cleveland. I never spent on second researching on where the City of Cleveland was getting their money at or whether or not there was an agreement with the taxpayers for a tax hike. Secondly, there's a big damn difference between the FED Government taking tax money and the states taking it. The states have the authority to tax but the FED Government has this thing called the US Constitution that only gives them "very limited powers" to do things but alas, they do it anyhow and yet I digress.

This conversation is over about Model.

No its not.The city..who agreed to bargain....and the economy crashed...and they said...fuck this? Why are you against the city for saying this? He had Avery right to move...and he made a horrible decision, The fact is...he didn't have the funds to play...anywhere. And Cleveland got a team...and everyone is a win win. The system worked perfectly. This is great for america......fuck head. Wake up. Good grief!!!
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Toddseahawks wrote:
Dumonts wrote:Your the one who said the city would not bail out Modelland by not using tax payers money to bailout Model the Fans had to pay the price.

In other words if an american (owner) of the company doesn't get government bail outs and moves the company overseas so be it. Fuck the family's that had businesses that depend on that company to help them thrive and god be with the families that actually worked for that company. After all they can all go on some form of government assistance.

No its not.The city..who agreed to bargain....and the economy crashed...and they said...fuck this? Why are you against the city for saying this? He had Avery right to move...and he made a horrible decision, The fact is...he didn't have the funds to play...anywhere. And Cleveland got a team...and everyone is a win win. The system worked perfectly. This is great for america......fuck head. Wake up. Good grief!!!

Taking this a-little too personal, don't you think? I dont' know what you're smoking but damn...lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm telling you why he's hated.

You need to read the constitution somewhere somehow the highest court in the land just said that the Fed's have a right to pass a tax against the wishes of the people.

The states only have the right to tax on a majority vote put before it's people. If this wasn't so the schools, police, fire, anything the local government wanted money for would be taken as a tax without anybody to answer for it. Heck Modell would have been handed a blank check and told to write it for what you need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Todd Seahawks wrote:

Taking this a-little too personal, don't you think? I don't' know what you're smoking but damn...lol.

Your the one who started the name calling. What makes you think i smoke anything? Personally, i think you need to get high out of your mind and lightened up. You scare me...
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next