Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau

2 posters

Go down

Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau Empty Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau

Post by fiboploc Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:54 am

Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau

The council declared February 'Dick Lebeau Month' in the city
February 3, 2015 11:32 PM

By Robert Zullo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a tale that bridged two generations of Steelers fans and had the audience roaring.

Former Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who spent 16 seasons with the team before leaving last month in what was described as a mutual departure, was in city council chambers Tuesday to accept a key to the city and a proclamation declaring February "Dick LeBeau Month."

He recounted a locker-room interview with legendary broadcaster Myron Cope, who died in 2008, effortlessly imitating Cope's staccato Pittsburghese to the immense delight of the crowded room.

"And how about Polamalu tonight? He was everywhere, Beau," mimicked LeBeau, an Ohio native. "What about with the hair? Doesn't that have to slow him down, Beau? Wouldn't he make more plays if you cut his hair off?"

LeBeau's proclamation, read by Councilwoman Darlene Harris, who represents North Side district that includes Heinz Field, said "few people in this world have garnered such deep and abiding admiration of the people of Pittsburgh. We love him for his excellence on the field of play; we love him all the more for the man that he is."

LeBeau, flanked by about a dozen relatives and friends, including Steelers linebacker James Harrison and defensive end Brett Keisel, said the proclamation from the city stands apart from his considerable list of honors, which include two Super Bowl and six AFC championship titles, and membership in the pro football and Western Pennsylvania halls of fame.

"I can't think of anything any greater than an honor from the city that you worked and lived in," LeBeau said. "Quite honestly, it's more than I deserve."

That said, LeBeau, 77, added, it's not more than his players deserve, singling out the 2008 defense that helped seal the Steelers' sixth Super Bowl win. The unit's 237.2 yards per game allowed are the fewest a team has allowed in the past 23 seasons.

"I don't think we'll ever see it again in the National Football League," LeBeau said, listing every player from the unit, from nose tackle Casey Hampton to safety Ryan Clark, and sharing anecdotes. "What they did for us, the memories they created for us, will never be forgotten."

One of those players, Keisel, said LeBeau, credited as the architect of the zone-blitz, will go down as one of the greatest defensive coaches ever.

"But why James is here and why I am here is because of what he did for us off the field," he said. "He was much needed for a group of guys who were wild and crazy and could have easily went the other way. ... I will forever be grateful for his influence in my life. I love you to death coach."

Harrison shied away from a chance to speak, citing "stage fright."

LeBeau's 56-season NFL career, including 14 years as a standout Detroit Lions defensive back and coaching stints with the Cincinnati Bengals, will continue next season with the Tennessee Titans after he was named associate head coach of defense Tuesday night.

Bill Priatko, a former Cleveland Browns and Steelers linebacker who roomed with LeBeau when both were at a 1959 preseason training camp in Cleveland, said LeBeau's emotional ties to Pittsburgh and the Steelers run deep.

"I ran into him two years ago," said Priatko, who lives in North Huntingdon. "He said, 'Bill, I love Pittsburgh. They'll have to kick me out of this town.' He loved being a Pittsburgh Steeler."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

fiboploc

Back to top Go down

Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau Empty Re: Pittsburgh City Council honors longtime Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau

Post by diehardsteersfan Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:09 pm

fiboploc wrote:

The council declared February 'Dick Lebeau Month' in the city
February 3, 2015 11:32 PM

By Robert Zullo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a tale that bridged two generations of Steelers fans and had the audience roaring.

Former Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who spent 16 seasons with the team before leaving last month in what was described as a mutual departure, was in city council chambers Tuesday to accept a key to the city and a proclamation declaring February "Dick LeBeau Month."

He recounted a locker-room interview with legendary broadcaster Myron Cope, who died in 2008, effortlessly imitating Cope's staccato Pittsburghese to the immense delight of the crowded room.

"And how about Polamalu tonight? He was everywhere, Beau," mimicked LeBeau, an Ohio native. "What about with the hair? Doesn't that have to slow him down, Beau? Wouldn't he make more plays if you cut his hair off?"

LeBeau's proclamation, read by Councilwoman Darlene Harris, who represents North Side district that includes Heinz Field, said "few people in this world have garnered such deep and abiding admiration of the people of Pittsburgh. We love him for his excellence on the field of play; we love him all the more for the man that he is."

LeBeau, flanked by about a dozen relatives and friends, including Steelers linebacker James Harrison and defensive end Brett Keisel, said the proclamation from the city stands apart from his considerable list of honors, which include two Super Bowl and six AFC championship titles, and membership in the pro football and Western Pennsylvania halls of fame.

"I can't think of anything any greater than an honor from the city that you worked and lived in," LeBeau said. "Quite honestly, it's more than I deserve."

That said, LeBeau, 77, added, it's not more than his players deserve, singling out the 2008 defense that helped seal the Steelers' sixth Super Bowl win. The unit's 237.2 yards per game allowed are the fewest a team has allowed in the past 23 seasons.

"I don't think we'll ever see it again in the National Football League," LeBeau said, listing every player from the unit, from nose tackle Casey Hampton to safety Ryan Clark, and sharing anecdotes. "What they did for us, the memories they created for us, will never be forgotten."

One of those players, Keisel, said LeBeau, credited as the architect of the zone-blitz, will go down as one of the greatest defensive coaches ever.

"But why James is here and why I am here is because of what he did for us off the field," he said. "He was much needed for a group of guys who were wild and crazy and could have easily went the other way. ... I will forever be grateful for his influence in my life. I love you to death coach."

Harrison shied away from a chance to speak, citing "stage fright."

LeBeau's 56-season NFL career, including 14 years as a standout Detroit Lions defensive back and coaching stints with the Cincinnati Bengals, will continue next season with the Tennessee Titans after he was named associate head coach of defense Tuesday night.

Bill Priatko, a former Cleveland Browns and Steelers linebacker who roomed with LeBeau when both were at a 1959 preseason training camp in Cleveland, said LeBeau's emotional ties to Pittsburgh and the Steelers run deep.

"I ran into him two years ago," said Priatko, who lives in North Huntingdon. "He said, 'Bill, I love Pittsburgh. They'll have to kick me out of this town.' He loved being a Pittsburgh Steeler."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Goodbye Dick LeBeau.  I believe this was the right time to move on though.

diehardsteersfan
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down