Le'Veon Bell credits Michigan State system for preparing him for monster season with Steelers

Go down

Le'Veon Bell credits Michigan State system for preparing him for monster season with Steelers

Post by fiboploc on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 am

PHOENIX -- It's been nearly three years since an NFL team selected a tailback in the first round of the draft.

Le'Veon Bell is making a lot of teams wish they had.

The former Michigan State star was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round of the 2013 draft, and promptly rushed for 860 yards as a rookie.

And then he blew up.

Bell rushed for 1,361 yards in 2014, which trailing only Dallas' DeMarco Murray. He led all tailbacks with 854 receiving yards.

His 2,215 yards from scrimmage trailed only Murray.

Bell was named a first-team All-Pro for his efforts, and over the weekend was named the FedEx Ground Player of the Year at the NFL Honors ceremony in Phoenix.

What's been the key to all that early success in his career? Bell credits the scheme at Michigan State for making him pro-ready.

"I think Michigan State helped me so much because it was pro-style," he said. "We didn't run a spread offense at Michigan State, so I didn't have to come to the NFL and get adjusted to the pro-style. I was already pro-style ready. Already knew how to pass protect, things like that. That really helped me out."

Bell was lightly recruited out of Groveport, Ohio, but proved to be one of the best players of Mark Dantonio's highly successful reign at Michigan State.

He was a total workhorse during his three-year career, which spanned the 2010-12 seasons. That includes winning the Big Ten rushing title as a junior with 1,793 yards. He ranked third nationally.

His 414 touches overall led the nation.

"I'm glad Michigan State prepped me the way they did, catching the ball out of the backfield, check downs, things like that," Bell said, "and just being able to run the ball out of the backfield."

Bell declared for the draft after his junior season, and that decision has proven to be the right one.

He joined Marshall Faulk as the only tailbacks in NFL history with at least 1,350 rushing yards and 850 receiving yards in a season. He is the only player besides Walter Payton to post three straight 200-yard games from scrimmage.

"It was fun, man," Bell said. "A lot of people can't say that, but I had so much fun my second year. Playing in all types of stadiums, playing in front of Steeler Nation again. It was really exciting for me scoring a lot of touchdowns and getting a lot of yards, joining the likes of Walter Payton.

"It felt amazing, and it felt surreal. It's something I always dreamed about, and I really enjoyed this year."

Bell is already considered one of the best tailbacks in the NFL, but now he is setting his sights on an encore in 2015. He says the best is yet to come.

"I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet," he said. "I feel like there's still a lot of things I can get better at.

"At the end of this year, I go back and look at Week 2, there's some things I look at, like, 'Man, what was I doing? What was I looking at?' And that just lets me know I'm a better player now than I was in Week 2. So I'm really excited coming into my third season, and seeing what I'm able to do. I know I'll surprise a couple people with my numbers."

Even as Bell has gone on to NFL stardom, he keeps close tabs on what's happening back in East Lansing. He didn't make any Michigan State games last season, but watched them all on TV.

That includes, of course, the dramatic 42-41 comeback win against Baylor in the Cotton Bowl.

"I was pissed the whole game ... until the fourth quarter," Bell said. "'Til that last 7 minutes, I was mad the whole game. But I'm glad them boys kept fighting, because I was there in that locker room, and I know how they preach to never stop fighting, never quit. And I'm glad they didn't."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

please no more knee injuries the Steelers can't afford this could be future HOFer.

fiboploc

Back to top Go down

Re: Le'Veon Bell credits Michigan State system for preparing him for monster season with Steelers

Post by diehardsteersfan on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:01 pm

fiboploc wrote:PHOENIX -- It's been nearly three years since an NFL team selected a tailback in the first round of the draft.

Le'Veon Bell is making a lot of teams wish they had.

The former Michigan State star was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round of the 2013 draft, and promptly rushed for 860 yards as a rookie.

And then he blew up.

Bell rushed for 1,361 yards in 2014, which trailing only Dallas' DeMarco Murray. He led all tailbacks with 854 receiving yards.

His 2,215 yards from scrimmage trailed only Murray.

Bell was named a first-team All-Pro for his efforts, and over the weekend was named the FedEx Ground Player of the Year at the NFL Honors ceremony in Phoenix.

What's been the key to all that early success in his career? Bell credits the scheme at Michigan State for making him pro-ready.

"I think Michigan State helped me so much because it was pro-style," he said. "We didn't run a spread offense at Michigan State, so I didn't have to come to the NFL and get adjusted to the pro-style. I was already pro-style ready. Already knew how to pass protect, things like that. That really helped me out."

Bell was lightly recruited out of Groveport, Ohio, but proved to be one of the best players of Mark Dantonio's highly successful reign at Michigan State.

He was a total workhorse during his three-year career, which spanned the 2010-12 seasons. That includes winning the Big Ten rushing title as a junior with 1,793 yards. He ranked third nationally.

His 414 touches overall led the nation.

"I'm glad Michigan State prepped me the way they did, catching the ball out of the backfield, check downs, things like that," Bell said, "and just being able to run the ball out of the backfield."

Bell declared for the draft after his junior season, and that decision has proven to be the right one.

He joined Marshall Faulk as the only tailbacks in NFL history with at least 1,350 rushing yards and 850 receiving yards in a season. He is the only player besides Walter Payton to post three straight 200-yard games from scrimmage.

"It was fun, man," Bell said. "A lot of people can't say that, but I had so much fun my second year. Playing in all types of stadiums, playing in front of Steeler Nation again. It was really exciting for me scoring a lot of touchdowns and getting a lot of yards, joining the likes of Walter Payton.

"It felt amazing, and it felt surreal. It's something I always dreamed about, and I really enjoyed this year."

Bell is already considered one of the best tailbacks in the NFL, but now he is setting his sights on an encore in 2015. He says the best is yet to come.

"I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet," he said. "I feel like there's still a lot of things I can get better at.

"At the end of this year, I go back and look at Week 2, there's some things I look at, like, 'Man, what was I doing? What was I looking at?' And that just lets me know I'm a better player now than I was in Week 2. So I'm really excited coming into my third season, and seeing what I'm able to do. I know I'll surprise a couple people with my numbers."

Even as Bell has gone on to NFL stardom, he keeps close tabs on what's happening back in East Lansing. He didn't make any Michigan State games last season, but watched them all on TV.

That includes, of course, the dramatic 42-41 comeback win against Baylor in the Cotton Bowl.

"I was pissed the whole game ... until the fourth quarter," Bell said. "'Til that last 7 minutes, I was mad the whole game. But I'm glad them boys kept fighting, because I was there in that locker room, and I know how they preach to never stop fighting, never quit. And I'm glad they didn't."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

please no more knee injuries the Steelers can't afford this could be future HOFer.

Le'Veon Bell is young yet, has a chance to break a lot of records.  I love this guy...great hands, has only fumbled the ball one time (stripped out by the Packers), after he came back in on the very next chance he got, busted a long one and made the Packers pay for stripping it out.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Re: Le'Veon Bell credits Michigan State system for preparing him for monster season with Steelers

Post by Randell60 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 am

A special shout out to his pot dealer too....LOL
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by diehardsteersfan on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 am

Randell60 wrote:A special shout out to his pot dealer too....LOL

Blount?   Smile

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down