Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with the extra point...

2 posters

Go down

What to do with the extra point... Empty What to do with the extra point...

Post by diehardsteersfan Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:45 pm

The extra point is going to change.  One idea coming out of the owners meetings is spotting the ball on the one yard line if you are going for the 2-point conversion or putting the ball on the 15-yard line if you're going to go for the one point.  

I like this idea.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

What to do with the extra point... Empty Re: What to do with the extra point...

Post by Randell60 Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:35 am

diehardsteersfan wrote:The extra point is going to change.  One idea coming out of the owners meetings is spotting the ball on the one yard line if you are going for the 2-point conversion or putting the ball on the 15-yard line if you're going to go for the one point.  

I like this idea.

I always thought breaking the plane of the goal line is a stupid rule. You should have to have both feet in the end zone with the ball in possession for a TD.
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:52 pm

diehardsteersfan wrote:The extra point is going to change.  One idea coming out of the owners meetings is spotting the ball on the one yard line if you are going for the 2-point conversion or putting the ball on the 15-yard line if you're going to go for the one point.  

I like this idea.

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
PHOENIX — League owners apparently want a change in the way points after touchdowns are attempted, and gaining steam for a likely change is a suggestion made by Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
Tomlin, who is in his second year as a member of the league’s competition committee, has suggested the ball be moved to the 1 after a touchdown to encourage more teams to attempt a 2-point conversion.
His suggestion has never been made into a formal proposal, but has generated a lively discussion among the owners the past two days.
Part of that discussion now will include giving teams the option to have the ball spotted between the 1 and 2 for a 2-point conversion, or move the ball to the 15 for a 1-point conversion kick.
“It was a very interesting and lively discussion,” said Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee. “There is a movement to want to change, and want to change this year.”
The owners did not vote on any change Wednesday to the current setup, but have told the competition committee to come up with a proposal that could be passed at their May meeting.
“There is some momentum to do something with the extra point,” Steelers president Art Rooney II said. “There’s a pretty good chance something will change by the time we get to May.”
Under the possible new proposal, if a team elects to attempt a 2-point conversion, the defense can return any fumble or interception for 2 points, similar to the college rule.
“If we’re going to do something, I’d rather see us add an exciting football play as opposed to just making it a harder kick,” Rooney said.
St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee, said there still are some questions about Tomlin’s suggestion that need to be ironed out before it can be put into the form of a proposal.
“If the election is to go for 2 and put the ball on the 1 and there’s a false start, the ball is on the 6,” Fisher said. “Or, if you’re called for holding and the ball is on the 11 now, can you elect to kick after a penalty?
“Does a team with a big, strong, physical quarterback get an advantage because it’s just a quarterback sneak? I think the number of offensive pass interference penalties will increase on the 1 with respect to the picks and things like that. There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed.”

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Randell60 wrote:

I like this idea.

I always thought breaking the plane of the goal line is a stupid rule. You should have to have both feet in the end zone with the ball in possession for a TD.

Both feet?  So your saying that about half of all touchdowns won't count?  I guess we've got to ask then, is that going to help out the Brown's?   lol!

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Randell60 Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:29 am

diehardsteersfan wrote:
Randell60 wrote:

I like this idea.

Both feet?  So your saying that about half of all touchdowns won't count?  I guess we've got to ask then, is that going to help out the Brown's?   lol!

No more than it would help out BR laying two feet from the endzone and then picking the ball up and using slight of hand to reach it to the front edge of that "Imaginary plane." As far as the Browns, they would never score in my new rule...  cheers lol!
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 am

Randell60 wrote:
diehardsteersfan wrote:
Randell60 wrote:

I like this idea.

No more than it would help out BR laying two feet from the endzone and then picking the ball up and using slight of hand to reach it to the front edge of that "Imaginary plane." As far as the Browns, they would never score in my new rule...  cheers lol!

LOL!  Now that's funny.  I was thinking the exact same play in my mind when I typed that.   afro

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 am

Leave it alone it's been good for all of these years quit trying to be everything to everybody.

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:38 am

Dmounts wrote:Leave it alone it's been good for all of these years quit trying to be everything to everybody.

Yea, who are you responding to?  If you reply correctly, you can put the text in yellow just like I did with yours above.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

I like this idea.

I like it too! The extra point is too automatic. If the ball is placed on the 15 yard line, that would make it a 30 yard kick. It puts more emphasis on the kicking game and whether to go for two points or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Steely wrote:

I like this idea.

I like it too! The extra point is too automatic. If the ball is placed on the 15 yard line, that would make it a 30 yard kick. It puts more emphasis on the kicking game and whether to go for two points or not.

You'd get your choice, kick the extra point, spot the ball on the 15 or go for two and spot the ball on the one.  We'd start seeing a lot of two point tries- especially with Le'Veon running the ball.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down